Colorado WRX 2019

pseudoswede

Got out to Heritage Eagle Bend on Sunday. Had no time to practice putting, so naturally I 3-putted the first green. But man, my game was 180º opposite from a few weeks ago at Broadlands. My driver game was on fire! It felt great. Was able to get up & down for some par saves too. Had a couple stupid mistakes, but overall I'm feeling pretty good about my game just 2 rounds into the year.

• Like 1

> @irvtrain said:

> > @Dancin said:

> > > @DaVinciGolf said:

> > > > @Dancin said:

> > > > There's an ad in the latest Colorado Avid Golfer soliciting for buyers of Spring Valley. Asking just under $4 million with water, mineral rights and some land for housing development. Nice layout with one 9 (forget which) being a lot more interesting, but too far out in the boonies. I think you'd need a lot more housing to go in out there to make that place successful at that price. Conditions were still good the last time I played it two years ago, so either the original owners had money to burn or they've done well enough. I had one of the best rounds of my life the first time I played it and in a match play contest against another club too. Used to be a really good deal, but now their in season prices are just slightly lower than south Denver courses. I guess if you're comparing with Castle Rock tee times then it's still a good deal.

> > >

> > > Hey Dancin, I don’t see the ad. Is it in a hard copy or online?

> > I don't know if it is online for CAG as I saw it in the hard copy, but here's the online real estate listing: https://navpointre.com/properties/spring-valley-golf-club/

> > They're going to have to find someone spending money with their heart and not their brain at that price. I'm guessing that course doesn't produce enough to cover debt servicing costs at that price if you took out loans and there's a lot better investments for $4 mill. Too far away from customers. Anyone buying at that price has an extremely long time horizon as eventually the water rights could be worth a lot of money.

>

> I'm tempted to fill out the NDA and see what they're actually doing. Spring Valley is definitely too far. Wonder if they thought about going private. The clubhouse, mineral, water, and land should be worth the $4M though without considering the course.

I think they'd be even worse off if private. It's not a nice enough course to get people to pay up and make a 45 minute drive. They'd be in the same category as the club corp courses with a public style clubhouse and much further away from their customer base. Either private or public, Elizabeth would need to dramatically increase it's housing supply to make the course successful. The one advantage they do have is the Parker area continues to grow like crazy and they're much cheaper than any other public courses around. If the club corp courses weren't there they'd be fine.

• Like 1

I kinda like Spring Valley. And I'm probably in the minority, but I don't mind driving 30-45 minutes to play a round of golf. That place was usually cheap, $25-$30 with a cart on the weekend. For that price, I'll make the drive.

Also, unrelated, but has anyone volunteered an event before? Just got an email about the US Mid-Am. Volunteer for 3 shifts, and you get to play a round at Colorado Golf Club. Sounds like it could be worth it!

• Like 1

> @Dancin said:

> > @irvtrain said:

> > > @Dancin said:

> > > > @DaVinciGolf said:

> > > > > @Dancin said:

> > > > > There's an ad in the latest Colorado Avid Golfer soliciting for buyers of Spring Valley. Asking just under $4 million with water, mineral rights and some land for housing development. Nice layout with one 9 (forget which) being a lot more interesting, but too far out in the boonies. I think you'd need a lot more housing to go in out there to make that place successful at that price. Conditions were still good the last time I played it two years ago, so either the original owners had money to burn or they've done well enough. I had one of the best rounds of my life the first time I played it and in a match play contest against another club too. Used to be a really good deal, but now their in season prices are just slightly lower than south Denver courses. I guess if you're comparing with Castle Rock tee times then it's still a good deal.

> > > >

> > > > Hey Dancin, I don’t see the ad. Is it in a hard copy or online?

> > > I don't know if it is online for CAG as I saw it in the hard copy, but here's the online real estate listing: https://navpointre.com/properties/spring-valley-golf-club/

> > > They're going to have to find someone spending money with their heart and not their brain at that price. I'm guessing that course doesn't produce enough to cover debt servicing costs at that price if you took out loans and there's a lot better investments for $4 mill. Too far away from customers. Anyone buying at that price has an extremely long time horizon as eventually the water rights could be worth a lot of money.

