Colorado WRX 2019

pseudoswede

How is everyone? Been a while since I've dropped in. Hoping to jump into the season soon. I've been to the range once since November and that has been it. While it was good refresh for me, it was too long. Especially considering, I have to get to Pinehurst #4, TPC Colorado, Summit course in Las Vegas, Corica Park, and Baylands golf links. Last two are in the Bay area.

Anyone else making any golf trips?

Just came back from Prinehurst. #4 looks impressive. Way more elevation than #2 for sure looking at it and #2 is VERY flat. We tried to play it or another resort course on Sunday but weather got us. Sunday rained like crazy and was cold. 44 degrees, real feel was like 38 with rain Everyone bailed that day as the cold humidity was piercing... to the bone!!

If you hit Pinehurst toss in Mid South on top of the other must plays .We added it this time and it is an excellent track.

How is everyone? Been a while since I've dropped in. Hoping to jump into the season soon. I've been to the range once since November and that has been it. While it was good refresh for me, it was too long. Especially considering, I have to get to Pinehurst #4, TPC Colorado, Summit course in Las Vegas, Corica Park, and Baylands golf links. Last two are in the Bay area.

I wish. This summer will finally be the summer I make it out to Wild Horse. But with the Gold Cup potentially lasting from late May to mid-July, I won't be going anywhere until August, most likely. I'll get a few rounds in at home in late March, but it's hardly worth talking about. Just my local muni I grew up playing. Hard to beat for $18 walking when you just want to play some golf and don't really care how the course is (and you've not swung a club in four months).

I wish. This summer will finally be the summer I make it out to Wild Horse. But with the Gold Cup potentially lasting from late May to mid-July, I won't be going anywhere until August, most likely. I'll get a few rounds in at home in late March, but it's hardly worth talking about. Just my local muni I grew up playing. Hard to beat for $18 walking when you just want to play some golf and don't really care how the course is (and you've not swung a club in four months).

Wild Horse is completely worth it. Although it’s not the bargain it used to be.

So over the last month or more, I've been in the gym pretty consistently. At this point, I'm trying to get my legs under me for our trip to Whistler, especially when you consider I haven't been on my board in three years. But I'm also training with a focus on golf. Flexibility is something I'm also working on, but I was wondering if there are any of you who have gym routines that are geared towards the golf course at all. Working on strike/swing path is a whole other thing (and a thing I'm trying to find a little time to work on, considering my numbers with a driver are horrendous right now), but I'm trying to implement some stuff into my gym routine that can help give me a chance to put the ball out there just a little bit further.

I've been watching some videos on 18 Strong, but figured I'd ask you guys as well.

I know I'm late to the game here...yoga is a good suggestion for sure though it's simply not for me. I get way too bored. As for lifting, focus on strengthening your core using compound lifts - squats, deadlifts, overhead press, and bench. Honestly, you don't have to spend more than 45min in the gym - if you're looking to drop fat/weight, hop on the treadmill at 3-4mph at an incline for 20-45min after you're done lifting. Since your glycogen levels will be mostly depleted from lifting, the steady state cardio will tap into fat stores. That along with a solid diet got me an amazing physique with functional strength.

Depending on how often you get to the gym, you can incorporate those compound lifts all in one day (I'd be cautious with doing heavy squats and deadlifts back to back) or split them up over 2 separate days, and add some accessory lifts to support and strengthen your primary lifts.

Yes, I know I'm fat now lol, but used to be a gym junkie and was prepping for a show at one point. I got hurt nearly 4 years ago (on a warm-up set grrrrr), stopped caring about what I ate, drank too often/much, and really never made it back into the gym consistently. Trying to turn that around again, but it's tough with work, family, and lack of motivation.

