Smoking while playing

I know people who do at least 3 of the 4 during a round.... the only thing that really gets me is cigar smoke, it just seems to linger in a big cloud. I don't really know anyone that vapes the nicotine vape that looks like a fog machine, just the mj. Occasionally we clam bake in the covered cart, but yeah, playing with strangers/randoms? I generally try to be somewhat courteous.

I always crack up at clam baking, hahaha, we called it hot boxing.

However, as someone who has always been subject to random drug testing in my career, and can lost my job on the spot for a positive test, I don't want to be anywhere near a MJ smoker on the course. I know, the risk of getting a positive test from secondhand exposure is pretty nil,

It's not pretty nil, it is literally zero chance aka not going to happen ever.

Mostly PING clubs, with TaylorMade woods.

I encourage my playing partners to smoke weed, especially if we have some money at stake. Weed is legal here, so it's no big deal, but tokin' doesn't help my game.

Callaway Mavrik 10.5* HZRDS 6.0 55g
Cobra BioCell 3w PXi S
Callaway Mavrik 20* Catalyst 65 5.5

Callaway Mavrik 5h 23* Catalyst 65 5.5
Titleist DCI 962 2-PW DG S300
Cleveland 588 54*, Callaway PM Grind 58*
Cameron Mil-Spec 

None of it... tobacco both smoke and smokeless, alcohol, MJ neither indica or sativa, caffeine, qualudes, cocaine, heroin, methamphetamines, yerba mate, LSD, benzos, NONE OF IT HELPS. I'm willing to try anything ;)

In all honesty, a modest quantity of MJ might help my full swing, but my short game and putting goes to the birds. Both hands feel like a brick. Bad news for chipping and lag putting fo' sho.

Edited to add: In order to be fair to the ganj I don't drink and play either. I'll have a beer an hour or one cocktail, but sometimes if the bartender thinks she's hooking me up with a triple bloody in the morning or a strong drink at the turn you can see it on my scorecard. I've always been a light weight and actually work hard to keep it that way as I age.

Big miss for me is to lean out on my toes to "kill it" going after a shot and I hit it fat. That gets exponentially worse with alcohol.

Crap, I just realized I am taking my first trip to California. I have never been to a dispensary, might have to see what this is all about. I hate drinking, but used to partake back a few years.

when you come to California and go to the dispensary, get a weed pen. Most everyone who smokes uses one.

No one really carries ounces and a bong in their tie dye bag pack anymore.

not everyone smokes here either, but it might seem that way.

Ahhh chewing tobacco, dj, berger and the duff do that don't they?

In the US, anywhere I have ever been anyway, there is even a difference between what we would call "chewing tobacco" versus "dip". You dip snuff or "moist tobacco" or smokeless tobacco. It comes in a small plastic container, a "can."

Chewing tobacco, "chew," comes in a foil lined paper pouch or a twist. You use a bigger wad of it and actually chew it or work it with your teeth. It is longer, courser cuts of tobacco leaf. Dip is usually pretty fine cuts.

Dip = skoal, copenhagen

Chew = Levi Garret, Redman, Beech Nut

For what its worth, I never got into the stuff. I was around it alot playing baseball though. I do keep a pouch of chew around though as a little bit of it made into a poultice will help with bee stings.

Standing on the first tee on a clear spring day. Birds chirping, lemon blue sky, newly mowed grass. Then you smell the twosome you’re playing with way before you see them. Nothing like the smell of cigarette smoke in the morning.

Ping G400 Max Ventus Blue TR

Ping G425 Tensi Orange 3W

Ping G30 5W Tensi Orange 5W

Ping G425 Hybrid Tensi Orange 4H

Ping G425 5-S Recoil 780 ES Smacwrap F4

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs

After cancer I do not smoke cigars anymore, but I did fondly on the course. My group all smoked cigars,, I would not light up with others outside of my group. I don’t care about anything you smoke as long I don’t need to inhale it, weed included. I do usually tell guys who smoke weed that I’m DEA to see the reaction. Dip and chew is fine provided you don’t spit on the green. I’d consider that right up there with the sunflower seed jerk.