> >

> > I'm tempted to fill out the NDA and see what they're actually doing. Spring Valley is definitely too far. Wonder if they thought about going private. The clubhouse, mineral, water, and land should be worth the $4M though without considering the course.

>

> I think they'd be even worse off if private. It's not a nice enough course to get people to pay up and make a 45 minute drive. They'd be in the same category as the club corp courses with a public style clubhouse and much further away from their customer base. Either private or public, Elizabeth would need to dramatically increase it's housing supply to make the course successful. The one advantage they do have is the Parker area continues to grow like crazy and they're much cheaper than any other public courses around. If the club corp courses weren't there they'd be fine.

Like irvtrain indicated, the clubhouse, mineral, water and land is what’s interesting. I can’t tell how much land (non-course) they have. My group is currently looking at some land in Elbert County for development. In this case, throw in a golf course and who knows… this might tip the scales.

• Like 1

> @DaVinciGolf said:

> Like irvtrain indicated, the clubhouse, mineral, water and land is what’s interesting. I can’t tell how much land (non-course) they have. My group is currently looking at some land in Elbert County for development. In this case, throw in a golf course and who knows… this might tip the scales.

Of course, there would be a generous ColoradoWRX discount, right? :smiley:

Live in Colorado? Visit Colorado WRX!

Ping G410 LST 9° Ventus Black 7X

Callaway Apex Pro 2H 18° MMT 80 HB XS
Ping S55 3-PW DG X100 (orange dot)
Ping Glide 52°, 56° (orange dot)

Titleist Vokey SM2 Red Saw 60° (to be retired)

Ping Glide 4.0 60° (orange dot) (soon)
Odyssey Works Big T V-Line CS 33.5"
Front Range Golf Club (frgclub.com)

> @DaVinciGolf said:

> > @Dancin said:

> > > @irvtrain said:

> > > > @Dancin said:

> > > > > @DaVinciGolf said:

> > > > > > @Dancin said:

> > > > > > There's an ad in the latest Colorado Avid Golfer soliciting for buyers of Spring Valley. Asking just under $4 million with water, mineral rights and some land for housing development. Nice layout with one 9 (forget which) being a lot more interesting, but too far out in the boonies. I think you'd need a lot more housing to go in out there to make that place successful at that price. Conditions were still good the last time I played it two years ago, so either the original owners had money to burn or they've done well enough. I had one of the best rounds of my life the first time I played it and in a match play contest against another club too. Used to be a really good deal, but now their in season prices are just slightly lower than south Denver courses. I guess if you're comparing with Castle Rock tee times then it's still a good deal.

> > > > >

> > > > > Hey Dancin, I don’t see the ad. Is it in a hard copy or online?

> > > > I don't know if it is online for CAG as I saw it in the hard copy, but here's the online real estate listing: https://navpointre.com/properties/spring-valley-golf-club/

> > > > They're going to have to find someone spending money with their heart and not their brain at that price. I'm guessing that course doesn't produce enough to cover debt servicing costs at that price if you took out loans and there's a lot better investments for $4 mill. Too far away from customers. Anyone buying at that price has an extremely long time horizon as eventually the water rights could be worth a lot of money.

> > >

> > > I'm tempted to fill out the NDA and see what they're actually doing. Spring Valley is definitely too far. Wonder if they thought about going private. The clubhouse, mineral, water, and land should be worth the $4M though without considering the course.

> >

> > I think they'd be even worse off if private. It's not a nice enough course to get people to pay up and make a 45 minute drive. They'd be in the same category as the club corp courses with a public style clubhouse and much further away from their customer base. Either private or public, Elizabeth would need to dramatically increase it's housing supply to make the course successful. The one advantage they do have is the Parker area continues to grow like crazy and they're much cheaper than any other public courses around. If the club corp courses weren't there they'd be fine.

