Colorado WRX 2019

pseudoswede

How is everyone? Been a while since I've dropped in. Hoping to jump into the season soon. I've been to the range once since November and that has been it. While it was good refresh for me, it was too long. Especially considering, I have to get to Pinehurst #4, TPC Colorado, Summit course in Las Vegas, Corica Park, and Baylands golf links. Last two are in the Bay area.

Anyone else making any golf trips?

I wish. This summer will finally be the summer I make it out to Wild Horse. But with the Gold Cup potentially lasting from late May to mid-July, I won't be going anywhere until August, most likely. I'll get a few rounds in at home in late March, but it's hardly worth talking about. Just my local muni I grew up playing. Hard to beat for $18 walking when you just want to play some golf and don't really care how the course is (and you've not swung a club in four months).

Wild Horse is completely worth it. Although it’s not the bargain it used to be.

It's disappointing with the prices going up but I understand it. As long as their greens stay the way they are, I will consider it a value. Going with 16 this year!

Still have their same greenskeeper, Josh learned his craft at Sandhills and has been in charge since Wildhorse opened. Great guy, the superintendent's blog @ playwildhorse.com, is very informative.

I've been really impressed with that blog. And shocked it's updated as often as it is.

I do remember it being somewhere in the $45-$50 neighborhood when I heard about it a few years back. $65 is still okay, but my mood sometimes makes me feel like I'd rather play a couple of times at a lesser course than once on a nice one. But it all depends on the day and how frequently I've been playing.

How is everyone? Been a while since I've dropped in. Hoping to jump into the season soon. I've been to the range once since November and that has been it. While it was good refresh for me, it was too long. Especially considering, I have to get to Pinehurst #4, TPC Colorado, Summit course in Las Vegas, Corica Park, and Baylands golf links. Last two are in the Bay area.

Anyone else making any golf trips?

I wish. This summer will finally be the summer I make it out to Wild Horse. But with the Gold Cup potentially lasting from late May to mid-July, I won't be going anywhere until August, most likely. I'll get a few rounds in at home in late March, but it's hardly worth talking about. Just my local muni I grew up playing. Hard to beat for $18 walking when you just want to play some golf and don't really care how the course is (and you've not swung a club in four months).

Wild Horse is completely worth it. Although it’s not the bargain it used to be.

It's disappointing with the prices going up but I understand it. As long as their greens stay the way they are, I will consider it a value. Going with 16 this year!

Still have their same greenskeeper, Josh learned his craft at Sandhills and has been in charge since Wildhorse opened. Great guy, the superintendent's blog @ playwildhorse.com, is very informative.

I've been really impressed with that blog. And shocked it's updated as often as it is.

I do remember it being somewhere in the $45-$50 neighborhood when I heard about it a few years back. $65 is still okay, but my mood sometimes makes me feel like I'd rather play a couple of times at a lesser course than once on a nice one. But it all depends on the day and how frequently I've been playing.

Brian, don’t quote me on the rate because I haven’t been back there for a couple of years. I’m sure I heard it around one of our local courses. I do know though that this year’s Nebraska passport card, the cost is still $35. The highest of any of the courses on there. I’m guessing they’ve decided to capitalize a little bit on the notoriety they’ve gotten over the years.

$250 isn't bad but I'm guessing that does not include a required caddie

Hmmmmmm I just started to scan through the link and there is some SWEET tracks listed. Olympic Club, Baltusrol, Olympia Fields, Isleworth (maybe see a few pros)... etc

Edit: Crystal Downs, Friar's Head and Sand Hills is on the list......tough tough tracks to get on.

I just went through some of the courses listed. One of the deals includes unlimited golf at Sand Valley for 3 days. On top of that, lunch with Michael Keiser! That is a deal.

Let's stay in touch about Huntsman. I was going to try and get out there last year but didn't get around to it. I could be talked into going out this year, depending on accessibility.

FYI here is the list of amateur events throughout the state that aren't CGA or USGA qualifiers.

http://www.coloradog...d=championships

Click on outside events. Later in the year they usually have the contact info for each tournament.

