G410 irons...took the leap

bamagolf

Anyone compare the G410 vs 2018 AP1?

I played a few rounds with a set of AP1s and would say they felt harsh (vs G25s). They still hit the ball high and relatively straight, so I would play them if I thought they were the best in terms of the actual shot quality.

Just wondering if the G410 is similar to 2018 AP1 feel vs the older Pings feel?

> @Chigolfer2 said:

> 3 KBS Tour in a row. I just demo'd the AWT this weekend. Wish they had a few more shafts to try. Anyone compare the AWT to the KBS Tour?

>

Yes, for me the AWT's finished last behind the graphite. But that means nothing. Many here love the awt's.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

> @Chigolfer2 said:

> 3 KBS Tour in a row. I just demo'd the AWT this weekend. Wish they had a few more shafts to try. Anyone compare the AWT to the KBS Tour?

>

I think they are a good fit for the iron. Take the ball flight down from the AWT but still have enough spin to hold greens. KBS Tour are like a Honda Accord to me...they are a good all around shaft in regard to spin, flight, feel but aren’t exceptional in any one area.

PING G410 LST 9° Ping Tour 65 S

PING Tisi Tec 14° Fairway Aldila 350 S

Cobra Aerojet Hybrid 19° KBS PGI S

PING iCrossover 22° Ping Tour 85 S

Mizuno JPX 923 Pro 5-G DG 105 S

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 52° DG Spinner 115

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 58° DG Spinner 115

Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2.5

Golf league tonight. Shot a 38 with a 3 putt from 15 feet. My golf partner who I've played with for 7 years said if I ever talk about getting some different irons he's going to slap me up alongside the head. :)

• Like 1

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

> @agolf1 said:

> Anyone compare the G410 vs 2018 AP1?

>

> I played a few rounds with a set of AP1s and would say they felt harsh (vs G25s). They still hit the ball high and relatively straight, so I would play them if I thought they were the best in terms of the actual shot quality.

>

> Just wondering if the G410 is similar to 2018 AP1 feel vs the older Pings feel?

So I went from the G700 irons last year. Demod a set of G410's and really liked the sound of them better than the G700's. Then demo'd a set of AP1 718 and they felt and sounded the best. The AP1's were noticeably less "clicky" sounding. I used to play the 714 AP1's before the Ping's. At the end of the demoing those 3 sets, the 718 AP1's are in my bag. Overall looks, performance, feel and sound of them won it for me.

> @lawsonman said:

> Golf league tonight. Shot a 38 with a 3 putt from 15 feet. My golf partner who I've played with for 7 years said if I ever talk about getting some different irons he's going to slap me up alongside the head. :)

You can’t go wrong with Ping G irons, they really do work. I fancy a new set of irons but then I wonder why, I hit mine really well 95% of the time. I reckon I may wait for the update after the next one before doing it, so the G430 or whatever it’ll be called.

> @"Little Ned" said:

> How’s everyone liking the AWT shafts?

>

> And how do they compare to Steelfiber i95 R? Or the Dynamic Gold 105’s)

AWTs are a great shaft and matched so well to the heads from 4 to S.

> @agolf1 said:

> Anyone compare the G410 vs 2018 AP1?

>

> I played a few rounds with a set of AP1s and would say they felt harsh (vs G25s). They still hit the ball high and relatively straight, so I would play them if I thought they were the best in terms of the actual shot quality.

>

> Just wondering if the G410 is similar to 2018 AP1 feel vs the older Pings feel?

I came from AP1 >G700 > G410. The AP1s felt soft/solid, except the 4&5 (hollow), G410 is solid and minus a few points on the soft scale when compared to the AP1s. However, when I use a Pro V1 or Chromesoft the G410 is a joy to feel! Could be that I have mostly played the Pings in 80/90°+ Florida weather. All that said, I would bag AP1s in a heart beat and be very happy as the performance in flight, forgiveness and distance has proven identical for me. Older pings were all harder feeling to me with lone exception of the great feel that G25s have and are the gold standard for G iron feel IMHO.

> @kuch said:

> So I went from the G700 irons last year. Demod a set of G410's and really liked the sound of them better than the G700's. Then demo'd a set of AP1 718 and they felt and sounded the best. The AP1's were noticeably less "clicky" sounding. I used to play the 714 AP1's before the Ping's. At the end of the demoing those 3 sets, the 718 AP1's are in my bag. Overall looks, performance, feel and sound of them won it for me.

