Cobra f9 driver review

I just ordered an F9 9* Atmos Black 7X after 2 different tests/fittings. It was between the F9, G400 LST, M5 the Epic was out as soon as I looked at it. To my eye the Epic looked terrible. The F9 was the fastest and had the best carry distance without being high spin. The M5 was slightly longer but that was from being higher launch low spin so it rolled a lot. I don’t get tons of roll on most courses so I went F9. The F9 looked sounded and felt the best also. I also have an Accra TZ5 Shaft on the way to test.

How was the F9 against your Ping G400 LST? I've found the G400 LST to be an incredible club, and I've never been a Ping guy.

The F9 produced faster club head speed and ball speed with similar launch and spin and I gained 9.6 yards carry distance. I thought the LST was the best driver ever made until I hit the F9. The LST may be more forgiving but I haven't got the F9 on the course yet as it will arrive today.I do know my miss hits were still very fast. The low strike I lost almost no ball speed and only saw an increase of about 350 rpm spin which is really impressive. I think the look, sound and feel of the F9 is much better than the LST.

That is pretty incredible. I didn't think that was possible. I thought I was all set with my driver, now I'm going to have to test some.

I just ordered an F9 9* Atmos Black 7X after 2 different tests/fittings. It was between the F9, G400 LST, M5 the Epic was out as soon as I looked at it. To my eye the Epic looked terrible. The F9 was the fastest and had the best carry distance without being high spin. The M5 was slightly longer but that was from being higher launch low spin so it rolled a lot. I don’t get tons of roll on most courses so I went F9. The F9 looked sounded and felt the best also. I also have an Accra TZ5 Shaft on the way to test.

How was the F9 against your Ping G400 LST? I've found the G400 LST to be an incredible club, and I've never been a Ping guy.

The F9 produced faster club head speed and ball speed with similar launch and spin and I gained 9.6 yards carry distance. I thought the LST was the best driver ever made until I hit the F9. The LST may be more forgiving but I haven't got the F9 on the course yet as it will arrive today.I do know my miss hits were still very fast. The low strike I lost almost no ball speed and only saw an increase of about 350 rpm spin which is really impressive. I think the look, sound and feel of the F9 is much better than the LST.

This is exactly what I've experienced. Came from G Ls with custom fit shaft and then a 2 month stint with the F8+. It just feels better and performs when married with the right shaft combo.

Someone tell me what driver to buy, 2019 has far too many great options!!! :'[

Driver: TSR3 10.0* | Accra Tour Z RPG 472 45"

5 Wood: SIM Max 18.5* | Mitsubishi MMT 85TX

2i: Mizuno Fli-Hi 18* | KBS Prototype 95X

3i: Ping i59 @ 21* | Mitsubishi MMT 125TX
4-PW: Callaway TCB Raw | Project X 7.0
Wedges: 50&54&60: Cleveland CBX Zipcore | Project X 6.5
Putter: Cobra Vintage Sport-60

LOL

You're right. This year's crop are ALL pretty darn good. Wonder what the G410 will produce.

But ya gotta try 'em yerself. (cool)

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Ping G20 5-PW DGS300 Yellow Dot

Ping Glide Pro 48*

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 35*, RED, Black Accra

Callaway Tour TruTrack Yellow

LOL

You're right. This year's crop are ALL pretty darn good. Wonder what the G410 will produce.

But ya gotta try 'em yerself. (cool)

I'm worried that I'll run out of time in my driver fitting. Between all the head and shaft options this year....

Guys getting a lot better numbers with the f9 what speed are you swinging the driver? I've seen very fast swingers pick up good yardage but I fall closer to the 105-110 range; generally all drivers produce very similar results for me historically in terms of ballspeed.

I'm in the 115 to 120 range. I actually hit the F9 a few weeks ago and wasn't too impressed, but that was at Golf Galaxy. They have been notorious for not giving a f*** about the shafts they throw on (in my experience).

Driver: TSR3 10.0* | Accra Tour Z RPG 472 45"

5 Wood: SIM Max 18.5* | Mitsubishi MMT 85TX

2i: Mizuno Fli-Hi 18* | KBS Prototype 95X

3i: Ping i59 @ 21* | Mitsubishi MMT 125TX
4-PW: Callaway TCB Raw | Project X 7.0
Wedges: 50&54&60: Cleveland CBX Zipcore | Project X 6.5
Putter: Cobra Vintage Sport-60

Just ordered the 9* with the white paint fill instead of yellow. Black Atmos. I was at 101 mph, 147 ball speed, 13* launch angle and 2400 rpm of spin. All of those are better numbers than my M3. With the weight back, it helps me keep the ball in the air longer. Can't wait for it to arrive!!