>

> Like irvtrain indicated, the clubhouse, mineral, water and land is what’s interesting. I can’t tell how much land (non-course) they have. My group is currently looking at some land in Elbert County for development. In this case, throw in a golf course and who knows… this might tip the scales.

So long as you get all of us a membership at cut rate!> @pseudoswede said:

> > @DaVinciGolf said:

> > Like irvtrain indicated, the clubhouse, mineral, water and land is what’s interesting. I can’t tell how much land (non-course) they have. My group is currently looking at some land in Elbert County for development. In this case, throw in a golf course and who knows… this might tip the scales.

>

> Of course, there would be a generous ColoradoWRX discount, right? :smiley:

You beat me to it. As flagship members, we're happy to take a steeply discounted rate. You can even have reciprocals in my apartment kitchen!

• Like 1

> @brianhorne8 said:

> Just got an email from the Ridge about their Easter scramble. $300/foursome and includes a drink, buffet after, etc. 9AM shotgun on April 20. Thoughts?

Jacob posted it a few pages ago. The consensus is that it's Easter weekend, so it might be difficult to gather four people. Even for heathens like me, I think the wife wants some family time since I'm flying to St. Louis this weekend for my college reunion.

> @brianhorne8 said:

> Just got an email from the Ridge about their Easter scramble. $300/foursome and includes a drink, buffet after, etc. 9AM shotgun on April 20. Thoughts?

I will play if there is enough interest. Always fun to mess around in scrambles.

**EDIT Course Updates**

**Heritage Todd Creek**: great shape, like shocking compared to other courses in the area. Must of been easy winter for them or they jumped early on setup.

**Saddle Rock**: Good shape as of last Saturday.

**Murphy Creek**: Played 9 late Sunday. As noted in prior post, patchy fairways and the greens are rolling true/fast but because they sanded them to fill instead of punching as they had planned on the 4th -5th. I asked why they did not punch them and the response was " If we punch them right now we might loose them...." _Not sure what that means?? They did not seem that "bad"_

• Like 1

> @CDM said:

> > @brianhorne8 said:

> > Just got an email from the Ridge about their Easter scramble. $300/foursome and includes a drink, buffet after, etc. 9AM shotgun on April 20. Thoughts?

>

> I will play if there is enough interest. Always fun to mess around in a scrambles.

>

> **EDIT Course Updates**

>

> **Heritage Todd Creek**: great shape, like shocking compared to other courses in the area. Must of been easy winter for them or they jumped early on setup.

> **Saddle Rock**: Good shape as of last Saturday.

> **Murphy Creek**: Played 9 late Sunday. As noted in prior post, patchy fairways and the greens are rolling true/fast but because they sanded them to fill instead of punching as they had planned on the 4th -5th. I asked why they did not punch them and the response was " If we punch them right now we might loose them...." _Not sure what that means?? They did not seem that "bad"_

> @CDM said:

> > @brianhorne8 said:

> > Just got an email from the Ridge about their Easter scramble. $300/foursome and includes a drink, buffet after, etc. 9AM shotgun on April 20. Thoughts?

>

> I will play if there is enough interest. Always fun to mess around in a scrambles.

>

> **EDIT Course Updates**

>

> **Heritage Todd Creek**: great shape, like shocking compared to other courses in the area. Must of been easy winter for them or they jumped early on setup.

> **Saddle Rock**: Good shape as of last Saturday.

> **Murphy Creek**: Played 9 late Sunday. As noted in prior post, patchy fairways and the greens are rolling true/fast but because they sanded them to fill instead of punching as they had planned on the 4th -5th. I asked why they did not punch them and the response was " If we punch them right now we might loose them...." _Not sure what that means?? They did not seem that "bad"_

Let's see where we end up the next day or two. @jacobEDGE, any interest in the scramble?

As for course conditions, I considered playing Todd Creek the other day but opted not to. And I thought the city's site said they were punching Murphy at the end of the month?