> @Steelhead said:

> I came from AP1 >G700 > G410. The AP1s felt soft/solid, except the 4&5 (hollow), G410 is solid and minus a few points on the soft scale when compared to the AP1s. However, when I use a Pro V1 or Chromesoft the G410 is a joy to feel! Could be that I have mostly played the Pings in 80/90°+ Florida weather. All that said, I would bag AP1s in a heart beat and be very happy as the performance in flight, forgiveness and distance has proven identical for me. Older pings were all harder feeling to me with lone exception of the great feel that G25s have and are the gold standard for G iron feel IMHO.

Thank you to both. I haven't been able to hit the G410 (which some say feel harder) so I was trying to compare with the AP1 as a proxy (which I would say felt much harder than the G25s). I do slightly prefer the loft gaps on the G410s (6-iron to SW is 26.5 - 54 vs. 6-iron to W2 on AP1 is 27-53) although the difference isn't huge. The Pings also have a bit more offset, which I prefer.

Both are likely great clubs and at the end of the day I probably value high, straight (as can be) shots over feel. If given the AP1s I'd probably keep them but if I'm writing a check I'd probably get the Pings (biased towards Ping irons)....

• Like 1

> @Nessism said:

> AP1's need two gap wedges because the lofts are so strong and crushed together.

No more so than Ping G's. Ping G PW is 44/45, slightly weaker than AP-1's (818) 43. AP-1 offers 48 and 52 as "gaps". Ping only offers 1 gap, usually a "U" at about 50*, no ?

So AP-1 has an extra club in there for slightly more regular gaps. Ping goes about 44/50/54. 56* if you use a "normal" SW instead of the matching Ping.

• Like 1

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

> @Joelsim said:

> > @lawsonman said:

> > Golf league tonight. Shot a 38 with a 3 putt from 15 feet. My golf partner who I've played with for 7 years said if I ever talk about getting some different irons he's going to slap me up alongside the head. :)

>

> You can’t go wrong with Ping G irons, they really do work. I fancy a new set of irons but then I wonder why, I hit mine really well 95% of the time. I reckon I may wait for the update after the next one before doing it, so the G430 or whatever it’ll be called.

>

>

I've had G2's,G5's,G15's,G25's,G's, G400's and now the 410's. They are all great irons but none are as point and shoot as the 410's. Since getting them my handicap has gone from a 8 to a 6. I'm so glad I went back and hit them again because my initial opinion of them were not that good.

• Like 1

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

> @nsxguy said:

> > @Nessism said:

> > AP1's need two gap wedges because the lofts are so strong and crushed together.

>

> No more so than Ping G's. Ping G PW is 44/45, slightly weaker than AP-1's (818) 43. AP-1 offers 48 and 52 as "gaps". Ping only offers 1 gap, usually a "U" at about 50*, no ?

>

> So AP-1 has an extra club in there for slightly more regular gaps. Ping goes about 44/50/54. 56* if you use a "normal" SW instead of the matching Ping.

The G PW is 45 degrees, so 2 degrees weaker than the AP1 which is 43. Also, the loft spread is better on the Ping's and it takes less clubs to cover the same range of degrees.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

> @Nessism said:

> > @nsxguy said:

> > > @Nessism said:

> > > AP1's need two gap wedges because the lofts are so strong and crushed together.

> >

> > No more so than Ping G's. Ping G PW is 44/45, slightly weaker than AP-1's (818) 43. AP-1 offers 48 and 52 as "gaps". Ping only offers 1 gap, usually a "U" at about 50*, no ?

> >

> > So AP-1 has an extra club in there for slightly more regular gaps. Ping goes about 44/50/54. 56* if you use a "normal" SW instead of the matching Ping.

>

> The G PW is 45 degrees, so 2 degrees weaker than the AP1 which is 43. Also, the loft spread is better on the Ping's and it takes less clubs to cover the same range of degrees.

Not the "G" specifically" but the G series in general. e.g. the G410 is 44.5

I wouldn't say the loft spread is "better". If it "takes less clubs to cover the same gaps" that means the gaps are larger.

This particularly hits home with me. My G20 PW is 44. I had 50, 56 and 64 wedges and was constantly finding myself in between clubs with those 6* gaps. And since I really hate to try forcing an extra 1/2 club out of the shorter wedge, and hate even more trying to take 1/2 club "off" the longer wedges, I finally closed the gaps.

I dropped my 4 hybrid and went 48, 52, 56, 64 (after my 44* PW). So far it's been working very well.

