2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Colorado WRX 2019

pseudoswede

> @bripgall3265 said:

>

> Were his initials N N????

That is not the guy.

Anyways, welcome to the thread, @bripgall3265. Don't be a stranger.

Live in Colorado? Visit Colorado WRX!

Ping G410 LST 9° Ventus Black 7X

Callaway Apex Pro 2H 18° MMT 80 HB XS
Ping S55 3-PW DG X100 (orange dot)
Ping Glide 52°, 56° (orange dot)

Titleist Vokey SM2 Red Saw 60° (to be retired)

Ping Glide 4.0 60° (orange dot) (soon)
Odyssey Works Big T V-Line CS 33.5"
Front Range Golf Club (frgclub.com)

Overland has a new number 1 hole. They moved the tee boxes up to the left in front of the putting green, put a new green around the corner past 2 tee box and turned the old green into fairway. Instead of having a short, tight hole with overhanging tree branches that pretty much required a strong fade/slice for any wood or driver shot, it's now a long open drive with a slight dog leg left for a longer second shot. 2 is now a shorter par 3 of around 165, so that you aren't in range of shots into 1 green. The old teeing area on 1 is now sort of a kids first tee/practice area with a couple greens. I'm a little sad about losing that 200 yard, often into the wind par 3 as that was a very challenging shot, but the much improved first hole makes up for it and the shorter par 3 should help with pace of play as a lot of people would end up down the hill on the left with that long shot.

Overland isn't the greatest, but it's 5 minutes from my work and for an old style parallel fairway muni it's got some good holes and greens.

> @Dancin said:

> Overland has a new number 1 hole. They moved the tee boxes up to the left in front of the putting green, put a new green around the corner past 2 tee box and turned the old green into fairway. Instead of having a short, tight hole with overhanging tree branches that pretty much required a strong fade/slice for any wood or driver shot, it's now a long open drive with a slight dog leg left for a longer second shot. 2 is now a shorter par 3 of around 165, so that you aren't in range of shots into 1 green. The old teeing area on 1 is now sort of a kids first tee/practice area with a couple greens. I'm a little sad about losing that 200 yard, often into the wind par 3 as that was a very challenging shot, but the much improved first hole makes up for it and the shorter par 3 should help with pace of play as a lot of people would end up down the hill on the left with that long shot.

> Overland isn't the greatest, but it's 5 minutes from my work and for an old style parallel fairway muni it's got some good holes and greens.

Only played it once, about four years back. I think it was Dec. 26 and I walked off the 18th green as snow started falling. I remember it being...fine? Unremarkable, but I almost played it last week when I had some time for a last-second round.

And in a shocking turn of events, I'm able to play next Tuesday. Really looking forward to playing in some cooler weather. Anyone got any recommendations on courses that are fun, reasonably priced and in good shape right now? My usual rotation is Murphy, Riverdale, occasionally Todd Creek (though not this year), and Walnut Creek. I'm willing to drive about an hour out of the city. Maybe a hair more if its worth it.

> @brianhorne8 said:

> > @Dancin said:

> > Overland has a new number 1 hole. They moved the tee boxes up to the left in front of the putting green, put a new green around the corner past 2 tee box and turned the old green into fairway. Instead of having a short, tight hole with overhanging tree branches that pretty much required a strong fade/slice for any wood or driver shot, it's now a long open drive with a slight dog leg left for a longer second shot. 2 is now a shorter par 3 of around 165, so that you aren't in range of shots into 1 green. The old teeing area on 1 is now sort of a kids first tee/practice area with a couple greens. I'm a little sad about losing that 200 yard, often into the wind par 3 as that was a very challenging shot, but the much improved first hole makes up for it and the shorter par 3 should help with pace of play as a lot of people would end up down the hill on the left with that long shot.

> > Overland isn't the greatest, but it's 5 minutes from my work and for an old style parallel fairway muni it's got some good holes and greens.

>

> Only played it once, about four years back. I think it was Dec. 26 and I walked off the 18th green as snow started falling. I remember it being...fine? Unremarkable, but I almost played it last week when I had some time for a last-second round.

>

> And in a shocking turn of events, I'm able to play next Tuesday. Really looking forward to playing in some cooler weather. Anyone got any recommendations on courses that are fun, reasonably priced and in good shape right now? My usual rotation is Murphy, Riverdale, occasionally Todd Creek (though not this year), and Walnut Creek. I'm willing to drive about an hour out of the city. Maybe a hair more if its worth it.