GDTBATH, VERY interested in your post as I play the Atmos black tour spec and am coming from a M3. Nearly EVERY fitter I have talked to have said the F9 is knocking the cover off the ball. I don't think there is any question this will be the driver of the year. I have spoken to many guys that truly are brand agnostics and they say the numbers are very impressive. Period. I think Cobra just got it right, here.

I'm typically a TM loyalist (because they always fit me well and perform). But, having hit the M5 and even wanting to love it, the numbers just aren't there for me.

Was VERY happy to see that you are in an Atmos Black and M3 are making the move to the F9. Obviously, we have different swings, but, was glad to see F9 won out for you.

Can I ask which Atmos black you play?

Just ordered the 9* with the white paint fill instead of yellow. Black Atmos. I was at 101 mph, 147 ball speed, 13* launch angle and 2400 rpm of spin. All of those are better numbers than my M3. With the weight back, it helps me keep the ball in the air longer. Can't wait for it to arrive!!

GDTBATH, VERY interested in your post as I play the Atmos black tour spec and am coming from a M3. Nearly EVERY fitter I have talked to have said the F9 is knocking the cover off the ball. I don't think there is any question this will be the driver of the year. I have spoken to many guys that truly are brand agnostics and they say the numbers are very impressive. Period. I think Cobra just got it right, here.

I'm typically a TM loyalist (because they always fit me well and perform). But, having hit the M5 and even wanting to love it, the numbers just aren't there for me.

Was VERY happy to see that you are in an Atmos Black and M3 are making the move to the F9. Obviously, we have different swings, but, was glad to see F9 won out for you.

The put me in the Black Tour Spec 6s. I was coming from the M3 with the Tensei Blue. Caveat, my equipment knowledge is low. I enjoy the new stuff, but don’t know much about what does what lol.

They said a bit lighter shaft would help me get that few hundred extra RPMs. By moving the heavy weight forward, it definitely drops spin if you’re the type that spins too much.

I am pretty agnostic when it comes to woods as well, though the last several years, I’ve had TM in the bag. I wanted to try the new Mizuno, as it looks beautiful, but basically got tired of waiting for them to release the heads. I demo’d the f9 against the M5,M6, Epic Flash and G400 (no 410 heads available where I am yet), and the F9 was giving me 3-4 mph better ball speed consistently than all of those.

Randomly, I finally got a chance just today to demo the new Mizuno driver....beautiful, but not as fast for me.

Can’t wait to get this new Cobra in! It’s my first Cobra product since the driver Tiger and Norman used circa ‘96!

Does anyone know if the Atmos TS black the same as the original Atmos TS with a black paint scheme or is it a "made for" shaft?

It’s the same as original

Any idea if their non-stock options are black painted as well? I went with the Atmos TS Blue 7X

there black. The blue is indicated by the dots at the top end of the shaft below the grip .

I've seen them offer the Black 6S and 6X and the Blue 6S - are they offering the Blue 6X?

Titleist TSi3 10* (at 9.25*) w/ Tour AD DI 6X 
Titleist TSR2 15* w/ Tour AD MJ 8X
Titleist TSR2 18* Hybrid w/ Fuji Atmos Blue Tour Spec 8X

Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3 iron w/ KBS Tour V S HS'd
Titleist 716CB 4-P w/ DG AMT TI X100 SS'd
Vokey SM7 Slate Blue 54.10 (1* strong) and 58.08 with Onyx DGTI S400
PING PLD Anser D 35"

2021 ProV1 or Left Dash ProV1x (or random other tour quality balls LOL)

The put me in the Black Tour Spec 6s. I was coming from the M3 with the Tensei Blue. Caveat, my equipment knowledge is low. I enjoy the new stuff, but don't know much about what does what lol.

They said a bit lighter shaft would help me get that few hundred extra RPMs. By moving the heavy weight forward, it definitely drops spin if you're the type that spins too much.

I am pretty agnostic when it comes to woods as well, though the last several years, I've had TM in the bag. I wanted to try the new Mizuno, as it looks beautiful, but basically got tired of waiting for them to release the heads. I demo'd the f9 against the M5,M6, Epic Flash and G400 (no 410 heads available where I am yet), and the F9 was giving me 3-4 mph better ball speed consistently than all of those.

Randomly, I finally got a chance just today to demo the new Mizuno driver....beautiful, but not as fast for me.

Can't wait to get this new Cobra in! It's my first Cobra product since the driver Tiger and Norman used circa '96!