On a positive note, I scored some great deals at the Expo earlier this month. This cold winter needs to see its way out soon so we can all get back on the course! It's been way too long since I've even hit a golf ball :(

Cobra LTDx LS - Oban Kiyoshi HB-65
Cobra F8 4w - Tour AD IZ-7s
Cobra 4h - SmacWrap 780 ES x
Cobra Forged Tec Black - AMT x100
Titleist Vokey 50/54/58 SM9
Edel E-1

Just a reminder that some buddies and I are heading to Family Sports after work (around 4:45pm) to hit some balls. All are welcome.

Live in Colorado? Visit Colorado WRX!

Ping G410 LST 9° Ventus Black 7X

Callaway Apex Pro 2H 18° MMT 80 HB XS
Ping S55 3-PW DG X100 (orange dot)
Ping Glide 52°, 56° (orange dot)

Titleist Vokey SM2 Red Saw 60° (to be retired)

Ping Glide 4.0 60° (orange dot) (soon)
Odyssey Works Big T V-Line CS 33.5"
Front Range Golf Club (frgclub.com)

Just came back from Prinehurst. #4 looks impressive. Way more elevation than #2 for sure looking at it and #2 is VERY flat. We tried to play it or another resort course on Sunday but weather got us. Sunday rained like crazy and was cold. 44 degrees, real feel was like 38 with rain Everyone bailed that day as the cold humidity was piercing... to the bone!!

If you hit Pinehurst toss in Mid South on top of the other must plays .We added it this time and it is an excellent track.

I'll hit up Mid South up too. Hopefully, I'll be able to get to 8-10 courses when I'm out there. Yeah #4 is on the short list of courses I want to get to this year. Gil Hanse is becoming my favorite modern architect. Doak is probably still my favorite but Hanse's work is awesome. I would have loved to see Ohoopee in Georgia too as that was my number 1 but they're limiting the number of panelists and I was too late getting my name in the ring.

I played Wild Horse for the first time last year. A lot of fun! Nothing wrong with that being your only trip. If you go that way, might as well make it to Awarii Dunes as that was a lot of fun as well.

I played Wild Horse for the first time last year. A lot of fun! Nothing wrong with that being your only trip. If you go that way, might as well make it to Awarii Dunes as that was a lot of fun as well.

They built Awarii after I was there on a regular basis so I’ve never made it there. I’ll put in my usual plug for anyone heading that way. 4 Winds golf course in Kimball, Ne. Instead of continuing east on I76, head north at Fort Morgan. This course sits right on I80 (honest to goodness, less than 5 minutes after you exit the interstate you’re on the tee) I actually think it is now a better value than Wild Horse ($45 riding, all you want to play). I think it’s a much more challenging course than Wildhorse.

I’ve gotten to know the pro at Highland Hills in Greeley, he puts 4 Winds in his top five courses. Takes groups there from Greeley every summer.

if you're looking to drop fat/weight, hop on the treadmill at 3-4mph at an incline for 20-45min after you're done lifting. Since your glycogen levels will be mostly depleted from lifting, the steady state cardio will tap into fat stores.

You've seen me, right? If I do that, I'll most certainly disappear. Weight is not something I can afford to lose.

If I need to get something in quick, I'm a huge fan (though I loathe doing the actual workout) of assault bikes and rowing machines.

The Drive 400 program seems very well structured. No squats and deadlifts on the same day. I don't know if I'll have time to get into the gym today, but I'm working on the mobility and flexibility stuff at home. Foam rolling is something I wish I'd been doing for the last 15 years. The sad part is I've been around pro athletes for I don't know how long and am JUST starting to incorporate it into my daily routine.

if you're looking to drop fat/weight, hop on the treadmill at 3-4mph at an incline for 20-45min after you're done lifting. Since your glycogen levels will be mostly depleted from lifting, the steady state cardio will tap into fat stores.

You've seen me, right? If I do that, I'll most certainly disappear. Weight is not something I can afford to lose.

If I need to get something in quick, I'm a huge fan (though I loathe doing the actual workout) of assault bikes and rowing machines.