• Like 1

Titleist Pro V1X

> @Nessism said:

> > @nsxguy said:

> > > @Nessism said:

> > > AP1's need two gap wedges because the lofts are so strong and crushed together.

> >

> > No more so than Ping G's. Ping G PW is 44/45, slightly weaker than AP-1's (818) 43. AP-1 offers 48 and 52 as "gaps". Ping only offers 1 gap, usually a "U" at about 50*, no ?

> >

> > So AP-1 has an extra club in there for slightly more regular gaps. Ping goes about 44/50/54. 56* if you use a "normal" SW instead of the matching Ping.

>

> The G PW is 45 degrees, so 2 degrees weaker than the AP1 which is 43. Also, the loft spread is better on the Ping's and it takes less clubs to cover the same range of degrees.

I don't think the overall lofts are that different. 5-iron to SW/W2 is 23.5 - 54 vs. 24 - 53. I think this is about the same/fine if you are willing to play the SW/W2 as a "12-iron."

I do think the Ping's have slightly better spacing in the middle irons. I can also see how the Pings are much better with the G410 PW at 44.5 (or 45 for most prior models) if you want to play a 50 degree specialty gap wedge and then 56/60. Or set PW+UW up to 49.5/50 and then 56/60. The AP1s will be a bit more difficult to go 43 PW to 50 degree specialty wedge or from 48 (W) to something in the mid-50s. 48 (W) to 54 would probably be doable if you are ok with the slightly stronger sand wedge.

> @nsxguy said:

> > @Nessism said:

> > > @nsxguy said:

> > > > @Nessism said:

> > > > AP1's need two gap wedges because the lofts are so strong and crushed together.

> > >

> > > No more so than Ping G's. Ping G PW is 44/45, slightly weaker than AP-1's (818) 43. AP-1 offers 48 and 52 as "gaps". Ping only offers 1 gap, usually a "U" at about 50*, no ?

> > >

> > > So AP-1 has an extra club in there for slightly more regular gaps. Ping goes about 44/50/54. 56* if you use a "normal" SW instead of the matching Ping.

> >

> > The G PW is 45 degrees, so 2 degrees weaker than the AP1 which is 43. Also, the loft spread is better on the Ping's and it takes less clubs to cover the same range of degrees.

>

> Not the "G" specifically" but the G series in general. e.g. the G410 is 44.5

>

> I wouldn't say the loft spread is "better". If it "takes less clubs to cover the same gaps" that means the gaps are larger.

>

> This particularly hits home with me. My G20 PW is 44. I had 50, 56 and 64 wedges and was constantly finding myself in between clubs with those 6* gaps. And since I really hate to try forcing an extra 1/2 club out of the shorter wedge, and hate even more trying to take 1/2 club "off" the longer wedges, I finally closed the gaps.

>

> I dropped my 4 hybrid and went 48, 52, 56, 64 (after my 44* PW). So far it's been working very well.

The G20 PW is 45 degrees so you must have bent it if you had 44 degrees. To me 45 degrees is good because that affords nice 5* gaps through the wedges which is excellent.

> @Nessism said:

> > @nsxguy said:

> > > @Nessism said:

> > > > @nsxguy said:

> > > > > @Nessism said:

> > > > > AP1's need two gap wedges because the lofts are so strong and crushed together.

> > > >

> > > > No more so than Ping G's. Ping G PW is 44/45, slightly weaker than AP-1's (818) 43. AP-1 offers 48 and 52 as "gaps". Ping only offers 1 gap, usually a "U" at about 50*, no ?

> > > >

> > > > So AP-1 has an extra club in there for slightly more regular gaps. Ping goes about 44/50/54. 56* if you use a "normal" SW instead of the matching Ping.

> > >

> > > The G PW is 45 degrees, so 2 degrees weaker than the AP1 which is 43. Also, the loft spread is better on the Ping's and it takes less clubs to cover the same range of degrees.

> >

> > Not the "G" specifically" but the G series in general. e.g. the G410 is 44.5

> >

> > I wouldn't say the loft spread is "better". If it "takes less clubs to cover the same gaps" that means the gaps are larger.

> >

> > This particularly hits home with me. My G20 PW is 44. I had 50, 56 and 64 wedges and was constantly finding myself in between clubs with those 6* gaps. And since I really hate to try forcing an extra 1/2 club out of the shorter wedge, and hate even more trying to take 1/2 club "off" the longer wedges, I finally closed the gaps.

> >

> > I dropped my 4 hybrid and went 48, 52, 56, 64 (after my 44* PW). So far it's been working very well.

