2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

2019 Phoenix Area Course Conditions

azgolfer44

> @fore_life said:

> San Marcos on Friday, off CPO and in nice shape, greens slower but rolled well, fairways boxes and sand all really nice. $30 on a Friday 8am, pretty hard value to beat in east valley, I prefer the layout at San Marcos vs Dobson, just wish the greens were sped up

Wish I would have know...I would have gone with you instead of the debacle at Dobson

Just back from my trip - thanks to all that helped plan it out here on the forums!

Quintero Wednesday - 12pm : WOW, first time there. What a track! As I stated, with the wind humming it's really tough. We tipped it out and had a blast. Incredible views......CPO

Legend Trail Thursday Morning - 7am : Played with a local/member; extremely nice. Really enjoyed the layout. Obviously, a bit below the cut of the others. Greens were SLOW. Fairways and tees a little shaggy, but fine. A good warmup for the afternoon round......Carts off path

Troon Monument Thursday Afternoon - 115pm : It's Troon. Incredible conditions, greens were lightning. Tees very shaggy....fairways a bit wet but in great shape all over. Luckily a scramble tournament in front of us; so when they were done we played much quicker. Finished 18 as the sun was setting and got it all in - putted out as it was setting over the mountains. REALLY cool setting/finish. I've played here 4-5 times, it's my favorite spot for sure - just wish it wasn't so "touristy".......Carts off path

SunRidge Canyon Friday - 107pm : WORST EXPERIENCE EVER on a golf course. 12 "bros" teed off in front of us playing a scramble for some occasion, or whatever. Chest bumps and jumping on the green. SEVERAL drives up on the green collar; including one where they drove across the green on 7 - enough so that the driver "high fived" the flag. I was livid. Drove alllllll over the Par 3s and we reported it but the chaos continued. We sent some warning shots several times but they didn't get the message. It ruined the day, for sure. They had a hole and a half in front of them. Several people bitched in the clubhouse, but nothing was really done. I was frustrated that a group of guys who couldn't get the ball off the ground would even want to play a course like that? I suppose the clubhouse can't screen golfers, but they acted like they hadn't seen a proper course ever. Course was in "fine" condition. I expected a little more with how long they closed and conditioned. Greens were rather bumpy and on the slow side.....Carts off path

Wickenburg Ranch Saturday - 9am : If Troon wasn't special to me for personal reasons (grandpa and wife along for my first time there when we went for out baby-moon - grandpa passed last year and loved that place so much), this would be a place I'd say might be top 3 courses on my list of all time (played some big boys all over the country....all of the Pebble courses, Sawgrass, Chambers Bay, Harbor Town, Bellerive as my cousin works there etc). WHAT A TRACK! Conditions 10/10, practice facilities 10/10, clubhouse and setting 10/10. Loved the drive out there too! The course was rather tough from the tips and the fairways were a bit wet, so no roll out. JEEZ, the views there and the scenery were just immaculate! I played with a local who said they're going private in a year or so as they're making it a retirement community. Anyone know more? Will have to make it back if that's the case. Just adored this place! Staff was nice enough to let us use the spa for free to hang and shower before catching a flight. Greens were the fastest I've ever played on - and bent grass. So beautiful reception to the ball and truest roll. On 1 hole, I actually putted it off the green from 18-20 feet.

My rankings: Troon, WR, Quintero, SRC, LT

Conditions: WR, Quintero, Troon, LT, SRC

Hope this wasn't a total waste of reading for you all - Cheers!

-Matt

• Like 2

> @MColin28 said:

> Just back from my trip - thanks to all that helped plan it out here on the forums!