The Drive 400 program seems very well structured. No squats and deadlifts on the same day. I don't know if I'll have time to get into the gym today, but I'm working on the mobility and flexibility stuff at home. Foam rolling is something I wish I'd been doing for the last 15 years. The sad part is I've been around pro athletes for I don't know how long and am JUST starting to incorporate it into my daily routine.

Hahahaha, touche!

As for an assault bike...I own one. Let me tell you how much I've used that machine created by the devil. Apparently, I had delusions of grandeur when I bought it! Arguably the dumbest purchase I've ever done :lol:

And I own a foam roller that gets little use too. Only time I use it is when my IT bands get super tight and squatting becomes painful. I'm a mess lol

Edel E-1

Hoping this warmer weather sticks around a bit longer and the snow holds off this weekend. We were so close to being able to play this week but that stupid storm last weekend killed it. Anyone know of any courses that might be open this week? I heard a rumor that Co National was open this week, but I'm down in littleton and it's a bit far for me to drive for a weekday afternoon round.

Just got back from a trip to the Reunion resort in Orlando. Very nice and I could see my February group going back there again. The Watson course is definitely the best of the three courses and most interesting. Conditions on all three were great. The Palmer course has a couple really stupid holes design wise. The Nicklaus course follows his typical punishing style on approach shots where slight misses when going at pins get big penalties. We also played a very old Ross course at Country Club of Orlando which is really good after a complete renovation two years ago by Ron Forse. Fast and firm conditions that allowed ground game shots made it a blast. It felt more like playing a course in NC than Florida. And finally played Providence in Davenport. Typical Florida style course, but they just redid the greens last year. Nothing really memorable though.

Just read a bit about the Drive 400 program. Someone mentioned that the lifting portion is very similar to 5/3/1 which I am a huge proponent of and ran that program or a variation of it for several years. I hope it works out well for you!

Edel E-1

Just read a bit about the Drive 400 program. Someone mentioned that the lifting portion is very similar to 5/3/1 which I am a huge proponent of and ran that program or a variation of it for several years. I hope it works out well for you!

I picked it up, as did a few others here. So expect a CO WRX outing where we're all hitting wedges for second shots!

Just got back from a trip to the Reunion resort in Orlando. Very nice and I could see my February group going back there again. The Watson course is definitely the best of the three courses and most interesting. Conditions on all three were great. The Palmer course has a couple really stupid holes design wise. The Nicklaus course follows his typical punishing style on approach shots where slight misses when going at pins get big penalties. We also played a very old Ross course at Country Club of Orlando which is really good after a complete renovation two years ago by Ron Forse. Fast and firm conditions that allowed ground game shots made it a blast. It felt more like playing a course in NC than Florida. And finally played Providence in Davenport. Typical Florida style course, but they just redid the greens last year. Nothing really memorable though.

Mark Crossfield posted some course vlogs from Reunion a few weeks ago. Seems like a nice place, but I just have never really enjoyed golf in Florida, for whatever reason. Though I'll admit if the calendar works out, I'll get to go to Streamsong this December.

I picked it up, as did a few others here. So expect a CO WRX outing where we're all hitting wedges for second shots!

I'm not interested in the program then if you're not driving greens!

Edel E-1

I’m going to have to hit from the red tees to be hitting wedge second shots!

I'm not interested in the program then if you're not driving greens!

#9 at Murphy Creek and #14 at Riverdale. That's all I've got as it stands. I can get close on #18 at Riverdale as well, but the uphill into the green kills it.

I’m going to have to hit from the red tees to be hitting wedge second shots!��

If red tees means lower scores, I'll join you up there!

I'm not interested in the program then if you're not driving greens! �

#9 at Murphy Creek and #14 at Riverdale. That's all I've got as it stands. I can get close on #18 at Riverdale as well, but the uphill into the green kills it.

I remeber #10 at MC, but I don’t remember Riverdale’s #14. Been a few years since I’ve been there.