Event Date Site

Twin Peaks Invitational 4/6 - 4/7 Twin Peaks GC

Fox Hill Invitational 5/11 - 5/12 Fox Hill Club

Ute Creek Invitational 4/27 - 4/28 Ute Creek GC

Boulder City Amateur Four-Ball 5/18 - 5/19 Flatirons GC

The Car Pros Memorial Day 2-Man Tournament 5/25 - 5/27 Elmwood GC

Collindale Invitational 6/1 - 6/2 Collindale GC

Coloradop Western Amateur 6/7 - 6/9 Bookcliff CC

Highland Hills Amateur Open 6/8 - 6/9 Highland Hills GC

Denver City Amateur 6/15 - 6/16 Wellshire GC

Stars And Stripes Cup 6/22 - 6/23 Eisenhower GC

Southridge Invitational 6/29 - 6/30 SouthRidge GC

Pepsico Pueblo City Championship 7/6 - 7/7 Elmwood GC

Glenwood Open 7/6 - 7/7 Glenwood Springs GC

Dick Billehus Invitational 7/13 - 7/14 Greeley CC

Boulder City Amateur Match Play Championship 7/19 - 7/21 Flatirons GC

Women Senior City 7/27 - 7/28 Overland Park GC

Denver Senior City 7/27 - 7/28 Overland Park GC

Aurora Senior Amateur 8/3 - 8/4 Aurora Hills GC

Rocky Mountain Open 8/22 -8/25 Tiara Rado GC

75th Annual Wellshire Four-Ball 8/31 - 9/2 Wellshire GC

Estes Park 59th Annual Labor Day Tournament 8/31 - 9/2 Estes Park GC

Colorado Springs City Championship 8/31 - 9/2 Patty Jewett GC

Twin Peaks Fall Invitational 9/14 - 9/15 Twin Peaks GC

Green Valley Ranch Amateur 10/26 - 10/27 Green Valley Ranch GC

I look forward to playing The Collindale Invitational. I've played horribly the past two years so I might as well continue the trend. ;)

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

FYI here is the list of amateur events throughout the state that aren't CGA or USGA qualifiers.

http://www.coloradog...d=championships

Click on outside events. Later in the year they usually have the contact info for each tournament.

Event Date Site

Twin Peaks Invitational 4/6 - 4/7 Twin Peaks GC

Fox Hill Invitational 5/11 - 5/12 Fox Hill Club

Ute Creek Invitational 4/27 - 4/28 Ute Creek GC

Boulder City Amateur Four-Ball 5/18 - 5/19 Flatirons GC

The Car Pros Memorial Day 2-Man Tournament 5/25 - 5/27 Elmwood GC

Collindale Invitational 6/1 - 6/2 Collindale GC

Coloradop Western Amateur 6/7 - 6/9 Bookcliff CC

Highland Hills Amateur Open 6/8 - 6/9 Highland Hills GC

Denver City Amateur 6/15 - 6/16 Wellshire GC

Stars And Stripes Cup 6/22 - 6/23 Eisenhower GC

Southridge Invitational 6/29 - 6/30 SouthRidge GC

Pepsico Pueblo City Championship 7/6 - 7/7 Elmwood GC

Glenwood Open 7/6 - 7/7 Glenwood Springs GC

Dick Billehus Invitational 7/13 - 7/14 Greeley CC

Boulder City Amateur Match Play Championship 7/19 - 7/21 Flatirons GC

Women Senior City 7/27 - 7/28 Overland Park GC

Denver Senior City 7/27 - 7/28 Overland Park GC

Aurora Senior Amateur 8/3 - 8/4 Aurora Hills GC

Rocky Mountain Open 8/22 -8/25 Tiara Rado GC

75th Annual Wellshire Four-Ball 8/31 - 9/2 Wellshire GC

Estes Park 59th Annual Labor Day Tournament 8/31 - 9/2 Estes Park GC

Colorado Springs City Championship 8/31 - 9/2 Patty Jewett GC

Twin Peaks Fall Invitational 9/14 - 9/15 Twin Peaks GC

Green Valley Ranch Amateur 10/26 - 10/27 Green Valley Ranch GC

I look forward to playing The Collindale Invitational. I've played horribly the past two years so I might as well continue the trend. ;)

I’d like to try that one, but Highland Hills is the week before. Don’t know if back to back is feasible.