>

> The G20 PW is 45 degrees so you must have bent it if you had 44 degrees. To me 45 degrees is good because that affords nice 5* gaps through the wedges which is excellent.

I believe you;re right. I seem to remember doing exactly that so I'd have even gaps between 44/50/56. But even 6* gaps didn't work for me. 4* gaps do, or at least appear to so far. 5* works for you. Different strokes and all,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,¯\\_(ツ)_/¯

Titleist Pro V1X

There’s always going to be a compromise on gapping as 12 spaces in the bag, excluding putter and driver, simply isn’t enough.

My Pings afford me about 12-15 yard gaps as follows:

4I strong 195

5I 185

6I 175

7I 160

8I 150

9I 135

PW 120

UW 105

That’s 8 out of the 12 without even starting on wedges, hybrids, utilities or woods. I usually drop the 5I as I don’t have much trouble taking a few yards off my 4I if necessary. Two wedges for when the ground is soft, plus a 64 if the ground is hard. I don’t bother with gapping below 85 as I don’t hit full shots with my wedges - my compromise is using my SW for just about all pitching beneath that yardage, and it’s reasonably easy to get a feel for how hard to hit it. The 64 is replaced with a longer club in winter to improve gapping at the top end and to give me another option when there’s no roll, the 58 is more than enough for soft greens 99 times out of 100.

I went with power spec on my 4I as I needed to in order to gap properly at the top and provide myself with a one club solution as a driving iron as and when required. I could easily carry 20 clubs if I was allowed to.

The actual lofts on the clubs don’t matter at all as long as the gapping is relatively consistent, but to think 12 yard gaps are achievable with 14 clubs is pie in the sky.

> @Joelsim said:

> There’s always going to be a compromise on gapping as 12 spaces in the bag, excluding putter and driver, simply isn’t enough.

>

> My Pings afford me about 12-15 yard gaps as follows:

>

> 4I strong 195

> 5I 185

> 6I 175

> 7I 160

> 8I 150

> 9I 135

> PW 120

> UW 105

>

> That’s 8 out of the 12 without even starting on wedges, hybrids, utilities or woods. I usually drop the 5I as I don’t have much trouble taking a few yards off my 4I if necessary. Two wedges for when the ground is soft, plus a 64 if the ground is hard. I don’t bother with gapping below 85 as I don’t hit full shots with my wedges - my compromise is using my SW for just about all pitching beneath that yardage, and it’s reasonably easy to get a feel for how hard to hit it. The 64 is replaced with a longer club in winter to improve gapping at the top end and to give me another option when there’s no roll, the 58 is more than enough for soft greens 99 times out of 100.

>

> I went with power spec on my 4I as I needed to in order to gap properly at the top and provide myself with a one club solution as a driving iron as and when required. I could easily carry 20 clubs if I was allowed to.

>

> The actual lofts on the clubs don’t matter at all as long as the gapping is relatively consistent, but to think 12 yard gaps are achievable with 14 clubs is pie in the sky.

I'd say at your distances/swing speed, you are in the minority complaining about needing more than 14 clubs to cover ~12 yard gaps. I play with 13 clubs and have pretty equal spacing for carry distances between 95 and 200 yards. Like you, a couple gaps are probably closer to 15 yards based on the loft gaps Ping irons have, but I don't think this extra 3 yards is a big deal vs. an ideal 12 yards. I could add a 3 wood as another tee club or another lofted wedge depending on conditions, but I don't really need it now.

You seem to have 2 hybrids that are essentially the same loft as your 4-iron and 5-iron. I'd say that's causing more issue with club count than iron gaps. I'm not against a 64 if used correctly, but why not just combine the 58 and 64 into a 60 or 62 and use one club all the time (if there are constraints in other places)?

> @agolf1 said:

> > @Joelsim said:

> > There’s always going to be a compromise on gapping as 12 spaces in the bag, excluding putter and driver, simply isn’t enough.

> >

> > My Pings afford me about 12-15 yard gaps as follows:

> >

> > 4I strong 195

> > 5I 185

> > 6I 175

> > 7I 160

> > 8I 150

> > 9I 135

> > PW 120

> > UW 105

> >

> > That’s 8 out of the 12 without even starting on wedges, hybrids, utilities or woods. I usually drop the 5I as I don’t have much trouble taking a few yards off my 4I if necessary. Two wedges for when the ground is soft, plus a 64 if the ground is hard. I don’t bother with gapping below 85 as I don’t hit full shots with my wedges - my compromise is using my SW for just about all pitching beneath that yardage, and it’s reasonably easy to get a feel for how hard to hit it. The 64 is replaced with a longer club in winter to improve gapping at the top end and to give me another option when there’s no roll, the 58 is more than enough for soft greens 99 times out of 100.

