2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Smoking while playing

• 4 weeks later...

I've played on the apttour web.com qualifiers and am a professional long driver I smoke like a chimney guess that's why they call me the tatted john daly haha I cld give af what people want or think about my cigarette smoking if you dont like it tough shit its outside and last time I checked it's a FREE COUNTRY

> @scratchswinger10 said:

> I've played on the apttour web.com qualifiers and am a professional long driver I smoke like a chimney guess that's why they call me the tatted john daly haha I cld give af what people want or think about my cigarette smoking if you dont like it tough **** its outside and last time I checked it's a FREE COUNTRY

Exactly it’s supposed to be a free country. What gives you the right to take away the freedom of innocent people?

> @"Hit em good" said:

> Smoking legal stuff and dipping don't bother me in the least.

>

>

>

> Smoking dope is altogether different. I don't keep time with folks who do that.

>

>

>

> Hit em good

So what happens when the old white guys that are making it legal, (because they figured out they can grow it and sell it as corporations, making huge profits), make it 100% legal both locally and federally? Will you still not have time for those folks who do that?

Disclaimer: I don't smoke, so I'm not coming after you as someone who feels insulted. Just looking for an explanation as to why...

Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9°, Rogue Elite 859 65R

Adams Idea Pro 20° VS Proto
Nike VR Pro Combo 3-PW XP115
Nike VR 54/58/62 XP115
Nike MC04w 
TP5X

> @islesmb said:

> > @scratchswinger10 said:

> > I've played on the apttour web.com qualifiers and am a professional long driver I smoke like a chimney guess that's why they call me the tatted john daly haha I cld give af what people want or think about my cigarette smoking if you dont like it tough **** its outside and last time I checked it's a FREE COUNTRY

>

> Exactly it’s supposed to be a free country. What gives you the right to take away the freedom of innocent people?

>

Where in @scratchswinger's post did he say anthing about taking away people's freedom??? That's a bit hyperbolic.

> @"Hack Daddy" said:

> > @"Hit em good" said:

> > Smoking legal stuff and dipping don't bother me in the least.

> >

> >

> >

> > Smoking dope is altogether different. I don't keep time with folks who do that.

> >

> >

> >

> > Hit em good

>

> So what happens when the old white guys that are making it legal, (because they figured out they can grow it and sell it as corporations, making huge profits), make it 100% legal both locally and federally? Will you still not have time for those folks who do that?

>

> Disclaimer: I don't smoke, so I'm not coming after you as someone who feels insulted. Just looking for an explanation as to why...

why are you injecting race into this????

• Like 1

> @"Crazy About Golf" said:

> > @islesmb said:

> > > @scratchswinger10 said:

> > > I've played on the apttour web.com qualifiers and am a professional long driver I smoke like a chimney guess that's why they call me the tatted john daly haha I cld give af what people want or think about my cigarette smoking if you dont like it tough **** its outside and last time I checked it's a FREE COUNTRY

> >

> > Exactly it’s supposed to be a free country. What gives you the right to take away the freedom of innocent people?

> >

> Where in @scratchswinger's post did he say anthing about taking away people's freedom??? That's a bit hyperbolic.

>

It was implied in @scratchswinger's post. @islesmb has a right to be free from inhaling and smelling crap he doesn't want. Conversely, assuming smoking on a particular course is allowed, @scratchswinger has the right to light up. Clearly, those two "rights" can have a head-on clash if @scratchswinger and @islesmb get paired together. In these cases, I think common sense should prevail and @scratchswinger should not smoke. It would be a lot easier for @scratchswinger to refrain from smoking than it would be for @islesmb to hold his breath and/or walk 30 yards away every time @scratchswinger decides to light up.

If you don't like that hypo, consider this one. You are playing at a course that allows music on the course. You are paired with someone that decides to play music using his phone and portable speaker on his bag. He wants to play music throughout the round, while you are swinging, while you are both in a cart together, on the greens, etc. The fact that he wants to play music bothers you (because you prefer silence) and the specific music he wants to play is offensive to you (e.g. you hate country music and this guy wants to blast Toby Keith.. who, honestly, may be offensive even to those who do like country). Technically, he has the "right" to play the music. However, his playing the music infringes your "right" to not be disturbed during your round. Should you accommodate his music, or should he turn the music off?