>

> Quintero Wednesday - 12pm : WOW, first time there. What a track! As I stated, with the wind humming it's really tough. We tipped it out and had a blast. Incredible views......CPO

>

> Legend Trail Thursday Morning - 7am : Played with a local/member; extremely nice. Really enjoyed the layout. Obviously, a bit below the cut of the others. Greens were SLOW. Fairways and tees a little shaggy, but fine. A good warmup for the afternoon round......Carts off path

>

> Troon Monument Thursday Afternoon - 115pm : It's Troon. Incredible conditions, greens were lightning. Tees very shaggy....fairways a bit wet but in great shape all over. Luckily a scramble tournament in front of us; so when they were done we played much quicker. Finished 18 as the sun was setting and got it all in - putted out as it was setting over the mountains. REALLY cool setting/finish. I've played here 4-5 times, it's my favorite spot for sure - just wish it wasn't so "touristy".......Carts off path

>

> SunRidge Canyon Friday - 107pm : WORST EXPERIENCE EVER on a golf course. 12 "bros" teed off in front of us playing a scramble for some occasion, or whatever. Chest bumps and jumping on the green. SEVERAL drives up on the green collar; including one where they drove across the green on 7 - enough so that the driver "high fived" the flag. I was livid. Drove alllllll over the Par 3s and we reported it but the chaos continued. We sent some warning shots several times but they didn't get the message. It ruined the day, for sure. They had a hole and a half in front of them. Several people bitched in the clubhouse, but nothing was really done. I was frustrated that a group of guys who couldn't get the ball off the ground would even want to play a course like that? I suppose the clubhouse can't screen golfers, but they acted like they hadn't seen a proper course ever. Course was in "fine" condition. I expected a little more with how long they closed and conditioned. Greens were rather bumpy and on the slow side.....Carts off path

>

> Wickenburg Ranch Saturday - 9am : If Troon wasn't special to me for personal reasons (grandpa and wife along for my first time there when we went for out baby-moon - grandpa passed last year and loved that place so much), this would be a place I'd say might be top 3 courses on my list of all time (played some big boys all over the country....all of the Pebble courses, Sawgrass, Chambers Bay, Harbor Town, Bellerive as my cousin works there etc). WHAT A TRACK! Conditions 10/10, practice facilities 10/10, clubhouse and setting 10/10. Loved the drive out there too! The course was rather tough from the tips and the fairways were a bit wet, so no roll out. JEEZ, the views there and the scenery were just immaculate! I played with a local who said they're going private in a year or so as they're making it a retirement community. Anyone know more? Will have to make it back if that's the case. Just adored this place! Staff was nice enough to let us use the spa for free to hang and shower before catching a flight. Greens were the fastest I've ever played on - and bent grass. So beautiful reception to the ball and truest roll. On 1 hole, I actually putted it off the green from 18-20 feet.

>

> My rankings: Troon, WR, Quintero, SRC, LT

> Conditions: WR, Quintero, Troon, LT, SRC

>

> Hope this wasn't a total waste of reading for you all - Cheers!

>

> -Matt

WR was supposed to be private by now if I recall, but it seemed like it kept getting pushed back. I remember playing it a few years ago and I thought the clock was ticking faster than it apparently was (take it with a grain of salt, as I'm an out-of-towner who only goes to visit my in-laws).

Totally agree on all accounts though , as it's the best conditioned course I've ever been on. I want to play it again next month, but price will totally dictate where I end up.

> @MColin28 said:

> Just back from my trip - thanks to all that helped plan it out here on the forums!

>

>

> SunRidge Canyon Friday - 107pm : WORST EXPERIENCE EVER on a golf course. 12 "bros" teed off in front of us playing a scramble for some occasion, or whatever. Chest bumps and jumping on the green. SEVERAL drives up on the green collar; including one where they drove across the green on 7 - enough so that the driver "high fived" the flag. I was livid. Drove alllllll over the Par 3s and we reported it but the chaos continued. We sent some warning shots several times but they didn't get the message. It ruined the day, for sure. They had a hole and a half in front of them. Several people bitched in the clubhouse, but nothing was really done. I was frustrated that a group of guys who couldn't get the ball off the ground would even want to play a course like that? I suppose the clubhouse can't screen golfers, but they acted like they hadn't seen a proper course ever. Course was in "fine" condition. I expected a little more with how long they closed and conditioned. Greens were rather bumpy and on the slow side.....Carts off path

>

>

> -Matt

Sounds a lot like our final round at Dove Mountain on our Tucson trip. Large group of at least 3 or 4 foursomes ahead of us. Informed that they showed up late, at least 20 minute delay, was about 1/2 hr. Then they proceed to play a 5 and 1/2 hr round with times at least a full hole open ahead of them. No players' assistants to move them along, at times 3 groups stacked up on the tees waiting for them. At least 2 groups give up and leave behind us. Along with no water on the course (like every other course we played) and the response at the pro shop was a shrug. Yeah sorry, we've never had course marshalls... Disappointing considering of the 5 course we played this was the highest greens fees and a former PGA host????