> >

> > I went with power spec on my 4I as I needed to in order to gap properly at the top and provide myself with a one club solution as a driving iron as and when required. I could easily carry 20 clubs if I was allowed to.

> >

> > The actual lofts on the clubs don’t matter at all as long as the gapping is relatively consistent, but to think 12 yard gaps are achievable with 14 clubs is pie in the sky.

> I'd say at your distances/swing speed, you are in the minority complaining about needing more than 14 clubs to cover ~12 yard gaps. I play with 13 clubs and have pretty equal spacing for carry distances between 95 and 200 yards. Like you, a couple gaps are probably closer to 15 yards based on the loft gaps Ping irons have, but I don't think this extra 3 yards is a big deal vs. an ideal 12 yards. I could add a 3 wood as another tee club or another lofted wedge depending on conditions, but I don't really need it now.

>

> You seem to have 2 hybrids that are essentially the same loft as your 4-iron and 5-iron. I'd say that's causing more issue with club count than iron gaps. I'm not against a 64 if used correctly, but why not just combine the 58 and 64 into a 60 or 62 and use one club all the time (if there are constraints in other places)?

As I said, I don’t need the 64* much of the year. Also, I’m not complaining, merely suggesting that the loft/number that’s printed on the club isn’t important.

My 19* hybrid goes 230-240 yards, so 30-40 yards further than my 19* 4I. I rarely hit the green from that distance anyway so that’s often a club that misses out on selection. Sometimes carry it in winter, but will probably sell.

> @Joelsim said:

> > @agolf1 said:

> > > @Joelsim said:

> > > There’s always going to be a compromise on gapping as 12 spaces in the bag, excluding putter and driver, simply isn’t enough.

> > >

> > > My Pings afford me about 12-15 yard gaps as follows:

> > >

> > > 4I strong 195

> > > 5I 185

> > > 6I 175

> > > 7I 160

> > > 8I 150

> > > 9I 135

> > > PW 120

> > > UW 105

> > >

> > > That’s 8 out of the 12 without even starting on wedges, hybrids, utilities or woods. I usually drop the 5I as I don’t have much trouble taking a few yards off my 4I if necessary. Two wedges for when the ground is soft, plus a 64 if the ground is hard. I don’t bother with gapping below 85 as I don’t hit full shots with my wedges - my compromise is using my SW for just about all pitching beneath that yardage, and it’s reasonably easy to get a feel for how hard to hit it. The 64 is replaced with a longer club in winter to improve gapping at the top end and to give me another option when there’s no roll, the 58 is more than enough for soft greens 99 times out of 100.

> > >

> > > I went with power spec on my 4I as I needed to in order to gap properly at the top and provide myself with a one club solution as a driving iron as and when required. I could easily carry 20 clubs if I was allowed to.

> > >

> > > The actual lofts on the clubs don’t matter at all as long as the gapping is relatively consistent, but to think 12 yard gaps are achievable with 14 clubs is pie in the sky.

> > I'd say at your distances/swing speed, you are in the minority complaining about needing more than 14 clubs to cover ~12 yard gaps. I play with 13 clubs and have pretty equal spacing for carry distances between 95 and 200 yards. Like you, a couple gaps are probably closer to 15 yards based on the loft gaps Ping irons have, but I don't think this extra 3 yards is a big deal vs. an ideal 12 yards. I could add a 3 wood as another tee club or another lofted wedge depending on conditions, but I don't really need it now.

> >

> > You seem to have 2 hybrids that are essentially the same loft as your 4-iron and 5-iron. I'd say that's causing more issue with club count than iron gaps. I'm not against a 64 if used correctly, but why not just combine the 58 and 64 into a 60 or 62 and use one club all the time (if there are constraints in other places)?

>

> As I said, I don’t need the 64* much of the year. Also, I’m not complaining, merely suggesting that the loft/number that’s printed on the club isn’t important.

>

> My 19* hybrid goes 230-240 yards, so 30-40 yards further than my 19* 4I. I rarely hit the green from that distance anyway so that’s often a club that misses out on selection. Sometimes carry it in winter, but will probably sell.