Driver: TaylorMade SIM 8* (standard setting) with MCA Tensei AV Raw Orange 75TX at 44.5"
3W: TaylorMade M5 15* (standard setting) with Oban Devotion 8 O5 at 42"
Hybrid: PXG Gen 2 0317X 19* (standard setting) with Oban Kiyoshi Purple Hybrid O5 at 39.5"
4i-9i: Callaway '18 Apex MB's with KBS C-Taper 130X at 1/4" long
46: Callaway JAWS MD5 10S
50: Callaway JAWS MD5 10S
54: Callaway JAWS MD5 8C
58: Callaway JAWS MD5 8W
Putter: Kari Lajosi Custom DD201WB

> @Philomathesq said:

> > @"Crazy About Golf" said:

> > > @islesmb said:

> > > > @scratchswinger10 said:

> > > > I've played on the apttour web.com qualifiers and am a professional long driver I smoke like a chimney guess that's why they call me the tatted john daly haha I cld give af what people want or think about my cigarette smoking if you dont like it tough **** its outside and last time I checked it's a FREE COUNTRY

> > >

> > > Exactly it’s supposed to be a free country. What gives you the right to take away the freedom of innocent people?

> > >

> > Where in @scratchswinger's post did he say anthing about taking away people's freedom??? That's a bit hyperbolic.

> >

>

> It was implied in @scratchswinger's post. @islesmb has a right to be free from inhaling and smelling crap he doesn't want. Conversely, assuming smoking on a particular course is allowed, @scratchswinger has the right to light up. Clearly, those two "rights" can have a head-on clash if @scratchswinger and @islesmb get paired together. In these cases, I think common sense should prevail and @scratchswinger should not smoke. It would be a lot easier for @scratchswinger to refrain from smoking than it would be for @islesmb to hold his breath and/or walk 30 yards away every time @scratchswinger decides to light up.

>

> If you don't like that hypo, consider this one. You are playing at a course that allows music on the course. You are paired with someone that decides to play music using his phone and portable speaker on his bag. He wants to play music throughout the round, while you are swinging, while you are both in a cart together, on the greens, etc. The fact that he wants to play music bothers you (because you prefer silence) and the specific music he wants to play is offensive to you (e.g. you hate country music and this guy wants to blast Toby Keith.. who, honestly, may be offensive even to those who do like country). Technically, he has the "right" to play the music. However, his playing the music infringes your "right" to not be disturbed during your round. Should you accommodate his music, or should he turn the music off?

You are correct that this potentially creates a clash between where @scratchswinger's rights end and where @islesmb's begin. One could ASSUME he is being inconsiderate, judging by his flippant comments.....but that's an assumption, and you know what they say about assumption. So context is important here. Is he riding in a cart with someone else, or walking by himself? Is he smoking right on top of his playing partners and blowing smoke into their faces, or is he keeping his distance? I would certainly take issue if he weren't being respectful of my boundaries. But if he is being considerate, there's no issue here. Nowhere does @scratchswinger state he is acting in any manner that truly affects others. He simply says that he doesn't give a cr@p what other people think about what he's doing. So, yes, I have an issue with @islesmb making a blanket comment that someone smoking on the course, absent any other context, is somehow "taking away the freedom of innocent people."

> > @Philomathesq said:

> > > @"Crazy About Golf" said:

> > > > @islesmb said:

> > > > > @scratchswinger10 said:

> > > > > I've played on the apttour web.com qualifiers and am a professional long driver I smoke like a chimney guess that's why they call me the tatted john daly haha I cld give af what people want or think about my cigarette smoking if you dont like it tough **** its outside and last time I checked it's a FREE COUNTRY

> > > >

> > > > Exactly it’s supposed to be a free country. What gives you the right to take away the freedom of innocent people?

> > > >

> > > Where in @scratchswinger's post did he say anthing about taking away people's freedom??? That's a bit hyperbolic.

> > >

> >

> > It was implied in @scratchswinger's post. @islesmb has a right to be free from inhaling and smelling crap he doesn't want. Conversely, assuming smoking on a particular course is allowed, @scratchswinger has the right to light up. Clearly, those two "rights" can have a head-on clash if @scratchswinger and @islesmb get paired together. In these cases, I think common sense should prevail and @scratchswinger should not smoke. It would be a lot easier for @scratchswinger to refrain from smoking than it would be for @islesmb to hold his breath and/or walk 30 yards away every time @scratchswinger decides to light up.