Callaway Paradyn 9°
Ping G 3 W
Ping G 5W
Ping g400 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX 923 hot metal HL 5-GW
Vokey 50-08 sm8
Vokey 56-08 sm9
Spider Tour 34”

I know for a fact that every smoker wishes two things:

1. They wish they never started.

2. They wish they could quit with no effort.

Yeah, neither of those are really facts.

When I smoked, I smoked because I enjoyed it. I enjoyed it from the first one I had, and never thought to myself (or out loud) "I wish I never started". When I no longer enjoyed it, I quit doing it. Once you are ready to quit, quitting is quite easy. You just stop doing it. Problem is, those that wish they could quit with no effort, but somehow cant, arent really ready to quit.

For reference, I smoked for a little over 20 years.

• Like 1

When I smoked, I smoked because I enjoyed it. I enjoyed it from the first one I had, and never thought to myself (or out loud) "I wish I never started".

Of course you thought you enjoyed it. You were addicted.

Congratulations on quitting!

Addictive drugs exhibit two important characteristics

They cause effects within the brain which are pleasant

or rewarding, and which reinforce self-administration

of the drug in both experimental animals and human

beings

Following a period of chronic exposure, withdrawal of

the drug may cause an abstinence syndrome which an

addict may also seek to avoid by continuing to take the

drug.

X________________________________ Sign Here

The only time I can smoke a pipe is on the golf course, or in my older car. Every other place is verboten, even home. I have no objection to anyone smoking, but even I look upon it as doing something wrong, and feel guilty about it.

I'm a one pipe a round guy, so I doubt it's as harmful as a chain smoker. But I can see myself quitting for good, due to negative connotations.

The days of Fred Astaire and Cary Grant, along with others, looking debonair while puffing on a pipe, are long gone, and never to return.

When I smoked, I smoked because I enjoyed it. I enjoyed it from the first one I had, and never thought to myself (or out loud) "I wish I never started".

Of course you thought you enjoyed it. You were addicted.

Congratulations on quitting!

Addictive drugs exhibit two important characteristics

They cause effects within the brain which are pleasant

or rewarding, and which reinforce self-administration

of the drug in both experimental animals and human

beings

Following a period of chronic exposure, withdrawal of

the drug may cause an abstinence syndrome which an

addict may also seek to avoid by continuing to take the

drug.

There’s no sense in arguing with someone who thinks they’re the smartest person in the room. Go ahead and think what you please, I’ll know the truth. Your “facts” are indeed not facts, but if it makes you sleep better at night to believe them, that’s all you.

It can be argued that smoking is bad for you and causes a multitude of health issues but if you decide to continue to ingest harmful ( so the medical world tells us)products that is up to the individual to make that choice. I know of some courses that smoking is banned on the course so I guess the smoking crowd either avoids these courses or ignores the ban completely stating that no one can force them to not smoke. I don’t know if e-cigarettes or vaping is allowed instead on these courses but I don’t smoke so I can’t comment, mind you I did smoke and play with smokers but detest lazy people who chuck their butts on the ground.

The question is always asked of smokers why do you smoke? and the answer normally is because I like it but if they are not ready to quit then they won’t quit and my thinking is that the ingredients in cigarettes do have something in them that is addictive and as a smoker the familiar reaction to the cigarette is what keeps them smoking and it might 2 or 3 a day or 50 a day but at some stage the choice to stop smoking turns off the craving for the reaction of the cigarette.

Is this the same as addiction?

So...I'll fully admit that I enjoy a nice cigar on the course. I have a travel humidor, cutter, torch...and I normally walk so I can keep my distance from people. In fact...I even have one of those little cigar clips that I put on my ClicGear...so it can hold my cigar while I'm hitting my shot or putting. My wife will usually smoke a cigar as well...it's always a funny thing to see random guys reaction when my wife wheels her clubs with a beer in one hand and a cigar in the other.