Not sure of course conditions but was in Fraser on Wednesday and the color on the leaves was awesome. I could a see a few of the courses and they still looked really good conditions. Was pretty easy to get too also on a Wednesday at 9ish.

> @brianhorne8 said:

> > @Dancin said:

> > Overland has a new number 1 hole. They moved the tee boxes up to the left in front of the putting green, put a new green around the corner past 2 tee box and turned the old green into fairway. Instead of having a short, tight hole with overhanging tree branches that pretty much required a strong fade/slice for any wood or driver shot, it's now a long open drive with a slight dog leg left for a longer second shot. 2 is now a shorter par 3 of around 165, so that you aren't in range of shots into 1 green. The old teeing area on 1 is now sort of a kids first tee/practice area with a couple greens. I'm a little sad about losing that 200 yard, often into the wind par 3 as that was a very challenging shot, but the much improved first hole makes up for it and the shorter par 3 should help with pace of play as a lot of people would end up down the hill on the left with that long shot.

> > Overland isn't the greatest, but it's 5 minutes from my work and for an old style parallel fairway muni it's got some good holes and greens.

>

> Only played it once, about four years back. I think it was Dec. 26 and I walked off the 18th green as snow started falling. I remember it being...fine? Unremarkable, but I almost played it last week when I had some time for a last-second round.

>

> And in a shocking turn of events, I'm able to play next Tuesday. Really looking forward to playing in some cooler weather. Anyone got any recommendations on courses that are fun, reasonably priced and in good shape right now? My usual rotation is Murphy, Riverdale, occasionally Todd Creek (though not this year), and Walnut Creek. I'm willing to drive about an hour out of the city. Maybe a hair more if its worth it.

Seems that everyone up north (Ute, Twin Peaks, Indian Peaks, etc) either just aerated or are planning to after this weekend.

> @pseudoswede said:

> I'm not sure how I did it, but I qualified for the FRGC season-ending championship at TPC Colorado in October. Looking forward to it.

You can thank me later... I probably helped, as I have passed on playing in the Invitational. For many reasons, I am not planning on playing anymore FRGC events. I'll be playing in either the GC Am or Golfweek tour next season.

> @Noodler said:

> > @pseudoswede said:

> > I'm not sure how I did it, but I qualified for the FRGC season-ending championship at TPC Colorado in October. Looking forward to it.

>

> You can thank me later... I probably helped, as I have passed on playing in the Invitational. For many reasons, I am not planning on playing anymore FRGC events. I'll be playing in either the GC Am or Golfweek tour next season.

I remember my last round in FRGC....walked off the course on the 17th hole (of 27) during a team event. Not my finest moment. But my wallet certainly thanked me in the long run.

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=1] [/size][/font]

Been a pretty devout Vice ball guy for the past three seasons, but I just ordered a few dozen of both the Snell MTB-X and MTB Black to see which I like more. I've used the Black before and really liked it, but heard great things about the X as well. Hoping to get them in before I tee off on Wednesday.

Anyone else have any experience with either?

Been awhile since I've logged on. Part of it is due to the fact that my game totally blows lately lol. I started off the season awesome, and now I have little confidence in my game. Played Homestead yesterday and shot a smooth +22. Granted the wind was absolutely insane, gusting to 40mph, but it was a struggle at times regardless.

Hopefully, today is a bit better as I'm playing Valley CC - I'm excited to play there. Anyone else taking advantage of the CGA member for a day deal?

• Like 1

Cobra LTDx LS - Oban Kiyoshi HB-65
Cobra F8 4w - Tour AD IZ-7s
Cobra 4h - SmacWrap 780 ES x
Cobra Forged Tec Black - AMT x100
Titleist Vokey 50/54/58 SM9
Edel E-1

> @bripgall3265 said:

> By the way.... Hello fellow Colorado WRXers!!!!! Been on this site for a long time and just noticed this forum??? Glad to to be a part of this! I probably worked on some of you clubs?? Worked at numerous shops.

Welcome! Where have you worked?

Edel E-1

> @brianhorne8 said:

> Been a pretty devout Vice ball guy for the past three seasons, but I just ordered a few dozen of both the Snell MTB-X and MTB Black to see which I like more. I've used the Black before and really liked it, but heard great things about the X as well. Hoping to get them in before I tee off on Wednesday.

>

> Anyone else have any experience with either?

I tried both earlier this year as I gamed the MTB Black for a bit when it first came out years back. Black I still like alot, but the MTB-X did not work out well for me and a few others who tried it.