We just got back from a 5 day 8 round quick trip. Weather was perfect, and the courses were all pretty good. First we played Red Mountain Ranch: it was in decent shape, played the afternoon we flew in because it is close to where we stay and its cheap. They were off cart paths, we paid like $30 and played in 3 hours. So all around a good start. Then we played 36 at Southern Dunes on the Thursday. Course was really good, greens probably were the best we putted on, but it was cart path only, which made for a bit of a long day playing 36.. There was some really minor damage on a few back nine holes due to the horses... but nothing major. I think we paid $69 for round 1 (first tee time out at 7am), and then $40 for round 2 in the afternoon. It was very quiet there, not busy at all. Love playing Southern Dunes, awesome place. Day 3 we played Dobson Ranch in the morning. Again first tee time out at 7am. We could drive the carts in the rough, just not the fairways, so essentially off cart path only. Greens and course were in good shape, we had a lot of fun. I think we paid around $50 there. In the afternoon we played Painted Mountain. Again, close to home and really cheap, easy for an afternoon round on a 36 hole day. I believe we paid around $30 and were done in 3 hours again. Saturday, we played Johnson Ranch in the morning and Ocotillo in the afternoon. Both were right around $50. I didn't care for Johnson Ranch, and it was in the worst shape out of any we played. Looked to me like the overseed did not come in very well, greens were extremely slow. Ocotillo was in nice shape, quite wet and cart path only. But the greens were actually rolling pretty good. I always seem to play well at Ocotillo, its kind of short and target, so I don't mind it as much as others. Finally on Sunday we played Trilogy Power Ranch before flying home out of the Mesa Airport. $69, we played at 7am in about 3.5 hours. I really liked it actually. Cart path only so a bit of walking, but it was not a bad course. So just a quick trip, playing some of the cheaper courses around Mesa. We had a great time.

Ping G400 Driver
Ping G400 3 Wood
Adams Pro Black 3 Hybrid
Ping I200 4-9 Irons
Ping Glide 2.0 46/50/56/60
Scotty Cameron GOLO

Legend Trail for the first time. Nice course, but t not worth the drive from Gilbert. In great shape and greens were much faster than the shaggy ones l been on lately. Bunkers were excellent.

Very slow pace of play on Sunday. It must have been ladies day. Almost 100% of the foursomes out there had a few ladies in it.

Mizuno ST-Z 230 9.5 Diamana T+ 60s
Mizuno ST-Z 15* Diamana T+ 60s 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

> @brianhorne8 said:

> > @MColin28 said:

> > Just back from my trip - thanks to all that helped plan it out here on the forums!

> >

> > Quintero Wednesday - 12pm : WOW, first time there. What a track! As I stated, with the wind humming it's really tough. We tipped it out and had a blast. Incredible views......CPO

> >

> > Legend Trail Thursday Morning - 7am : Played with a local/member; extremely nice. Really enjoyed the layout. Obviously, a bit below the cut of the others. Greens were SLOW. Fairways and tees a little shaggy, but fine. A good warmup for the afternoon round......Carts off path

> >

> > Troon Monument Thursday Afternoon - 115pm : It's Troon. Incredible conditions, greens were lightning. Tees very shaggy....fairways a bit wet but in great shape all over. Luckily a scramble tournament in front of us; so when they were done we played much quicker. Finished 18 as the sun was setting and got it all in - putted out as it was setting over the mountains. REALLY cool setting/finish. I've played here 4-5 times, it's my favorite spot for sure - just wish it wasn't so "touristy".......Carts off path

