Colorado WRX 2019

pseudoswede

Very helpful. Speaking of fitting/trying things, did anyone know these guys exist? They're about four blocks from my house and you can schedule appointments...

Could be very fun to try a few things out on-course if you're feeling like making a change.

They're actually a sponsor here. There's currently a thread running right now in the Equipment Forum where someone has a beef with them and lasted them pretty good.

They're located in Denver?

They're at 9th and Lincoln, basically. I had no idea until right now.

In other news, I picked up some DG S300 to toss into my backup set of MP32s I bought on the BST. If I can get them installed when I'm home in Alabama and they treat me well, I may end up leaving my JPX irons at home and bringing the MPs back to Colorado. Funny thing is I had blades before I had the JPX and was torn between MP4s and the JPX that I have when I was fitted a few years back. I got smitten by the extra distance and little help and now kind of wish I could go back and get the MP4s instead. Maybe these older blades will satiate me...or maybe they'll make my scores go up! They'll be pretty to look at either way!

Hey RD, I saw you mention the Collindale tournament earlier. I think it’s the next weekend after the Highland Hills Amateur in Greeley. I can’t make both work, do you know anything about the Greeley one? Which is the better one to play in?

I have no idea about the Highland Hills Amateur. The Collindale Invitational is a good tournament with several flights. I play Senior Gross and my play the past couple of years matches perfectly.......gross. It's fun though!

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

Hey RD, I saw you mention the Collindale tournament earlier. I think it’s the next weekend after the Highland Hills Amateur in Greeley. I can’t make both work, do you know anything about the Greeley one? Which is the better one to play in?

I have no idea about the Highland Hills Amateur. The Collindale Invitational is a good tournament with several flights. I play Senior Gross and my play the past couple of years matches perfectly.......gross. It's fun though!

That’s too funny! Sadly I can relate. What tees or yardages do they play the Senior flight from?

Very helpful. Speaking of fitting/trying things, did anyone know these guys exist? They're about four blocks from my house and you can schedule appointments...

Could be very fun to try a few things out on-course if you're feeling like making a change.

They're actually a sponsor here. There's currently a thread running right now in the Equipment Forum where someone has a beef with them and lasted them pretty good.

In other news, I picked up some DG S300 to toss into my backup set of MP32s I bought on the BST. If I can get them installed when I'm home in Alabama and they treat me well, I may end up leaving my JPX irons at home and bringing the MPs back to Colorado. Funny thing is I had blades before I had the JPX and was torn between MP4s and the JPX that I have when I was fitted a few years back. I got smitten by the extra distance and little help and now kind of wish I could go back and get the MP4s instead. Maybe these older blades will satiate me...or maybe they'll make my scores go up! They'll be pretty to look at either way!

That’s cool to know. On a side note, you’re going to absolutely love those 32’s.

Man, I've been spending some time up at Firways recently. Went Friday to start figuring out where my distances are at and to get a baseline for my driver swing speed. Felt pretty good overall, I've been hitting a lot of irons a touch fat and am slowly starting to work on some things that are producing better results. Played 9 holes too for fun.

Driver swing speed seems to be pretty consistent around 110, and I'm going to start the Drive 400 program today so I'm curious how much that will go up.

Saturday I took my boys for a few hours, we got through about 14 holes so that was fun. Today I'm taking them again because their school is closed (this was a planned closure that was set at the beginning of the year). Just going to continue working on swinging free with the driver and making solid contact with my irons. Fun way to pass a few hours with the boys!

Are you talking about the Fairways at Sport Stable?

I booked a time on Sunday for 3 hours to play a round with some friends and for the second time in a row, I've been pretty disappointed with the performance of the tracking system in there. I've had decent results going by myself and doing some shaft comparisons but I took 2 guys I play with regularly and know how they hit the ball and the monitors were not accurately representing my buddy with a SS about 113-116 with driver.

Interested to hear your thoughts if that's where you went.

It was still fun, but I think they need to have the tracking systems tuned up.

I go there all the time. The system they use reads your swing/ball speeds a little faster than what a Trackman reads, but the total distance is very close. I see 98ish swing, 145ish ball speed, with a 250ish carry on the overhead tracker with a 270ish roll out at altitude. On the Trackman there I was seeing 94ish swing, 140ish ball speed. with a 235ish carry with a 270ish roll out at altitude.