$250 isn't bad but I'm guessing that does not include a required caddie

Hmmmmmm I just started to scan through the link and there is some SWEET tracks listed. Olympic Club, Baltusrol, Olympia Fields, Isleworth (maybe see a few pros)... etc

Edit: Crystal Downs, Friar's Head and Sand Hills is on the list......tough tough tracks to get on.

I just went through some of the courses listed. One of the deals includes unlimited golf at Sand Valley for 3 days. On top of that, lunch with Michael Keiser! That is a deal.

Let's stay in touch about Huntsman. I was going to try and get out there last year but didn't get around to it. I could be talked into going out this year, depending on accessibility.

Will do on Huntsman. Spoke with someone I know who played it last year and has access. I will be in Yellowstone the second week of July and am trying to see if I can hit up on the way back to Denver. I guess around the 4th it might be tough which I can understand. Might have to make it a separate trip if I can get access.

I saw the SV deal - lunch with Keiser listed too.

I agree for 4 players at the current bid price of $1125 its a good deal. What I could not tell from the post is lodging included? I assume it is... ? Who else would be interested :D

*At 36 a day and if the room is a DBL queen split.. the price with '19 rates is $1500.00 so pretty much right on the FMV listed split 4 ways.

fyi...

Ballyneal Chop Hills Clasic https://www.ballynea...ills-classic/ May 10-12

For both the 2 and 3 day options, the pricing on that is a much better deal than unaccompanied would pay for the same number of days of just golf and rooms without food, plus you aren't forced to take a caddie like an unaccompanied player. They've got 43 rooms on property so if they don't fill the event there's a good chance you'll get a room to yourself. It's only about $100-150 or so more than what a member's guest would pay for a shared room without the tee gift, tournament prizes and included meals, so you're staying and playing for less than the member guest rate for a single room and about the same as a guest shared room, not including the prizes and meals.

fyi...

Ballyneal Chop Hills Clasic https://www.ballynea...ills-classic/ May 10-12

For both the 2 and 3 day options, the pricing on that is a much better deal than unaccompanied would pay for the same number of days of just golf and rooms without food, plus you aren't forced to take a caddie like an unaccompanied player. They've got 43 rooms on property so if they don't fill the event there's a good chance you'll get a room to yourself. It's only about $100-150 or so more than what a member's guest would pay for a shared room without the tee gift, tournament prizes and included meals, so you're staying and playing for less than the member guest rate for a single room and about the same as a guest shared room, not including the prizes and meals.

I just looked at that and thought it was for four person teams. At $500, I was thinking I was in. Then I realized it's two person teams. $1000 is a bit too steep for me. Bummer. I might have been able to pull it off...not that I'd be in any way helpful to winning.

That's a bit too rich for my blood as well. :blink:

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

All of these parents complaining it's too cold outside for their kids to go to school. FFS, people, we live in Colorado! /rant

Live in Colorado? Visit Colorado WRX!

Ping G410 LST 9° Ventus Black 7X

Callaway Apex Pro 2H 18° MMT 80 HB XS
Ping S55 3-PW DG X100 (orange dot)
Ping Glide 52°, 56° (orange dot)

Titleist Vokey SM2 Red Saw 60° (to be retired)

Ping Glide 4.0 60° (orange dot) (soon)
Odyssey Works Big T V-Line CS 33.5"
Front Range Golf Club (frgclub.com)

Man, I've been spending some time up at Firways recently. Went Friday to start figuring out where my distances are at and to get a baseline for my driver swing speed. Felt pretty good overall, I've been hitting a lot of irons a touch fat and am slowly starting to work on some things that are producing better results. Played 9 holes too for fun.