Don't knock your knowledge buddy - your post was great! There is still a TON that I don't know and I learned a lot from smart people on these forums. I, for one, for your post very helpful given the similarity to my situation. I play the Atmos Black 6X tipped a half an inch. I'm close with the Fuji fellas and they were super kind to engrave my son's name on the shaft. So, it's kinda my baby. To hear that you went F9 from the M3, like I said, was super helpful as that's my plan!

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, anybody else who's hit the F9 have any opinions to share? Maybe folks with sub-WRX swing speeds, like say 95-105 mph?

I am a 105 guy. Previously, I thought I had a high spin problem until I figured out that I am very consistent at hitting it low on the face. I have a +5 angle of attack and swing from the inside and hit a draw mostly. Low spin drivers work well for me on the low face strike thing, but spin way too low on high toe misses.

I hit the F9 9* with the heavy weight forward and smoke 6.5 shaft and was getting around 2400 on middle strikes (which knowing me were still on the low side). Lower ones did seem to spin up in the 3000's, but that's my problem. I think the spin is not crazy low on the head, but probably in a really good spot for someone around 100 mph.

Tee it higher

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, anybody else who's hit the F9 have any opinions to share? Maybe folks with sub-WRX swing speeds, like say 95-105 mph?

I am a 105 guy. Previously, I thought I had a high spin problem until I figured out that I am very consistent at hitting it low on the face. I have a +5 angle of attack and swing from the inside and hit a draw mostly. Low spin drivers work well for me on the low face strike thing, but spin way too low on high toe misses.

I hit the F9 9* with the heavy weight forward and smoke 6.5 shaft and was getting around 2400 on middle strikes (which knowing me were still on the low side). Lower ones did seem to spin up in the 3000's, but that's my problem. I think the spin is not crazy low on the head, but probably in a really good spot for someone around 100 mph.

Tee it higher

or tee move the ball an inch back towards the middle of your stance. Moving address an inch or two can mean the difference between center face contact etc.. etc...

Tee it higher

Or try a slightly heavier swingweight

I am very consistent at hitting it low on the face.

Tee it higher

Or try a slightly heavier swingweight

Have never thought about the swingweight contributing to strike... However, I used to have a lot of low heel misses when I was playing an M2 which was sw D1.5ish. That miss has completely gone away with my current TS3 which is at D4.

SLDR-C

Bobcat signal activated

Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5° | Ventus TR Blue 6s

Taylormade BRNR Mini 13.5° | Hzrdus Yellow 75 6.5

Callaway Apex UW 19° | Hzrdus Smoke Yellow 75 6.5

Callaway XR Pro 23° | Tour AD DI 95x
Maltby TS1 IM/TS4 5-PW | Dynamic Gold S300
Cleveland RTX 6: 50° 56° 60° | KBS Tour Custom 120s Black 

L.A.B. DF 3 Counterbalance 37.5" | TPT Putter Shaft 

Take this for what it's worth: but I just did not see the numbers many have talked about with the F9. It is a FANTASTIC looking driver, especially the white/black version. But I personally was more impressed with the Epic Flash Sub Zero and the Titleist TS3. Keep in mind this was not a professional "fitting." I hit mostly stock stuff in X flex. I used to be a fitter so I know my way around a simulator pretty well.

Bottom line....there is a ton of good stuff out there in 2019. Just hit all of it and decide for yourself.

2023 WITB
Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS 10.5* - MMT 70x
3 Wood: Callaway Paradym TD 15* - Kai'li White 80x

Utility: Callaway X-Forged UT 21*
4-PW: Callaway Apex MBs - Project X 6.0
52* Wedge: Callaway Jaws Raw S Grind
58* Wedge: Callaway Jaws Raw Full Toe
Putter: Odyssey Tri-Hot 5k Double Wide DB

Both teeing it higher and moving the ball back slightly work. Careful with just teeing it higher, though. If you're anything like me, you may subconsciously hit up MORE when you tee it higher and hit the same spot. I have the same tendency to hit low in the face. I was at the range last night and the tee was lower than I normally would hit, so I only hit a handful of Driver shots. Every shot was below the center line by a decent amount. They were all low bullets that went as straight as an arrow (thank you Driver combo). I moved the ball back probably 2 inches of typical and the flight was MUCH lower. I may try this with a higher tee and hopefully hit above center. This may explain my low 1.4 smash factor on Trackman as of late.

Anyway, yes.

Driver: Cobra LTD Pro 7.5o - Kuro Kage DC XT 70 TX - Tipped 1"

UDI: 2019 TaylorMade P790 2i

Irons: 3-PW: Srixon z745 with Modus 130x

Wedges: 52o/56o/60o - Cleveland RTX4s

Putter: Ping Kushin 4