> >

> > SunRidge Canyon Friday - 107pm : WORST EXPERIENCE EVER on a golf course. 12 "bros" teed off in front of us playing a scramble for some occasion, or whatever. Chest bumps and jumping on the green. SEVERAL drives up on the green collar; including one where they drove across the green on 7 - enough so that the driver "high fived" the flag. I was livid. Drove alllllll over the Par 3s and we reported it but the chaos continued. We sent some warning shots several times but they didn't get the message. It ruined the day, for sure. They had a hole and a half in front of them. Several people bitched in the clubhouse, but nothing was really done. I was frustrated that a group of guys who couldn't get the ball off the ground would even want to play a course like that? I suppose the clubhouse can't screen golfers, but they acted like they hadn't seen a proper course ever. Course was in "fine" condition. I expected a little more with how long they closed and conditioned. Greens were rather bumpy and on the slow side.....Carts off path

> >

> > Wickenburg Ranch Saturday - 9am : If Troon wasn't special to me for personal reasons (grandpa and wife along for my first time there when we went for out baby-moon - grandpa passed last year and loved that place so much), this would be a place I'd say might be top 3 courses on my list of all time (played some big boys all over the country....all of the Pebble courses, Sawgrass, Chambers Bay, Harbor Town, Bellerive as my cousin works there etc). WHAT A TRACK! Conditions 10/10, practice facilities 10/10, clubhouse and setting 10/10. Loved the drive out there too! The course was rather tough from the tips and the fairways were a bit wet, so no roll out. JEEZ, the views there and the scenery were just immaculate! I played with a local who said they're going private in a year or so as they're making it a retirement community. Anyone know more? Will have to make it back if that's the case. Just adored this place! Staff was nice enough to let us use the spa for free to hang and shower before catching a flight. Greens were the fastest I've ever played on - and bent grass. So beautiful reception to the ball and truest roll. On 1 hole, I actually putted it off the green from 18-20 feet.

> >

> > My rankings: Troon, WR, Quintero, SRC, LT

> > Conditions: WR, Quintero, Troon, LT, SRC

> >

> > Hope this wasn't a total waste of reading for you all - Cheers!

> >

> > -Matt

>

> WR was supposed to be private by now if I recall, but it seemed like it kept getting pushed back. I remember playing it a few years ago and I thought the clock was ticking faster than it apparently was (take it with a grain of salt, as I'm an out-of-towner who only goes to visit my in-laws).

>

> Totally agree on all accounts though , as it's the best conditioned course I've ever been on. I want to play it again next month, but price will totally dictate where I end up.

Yea, what a gem! LOVED it there! Going to try and make it back. In the summer, they have a deal where you play 18, get a Travis Matthews shirt and hat for $100. Can't beat it! I was told they're about 12-18 months out. It's supposed to be a retirement community, but the lots aren't going as fast as they had hoped. Marshalls were nice and kept pace up (not really needed).

> @InZeroGravity said:

> > @MColin28 said:

> > Just back from my trip - thanks to all that helped plan it out here on the forums!

> >

>

> >

> > SunRidge Canyon Friday - 107pm : WORST EXPERIENCE EVER on a golf course. 12 "bros" teed off in front of us playing a scramble for some occasion, or whatever. Chest bumps and jumping on the green. SEVERAL drives up on the green collar; including one where they drove across the green on 7 - enough so that the driver "high fived" the flag. I was livid. Drove alllllll over the Par 3s and we reported it but the chaos continued. We sent some warning shots several times but they didn't get the message. It ruined the day, for sure. They had a hole and a half in front of them. Several people bitched in the clubhouse, but nothing was really done. I was frustrated that a group of guys who couldn't get the ball off the ground would even want to play a course like that? I suppose the clubhouse can't screen golfers, but they acted like they hadn't seen a proper course ever. Course was in "fine" condition. I expected a little more with how long they closed and conditioned. Greens were rather bumpy and on the slow side.....Carts off path