>

Gotcha, apologies. I did see that you don't need the 64 in the winter. I guess I was incorrectly assuming the hybrid distances were much closer to the iron distances of comparable loft.

G25: 4-UW; 23-50* (8 clubs)

G410: 5-PW; 23.5-49.5* (7 clubs)

To my way of thinking the 410's are on the ragged edge of the acceptable strong loft window. Comparing with the G25 it's mostly in the longer irons where the difference lays. Ping has also increased shaft length on these same longer irons too, so it's almost like the 410 5 iron (for example) plays like a strong lofted 4.5. I'd rather have it this way than to have the PW stronger than it is now though.

Basically, they are covering the same loft range but while using one less club. When rebuilding my set I weakened the longer irons a little but in the end I've been playing 13 clubs lately because of the wide loft spread.

> @Nessism said:

> G25: 4-UW; 23-50* (8 clubs)

> G410: 5-PW; 23.5-49.5* (7 clubs)

>

> To my way of thinking the 410's are on the ragged edge of the acceptable strong loft window. Comparing with the G25 it's mostly in the longer irons where the difference lays. Ping has also increased shaft length on these same longer irons too, so it's almost like the 410 5 iron (for example) plays like a strong lofted 4.5. I'd rather have it this way than to have the PW stronger than it is now though.

> Basically, they are covering the same loft range but while using one less club. When rebuilding my set I weakened the longer irons a little but in the end I've been playing 13 clubs lately because of the wide loft spread.

I think the above is the biggest deficiency of the G25s. I think 3 degrees between the 4-5-6-7 is too tight. The 9-to-8 could also probably be 5 degrees. This is always one reason why I find it odd that the G25s are so much more popular than the G30s...

> @kuch said:

> > @agolf1 said:

> > Anyone compare the G410 vs 2018 AP1?

> >

> > I played a few rounds with a set of AP1s and would say they felt harsh (vs G25s). They still hit the ball high and relatively straight, so I would play them if I thought they were the best in terms of the actual shot quality.

> >

> > Just wondering if the G410 is similar to 2018 AP1 feel vs the older Pings feel?

>

> So I went from the G700 irons last year. Demod a set of G410's and really liked the sound of them better than the G700's. Then demo'd a set of AP1 718 and they felt and sounded the best. The AP1's were noticeably less "clicky" sounding. I used to play the 714 AP1's before the Ping's. At the end of the demoing those 3 sets, the 718 AP1's are in my bag. Overall looks, performance, feel and sound of them won it for me.

I did the exact same thing. Bought G700's at the end of last year knowing full well that the sound was different but I assumed I would get used to it. Well - after about 15 rounds and many range sessions I came to the conclusion that I can't get past the hollow sound from the G700's. I demoed the G410's and was not blown away - plus I despise colour in an iron - too much red. I then demoed the AP1's - checked all the right boxes and bought them. The G700's perform fantastic and the G410's feel and sound much better than the 700's but the AP1's (for me) were a better combination of the two.

• Like 2

> @oiler45 said:

> I did the exact same thing. Bought G700's at the end of last year knowing full well that the sound was different but I assumed I would get used to it. Well - after about 15 rounds and many range sessions I came to the conclusion that I can't get past the hollow sound from the G700's. I demoed the G410's and was not blown away - plus I despise colour in an iron - too much red. I then demoed the AP1's - checked all the right boxes and bought them. The G700's perform fantastic and the G410's feel and sound much better than the 700's but the AP1's (for me) were a better combination of the two.

Go ahead, make me miss my AP1s! :'( Hope the new T300s look better in person.

> @Joelsim said:

> > @"Marco Colo" said:

> > When you guys talk about distances are carry or with roll?

>

> In my case total, but unless it’s absolutely rock hard the irons are pretty consistent all year. Hybrids less so as I hit them lower.

>

Mine were carry. Roll with irons usually isn't much under normal green conditions. Hybrid/Fairway vary a lot more depending on the wind direction and strike quality (runs out more if not hit perfectly).

> @agolf1 said:

> > @Joelsim said:

> > > @"Marco Colo" said:

> > > When you guys talk about distances are carry or with roll?

> >

> > In my case total, but unless it’s absolutely rock hard the irons are pretty consistent all year. Hybrids less so as I hit them lower.

> >

> Mine were carry. Roll with irons usually isn't much under normal green conditions. Hybrid/Fairway vary a lot more depending on the wind direction and strike quality (runs out more if not hit perfectly).

Of course you're right. What good is carry PLUS roll with iron distances ? LOL

Titleist Pro V1X