Driver swing speed seems to be pretty consistent around 110, and I'm going to start the Drive 400 program today so I'm curious how much that will go up.

Saturday I took my boys for a few hours, we got through about 14 holes so that was fun. Today I'm taking them again because their school is closed (this was a planned closure that was set at the beginning of the year). Just going to continue working on swinging free with the driver and making solid contact with my irons. Fun way to pass a few hours with the boys!

Oh and forgot to mention I have a lesson with Kelly at South Broadway on Friday, excited for that. My usual guy (Geoff Grieg) hasn't found a new home yet after getting the boot from GVR :( Hopefully he finds something but, until then, it'll be nice to get a set of eyes on how the swing is going and what I need to work on next. Because heaven knows there's more to work on than I can even begin to think about.

Man, I've been spending some time up at Firways recently. Went Friday to start figuring out where my distances are at and to get a baseline for my driver swing speed. Felt pretty good overall, I've been hitting a lot of irons a touch fat and am slowly starting to work on some things that are producing better results. Played 9 holes too for fun.

Driver swing speed seems to be pretty consistent around 110, and I'm going to start the Drive 400 program today so I'm curious how much that will go up.

Saturday I took my boys for a few hours, we got through about 14 holes so that was fun. Today I'm taking them again because their school is closed (this was a planned closure that was set at the beginning of the year). Just going to continue working on swinging free with the driver and making solid contact with my irons. Fun way to pass a few hours with the boys!

Are you talking about the Fairways at Sport Stable?

I booked a time on Sunday for 3 hours to play a round with some friends and for the second time in a row, I've been pretty disappointed with the performance of the tracking system in there. I've had decent results going by myself and doing some shaft comparisons but I took 2 guys I play with regularly and know how they hit the ball and the monitors were not accurately representing my buddy with a SS about 113-116 with driver.

Interested to hear your thoughts if that's where you went.

It was still fun, but I think they need to have the tracking systems tuned up.

I started mid-week last week and should be in the gym right now, but the kid watch at the rec center was full and I wasn't about to stand around with my daughter for 45 mins waiting to try to get her into a playroom so I could work out. I'll try again this afternoon.

So far, so good. I've been really happy just foam rolling and have noticed it's helped me sleep a LOT better too. I'd been in the gym consistently for a few weeks, so I know it's not the program, but I feel a lot better especially since starting the foam rolling and mobility work. The strength will come, and I've been adding a little on to the ends of my workouts too. Who knows if I'll hit the ball farther (really need to work on face/path control) but I do feel like I'm setting myself up to be better this season.

I booked a time on Sunday for 3 hours to play a round with some friends and for the second time in a row, I've been pretty disappointed with the performance of the tracking system in there. I've had decent results going by myself and doing some shaft comparisons but I took 2 guys I play with regularly and know how they hit the ball and the monitors were not accurately representing my buddy with a SS about 113-116 with driver.

Yup, that's the place. I've been there a bunch, haven't really noticed anything too crazy with the numbers seeming off. What did you notice off? Maybe the altitude setting was at something different than you expected? I'll have to note some swing speeds when I go today and I'll compare with what I see Friday at SBCC (with the Trackman).

I go there all the time. The system they use reads your swing/ball speeds a little faster than what a Trackman reads, but the total distance is very close. I see 98ish swing, 145ish ball speed, with a 250ish carry on the overhead tracker with a 270ish roll out at altitude. On the Trackman there I was seeing 94ish swing, 140ish ball speed. with a 235ish carry with a 270ish roll out at altitude.

A question for those who have done a fitting at Club Champion:

I've been really reluctant to do anything with my driver over the past few years because it's been fairly reliable, if not overly long. I went into PGA Tour SS the other day and was surprisingly open to the idea of spending a lot of money on a new driver, but only if I do it right. I've noticed my spin numbers with some of the stock offerings were far too high (3300-3400) which I attribute a lot to strike, but assuming I can get that worked out for the most part, how comprehensive is a driver (and possibly 3W/hybrid fitting) there? The price is $150 just for the fitting, so I'm hoping they're competent enough to say "Your numbers with this option are good, but let's not stop there, because we can do better with this shaft/head combo to get your delivery right and optimize everything..."