> >

> >

> > -Matt

>

> Sounds a lot like our final round at Dove Mountain on our Tucson trip. Large group of at least 3 or 4 foursomes ahead of us. Informed that they showed up late, at least 20 minute delay, was about 1/2 hr. Then they proceed to play a 5 and 1/2 hr round with times at least a full hole open ahead of them. No players' assistants to move them along, at times 3 groups stacked up on the tees waiting for them. At least 2 groups give up and leave behind us. Along with no water on the course (like every other course we played) and the response at the pro shop was a shrug. Yeah sorry, we've never had course marshalls... Disappointing considering of the 5 course we played this was the highest greens fees and a former PGA host????

>

>

GEEZ! That sounds absolutely brutal. I just don't get it. I wish people would be honest with themselves on picking courses. If you're out to get drunk and d**k around, go to more of a flat course and keep pace of play up while boozing and goofing off for $50 someplace. Or TopGolf. Don't ruin the experience of golfing activists that are there to truly enjoy the game and course. SO frustrating. But, again, they can't "screen the players" on the range or something LOL

> @MColin28 said:

> Yea, what a gem! LOVED it there! Going to try and make it back. In the summer, they have a deal where you play 18, get a Travis Matthews shirt and hat for $100. Can't beat it! I was told they're about 12-18 months out. It's supposed to be a retirement community, but the lots aren't going as fast as they had hoped. Marshalls were nice and kept pace up (not really needed).

>

Wickenburg isn't far, but isn't close. I'm not totally surprised they're having issues finding buyers. Hoping I can make it out there next month.

> > @InZeroGravity said:

> > > @MColin28 said:

> > > Just back from my trip - thanks to all that helped plan it out here on the forums!

> > >

> >

> > >

> > > SunRidge Canyon Friday - 107pm : WORST EXPERIENCE EVER on a golf course. 12 "bros" teed off in front of us playing a scramble for some occasion, or whatever. Chest bumps and jumping on the green. SEVERAL drives up on the green collar; including one where they drove across the green on 7 - enough so that the driver "high fived" the flag. I was livid. Drove alllllll over the Par 3s and we reported it but the chaos continued. We sent some warning shots several times but they didn't get the message. It ruined the day, for sure. They had a hole and a half in front of them. Several people bitched in the clubhouse, but nothing was really done. I was frustrated that a group of guys who couldn't get the ball off the ground would even want to play a course like that? I suppose the clubhouse can't screen golfers, but they acted like they hadn't seen a proper course ever. Course was in "fine" condition. I expected a little more with how long they closed and conditioned. Greens were rather bumpy and on the slow side.....Carts off path

> > >

> > >

> > > -Matt

> >

> > Sounds a lot like our final round at Dove Mountain on our Tucson trip. Large group of at least 3 or 4 foursomes ahead of us. Informed that they showed up late, at least 20 minute delay, was about 1/2 hr. Then they proceed to play a 5 and 1/2 hr round with times at least a full hole open ahead of them. No players' assistants to move them along, at times 3 groups stacked up on the tees waiting for them. At least 2 groups give up and leave behind us. Along with no water on the course (like every other course we played) and the response at the pro shop was a shrug. Yeah sorry, we've never had course marshalls... Disappointing considering of the 5 course we played this was the highest greens fees and a former PGA host????

> >

> >

>

> GEEZ! That sounds absolutely brutal. I just don't get it. I wish people would be honest with themselves on picking courses. If you're out to get drunk and d**k around, go to more of a flat course and keep pace of play up while boozing and goofing off for $50 someplace. Or TopGolf. Don't ruin the experience of golfing activists that are there to truly enjoy the game and course. SO frustrating. But, again, they can't "screen the players" on the range or something LOL

>

I don't think they were screwing around as much as they maybe were too serious about it. They were all over the map and taking up time. They hit from three different tees (not particularly well), took excessive amounts of time to line up shots and putts, and each one seemingly wanted the flag in or out so putting out took forever. Not exactly ready-golf and it just kept adding up. One guy would wait for the other three to "go ahead to see where his ball goes", I assume he thought he was a real bomber but clearly not that accurate.