I've only been to Fairways once and was pretty disappointed. I got pretty good distance numbers, but the left and right curvature left me a lot to be desired. I tried to hit super hold off slices or snap hooks and couldn't get it to register. I tried to go to the extreme because I noticed that my dispersion was very tight and normally it isn't, lol. Has anyone noticed this practicing up there?

Man, I've been spending some time up at Firways recently. Went Friday to start figuring out where my distances are at and to get a baseline for my driver swing speed. Felt pretty good overall, I've been hitting a lot of irons a touch fat and am slowly starting to work on some things that are producing better results. Played 9 holes too for fun.

Driver swing speed seems to be pretty consistent around 110, and I'm going to start the Drive 400 program today so I'm curious how much that will go up.

Saturday I took my boys for a few hours, we got through about 14 holes so that was fun. Today I'm taking them again because their school is closed (this was a planned closure that was set at the beginning of the year). Just going to continue working on swinging free with the driver and making solid contact with my irons. Fun way to pass a few hours with the boys!

Are you talking about the Fairways at Sport Stable?

I booked a time on Sunday for 3 hours to play a round with some friends and for the second time in a row, I've been pretty disappointed with the performance of the tracking system in there. I've had decent results going by myself and doing some shaft comparisons but I took 2 guys I play with regularly and know how they hit the ball and the monitors were not accurately representing my buddy with a SS about 113-116 with driver.

Interested to hear your thoughts if that's where you went.

It was still fun, but I think they need to have the tracking systems tuned up.

I go there all the time. The system they use reads your swing/ball speeds a little faster than what a Trackman reads, but the total distance is very close. I see 98ish swing, 145ish ball speed, with a 250ish carry on the overhead tracker with a 270ish roll out at altitude. On the Trackman there I was seeing 94ish swing, 140ish ball speed. with a 235ish carry with a 270ish roll out at altitude.

I've only been to Fairways once and was pretty disappointed. I got pretty good distance numbers, but the left and right curvature left me a lot to be desired. I tried to hit super hold off slices or snap hooks and couldn't get it to register. I tried to go to the extreme because I noticed that my dispersion was very tight and normally it isn't, lol. Has anyone noticed this practicing up there?

If you don't have the ball in the correct place it won't read the ball data. Basically it just reads the direction of the ball and not the spin. You see all straight shots.

Sometimes the system stops seeing the ball and needs to be reset. It happens maybe 1 out of 10 times I'm there.

At the top of the screen you'll see a green check mark that means it's seeing the ball. On the shot data screen you'll see blanks for some of the info.

That’s cool to know. On a side note, you’re going to absolutely love those 32’s.

I'm super excited about them. There's a ding in the 8 iron, but it shouldn't affect playability. I'm at the point where I'm just enjoying every chance to play, and don't necessarily expect to get much better because I can't commit much time to practice, so I might as well play something that looks great. I love the look and feel of my JPX, but there's something about reaching into the bag and seeing the lines of a blade that has me at least wanting to try that again. Maybe I'll be crap with them and they'll live in Alabama, or maybe I'll love them and they'll come back. For $150 all in for a 4-PW set, I'm willing to give it a go.

I'm super excited about them. There's a ding in the 8 iron, but it shouldn't affect playability. I'm at the point where I'm just enjoying every chance to play, and don't necessarily expect to get much better because I can't commit much time to practice, so I might as well play something that looks great. I love the look and feel of my JPX, but there's something about reaching into the bag and seeing the lines of a blade that has me at least wanting to try that again. Maybe I'll be crap with them and they'll live in Alabama, or maybe I'll love them and they'll come back. For $150 all in for a 4-PW set, I'm willing to give it a go.

I completely understand Brian. I have a set of JPX also. I don’t think I’ve ever had a set of irons that worked better for me. And they’re sitting in the backup bag because I just love the look of my Cobra Pro Forged.

Brian,

Mitch did my fitting for irons and wedges. He was legit and definitely knows what he's doing. I think it's very important to steer the fitter in the direction you want to go (I said I don't want to hit PXG because I'm not going to buy them so don't put them in my hand). At the end we came down to a few different iron shafts and he was like this one is x better numbers but costs 40 more per shaft so it's up to you on whether or not you think it's worth the money. I thought it was worthwhile but everyone's experience is different.

