Smoking while playing

I don’t associate with a single smoker (cigarettes or weed). I only play with people I associate with. Hence, this is a non-issue in my world.

I can't imagine this ... You're missing out dude.

Not even an exaggeration tatertot. Mom smoked for 30+ years, and quit cold turkey after my grandmother (who had smoked most of her life) lost a lung to cancer. Step father is a hardcore drug user. Spent the formative years of my life surrounded by booze and smoke. Vowed I would never spend my adult life in the environment and I’ve kept that promise. I know what I’m missing. I choose my own path.

I'm this way with alcohol. Saw my grandfather whittle away to nothing when I was 16. Swore I'd never be a drinker. My brother in law in 2011 passed away due to alcohol. Happy to say and proud, that I've never been intoxicated.

As for the topic. I don't mind cigars. Cigarettes seems to be literally dying, not often I see it on the course these days. Don't live the smell, would rather not have it around me. Weed? I'm in NJ, still very much illegal around here so I've never seen it on the course with people I've played with and I'm perfectly fine with that.

I amazed at how bold we have become in thinking we control public environments. Even local and state governments struggle with regulating stock yards, marijuana farms, breweries, and other facilities that create odor. They can make a statute that you cannot smoke near the door of a business or inside of a park, but they can't necessarily mandate that you can't do anything anywhere it can be smelled by anyone.

Sure, it's a gross smell if you don't smoke, but how do you handle going into a public bathroom? I'd guess by breathing through your mouth and using your time efficiently. The idea that an adult is responsible for you being offended by a smell that poses no risk to you is absurd. Body odor, farts, bad breath, cologne, fryer grease smoke, diesel fumes, dried urine and the list goes on and on.... break out of the bubble and ground yourself in this existence. Unpleasant smells are part of life, most people learn to ignore it and move on as a child.

To me cigarettes smell absolutely terrible. But as long as you're not putting your butts on the ground or blowing the smoke in my face it is what it is.

Cigars are fine. Just keep the ashes off the greens.

Weed. Its illegal where I live so I don't want to be near it. If someone were to pull it out I'd leave the group. If I'm visiting a location where its legal.... Not really sure. As long as you're not blowing the smoke in my face or being an idiot.... I guess same rules as for cigarettes?

We know that second-hand smoke is NOT just an "unpleasant smell." However, cigarette, and to a lesser extent cigar, smokers generally consider only themselves, like any addict. They are also not to be trusted to not throw their butts on the ground (on the course, or on the street for that matter), because, again, as addicts it's all about themselves and facilitating their addictions. There are exceptions, of course, but that's been my observations over the past fifty years.

> @kmay__ said:

> Don't really care what others are doing out there, but leaving cigrit butts on the greens and teeboxes however **** me off big time. Weed, I smoke it every time I play, with very few exceptions, and its legal here now so no concerns that way. But we aren't leaving roaches behind and we aren't blowing smoke at people so it does not affect anyone.

I don't really care as long as I'm not downwind of whatever they're burning. My issue is that I've noticed many tobacco users tend to have complete disregard for where they leave their waste. Seen it on the golf course with butts all over the place. Seen it from drivers on the road flicking ashes and butts out the window (guarantee a majority of smokers have spotless ashtrays/equivalents in their cars). Seen it on streets around places where people congregate to smoke. Generally speaking, smokers litter the planet with ashes and flick their butts wherever they please. At least the remains from cigars and joints are natural and decompose into the ground.

But I'm sure all the WRX smokers dump their ashes and butts in a cup or can and spit in containers.

> @DeeBee30 said:

> > @kmay__ said:

> > Don't really care what others are doing out there, but leaving cigrit butts on the greens and teeboxes however **** me off big time. Weed, I smoke it every time I play, with very few exceptions, and its legal here now so no concerns that way. But we aren't leaving roaches behind and we aren't blowing smoke at people so it does not affect anyone.

>

> I don't really care as long as I'm not downwind of whatever they're burning. My issue is that I've noticed many tobacco users tend to have complete disregard for where they leave their waste. Seen it on the golf course with butts all over the place. Seen it from drivers on the road flicking ashes and butts out the window (guarantee a majority of smokers have spotless ashtrays/equivalents in their cars). Seen it on streets around places where people congregate to smoke. Generally speaking, smokers litter the planet with ashes and flick their butts wherever they please. At least the remains from cigars and joints are natural and decompose into the ground.

