Colorado WRX 2019

pseudoswede

> @ASak10 said:

> > @pseudoswede said:

> > I've asked to play from the black tees (7433yds) at TPC Colorado. What could possibly go wrong?

>

> When are you playing? I'll be out there Sunday, hoping the sun warms things up!

I'm playing tomorrow at 11:20am. Looks like the sun is doing a good job melting stuff today (here in DTC), but I did hear that the northern parts got a lot more snow.

Live in Colorado? Visit Colorado WRX!

Ping G410 LST 9° Ventus Black 7X

Callaway Apex Pro 2H 18° MMT 80 HB XS
Ping S55 3-PW DG X100 (orange dot)
Ping Glide 52°, 56° (orange dot)

Titleist Vokey SM2 Red Saw 60° (to be retired)

Ping Glide 4.0 60° (orange dot) (soon)
Odyssey Works Big T V-Line CS 33.5"
Front Range Golf Club (frgclub.com)

I can't recall if I have asked here before, but do any of you have experience with kids in junior golf? My 9 year old girl is starting to take to it and play alright and I could use some guidance from those who have been through it. Instructors, kids clubs, kids events, etc. I am not sure how best to help her game along.

I just find it amazing how difficult it is to find used junior golf clubs. My oldest daughter did a program at Trent Werner a few years ago, and that was pretty good. My youngest did the program at Top Golf, and that was okay (but a great value given it included a few hours of golf plus lunch).

South Suburban's program at Family Sports looks pretty good.

> @pseudoswede said:

> I just find it amazing how difficult it is to find used junior golf clubs. My oldest daughter did a program at Trent Werner a few years ago, and that was pretty good. My youngest did the program at Top Golf, and that was okay (but a great value given it included a few hours of golf plus lunch).

>

> South Suburban's program at Family Sports looks pretty good.

Do 2nd Swing or any other the resellers not offer used junior gear?

> @brianhorne8 said:

>

> Do 2nd Swing or any other the resellers not offer used junior gear?

You would think they would. My guess is that the great majority of junior clubs get so beat up that they're not worth reselling.

> @Hardrain said:

> Yes- clubs are tough as a lot of the junior stuff is kinda junky and its not like there are demo days or a lot of selection in PGASS to try out. We have had good luck with the US Kids clubs but I think she might be ready for something else in the near future.

I've heard really great stuff about the Ping junior sets. A cursory glance shows the price is a bit higher, and I know kids can be fickle, but if she's really into it, it might be worth paying for? Conversely, could you get a used set of GI irons and cut them down with a senior flex shaft or something? Not sure how that messes with swingweight, etc, but I wonder if that's a route you could go too.

> @brianhorne8 said:

> I've heard really great stuff about the Ping junior sets. A cursory glance shows the price is a bit higher, and I know kids can be fickle, but if she's really into it, it might be worth paying for? Conversely, could you get a used set of GI irons and cut them down with a senior flex shaft or something? Not sure how that messes with swingweight, etc, but I wonder if that's a route you could go too.

Ping junior sets cost more than my last two sets of used S-series Ping irons combined. I have access to three older ladies Callaway set. They're both still quite long for both of my kids (they're both projected to be shorter than my wife), and I'm not sure how cutting them down will affect swing weight.

TPC Colorado

Pro tip: if you can't get off the tee, don't play the black tees.

Of course, I didn't discover that until the first tee box (627yd par 5) where I smother hooked a drive a lengthy 215yds. That pretty much continued the whole day. I was just not hitting anything square using the driver (or any club for that matter); and I think it took me until the 9th hole to hit a drive over 250yds. It took me until the 18th hole to put two good shots together.

I also found greenside bunkers like this often because I could not hit approaches with any accuracy or expected distance. If there was a silver lining, I was able to get out of those deep bunkers on my first try and relatively close to the pin. To make it more fun, lots of fairway bunkers were also this cavernous.

ck520xju9x7v.png

The other bummer was that the greens were punched (made worse because the practice green was so bleeping smooth and true).

Other than that, the course is gorgeous and challenging. I would love to play a course of that length often because it can only make me a better player. I wish I was in remotely close to mid-season form (which isn't saying much) when I played. I hadn't swung a club in three weeks, so playing from the black tees was probably a huge mistake--even though I was getting 18 pops as a 10.3 index.

• Like 1

> @brianhorne8 said:

> > @Hardrain said:

> > Yes- clubs are tough as a lot of the junior stuff is kinda junky and its not like there are demo days or a lot of selection in PGASS to try out. We have had good luck with the US Kids clubs but I think she might be ready for something else in the near future.