> >

> > If you don't like that hypo, consider this one. You are playing at a course that allows music on the course. You are paired with someone that decides to play music using his phone and portable speaker on his bag. He wants to play music throughout the round, while you are swinging, while you are both in a cart together, on the greens, etc. The fact that he wants to play music bothers you (because you prefer silence) and the specific music he wants to play is offensive to you (e.g. you hate country music and this guy wants to blast Toby Keith.. who, honestly, may be offensive even to those who do like country). Technically, he has the "right" to play the music. However, his playing the music infringes your "right" to not be disturbed during your round. Should you accommodate his music, or should he turn the music off?

>

> You are correct that this potentially creates a clash between where @scratchswinger's rights end and where @islesmb's begin. One could ASSUME he is being inconsiderate, judging by his flippant comments.....but that's an assumption, and you know what they say about assumption. So context is important here. Is he riding in a cart with someone else, or walking by himself? Is he smoking right on top of his playing partners and blowing smoke into their faces, or is he keeping his distance? I would certainly take issue if he weren't being respectful of my boundaries. But if he is being considerate, there's no issue here. Nowhere does @scratchswinger state he is acting in any manner that truly affects others. He simply says that he doesn't give a cr@p what other people think about what he's doing. So, yes, I have an issue with @islesmb making a blanket comment that someone smoking on the course, absent any other context, is somehow "taking away the freedom of innocent people."

You make solid points, although if you go back and re-read my post you'll see I qualified my comments with "if @scratchswinger and @islesmb get paired together . . . ." I see that as a condition, not an assumption. If @scratchswinger is going out as a single, then I don't give a damn what he, or anyone else as a single, smokes. However, my statement was directed at situations when a smoker is paired with a non-smoker. It is in those situations that I think the "rights" of the smoker should yield to the "rights" of the non-smoker because it is the most efficient solution.

Driver: TaylorMade SIM 8* (standard setting) with MCA Tensei AV Raw Orange 75TX at 44.5"
Hybrid: PXG Gen 2 0317X 19* (standard setting) with Oban Kiyoshi Purple Hybrid O5 at 39.5"

> @Philomathesq said:

> You make solid points, although if you go back and re-read my post you'll see I qualified my comments with "if @scratchswinger and @islesmb get paired together . . . ." I see that as a condition, not an assumption. If @scratchswinger is going out as a single, then I don't give a **** what he, or anyone else as a single, smokes. However, my statement was directed at situations when a smoker is paired with a non-smoker. It is in those situations that I think the "rights" of the smoker should yield to the "rights" of the non-smoker because it is the most efficient solution.

I've been paired with lots of people, but rarely ever been in a cart with a stranger (aside from tournaments I used to play in). If I'm in a cart, paired with someone in their cart, I wouldn't yield to ANY request they made about me smoking (when I smoked). I've never seen anyone blow smoke in someone's face, so that's not really a thing. I wouldn't stand next to them and smoke, and if we were in the same cart, I probably wouldn't smoke while they were in the cart (or while I was, either way), but that's as far as my courtesy would or should go.

Being that I no longer smoke, I no longer have to be concerned with it. I do play with people that smoke, and I take no issue at all with them smoking in the cart with me. The air we breathe around here isnt going to be any better than 2nd hand smoke, so light up if you got em.

> @Philomathesq said:

>

> You make solid points, although if you go back and re-read my post you'll see I qualified my comments with "if @scratchswinger and @islesmb get paired together . . . ." I see that as a condition, not an assumption. If @scratchswinger is going out as a single, then I don't give a **** what he, or anyone else as a single, smokes. However, my statement was directed at situations when a smoker is paired with a non-smoker. It is in those situations that I think the "rights" of the smoker should yield to the "rights" of the non-smoker because it is the most efficient solution.

Even if they are paired together......we cannot just assume @scratchswinger is going to his blow smoke all over the other guy with impunity while sitting in a golf cart. Yes, the burden is on the smoker to avoid impacting his playing partner(s), and I think that is 100% fair. Just like if you wanna listen to music on the course, it's on you to not let it affect the guys in your group. I am not a fan of smoking, but I'm certainly not going to get my panties in knot if someone wants to light up.....provided he's not blowing smoke on me or throwing his butts on the ground. At the end of the day, people simply need to be considerate of others on the course. A person can easily smoke a cigarette on the course and in no way impact his playing partner(s)' enjoyment of the round.