Be safe out in this upcoming weather, everyone!

> @Dancin said:

> There's an ad in the latest Colorado Avid Golfer soliciting for buyers of Spring Valley. Asking just under $4 million with water, mineral rights and some land for housing development. Nice layout with one 9 (forget which) being a lot more interesting, but too far out in the boonies. I think you'd need a lot more housing to go in out there to make that place successful at that price. Conditions were still good the last time I played it two years ago, so either the original owners had money to burn or they've done well enough. I had one of the best rounds of my life the first time I played it and in a match play contest against another club too. Used to be a really good deal, but now their in season prices are just slightly lower than south Denver courses. I guess if you're comparing with Castle Rock tee times then it's still a good deal.

I missed that, one of the owners farms/ranches out my way. He still owns the scraper he used to build the course.

> @jacobEDGE said:

> > @brianhorne8 said:

> > Let's see where we end up the next day or two. @jacobEDGE, any interest in the scramble?

>

> Yeah, I'd be down! Being single + no kids + closest family member 1,000 miles away...holidays don't matter to me at all.

Seems like we have three. I’ve got to confirm with my wife that we don’t have stuff to do, but I’d love to do it if we can get a fourth. Though I can’t promise I’ll be of much use...

> @jacobEDGE said:

> I've never played a Shamble before...and doing it from forward tees is going to be super fun. We gonna try and find the long ball hitter? I did squeak out a couple 300+ drives over the weekend, but it'd be awesome to practically make every hole a long Par 3.

Yeah, I'm good for one...maybe two 300 yarders and everything else is 265. I do hit a lot of fairways with my 3 wood though.

This weather is really going to mess up our ability to get any swings in this weekend.

> @brianhorne8 said:

> > @jacobEDGE said:

> > I've never played a Shamble before...and doing it from forward tees is going to be super fun. We gonna try and find the long ball hitter? I did squeak out a couple 300+ drives over the weekend, but it'd be awesome to practically make every hole a long Par 3.

>

> Yeah, I'm good for one...maybe two 300 yarders and everything else is 265. I do hit a lot of fairways with my 3 wood though.

>

> This weather is really going to mess up our ability to get any swings in this weekend.

I am good to go. If we "ham and egg" the drives we should be end up pretty good. Shamble is pretty fun as you actually have focus a bit more.

Edt: Ivtrain needs to play so he can hit some 350's for the team =)

> @CDM said:

> > @brianhorne8 said:

> > > @jacobEDGE said:

> > > I've never played a Shamble before...and doing it from forward tees is going to be super fun. We gonna try and find the long ball hitter? I did squeak out a couple 300+ drives over the weekend, but it'd be awesome to practically make every hole a long Par 3.

> >

> > Yeah, I'm good for one...maybe two 300 yarders and everything else is 265. I do hit a lot of fairways with my 3 wood though.

> >

> > This weather is really going to mess up our ability to get any swings in this weekend.

>

> I am good to go. If we "ham and egg" the drives we should be end up pretty good. Shamble is pretty fun as you actually have focus a bit more.

>

> Edt: Ivtrain needs to play so he can hit some 350's for the team =)

Sweet. Three officially. Anyone want to be our fourth?

@CDM @jacobEDGE if you guys know of a fourth if no one else bites here, let me know. I'd like to sign us up ASAP.

> @brianhorne8 said:

> > @CDM said:

> > > @brianhorne8 said:

> > > > @jacobEDGE said:

> > > > I've never played a Shamble before...and doing it from forward tees is going to be super fun. We gonna try and find the long ball hitter? I did squeak out a couple 300+ drives over the weekend, but it'd be awesome to practically make every hole a long Par 3.

> > >

> > > Yeah, I'm good for one...maybe two 300 yarders and everything else is 265. I do hit a lot of fairways with my 3 wood though.

> > >

> > > This weather is really going to mess up our ability to get any swings in this weekend.