>

> I've heard really great stuff about the Ping junior sets. A cursory glance shows the price is a bit higher, and I know kids can be fickle, but if she's really into it, it might be worth paying for? Conversely, could you get a used set of GI irons and cut them down with a senior flex shaft or something? Not sure how that messes with swingweight, etc, but I wonder if that's a route you could go too.

From everything I've read, would not recommend cutting down irons for kids. The heads are too heavy for them. I would recommend checking out the Wilson kid sets, I got one for my oldest son and he loves the clubs. Is hitting the ball well. There's also a guy down south who sells kids clubs out of his garage...has like 100 sets in there. I'll see if I can dig up his information.

• Like 1

> @pseudoswede said:

> TPC Colorado

>

> Pro tip: if you can't get off the tee, don't play the black tees.

>

> Of course, I didn't discover that until the first tee box (627yd par 5) where I smother hooked a drive a lengthy 215yds. That pretty much continued the whole day. I was just not hitting anything square using the driver (or any club for that matter); and I think it took me until the 9th hole to hit a drive over 250yds. It took me until the 18th hole to put two good shots together.

>

> I also found greenside bunkers like this often because I could not hit approaches with any accuracy or expected distance. If there was a silver lining, I was able to get out of those deep bunkers on my first try and relatively close to the pin. To make it more fun, lots of fairway bunkers were also this cavernous.

>

> ck520xju9x7v.png

>

> The other bummer was that the greens were punched (made worse because the practice green was so bleeping smooth and true).

>

> Other than that, the course is gorgeous and challenging. I would love to play a course of that length often because it can only make me a better player. I wish I was in remotely close to mid-season form (which isn't saying much) when I played. I hadn't swung a club in three weeks, so playing from the black tees was probably a huge mistake--even though I was getting 18 pops as a 10.3 index.

The punched greens were definitely a bumer, I played there a few weeks ago and the greens were pristine. Made playing on punched greens Sunday a little disappointing but still a great experience. Fun place to play. Had two birdies on the front so that was fun! Also flew two of the par 5 greens in 2 and left myself with some difficult chips...oh well. Misjudged how much wind there was, I guess.

• Like 1

> @pseudoswede said:

> TPC Colorado

>

> The other bummer was that the greens were punched (made worse because the practice green was so bleeping smooth and true).

>

Not a fun day when you can't get off the tee. They must have delayed the aeration as a member I talked to in Sept said they were punching the week of 9/23. I wonder if the members told them to delay it till the weather gets worse.

> @Dancin said:

> > @pseudoswede said:

> > TPC Colorado

> >

> > The other bummer was that the greens were punched (made worse because the practice green was so bleeping smooth and true).

> >

>

> Not a fun day when you can't get off the tee. They must have delayed the aeration as a member I talked to in Sept said they were punching the week of 9/23. I wonder if the members told them to delay it till the weather gets worse.

>

>

That is what kind of made it odd. The league's organizer was told earlier in the week that the greens had been punched three weeks ago. It looked a lot fresher than that.

I think we have an opening at South Suburban tonight if anyone's interested. 4pm tee time.

> @brianhorne8 said:

> Not that it matters at all, because I can still turn in a 90 with the best of them, but my handicap is down as low as its ever been. 6.8 after this week's revision!

Nice but you're supposed to be raising the handicap at the end of the season to be ready for the league start ups in the spring ;-)

I've pretty much sucked since August. Can do well for 9 holes but can't put a good 18 together. If I wasn't posting my combined 9 hole rounds I'd be 3 strokes higher.

• Like 1

Noodler and I played South Suburban back nine yesterday. I shot a craptacular 48 because I can't hit solid iron shots (except on par 3's). On the plus side, I did have three drives over 300, so that felt great.

Update on the $52.80 deal at The Ridge.

I could not get the promo code (5280) to work at all, and I forgot to give the pro shop a call to figure it out. As it turns out, I have way too much to do this upcoming weekend to play golf. Namely clean out and re-organize my garage so that I can fit my car in again before the upcoming wintery yuckiness.

> @irvtrain said:

>

> How are the winter trips looking for you guys?

Going to Orlando over New Year's. No golf, though.

FRGC is in the early stages of planning a trip down to Scottsdale in February. Sounds like fun, but I'm not interested in golf-only trips. (Not now, maybe that'll change when I'm retired.)

• Like 1