I'll echo what many have said here. Not a fan of the butts on the greens or fairways or smoking in general. But I respect the rights of people to do as they please (smoking) as long as it doesn't interfere with my personal space. No different from playing loud music. If it can be done without annoying others, than fine. It's all about personal space. I admit that protecting that personal space is very difficult in public situations.

> @Roadking2003 said:

> > @Quasimoto said:

> > Many non-smokers - mostly women - have also approached me and said they love the smell of cigars, it reminds them of a grandfather or uncle.

> >

>

> Yes! Second-hand cigar smoke is wonderful. I would quit smoking cigars if somebody would smoke them around me all of the time.

Yuk. I can barely deal with cigarette smoke somewhat away from me, but cigars, no way. Smoking of any kind is against city bylaws on most courses I play but is not enforced.

> @myspinonit said:

> > @Roadking2003 said:

> > > @Quasimoto said:

> > > Many non-smokers - mostly women - have also approached me and said they love the smell of cigars, it reminds them of a grandfather or uncle.

> > >

> >

> > Yes! Second-hand cigar smoke is wonderful. I would quit smoking cigars if somebody would smoke them around me all of the time.

>

> Yuk. I can barely deal with cigarette smoke somewhat away from me, but cigars, no way. Smoking of any kind is against city bylaws on most courses I play but is not enforced.

Smoking in open spaces is prohibited? What cities have those laws?

> @scratchswinger10 said:

> I've played on the apttour web.com qualifiers and am a professional long driver I smoke like a chimney guess that's why they call me the tatted john daly haha I cld give af what people want or think about my cigarette smoking if you dont like it tough **** its outside and last time I checked it's a FREE COUNTRY

Well, it should be a free country but it's not in many areas.

> @Roadking2003 said:

> > @Curtdr said:

> > We know that second-hand smoke is NOT just an "unpleasant smell."

>

> **Actually it is harmless.** And quite pleasant to many people.

>

>

What? You are incorrect. Do a quick Google.

Here's one to save you looking it up: https://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/data_statistics/fact_sheets/secondhand_smoke/health_effects/index.htm

Second hand smoke from the burning end is MORE dangerous than it is for the person smoking. Third-hand smoke (residue left on furniture, steering wheels etc. etc.) is also a concern now.

And... if you smell something it's the molecules you are smelling. Google that too if you want. That and the second-hand smoke health issue (and fire hazard) also covers your issue with cities like mine that ban smoking in "open spaces"---city Park property which includes municipal golf courses, city parks and beaches.

> @myspinonit said:

> > @Roadking2003 said:

> > > @Curtdr said:

> > > We know that second-hand smoke is NOT just an "unpleasant smell."

> >

> > **Actually it is harmless.** And quite pleasant to many people.

> >

> >

> What? You are incorrect. Do a quick Google.

> Here's one to save you looking it up: https://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/data_statistics/fact_sheets/secondhand_smoke/health_effects/index.htm

> Second hand smoke from the burning end is MORE dangerous than it is for the person smoking. Third-hand smoke (residue left on furniture, steering wheels etc. etc.) is also a concern now.

>

> And... if you smell something it's the molecules you are smelling. Google that too if you want. That and the second-hand smoke health issue (and fire hazard) also covers your issue with cities like mine that ban smoking in "open spaces"---city Park property which includes municipal golf courses, city parks and beaches.

>

I have no problem with these bans for public places, and I smoke cigars.

However, we now seem to be in some kind rights infringement territory now. If the master of the house (public administration) decrees that it is illegal to consume a legally licensed and purchased product, then the master needs to provide another venue for people to indulge their legal product. Think of bars for alcohol. So the beaches and parks need to be divided into zones of permitted and not permitted.

Callaway Epic Speed M10 Smoke
Taylor Made SIM 3W Titanium Diamana Limited
Taylor Made SIM 5W Titanium Diamana Limited
Taylor Made GAPR HI KBS 4,5,
HONMA TW747P 6-11 Vizard 85g
Cleveland 56* Smoke RTX Zipcore DG Spinner
Lajosi 808 Damascus, Callaway S2H2 Tuttle
Seed 01, Maxfli Tour

I don't mind it at all.

Used to be a pack and a half a day for almost twenty years, until I gave i tup COLD TURKEY for my kids.