> @brianhorne8 said:

> > @MColin28 said:

> > Yea, what a gem! LOVED it there! Going to try and make it back. In the summer, they have a deal where you play 18, get a Travis Matthews shirt and hat for $100. Can't beat it! I was told they're about 12-18 months out. It's supposed to be a retirement community, but the lots aren't going as fast as they had hoped. Marshalls were nice and kept pace up (not really needed).

> >

>

> Wickenburg isn't far, but isn't close. I'm not totally surprised they're having issues finding buyers. Hoping I can make it out there next month.

Real Estate is starting to go down in price here in Boston area you are starting to see small reductions in prices

The plan for Wick Ranch has always been to be private once they have enough resident members to financially support it.

WITB:
Driver: Ping G400 LST 8.5* Kuro Kage Silver TINI 70s
FW: Ping G25 4 wood Kuro Kage Silver TINI 80s
Utility: 20* King Forged Utility One Length C Taper Lite S
Irons: King Forged One Length 4-PW C Taper Lite S
Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 Black Satin 50, 54, 58
Putter: Custom Directed Force Reno 2.0 48" 80* Lie Side Saddle

> @Rohlio said:

> The plan for Wick Ranch has always been to be private once they have enough resident members to financially support it.

That's also the plan for Verde River Golf and Social. Probably a few years for both would be my guess. Even in a burgeoning housing market, how many people want to live in Wickenburg? And in Rio Verde there are several other choices.

Then again, the original plan for Quintero was private. May be a few decades before that happens. And Southern Dunes was originally private. That didn't work so well.

TM Sim Max 10.5 Ventus Red Senior
TM Sim Max 3 Ventus Red Senior 
Cobra F9 17* Rescue Atmos Regular
TM Sim Max 19*, 25*, 28* Rescue Ventus Blue Senior 
Cobra F9 7-SW Atmos Regular
Vokey SM6 62* T Kuro Kage stiff
TM Spider Tour Day
OUUL stand bag
Titleist Velocity or Callaway Softfeel

> @DrSchteeve said:

> > @Rohlio said:

> > The plan for Wick Ranch has always been to be private once they have enough resident members to financially support it.

>

> That's also the plan for Verde River Golf and Social. Probably a few years for both would be my guess. Even in a burgeoning housing market, how many people want to live in Wickenburg? And in Rio Verde there are several other choices.

>

> Then again, the original plan for Quintero was private. May be a few decades before that happens. And Southern Dunes was originally private. That didn't work so well.

>

I have no idea how many want to live there, but the housing construction at WR doesn't seem to be slowing down. Maybe Canadians looking for their winter refuge.

WITB:

McDowell Mountain in really good post overseed shape. Greens near perfect and not slow. Bunkers a bit rocky and inconsistent. Pace was good at 4:15. They go off CPO next week.

TM Spider Tour Day
OUUL stand bag

> @DrSchteeve said:

> McDowell Mountain in really good post overseed shape. Greens near perfect and not slow. Bunkers a bit rocky and inconsistent. Pace was good at 4:15.

That’s next on my list. How is the layout? What course could you compare it to? Appreciate the feedback.

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

> @OspreyCI said:

> > @DrSchteeve said:

> > McDowell Mountain in really good post overseed shape. Greens near perfect and not slow. Bunkers a bit rocky and inconsistent. Pace was good at 4:15.

>

> That’s next on my list. How is the layout? What course could you compare it to? Appreciate the feedback.

You can find some comments, try the pinned thread. It's a typical, good, mid-tier course in almost all respects, although it is one of the best places to practice in Scottsdale, almost always grass on the range, two good short game areas although only one small bunker, decent putting green, and they are fine with anyone coming out and practicing without hassle or charge. Range balls aren't cheap but there aren't many (good) courses in Scottsdale where you can pay by the bag to practice - most of the resorts don't allow it or charge $25 or more to practice for the day.