Not sure why but I could not get the distance to be consistent. Driver and long irons in particular.

Went back to the TP5X and toss in Sirxon XV's now and then _(Thanks Dancin...LOL)_

> @thaar said:

> Been awhile since I've logged on. Part of it is due to the fact that my game totally blows lately lol. I started off the season awesome, and now I have little confidence in my game. Played Homestead yesterday and shot a smooth +22. Granted the wind was absolutely insane, gusting to 40mph, but it was a struggle at times regardless.

>

> Hopefully, today is a bit better as I'm playing Valley CC - I'm excited to play there. Anyone else taking advantage of the CGA member for a day deal?

I'll be there today too. Played King's Deer yesterday. Almost unplayable on the back 9 with the wind gusts and greens/pins too fast for conditions. Some putts if you didn't hit the hole it was coming back 20-30 feet no matter what you did. Also putted off a couple greens due to gusts.

• Like 1

> @CDM said:

> Anyone ever do the "Golf or Gourmet Package' at Kiawah Island? https://kiawahresort.com/packages/golf/golf-or-gourmet-escape/

> I know someone who went and said it was worth the money and then some.

>

> _*Ocean Course is part the package just have to book early to get back to back days on it._

>

> _Edit: Last years prices was $300+tax for 2 rounds/ One night lodging. He said he and his Dad played Ocean course twice and two nights for $350ish a person. Does seem like great deal and the weather looks like its mid 50's / low 60's depending on time._

The only thing I can add (since the last time I played Kiawah was over 30 years ago) is that my buddy is a lawyer and State Senator for that district. If you get into trouble, I can pass his information on to you. haha

> @brianhorne8 said:

> Been a pretty devout Vice ball guy for the past three seasons, but I just ordered a few dozen of both the Snell MTB-X and MTB Black to see which I like more. I've used the Black before and really liked it, but heard great things about the X as well. Hoping to get them in before I tee off on Wednesday.

>

> Anyone else have any experience with either?

I bought 2 doz after the My Golf Spy test earlier this year and actually really liked the MTB-X. Driver SS ~100mph for reference. Been playing the TP5X since I ran out of the Snell and like them as well. Have a couple dozen reg TP5 waiting but I thought they felt a little soft the last time I played a sleeve. If I had to guess, I got a couple yards more off well struck long shots (driver and irons) with the Snell, but I prefer the feel of the TP5X on the putter.

> @thaar said:

>

> > @bripgall3265 said:

> > By the way.... Hello fellow Colorado WRXers!!!!! Been on this site for a long time and just noticed this forum??? Glad to to be a part of this! I probably worked on some of you clubs?? Worked at numerous shops.

>

> Welcome! Where have you worked?

>

>

Colorado Ski and Golf (Before Vail Resorts and the Garts) 18 years. Golfsmith, PGASS, Dimension Z and Lenny's.

> @thaar said:

> Been awhile since I've logged on. Part of it is due to the fact that my game totally blows lately lol. I started off the season awesome, and now I have little confidence in my game. Played Homestead yesterday and shot a smooth +22. Granted the wind was absolutely insane, gusting to 40mph, but it was a struggle at times regardless.

>

> Hopefully, today is a bit better as I'm playing Valley CC - I'm excited to play there. Anyone else taking advantage of the CGA member for a day deal?

Absolutely love Valley!!! IMHO the best greens in the state and I think, the only William Bell course in the state.

> @pseudoswede said:

> > @CDM said:

> > Anyone ever do the "Golf or Gourmet Package' at Kiawah Island? https://kiawahresort.com/packages/golf/golf-or-gourmet-escape/

> > I know someone who went and said it was worth the money and then some.

> >

> > _*Ocean Course is part the package just have to book early to get back to back days on it._

> >

> > _Edit: Last years prices was $300+tax for 2 rounds/ One night lodging. He said he and his Dad played Ocean course twice and two nights for $350ish a person. Does seem like great deal and the weather looks like its mid 50's / low 60's depending on time._

>

> The only thing I can add (since the last time I played Kiawah was over 30 years ago) is that my buddy is a lawyer and State Senator for that district. If you get into trouble, I can pass his information on to you. haha

HAHAHAH good to know..!!

They just posted the 2019-2020 rates. $200 for two rounds - one night in the Villas. (Per person) $300 at the 5 start hotel. A few of the guys I play with are talking about putting group together if anyone is interested. Decent flight prices on southwest to Charleston too.