> >

> > I am good to go. If we "ham and egg" the drives we should be end up pretty good. Shamble is pretty fun as you actually have focus a bit more.

> >

> > Edt: Ivtrain needs to play so he can hit some 350's for the team =)

>

> Sweet. Three officially. Anyone want to be our fourth?

> @CDM @jacobEDGE if you guys know of a fourth if no one else bites here, let me know. I'd like to sign us up ASAP.

I can check if no one bites here. I just saw the weather is now listing next Wednesday for snow? Hopefully not true or it melts off.

I wish I had the ability to write up just how amazing Augusta, and the Masters experience, truly is. It's almost beyond comprehension. I had pretty high expectations, and it easily eclipsed those by a mile. Biggest surprise for me was how close together everything was, you literally walk about 50 feet from the green to the next tee box. The other biggest surprise, which everyone says (but you truly don't understand until you are there), is how much undulation there really is on the course. The greens look like they don't have a single flat spot, and I couldn't find a single flat spot to hit an approach shot from. Just walking up and down along the fairways gives you some idea of how up and down the course really is.

We got to the course pretty early and immediately saw that Tiger was going out for a practice round on the back 9, so we decided to head back there to catch some of his practice round. He was playing with Couples and JT, which made for a fun group to watch. Beyond that, it was too many highlights to even try to list. Saw Tiger hit it to about 3 feet on 12, only to see Couples follow up with an equally close shot. Watched DJ chip in for an Albatross on 15, then saw him and Rory skip a few balls across the water on 16. Rickie, Day, Bubba, Brooks...you name them, we saw them. We walked the entire course, saw every hole, stopped at a few spots to watch the action. The food/drinks were incredible and so cheap. The gear shop was amazing and I spent a small fortune in there, mostly on gifts, and have no regrets. The best organized event I've been to.

Here's a few pics. All I can say is, if you have any chance of getting out there, do whatever it takes to make it.

a525d1fdf6r8.jpg

2aewtsnxun2r.jpg

uzmucahvfuiz.jpg

lp69pkuygyfc.jpg

• Like 2

> @brianhorne8 said:

> > @jacobEDGE said:

> > Ugh oh guys, I think it's already full. I clicked the link in the email (which says first 30 teams), and it says "Sold Out" at the bottom. :(

>

> Noooooooooooooo. Oh well. Wanna play next weekend anyway?

Since I already got approval to play might as well play somewhere if the event is full.

@ASak10

Sooooo have to ask, did you try the Pimento Cheese sandwich? Thoughts? I know a hand full of people who have gone (on my list to try and make it one day) and it was a 50/50 on liking it.

I even know one person who has actually played the course but he noted they only let them play the "members" tees which he said was around 6700-6800 yards. Same thing you noted, it has WAY more elevation change than you can see on TV.

This is why I truly suck at sports betting and refuse to put any money into it. My Masters foursome includes a player that didn't even get an invite. I'm still trying to figure out how that happened. I know I googled "Masters field 2019" and was looking at the pga.com website. I guess I should've just looked at the first round tee times.

• Like 1

> @pseudoswede said:

> > @"Golfing Boiler" said:

> > Roughly 270yards to carry to the middle of the green

>

> Sadly, I currently don't have a club that gets me that 270. If I could find a nice 2-iron, I could probably sneak it on the front right part of the green and let it roll towards the back left.

I used to hit an easy 3 wood or 2 iron hybrid into the 16th at Saddleback. I now just take a 5 iron down the fairway and a smooth LW (with spin) and take my chances for birdie that way. I used to play Saddleback A LOT from 2002 through 2011 when I lived in Longmont. It is a good course, generally good conditions. Generous fairways. My favorite tee shot is probably the 13th hole (521yd par 5). I take it over the right bunker down the fairway. I have reached with a driver - 7 iron before. There's a creek fronting the green and the green is shallow from front to back. Hole 15 (478 yd par 4) has always been my nemesis.

• Like 1

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on