The course is a decent layout, but nothing special. #3 is a good longer par 3, #5 is a risk/reward par 4, #9 short dogleg par 5, #11 is a good split fairway par 4, #17 a long par 3 with water in play, most other holes decent but not memorable, can't say there are any bad holes. It has nice views but unfortunately power lines are prominent.

It's a very family friendly place, and the restaurant is good with views and a friendly vibe with a bocce ball/bean bag area.

TM Spider Tour Day
OUUL stand bag

> @DrSchteeve said:

> > @OspreyCI said:

> > > @DrSchteeve said:

> > > McDowell Mountain in really good post overseed shape. Greens near perfect and not slow. Bunkers a bit rocky and inconsistent. Pace was good at 4:15.

> >

> > That’s next on my list. How is the layout? What course could you compare it to? Appreciate the feedback.

>

> You can find some comments, try the pinned thread. It's a typical, good, mid-tier course in almost all respects, although it is one of the best places to practice in Scottsdale, almost always grass on the range, two good short game areas although only one small bunker, decent putting green, and they are fine with anyone coming out and practicing without hassle or charge. Range balls aren't cheap but there aren't many (good) courses in Scottsdale where you can pay by the bag to practice - most of the resorts don't allow it or charge $25 or more to practice for the day.

>

> The course is a decent layout, but nothing special. #3 is a good longer par 3, #5 is a risk/reward par 4, #9 short dogleg par 5, #11 is a good split fairway par 4, #17 a decent long par 3 with water in play, most other holes decent but not memorable, can't say there are any bad holes. It has nice views but unfortunately power lines are prominent.

>

> It's a very family friendly place, and the restaurant is decent with views and a friendly vibe with a bocce ball/bean bag area.

Thanks Doc. Appreciate the feedback. Sounds like a must for me.

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

I have been a Legend Trail fan, but the last 2 times playing I left the course due to pace of play issues, and I won’t be back. Both times was on track for 4:45 or worse, and both times was told that the pace wasn’t that bad and there weren’t any gaps, so nothing they could do.

I think the course is very good, and conditions usually good, but they are unwilling or unable to manage pace of play, and they would rather argue that the pace isn’t as bad as it seems than actually manage the course. With the older membership, it's like a well designed Sun City course.

TM Spider Tour Day
OUUL stand bag

> @DrSchteeve said:

> I have been a Legend Trail fan, but the last 2 times playing I left the course due to pace of play issues, and I won’t be back. Both times was on track for 4:45 or worse, and both times was told that the pace wasn’t that bad and there weren’t any gaps, so nothing they could do.

>

> I think the course is very good, and conditions usually good, but they are unwilling or unable to manage pace of play, and they would rather argue that the pace isn’t as bad as it seems than actually manage the course.

Just curious what days of the week/what times you played. I've only ever played it in one of the first 4-5 groups out in the morning on the weekend in summer, so of course it was always a good pace then. The one time we had a group of slow bros in front of us who pushed the pace on track for about 4:30 by hole 12,, the ranger stayed on them once someone complained, got them back in position, and we finished in 4:00.. Another issue I saw there is that quite a few guys in the age 60+ crowd play the Silver tees when they should be playing the Copper.

> @Bonneville85308 said:

> > @DrSchteeve said:

> > I have been a Legend Trail fan, but the last 2 times playing I left the course due to pace of play issues, and I won’t be back. Both times was on track for 4:45 or worse, and both times was told that the pace wasn’t that bad and there weren’t any gaps, so nothing they could do.

> >

> > I think the course is very good, and conditions usually good, but they are unwilling or unable to manage pace of play, and they would rather argue that the pace isn’t as bad as it seems than actually manage the course.

>

> Just curious what days of the week/what times you played. I've only ever played it in one of the first 4-5 groups out in the morning on the weekend in summer, so of course it was always a good pace then. The one time we had a group of slow bros in front of us who pushed the pace on track for about 4:30 by hole 12,, the ranger stayed on them once someone complained, got them back in position, and we finished in 4:00.. Another issue I saw there is that quite a few guys in the age 60+ crowd play the Silver tees when they should be playing the Copper.