>

> But I'm sure all the WRX smokers dump their ashes and butts in a cup or can and spit in containers.

What's even worse are water bottles. People throw out billions of them all over the world and they never degrade.![](povqf9xu99xv.jpg "")

> @Curtdr said:

> We know that second-hand smoke is NOT just an "unpleasant smell." However, cigarette, and to a lesser extent cigar, smokers generally consider only themselves, like any addict. They are also not to be trusted to not throw their butts on the ground (on the course, or on the street for that matter), because, again, as addicts it's all about themselves and facilitating their addictions. There are exceptions, of course, but that's been my observations over the past fifty years.

> @Curtdr said:

> > @Roadking2003 said:

> > You make the uneducated assumption that all smokers are addicts. Educate yourself.

>

> Not all. Most. Educate YOURself. Nicotine is one of the most addictive substances known.

You are changing the debate. I never said nicotine was not addictive. But not all smokers are addicts.

• 4 months later...

> @Ski5280 said:

> Living in CO, MJ makes it onto the course sometimes. Technically even though it is legal in the state, it’s not supposed to be smoked in public. I’ve had to leave a round a couple of times because random playing partners insisted on smoking it. It’s annoying.

you've had to leave a round a couple of times? good lord! How many rounds have you left because someone was smoking cigs or a cigar? those are two you should be leaving if any or leave none. definitely the dumbest thing I've read on here today.

> @PoolPond said:

> > @Ski5280 said:

> > Living in CO, MJ makes it onto the course sometimes. Technically even though it is legal in the state, it’s not supposed to be smoked in public. I’ve had to leave a round a couple of times because random playing partners insisted on smoking it. It’s annoying.

>

> you've had to leave a round a couple of times? good lord! How many rounds have you left because someone was smoking cigs or a cigar? those are two you should be leaving if any or leave none. definitely the dumbest thing I've read on here today.

And yet the rest of us just had to read something more dumb?

Would it be possible to ask everyone to post as if they were responding to a person in the same room?

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

> @PoolPond said:

> > @Ski5280 said:

> > Living in CO, MJ makes it onto the course sometimes. Technically even though it is legal in the state, it’s not supposed to be smoked in public. I’ve had to leave a round a couple of times because random playing partners insisted on smoking it. It’s annoying.

>

> you've had to leave a round a couple of times? good lord! How many rounds have you left because someone was smoking cigs or a cigar? those are two you should be leaving if any or leave none. definitely the dumbest thing I've read on here today.

I work a job where I can't have any traces of it, and really, am held up to a particular standard of conduct on and off work, regarding illegalities. No, I'm not a cop, but I can't be around people doing illegal stuff and get caught/seen with them, even pot. I could lose my job I've had for 20+ years. It's that simple, a certain standard of ethics. Sure, I could (should?) probably report it too, but the line is usually drawn at it personally affecting me (like a family member) so removing one from the situation is really the only course of action. And if the course is full-up, what's one to do to continue playing, just not with them?

It may seem incredulous to you, but thems the facts. Calling someone dumb for a failure of YOUR understanding of what the person has to deal with, speaks volumes about you.

--kC

Ping 430Max 10k / Callaway UW 17 & 21 / Srixon ZX5 Irons (5-AW) / Vokey SM8 56* & 60*, Callaway, 64*

> @scooterboy59 said:

> Do people who smoke during a round bother you?

>

> No big deal I just stay up wind.

>

> How about cigars?

>

> I do like the smell of them and have smoked one or two while playing a couple of times. I don't buy them or really smoke at all, just offered one.

>

> How about weed?

>

> Had a group that I played with sometimes and a couple of the guys smoked. They would always ride together. If you seen them pull off the side of the fairway stopped. They were smoking out of a pipe.Kind of Cheech and Chong type of guys. Funny.

>

> How about smokeless tobacco?

>

> I dipped for years. Still would if it was a lot healthier. It's a nasty habit though.

Nope, none of it bothers me. If you’re going to smoke cigarettes and cigars just make sure you put your butts in the trash. Same goes for dip pouches. No body likes walking up beautiful tee box only to find cigarette butts and used dip pouches. Gross.

> @DiscoDiner said:

> Nope, none of it bothers me. If you’re going to smoke cigarettes and cigars just make sure you put your butts in the trash. Same goes for dip pouches. No body likes walking up beautiful tee box only to find cigarette butts and used dip pouches. Gross.