Callaway Mavrik Subzero 10.5 Graphite Design ADDI 7XX
Srixon U85 2,3,4 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Srixon 785 5-PW Nippon NSPro 1050s
Cleveland RTX-4 Tour Raw 50,55,61 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Scotty Cameron Futura 5W 34.5

Hey RD, I saw you mention the Collindale tournament earlier. I think it's the next weekend after the Highland Hills Amateur in Greeley. I can't make both work, do you know anything about the Greeley one? Which is the better one to play in?

That's too funny! Sadly I can relate. What tees or yardages do they play the Senior flight from?

They play the Senior gross from the blue tees (about 6,600 yards). The Senior Net is played from the white tees (6,200 yards). I don't play that one because some of the players in that flight have extremely will timed great rounds. Hmmmmmmmmmm

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Brian,

Mitch did my fitting for irons and wedges. He was legit and definitely knows what he's doing. I think it's very important to steer the fitter in the direction you want to go (I said I don't want to hit PXG because I'm not going to buy them so don't put them in my hand). At the end we came down to a few different iron shafts and he was like this one is x better numbers but costs 40 more per shaft so it's up to you on whether or not you think it's worth the money. I thought it was worthwhile but everyone's experience is different.

Much appreciated. We'll see what I end up doing! It's much later this year, for sure.

Hey RD, I saw you mention the Collindale tournament earlier. I think it's the next weekend after the Highland Hills Amateur in Greeley. I can't make both work, do you know anything about the Greeley one? Which is the better one to play in?

That's too funny! Sadly I can relate. What tees or yardages do they play the Senior flight from?

They play the Senior gross from the blue tees (about 6,600 yards). The Senior Net is played from the white tees (6,200 yards). I don't play that one because some of the players in that flight have extremely will timed great rounds. Hmmmmmmmmmm

Imagine that!. “I caught lightening in a bottle today, never play that well”. They should just have that preprinted on a business card they can hand out.

I bet there are some good players in that Senior gross flight. Under par?

Imagine that!��. “I caught lightening in a bottle today, never play that well”. They should just have that preprinted on a business card they can hand out.

I bet there are some good players in that Senior gross flight. Under par?

There sure are. Winning scores are usually close to par, give or take a stroke or two. I have no shot winning. I'm playing to test myself against the field and to see if I can compete. Maybe I can catch a legitimate lightning in a bottle two round set. Love to play in this event and will do so again this year. Besides, I live across the street from the first tee so I don't have too far to go and play.

There sure are. I have no shot winning. I'm playing to test myself against the field and to see if I can compete. Maybe I can catch a legitimate lightning in a bottle two round set. Love to play in this event and will do so again this year. Besides, I live across the street from the first tee so I don't have too far to go and play.

Then I apologize if I've hit your house with a golf ball :)

There sure are. I have no shot winning. I'm playing to test myself against the field and to see if I can compete. Maybe I can catch a legitimate lightning in a bottle two round set. Love to play in this event and will do so again this year. Besides, I live across the street from the first tee so I don't have too far to go and play.

Then I apologize if I've hit your house with a golf ball :)

HA! Only if you hit it due north of the first tee, I mean 90 degrees off the box, and across Horsetooth. I think my house is pretty safe. :D

The greens at Collindale are what defines the difficulty. Well, hitting it straight off the tee helps or knockdown shots out of the trees will become the second shot.

The greens at Collindale are what defines the difficulty. Well, hitting it straight off the tee helps or knockdown shots out of the trees will become the second shot.

Which bodes really well for someone who flat out sucks at reading greens!

Reading them isn't that bad. Speed control and approach shot placement is key! A putt from above the hole may roll off the green. Green speed during the Invitational can approach 12 or a bit more.

Reading them isn't that bad. Speed control and approach shot placement is key! A putt from above the hole may roll off the green. Green speed during the Ivitational can approach 12 or a bit more.

I’ve only played in greens that fast once or twice.

Reading them isn't that bad. Speed control and approach shot placement is key! A putt from above the hole may roll off the green. Green speed during the Ivitational can approach 12 or a bit more.

I’ve only played in greens that fast once or twice.