>

Today was a Friday afternoon, 12:36 tee time, not sure what the previous day was. Looking at Yelp reviews, almost all complaints are about pace of play, though it's not always that the pace was too slow. They seem to have found a way to piss off people at both ends of the pace of play spectrum. What that tells me is that management is a problem, and there are too many other good options to play to put up with that nonsense.

TM Spider Tour Day
OUUL stand bag

Played Legend Trail only once (last week) and it was painfully. Slow. The comment about a Sun city course is spot on.

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

I'm in Phoenix for the winter, leaving Chicago behind for a few months. So nice to be in shorts and a polo playing a Monday round, and sitting outside having a drink afterward. I could get used to this. I've been to the city 15 times, and have played most of the top courses in the area. I'm going to spend the first few weeks playing the courses I haven't visited before, and then I'm hoping to find a "home" course where I can purchase a monthly membership and spend some time working on my short game. I expect that I'll play some of the better courses on occasion, but I'm looking to conserve my retirement funds. Lol.

I played Cave Creek this afternoon. The course was in very nice shape. The overseeded fairways looked great. There were a handful of bare patches, but nothing that effected play. The greens looked fantastic, but they were a little on the slow side. Definitely an enjoyable day to start my new life as a retiree.

• Like 1

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Southern Dunes yesterday. Man o man what a treat. Conditions were perfect, greens were actually a little firm which was a surprise.

Titleist TSi3 10* w/ Tour AD GP-6
Titleist U510 16* w/ HZRDUS Smoke 
Titleist 818H2 21* w/ Alidila Rogue 
Titleist 712 AP2 w/ X100
Titleist Vokey SM6 50/56/60
Scotty Cameron 009 1.5 Neck

Orange Tree this morning/afternoon. In over 1000 rounds of golf I don't think I've ever used the phrase "My ball is sitting down in the fairway". Lol. They were shaggy to say the least. And wet. Picked up more than my fair share of mud balls. The greens looked good, but were slow. Not quite painfully slow, but close to it. Bunkers could use more sand.

Pace of play was brutal on the front. My playing partner and I were the first group behind the morning men's league. They had a shotgun start, and the last group made the turn to #1 20 minutes behind the pace. We played the front nine in 2:40. Luckily we had clear sailing on the back, and finished under 4 hours. The rain started falling when we were on the final tee box.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Encanto today, just finished 17,18 in the rain. Greens were very good, pretty quick. Bunkers were the best I’ve ever seen there. Fairways were a little shaggy and had clumps of grass clippings all over them. Like it was the first time cutting after letting them grow tall after overseed. Didn’t affect playability other than rollout.

Good pace and nice seeing Encanto, Cave Creek and Aguila all have functioning grills again. Had a good burger for lunch.

> @jatrain said:

> Encanto today, just finished 17,18 in the rain. Greens were very good, pretty quick. Bunkers were the best I’ve ever seen there. Fairways were a little shaggy and had clumps of grass clippings all over them. Like it was the first time cutting after letting them grow tall after overseed. Didn’t affect playability other than rollout.

>

> Good pace and nice seeing Encanto, Cave Creek and Aguila all have functioning grills again. Had a good burger for lunch.

The city of Phoenix has really upped their game on the quality and experience at their courses. I haven't been up to cave creek, but all the others are in really good shape for muni's.

WITB:

> @Argonne69 said:

> Orange Tree this morning/afternoon. In over 1000 rounds of golf I don't think I've ever used the phrase "My ball is sitting down in the fairway". Lol. They were shaggy to say the least. And wet. Picked up more than my fair share of mud balls. The greens looked good, but were slow. Not quite painfully slow, but close to it. Bunkers could use more sand.

>

> Pace of play was brutal on the front. My playing partner and I were the first group behind the morning men's league. They had a shotgun start, and the last group made the turn to #1 20 minutes behind the pace. We played the front nine in 2:40. Luckily we had clear sailing on the back, and finished under 4 hours. The rain started falling when we were on the final tee box.

>

Orange Tree is the kinda of course that makes me wonder why anyone cares about golf.

• Like 1