Same goes for all trash. Candy wrappers, water bottles, etc. Nobody likes to see trash.

I guess it appears I'm in the minority, but I can't stand it. I'm all for personal liberties and I support people being able to do whatever they want _until_ their actions have a detrimental effect on others. If you want to smoke in your house or on your property where I'm not going to be affected, or where you have more standing to do as you please, please do so; I have no right to go to your house and tell you what you can't do. However, if you are smoking while golfing with me, or in any public place for that matter, I'm not ok with it because I have to deal with the noxious smell and the--almost always--annoying spitting and coughing of the smoker. Vaping is just as bad, especially because it seems to me that vaping causes much more of a smoke/vapor cloud and has a much more pungent smell. This applies to smoking tobacco and marijuana.

Also, without getting into a whole legal diatribe, marijuana is not legal for recreational use, no matter what your state tells you.

Driver: TaylorMade SIM 8* (standard setting) with MCA Tensei AV Raw Orange 75TX at 44.5"
3W: TaylorMade M5 15* (standard setting) with Oban Devotion 8 O5 at 42"
Hybrid: PXG Gen 2 0317X 19* (standard setting) with Oban Kiyoshi Purple Hybrid O5 at 39.5"
4i-9i: Callaway '18 Apex MB's with KBS C-Taper 130X at 1/4" long
46: Callaway JAWS MD5 10S
50: Callaway JAWS MD5 10S
54: Callaway JAWS MD5 8C
58: Callaway JAWS MD5 8W
Putter: Kari Lajosi Custom DD201WB

I don't really care what you smoke, I care somewhat if I have to smell it, and care a ton if you're throwing your ash/butts around on the fairways/greens. I hate finding a ton of cigar ash on a putting green. Of the three I think I'd prefer the weed smoker, it's the least offensive smelling and on courses I think I've only come across people smoking out of one hitters.

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

Many of my buddies smoke oil vapes or one hitters on the course. Always discrete and you would never know they did unless you were riding in their cart. If we are ever paired up with someone outside of our group they won't partake.

None of it bothers me as long as you dispose of everything properly. I'd rather have a smoker over a drunk idiot on the course all day...

> @MountainKing said:

> I don't really care what you smoke, I care somewhat if I have to smell it, and care a ton if you're throwing your ash/butts around on the fairways/greens. I hate finding a ton of cigar ash on a putting green.

Ash is good for the turf. Helps adjust PH. And it disappears when the first water or mower hits it.

What never goes away are water bottles.

> @Roadking2003 said:

> > @MountainKing said:

> > I don't really care what you smoke, I care somewhat if I have to smell it, and care a ton if you're throwing your ash/butts around on the fairways/greens. I hate finding a ton of cigar ash on a putting green.

>

> Ash is good for the turf. Helps adjust PH. And it disappears when the first water or mower hits it.

>

> What never goes away are water bottles.

>

>

I'm not sure where the heck you're playing at, but I've never seen a course littered in water bottles.

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

To the folks who say "just dont blow it in my face", an honest question for you: has that EVER actually happened? I smoked for a long time (no longer do), and I've been around smokers all of my life. I play golf with all kinds of people and many of them smoke. I have never seen anyone blow smoke into someone's face. As someone who smoked for a long time and no longer does, I am in the minority that the smell of smoke does not bother me at all. But if someone blew it in my face there would be a problem. I've just never seen it happen and am curious what kind of people you associate with that would prompt you to make such a statement.

> @bigred90gt said:

> To the folks who say "just dont blow it in my face", an honest question for you: has that EVER actually happened? I smoked for a long time (no longer do), and I've been around smokers all of my life. I play golf with all kinds of people and many of them smoke. I have never seen anyone blow smoke into someone's face. As someone who smoked for a long time and no longer does, I am in the minority that the smell of smoke does not bother me at all. But if someone blew it in my face there would be a problem. I've just never seen it happen and am curious what kind of people you associate with that would prompt you to make such a statement.

I am going with he meant to be courteous about where the smoke goes. Don’t smoke next to me in the cart with it blowing right at me, across the small table from me after dinner, in my car, or getting too close in a conversation. Smoke all you want and I know I will smell it and be in the vicinity of it and I will be fine. But be courteous enough where there is enough distance that I am not actually breathing in your smoke or getting it in my eyes. Most smokers I have met do make that effort. And then some will light up in the chair next to you as you are trying to eat.