I remeber #10 at MC, but I don’t remember Riverdale’s #14. Been a few years since I’ve been there.

It's a funny looking hole because the green is hidden behind some mounds and bunkers. I don't remember what the carry is, but the play is a hybrid or 3W out to the right and into the fairway to leave maybe 100 yards or so in. I've been down a couple of times in match play against a friend out there and called up my Rory strength to hit the green. It's probably not that far...but it felt awesome to fly my ball within 15 feet off the tee.

Funny enough, I don't love that hole. I actually don't love a few of the holes on the back out there, but it's a solid course and always in great shape, so I'll happily play it any day.

It's a funny looking hole because the green is hidden behind some mounds and bunkers. I don't remember what the carry is, but the play is a hybrid or 3W out to the right and into the fairway to leave maybe 100 yards or so in. I've been down a couple of times in match play against a friend out there and called up my Rory strength to hit the green. It's probably not that far...but it felt awesome to fly my ball within 15 feet off the tee.

Funny enough, I don't love that hole. I actually don't love a few of the holes on the back out there, but it's a solid course and always in great shape, so I'll happily play it any day.

That’s not the one with the lake along the left side is it? I don’t remember any out there that I thought I might be able to reach.

I'll hit up Mid South up too. Hopefully, I'll be able to get to 8-10 courses when I'm out there. Yeah #4 is on the short list of courses I want to get to this year. Gil Hanse is becoming my favorite modern architect. Doak is probably still my favorite but Hanse's work is awesome. I would have loved to see Ohoopee in Georgia too as that was my number 1 but they're limiting the number of panelists and I was too late getting my name in the ring.

No4 hats are sweet =_) Trucker style. Has no Pinehurst info anywhere, just a big number 4..... Edit:Image did not attach first time??

$250 isn't bad but I'm guessing that does not include a required caddie

Hmmmmmm I just started to scan through the link and there is some SWEET tracks listed. Olympic Club, Baltusrol, Olympia Fields, Isleworth (maybe see a few pros)... etc

Edit: Crystal Downs, Friar's Head and Sand Hills is on the list......tough tough tracks to get on.

Oddly I have played a few David McLay Kidd courses now and though he has taken a hit for few designs in the last few years I like his work. I am "trying" via connections to get on this course this summer. (not sure it will happen though...)

https://huntsmansprings.com/golf/

Just a reminder that some buddies and I are heading to Family Sports after work (around 4:45pm) to hit some balls. All are welcome.

Holy crap. Everyone and their brother--and their sister--and grandpa--were out there yesterday. It did become more roomy starting around 5:30, so that is probably the best time to go on nice days.

Live in Colorado? Visit Colorado WRX!

Ping G410 LST 9° Ventus Black 7X

Callaway Apex Pro 2H 18° MMT 80 HB XS
Ping S55 3-PW DG X100 (orange dot)
Ping Glide 52°, 56° (orange dot)

Titleist Vokey SM2 Red Saw 60° (to be retired)

Ping Glide 4.0 60° (orange dot) (soon)
Odyssey Works Big T V-Line CS 33.5"
Front Range Golf Club (frgclub.com)

It's disappointing with the prices going up but I understand it. As long as their greens stay the way they are, I will consider it a value. Going with 16 this year!

Callaway Mavrik Subzero 10.5 Graphite Design ADDI 7XX
Srixon U85 2,3,4 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Srixon 785 5-PW Nippon NSPro 1050s
Cleveland RTX-4 Tour Raw 50,55,61 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Scotty Cameron Futura 5W 34.5

It's disappointing with the prices going up but I understand it. As long as their greens stay the way they are, I will consider it a value. Going with 16 this year!

Yeah it’s still worth it, but boy that $25 price tag we used to pay was sure nice! I think I read they’re up around $65 or so now.

Still have their same greenskeeper, Josh learned his craft at Sandhills and has been in charge since Wildhorse opened. Great guy, the superintendent's blog @ playwildhorse.com, is very informative.