The normal speeds of the greens are between 9.5 and 10.5 on any given day. Only during special events (US Open regional qualifying - 1st round, Collindale Invitational, Fort Collins city championship) do the greens approach lightning fast speeds. Makes for approach shot control a premium. This is really where the scoring comes into play. There are some spots where you're dead on the greens, facing a sure 3 putt or more. There are birdies to be made if hitting in the right spots. A good test all the way around.

Anyone up for a Dismal River golf trip sometime this year? https://www.biddingforgood.com/auction/item/item.action?id=341783850

I've always wanted to go there and this is a great deal at this price. $850 for two days unlimited golf for a foursome is about half price on the regular guest golf rate.

Rooms run $155-$215 a night per person depending upon what you want and supposedly include breakfast in that rate.

I know they offer an unaccompanied $1200 per person 3 night/2 day golf package Su-We. So this is a great deal if you get it for $850 for 4 people. As cheap as $370 for two days unlimited golf and a room for the night.

Anyone interested in doing this with me? I may bid on it anyway as I'm pretty sure I can find people to do this at that price. Valid anytime Sun-Wed. Maybe combine with Wild Horse/Bayside etc.. for an extended weekend golf trip. Drive up Saturday and play somewhere in Nebraska. Stay the night at some hotel in Ogallala or North Platte and drive the 1.5-2 hours to Dismal Sunday morning. Play and stay there Sunday and Monday then head home.

Anyone up for a Dismal River golf trip sometime this year? https://www.biddingforgood.com/auction/item/item.action?id=341783850

I've always wanted to go there and this is a great deal at this price. $850 for two days unlimited golf for a foursome is about half price on the regular guest golf rate.

Rooms run $155-$215 a night per person depending upon what you want and supposedly include breakfast in that rate.

I know they offer an unaccompanied $1200 per person 3 night/2 day golf package Su-We. So this is a great deal if you get it for $850 for 4 people. As cheap as $370 for two days unlimited golf and a room for the night.

Anyone interested in doing this with me? I may bid on it anyway as I'm pretty sure I can find people to do this at that price. Valid anytime Sun-Wed. Maybe combine with Wild Horse/Bayside etc.. for an extended weekend golf trip. Drive up Saturday and play somewhere in Nebraska. Stay the night at some hotel in Ogallala or North Platte and drive the 1.5-2 hours to Dismal Sunday morning. Play and stay there Sunday and Monday then head home.

Man, if you can get that for $370 for two days and a night that’s a heck of a deal. If I remeber correctly I paid about $1,000 for that (although a big portion of that was the bar bill). Stay in NP so you can make sure to get there in plenty of time to get 36 in on the first day.

Anyone up for a Dismal River golf trip sometime this year? https://www.biddingf...on?id=341783850

If that's your bid split four ways, I'd definitely be interested. I've wanted to play that place too! Budget is always, always a factor. And the next hitch is my schedule, but you can consider me in as part of that foursome if you win, barring scheduling conflicts.

Anyone up for a Dismal River golf trip sometime this year? https://www.biddingf...on?id=341783850

If that's your bid split four ways, I'd definitely be interested. I've wanted to play that place too! Budget is always, always a factor. And the next hitch is my schedule, but you can consider me in as part of that foursome if you win, barring scheduling conflicts.

Noted. The auction is for a private school in Chicago, so you've got the majority of bidders people who probably don't know anything about Dismal River and then add on having to pony up $900 for a trip they would have to take Monday and Tuesday off and then how hard it is to get to Dismal from just about anywhere anyway and I think there is a good chance it will go for that.

Noted. The auction is for a private school in Chicago, so you've got the majority of bidders people who probably don't know anything about Dismal River and then add on having to pony up $900 for a trip they would have to take Monday and Tuesday off and then how hard it is to get to Dismal from just about anywhere anyway and I think there is a good chance it will go for that.

I think I'd be interested up to about $300/person.

I think I'd be interested up to about $300/person.

Brian, it’s a great value at that, or even a bit more. Heck, the rooms are every bit as nice as $200 dollar a night hotel room. Let alone the courses themselves.

It’s kind of a small subtle thing, but in the evening, sitting outside behind the main building with a drink, looking down the river valley, it’s incredibly peaceful.