> @stoneydukes said:

> > @brianhorne8 said:

> > Been a pretty devout Vice ball guy for the past three seasons, but I just ordered a few dozen of both the Snell MTB-X and MTB Black to see which I like more. I've used the Black before and really liked it, but heard great things about the X as well. Hoping to get them in before I tee off on Wednesday.

> >

> > Anyone else have any experience with either?

>

> I bought 2 doz after the **** test earlier this year and actually really liked the MTB-X. Driver SS ~100mph for reference. Been playing the TP5X since I ran out of the Snell and like them as well. Have a couple dozen reg TP5 waiting but I thought they felt a little soft the last time I played a sleeve. If I had to guess, I got a couple yards more off well struck long shots (driver and irons) with the Snell, but I prefer the feel of the TP5X on the putter.

Sweet. Yeah, I’m hoping that I can see the purported extra distance off the tee. It also seems like I’ll give up a little in yardage on irons, but I can actually tolerate that as it doesn’t seem that severe.

I wish the TP5X was cheaper. I’ve been super impressed by all the times I’ve played it.

> @bripgall3265 said:

> Absolutely love Valley!!! IMHO the best greens in the state and I think, the only William Bell course in the state.

It was pretty nice except for them double booking the CGA play day with a charity scramble. First 9 was close to 3 hours, but then it sped up and we finished in 5 hours. When I first walked up to the range and saw some of the swings I was thinking wtf how many 25-30 handicaps come out for these cga play days, before I realized there was a charity scramble happening too.

Definitely one of the better older private courses in the Denver area, but they're charging too much for membership for what it is. Their location lets them get away with that.

> @CDM said:

> > @pseudoswede said:

> > > @CDM said:

> > > Anyone ever do the "Golf or Gourmet Package' at Kiawah Island? https://kiawahresort.com/packages/golf/golf-or-gourmet-escape/

> > > I know someone who went and said it was worth the money and then some.

> > >

> > > _*Ocean Course is part the package just have to book early to get back to back days on it._

> > >

> > > _Edit: Last years prices was $300+tax for 2 rounds/ One night lodging. He said he and his Dad played Ocean course twice and two nights for $350ish a person. Does seem like great deal and the weather looks like its mid 50's / low 60's depending on time._

> >

> > The only thing I can add (since the last time I played Kiawah was over 30 years ago) is that my buddy is a lawyer and State Senator for that district. If you get into trouble, I can pass his information on to you. haha

>

> HAHAHAH good to know..!!

>

> They just posted the 2019-2020 rates. $200 for two rounds - one night in the Villas. (Per person) $300 at the 5 start hotel. A few of the guys I play with are talking about putting group together if anyone is interested. Decent flight prices on southwest to Charleston too.

I also have only heard positive comments about it. If you go into it expecting you might get bad weather and are prepared I think you'll be very happy. Also heard it's fairly empty too even with the cheap pricing.

Valley was great, but yes, them double booking with a charity scramble was a bit ridiculous. Nonetheless, I loved the course. Great layout with some fun risk/reward holes. Some long par 4's too, which I like. I'm not a long hitter, but I feel like most courses I play, I'm hitting less than a 9i on most of my approaches. I'd love to be a member there, but as Dancin noted, it's pretty expensive overall.

Finally put together a decent round, but couldn't putt to save my life. I think I had 39 or 40 putts with no one-putts, and didn't make one over 4 feet. Shot an 85 overall, which I'm more than happy with given how I've been playing lately - one double and the rest pars and bogeys. One ball did find a black hole which was frustrating, but so be it.

• Like 1

Edel E-1

> @CDM said:

> Played Broken Tee this morning. Front 9 was in pretty good shape but they sanded the greens and were dressing them but rolled great. Back 9 was in amazing shape. Had not played it in a LONG time. Not a long course but it was fun to go back and play it after so many years.

I've driven by it a bunch and always thought it looked like it had some interesting holes, but never got around to playing it.

> @Dancin said:

> > @CDM said:

> > Played Broken Tee this morning. Front 9 was in pretty good shape but they sanded the greens and were dressing them but rolled great. Back 9 was in amazing shape. Had not played it in a LONG time. Not a long course but it was fun to go back and play it after so many years.

>

> I've driven by it a bunch and always thought it looked like it had some interesting holes, but never got around to playing it.

Front is pretty basic links type. Back (7-18) all in trees. 10-18 is the original holes and you can tell how well the greens are compared to the front 9.

There are a number of holes with bend so requires hitting right location for the correct angle.

> @CDM said:

>

> Back (7-18) all in trees.

7g4uxgfb2dyh.png