If someone drinks a little or smoke weeds on the golf course, as long as they could hold it, I don't mind. It's the drunk and those air heads hits it all over the place that bothers me.

If anyone has the needs to get drunk or get stoned, there are better place to do it than on the golf course.

I played with some guys whom were scoring decent until they started a joint, offered me if I want to share and I quickly declined because I still want to finish my round of golf acting like a golfer.

Sure enough their game went down the toilet after they got happy, like two different golfers before and after.

Hard partying, loud music and some other behaviors best to be kept off the golf course.

> @Quasimoto said:

> > @myspinonit said:

> > > @Roadking2003 said:

> > > > @Curtdr said:

> > > > We know that second-hand smoke is NOT just an "unpleasant smell."

> > >

> > > **Actually it is harmless.** And quite pleasant to many people.

> > >

> > >

> > What? You are incorrect. Do a quick Google.

> > Here's one to save you looking it up: https://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/data_statistics/fact_sheets/secondhand_smoke/health_effects/index.htm

> > Second hand smoke from the burning end is MORE dangerous than it is for the person smoking. Third-hand smoke (residue left on furniture, steering wheels etc. etc.) is also a concern now.

> >

> > And... if you smell something it's the molecules you are smelling. Google that too if you want. That and the second-hand smoke health issue (and fire hazard) also covers your issue with cities like mine that ban smoking in "open spaces"---city Park property which includes municipal golf courses, city parks and beaches.

> >

>

> I have no problem with these bans for public places, and I smoke cigars.

> However, we now seem to be in some kind rights infringement territory now. If the master of the house (public administration) decrees that it is illegal to consume a legally licensed and purchased product, then the master needs to provide another venue for people to indulge their legal product. Think of bars for alcohol. So the beaches and parks need to be divided into zones of permitted and not permitted.

The problem with your comparison is that the act of consuming alcohol does not, in and of itself, have the ability to harm someone else. Smoking, on the other hand, does have the ability to harm someone else. This is one of the main reasons that most places in the US have bans on smoking in restaurants.

> @Quasimoto said:

> > @myspinonit said:

> > > @Roadking2003 said:

> > > > @Curtdr said:

> > > > We know that second-hand smoke is NOT just an "unpleasant smell."

> > >

> > > **Actually it is harmless.** And quite pleasant to many people.

> > >

> > >

> > What? You are incorrect. Do a quick Google.

> > Here's one to save you looking it up: https://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/data_statistics/fact_sheets/secondhand_smoke/health_effects/index.htm

> > Second hand smoke from the burning end is MORE dangerous than it is for the person smoking. Third-hand smoke (residue left on furniture, steering wheels etc. etc.) is also a concern now.

> >

> > And... if you smell something it's the molecules you are smelling. Google that too if you want. That and the second-hand smoke health issue (and fire hazard) also covers your issue with cities like mine that ban smoking in "open spaces"---city Park property which includes municipal golf courses, city parks and beaches.

> >

>

> I have no problem with these bans for public places, and I smoke cigars.

> However, we now seem to be in some kind rights infringement territory now. If the master of the house (public administration) decrees that it is illegal to consume a legally licensed and purchased product, then the master needs to provide another venue for people to indulge their legal product. Think of bars for alcohol. So the beaches and parks need to be divided into zones of permitted and not permitted.

There are smoke shops all over the place which include lounges and bars on the premises.

> @chippa13 said:

> Its funny how people think their right to smoke trumps my right to breathe clean, fresh air.

Come on.......No one, at any point, has said anything about taking away your right to breathe clean air........person A can easily smoke a cigarette on the course and not impact person B's rights or enjoyment of the game. It comes down to personal responsibility and being courteous of others. Just because someone chooses to exercise his rights, it does not automatically mean yours are taken away.

> > @chippa13 said:

> > Its funny how people think their right to smoke trumps my right to breathe clean, fresh air.

> Come on.......No one, at any point, has said anything about taking away your right to breathe clean air........person A can easily smoke a cigarette on the course and not impact person B's rights or enjoyment of the game. It comes down to personal responsibility and being courteous of others. Just because someone chooses to exercise his rights, it does not automatically mean yours are taken away.

This^^^

Yeah a smoker should not light up right next to a person who doesn't want it, but if you're on the other side of the fairway or waiting on the tees and they step 20-30 ft away from the box this isn't an issue. It's called compromise it makes the world go round