Basically, if you've watched any of their videos on YouTube,

Also, Matt's numbers are insane. I'm hoping that Club Champion could be a similar experience since they appear to offer a big selection of shafts and heads. Basically, I want to spend my fitting money well on top of what I'll end up spending on a setup. Considering my golf budget isn't huge and dropping $700+ on a new driver is a significant investment (well, a depreciating asset), I'd like to know that it'll actually be worth it versus just keeping what I have. I don't want to feel like I've just been churned through the machine, if that makes sense.

I do feel like there are some gains to be had if my numbers aren't close to optimized.

I've been really reluctant to do anything with my driver over the past few years because it's been fairly reliable, if not overly long. I went into PGA Tour SS the other day and was surprisingly open to the idea of spending a lot of money on a new driver, but only if I do it right. I've noticed my spin numbers with some of the stock offerings were far too high (3300-3400) which I attribute a lot to strike, but assuming I can get that worked out for the most part, how comprehensive is a driver (and possibly 3W/hybrid fitting) there? The price is $150 just for the fitting, so I'm hoping they're competent enough to say "Your numbers with this option are good, but let's not stop there, because we can do better with this shaft/head combo to get your delivery right and optimize everything..."

Also, Matt's numbers are insane. I'm hoping that Club Champion could be a similar experience since they appear to offer a big selection of shafts and heads. Basically, I want to spend my fitting money well on top of what I'll end up spending on a setup. Considering my golf budget isn't huge and dropping $700+ on a new driver is a significant investment (well, a depreciating asset), I'd like to know that it'll actually be worth it versus just keeping what I have. I don't want to feel like I've just been churned through the machine, if that makes sense.

I do feel like there are some gains to be had if my numbers aren't close to optimized.

I know Krush just did recently, maybe full bag? I went just for the driver but it was a two part process on my end...crazy but I was looking for validation. On that note I know two people who I will not name that went to CC for full fitting.

One is very happy with everything but it was his first "true" fitted set besides doing the PGA SS fitting aspects. The other is a really good player and he already sold the irons which cost an arm and leg. He is playing better with off rack clubs right now. So take that for whats it worth.

I wanted to go back to Titleist drivers, Only tested drivers as I was limited on time. I went in knowing what shafts I was recommended. I was wiling to pay to see if it was going to be worth an upgrade

I told CC straight up I am not buying it from them and only testing to see if its even worth it. At that time I had the Epic / Tour AD DI 6x. Now using a TS3 with Tensi Blue 65x so was worth it in the end. *Its not the Blue Tensi that is stock off the shelf..

I tested 4-5 shafts VS Epic/AD as a baseline. The TS3 with Tour AD DI and the Tensi Blue 65x killed my Epic combo. Way better on mishits and ball speed overall. Very forgiving driver compared to the EPIC.

I was a little surprised honestly and I really did not believe it. It showed better spin and roll out for another 10-12 yards.

As a back up I went over to BLACK BEAR next to Fox Hollow. They use trackman, outdoors and are a Titleist premier fitter. They got the two shafts in and I tested it on the range to see actual ball flight and the numbers confirmed really close to what I saw at CC. *Good news on that aspect

I ordered it from the PGA SS trading in the epic and gift cards I had so got it pretty cheap really in the end. The shaft was no upcharge being the standard Tensi not the CK PRO model ($300 upcharge for that but was sweet, only nominally better and Tour AD DI was just as good which I KEEP and put and Titleist adapter on).

Yes I paid more then needed in testing but honestly it was more for me "mentally" =).... so those 245 yard crushes are true and I know it now =)

I've done a fitting with them and was impressed overall - yes, they will try to get as much out of a club for you as possible - pretty much any good fitter will. I've also done a fitting with D'Lance as well as Cobra. Here is my review of CC from a couple years ago: http://www.golfwrx.c.../#entry15002842

I've also done a fitting with one of the Cobra guys who works with the pros and he took it to another level. Here is my review of that one: http://www.golfwrx.c...6#entry17698196

That being said, I don't think you can go wrong with CC, however, they may not adjust head weight to determine hotmelt - they didn't with me, but that's not to say they don't do that. That would be a good question for them.