Cigarettes...no bother to me. We're outdoors, it's legal...feel free...just clean up your cigarette butts.

Weed...personally...it's not my thing, but I honestly wonder if alcohol is more destructive than weed. If weed what someone wants to do, that's there choice. With that said...weed and golf...I feel a bit different. My only experience was a friend who had an addictive personality (more inclined to abuse gambling, alcohol, drugs). We played a lot of golf after he hit rock bottom and became sober. I enjoyed his company golfing and just hanging out...smart guy and very philosophical. When he moved to the PNW and came back home to visit after a year or so...we played golf at his Dad's club. Every other hole...he would disappear into the bushes with his make shift bong (an empty soda can) multiple times on the hole to take a hit. He asked me if it was okay at the beginning of the round...which I really didn't mind...I figured "to each their own", but after experiencing this the entire round, I pretty much concluded I would never see this guy again. And I haven't since that day. Given that's my experience, I'd prefer to avoid folks who smoke weed while golfing, but I'm not going to judge them if that's their thing.

most of the friends that i play with smoke cigarettes, vape, or weed (mostly from vape pens). It's really a non issue for me. I've never seen or played with anyone who dips... I'm actually more bothered by guys who take a piss break somewhere in the woods instead of waiting for a bathroom since there's no way to wash your hands after the deed is done

I'm actually more bothered by guys who take a piss break somewhere in the woods instead of waiting for a bathroom since there's no way to wash your hands after the deed is done

I’m guessing your under 50 and your prostate isn’t the size of a softball. Not saying I regularly use the bushes but I understand why some do. And you’re assuming people wash their hands after using a bathroom. Most don’t.

Ping G400 Max Ventus Blue TR

Ping G425 Tensi Orange 3W

Ping G30 5W Tensi Orange 5W

Ping G425 Hybrid Tensi Orange 4H

Ping G425 5-S Recoil 780 ES Smacwrap F4

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs

I used to smoke occasionally when I played, or had some drinks with friends. I never considered myself a "smoker" in that I would often go weeks or months without touching it. Although I did partake in smokeless tobacco frequently.

2 years ago I had heart surgery, not because of any clogged smoking related arteries, but because of a bad valve that was more of a genetic thing. Anyway since the surgery the smell of cigarette smoke makes me sick to my stomach, I tried smoking a cigar and it was just not enjoyable, although I like the smell of cigar smoke. In the end it is obviously a good thing I have zero desire to touch any of this stuff any longer, cigs, cigars, chew, whatever, I am 100% clean and I am happy about it, and feel better for it.

Anyhoo....I don't care what you do, just be courteous and clean.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

What I like is making game bets on the first tee with a semi-regular group.

I know that by hole 3 they will be smoking weed and their games will suffer for it - 90% of the time anyway.

I bug them that the weed is making me money and what do they do? Light up another one!

Callaway Epic Speed M10 Smoke
Taylor Made SIM 3W Titanium Diamana Limited
Taylor Made SIM 5W Titanium Diamana Limited
Taylor Made GAPR HI KBS 4,5,
HONMA TW747P 6-11 Vizard 85g
Cleveland 56* Smoke RTX Zipcore DG Spinner
Lajosi 808 Damascus, Callaway S2H2 Tuttle
Seed 01, Maxfli Tour

I'm actually more bothered by guys who take a piss break somewhere in the woods instead of waiting for a bathroom since there's no way to wash your hands after the deed is done

I’m guessing your under 50 and your prostate isn’t the size of a softball. Not saying I regularly use the bushes but I understand why some do. And you’re assuming people wash their hands after using a bathroom. Most don’t.

Years ago, I was able to shoot acorns off the next tree, now I'm happy to get it past my shoes...

X________________________________ Sign Here