I used to smoke but no longer do, and it’s been so long that i no longer care for the smell of it and even less so now that I have a child. But if you are smoking in a designated area, or are out in the open and are mindful of others who do not smoke around you, basically just giving others a little bit of distance, then we have no issues whatsoever.

> @padget said:

> I am going with he meant to be courteous about where the smoke goes. Don’t smoke next to me in the cart with it blowing right at me, across the small table from me after dinner, in my car, or getting too close in a conversation. Smoke all you want and I know I will smell it and be in the vicinity of it and I will be fine. But be courteous enough where there is enough distance that I am not actually breathing in your smoke or getting it in my eyes. Most smokers I have met do make that effort. And then some will light up in the chair next to you as you are trying to eat.

> I used to smoke but no longer do, and it’s been so long that i no longer care for the smell of it and even less so now that I have a child. But if you are smoking in a designated area, or are out in the open and are mindful of others who do not smoke around you, basically just giving others a little bit of distance, then we have no issues whatsoever.

>

This is a very rational post in this discussion, good for you.

I smoke cigars - small cigarillos and large cigars - while on the course. In our regular group 2 people smoke the weed or derivatives (legal in Canada). I can't be ingesting any drugs due to my job, so they understand and smoke away from from me at least 20'. As for the cigar smoke, I am sensitive to their proximity to me and we all have our needs met. Also, the course supplies ashcans for the carts so no one needs to litter. It is all about having a conversation and respecting others needs. If I play with strangers I always ask about the cigar smoke and normally people will say please keep it out of my space (or words to that effect). If one of these is in the same cart I will request another cart for myself, and have never been turned down at a course. There is is no need for these things to be an issue among players, communication is the key.

Many non-smokers - mostly women - have also approached me and said they love the smell of cigars, it reminds them of a grandfather or uncle.

Callaway Epic Speed M10 Smoke
Taylor Made SIM 3W Titanium Diamana Limited
Taylor Made SIM 5W Titanium Diamana Limited
Taylor Made GAPR HI KBS 4,5,
HONMA TW747P 6-11 Vizard 85g
Cleveland 56* Smoke RTX Zipcore DG Spinner
Lajosi 808 Damascus, Callaway S2H2 Tuttle
Seed 01, Maxfli Tour

> @bigred90gt said:

> To the folks who say "just dont blow it in my face", an honest question for you: has that EVER actually happened? I smoked for a long time (no longer do), and I've been around smokers all of my life. I play golf with all kinds of people and many of them smoke. I have never seen anyone blow smoke into someone's face. As someone who smoked for a long time and no longer does, I am in the minority that the smell of smoke does not bother me at all. But if someone blew it in my face there would be a problem. I've just never seen it happen and am curious what kind of people you associate with that would prompt you to make such a statement.

Me too. I have never seen or heard of anyone blowing smoke in another person's face.

> @Roadking2003 said:

> > @Quasimoto said:

> > Many non-smokers - mostly women - have also approached me and said they love the smell of cigars, it reminds them of a grandfather or uncle.

> >

>

> Yes! Second-hand cigar smoke is wonderful. I would quit smoking cigars if somebody would smoke them around me all of the time.

Just out of curiosity, what does second hand cigar smoke have to do with the smell of cigars?

Callaway Epic Speed M10 Smoke
Taylor Made SIM 3W Titanium Diamana Limited
Taylor Made SIM 5W Titanium Diamana Limited
Taylor Made GAPR HI KBS 4,5,
HONMA TW747P 6-11 Vizard 85g
Cleveland 56* Smoke RTX Zipcore DG Spinner
Lajosi 808 Damascus, Callaway S2H2 Tuttle
Seed 01, Maxfli Tour

> @Quasimoto said:

> > @Roadking2003 said:

> > > @Quasimoto said:

> > > Many non-smokers - mostly women - have also approached me and said they love the smell of cigars, it reminds them of a grandfather or uncle.

> > >

> >

> > Yes! Second-hand cigar smoke is wonderful. I would quit smoking cigars if somebody would smoke them around me all of the time.

>

> Just out of curiosity, what does second hand cigar smoke have to do with the smell of cigars?

Smelling cigar smoke is much less harsh than smoking a cigar. It's like the smell of coffee is milder and more pleasant than drinking coffee.