D'Lance is another option as well. And they will adjust head weight to add hotmelt to your final setup.

I'd also throw Dan Weitzel's name in the mix. I haven't done a fitting through him, but a few others here have and respect the work he does. https://www.weitzelgolf.com/

Edit: One of my old instructors used CC as well, and was thoroughly impressed. Both of us had Mitch. If you consider D'Lance, PJ has been there for several years (15+ years) and knows what he's doing, though seems to be a bit quirky. I think Stoney did a fitting with PJ late last year, so perhaps he can chime in.

Cobra LTDx LS - Oban Kiyoshi HB-65
Cobra F8 4w - Tour AD IZ-7s
Cobra 4h - SmacWrap 780 ES x
Cobra Forged Tec Black - AMT x100
Titleist Vokey 50/54/58 SM9
Edel E-1

I've done a fitting with them and was impressed overall - yes, they will try to get as much out of a club for you as possible - pretty much any good fitter will. I've also done a fitting with D'Lance as well as Cobra. Here is my review of CC from a couple years ago: http://www.golfwrx.c.../#entry15002842

I've also done a fitting with one of the Cobra guys who works with the pros and he took it to another level. Here is my review of that one: http://www.golfwrx.c...6#entry17698196

That being said, I don't think you can go wrong with CC, however, they may not adjust head weight to determine hotmelt - they didn't with me, but that's not to say they don't do that. That would be a good question for them.

D'Lance is another option as well. And they will adjust head weight to add hotmelt to your final setup.

I'd also throw Dan Weitzel's name in the mix. I haven't done a fitting through him, but a few others here have and respect the work he does. https://www.weitzelgolf.com/

Edit: One of my old instructors used CC as well, and was thoroughly impressed. Both of us had Mitch. If you consider D'Lance, PJ has been there for several years (15+ years) and knows what he's doing, though seems to be a bit quirky. I think Stoney did a fitting with PJ late last year, so perhaps he can chime in.

Thanks! I've used Dan before and I feel like driver was probably the part I skimmed over the most. My 3w and hybrid are pretty good, but I think there's something to be gained off the tee. I could be delusional, but that's why I want someone to take the time with me to really figure that out.

I think the biggest thing especially with drivers is to test out the exact physical head you end up with and buy from someone that is willing to adjust if it isn't what you saw originally. Pretty rare, but the heads are mass manufactured and the tolerances are not that exact. There can be hot and dud faces. That's one issue the new Taylormade is trying to solve with manufacturing everything hot and then adjusting it down with the injection. So if you test out stuff with anyone and then order components, there is a small chance you won't see the results you were getting in the test. I don't know how CC handles that, but I know D'lance had me check the final club build on trackman to ensure I was getting similar results to what I saw when first testing the components in the fitting. You have to speak up though. You're paying premium prices if you buy through the fitter so make sure you are getting what you paid for.

Very helpful. Speaking of fitting/trying things, did anyone know these guys exist? They're about four blocks from my house and you can schedule appointments...

Could be very fun to try a few things out on-course if you're feeling like making a change.

Interesting. Oban supposedly only sells directly to hands on custom fitters. I wonder how they're sourcing those.

Very helpful. Speaking of fitting/trying things, did anyone know these guys exist? They're about four blocks from my house and you can schedule appointments...

Could be very fun to try a few things out on-course if you're feeling like making a change.

Interesting. Oban supposedly only sells directly to hands on custom fitters. I wonder how they're sourcing those.

I didn’t look too hard at their site, but I would imagine they might do some fitting if you schedule an in-person thing?

They’re actually a sponsor here. There’s currently a thread running right now in the Equipment Forum where someone has a beef with them and lasted them pretty good.

They’re located in Denver?