Why don't people take lessons ?

J2putts

For me it's cost, most guys are $100/hr some guys are $200/hr or more which is insane btw. A lot of them only sell in bundles so those are usually $500 to $1000. The $100/hr isn't bad but just one session isn't going to do a whole lot and I can't drop $500-1k right now.

The next is the coaches themselves, before this I was a high level athlete in another sport. I've worked with a lot of coaches and can tell how I'll get along with a coach from communication and how they present themselves. When I email a coach to see their rates because no one posts them I'll add in a few questions and more about what I'm looking to achieve.

Majority of responses were "my hourly rate is x/hr, let me know if you want to set up a lesson". Yeah that's not gonna fly, take 5min to write out a decent email. Only 1 answered all my questions and asked for other details, gave him a call and I'll probably work with him come spring cause now I can't spend money on a bundle deal.

There are more reasons like time, location, travel, etc but the main one is obviously cost and how the coach presents themselves.

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How many people have time and money? You have kids, you're hauling them around ,you might get a day to yourself, you gonna take a lesson or play? I'm playing. I'm now at the age where we're dealing with aging parents on both sides. I have one day to myself and I'm going to play in these tournaments that are like a league, but individual one day tournaments.

I retire in May and hope to be able to practice and play more and lessons may be in the works.

For me it's cost, most guys are $100/hr some guys are $200/hr or more which is insane btw. A lot of them only sell in bundles so those are usually $500 to $1000. The $100/hr isn't bad but just one session isn't going to do a whole lot and I can't drop $500-1k right now.

The next is the coaches themselves, before this I was a high level athlete in another sport. I've worked with a lot of coaches and can tell how I'll get along with a coach from communication and how they present themselves. When I email a coach to see their rates because no one posts them I'll add in a few questions and more about what I'm looking to achieve.

Majority of responses were "my hourly rate is x/hr, let me know if you want to set up a lesson". Yeah that's not gonna fly, take 5min to write out a decent email. Only 1 answered all my questions and asked for other details, gave him a call and I'll probably work with him come spring cause now I can't spend money on a bundle deal.

There are more reasons like time, location, travel, etc but the main one is obviously cost and how the coach presents themselves.

anyone who is looking for you to commit to a bundle before you've had 1 lesson is a scammer

How many people have time and money? You have kids, you're hauling them around ,you might get a day to yourself, you gonna take a lesson or play? I'm playing. I'm now at the age where we're dealing with aging parents on both sides. I have one day to myself and I'm going to play in these tournaments that are like a league, but individual one day tournaments.

I retire in May and hope to be able to practice and play more and lessons may be in the works.

its an hour once a month, not very much time

anyone who is looking for you to commit to a bundle before you've had 1 lesson is a scammer

Maybe an hour once a month in the actual lesson but the hard work on the changes happens on the range after. If not, it’s wasted money on the lesson

I encourage all my friends who play golf to take lessons. I was a 10 handicapper after playing for 25 years. I couldn't get any better even though I was a member here and ate up all the print and video golf lessons I could find. Not until someone gave me free lessons at the PGA Superstore did I see a huge improvement. I never knew I had a super weak grip that was costing me yards and accuracy. I had to be physically shown how to better grip the club and swing. And it worked.

For some reason, almost no one I recommend getting even just a few lessons take me up on it. My former boss, a total golf nut, wouldn't even use the lessons I bought him. He's just "too busy."

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

Price isn't an excuse IMO. $1 a day = $365 which should equate to 1 lesson every 4 months which is a pretty good gapping IMO.

People don't take lessons because it's almost impossible to make themselves admit they are wrong on some level. Can easily make parallels to "weight loss". All mental baby.

I am taking 10 or so lessons over this winter (off) season.

I used to think I could fix my swing myself, and that it would be more meaningful and lasting if I did fix my swing myself. Over the past 3 years it finally dawned on me that I kept falling back into the same flawed pattern over and over again, no matter what changes I attempted. So I hired someone to supervise my attempts to improve. Half-way through I think it is working, and if it does, I will be posting more about it in the spring.

People don't take lessons because it's almost impossible to make themselves admit they are wrong on some level.

Maybe that's an American thing because I can honestly say I've never met another golfer that felt like that. Everyone seems to have some aspect of their game they aren't happy about and has no qualms admitting that. Two thirds of conversations I have on the golf course are about problems we all have with our games. Most people just seem fairly sanguine about it and don't care enough to pay for lessons but I've never met anyone that claimed to be a perfect golfer.

You'd have to be delusional to be a frequent golfer and think that nothing you do is ever wrong. If ever there was a hobby/sport that was good at crushing egos and bringing people down to Earth it's golf. Those that can't accept they have flaws walk away from the game.

Price isn't an excuse IMO. $1 a day = $365 which should equate to 1 lesson every 4 months which is a pretty good gapping IMO.

You may be correct when you rationalize it, but the sticker shock can be real when lessons are packaged.

People don't take lessons because it's almost impossible to make themselves admit they are wrong on some level. Can easily make parallels to "weight loss". All mental baby.

There's a difference between ignorance and ego. You're portraying it as ego, which I don't think makes sense. If I can make people longer and straighter off the tee, the majority of folks will thank me. See the post below:

I encourage all my friends who play golf to take lessons. I was a 10 handicapper after playing for 25 years. I couldn't get any better even though I was a member here and ate up all the print and video golf lessons I could find. Not until someone gave me free lessons at the PGA Superstore did I see a huge improvement. I never knew I had a super weak grip that was costing me yards and accuracy. I had to be physically shown how to better grip the club and swing. And it worked.

For some reason, almost no one I recommend getting even just a few lessons take me up on it. My former boss, a total golf nut, wouldn't even use the lessons I bought him. He's just "too busy."

I think it comes down to the two things mentioned above.

#1 - Most people have no clue what they're doing wrong. To me, that's just lack of awareness (aka ignorance). When shown their faults, they're open to fixing them.

#2 - Most people don't actually feel it's worthwhile to put in the effort. Golf scores just aren't that important to them. It's hard to imagine for someone who obsesses over their game, but the majority of players really don't care what they shoot.

TSR3 (Dr) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2 (3w / 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-P) (Nippon Modus3)

SM6 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Maltby PTM-5CS

I went to a golf facility this morning.

It was a 40 minute drive from my house, but when I called them in December and they told me an instructor would call me (and didn’t) I thought it best to go down and see them in person.

I think they have 5 instructors. All are busy.

I asked the guy in the shop if I could talk to an instructor about possibly taking lessons. His reply was:

“Here’s how it works... You give me your details and I write it down in this book and one of this instructors will call you at some point to book lessons”

My response: “But which one? How do I know they’ll be the right instructor for me?”

He looked at me like I was from another planet: “They’re all good”

Ask me if I gave them my details...

It was a 40 minute drive from my house, but when I called them in December and they told me an instructor would call me (and didn’t) I thought it best to go down and see them in person.

I asked the guy in the shop if I could talk to an instructor about possibly taking lessons. His reply was:

“Here’s how it works... You give me your details and I write it down in this book and one of this instructors will call you at some point to book lessons”

My response: “But which one? How do I know they’ll be the right instructor for me?”

thats the problem though. 99% of people have no idea what they're doing. elite coaches make people good really fast but there are just so few of them

In my experience, some teachers just aren't that good, and good teachers most often are often expensive. As another poster indicated, you have to commit to making changes outside of the time with your teacher. So if you don't have time to practice or play between lessons, then the best lessons won't be effective.

Also, most golfers are "casual" and don't take the game as seriously as we do on the forum. For some, golf is just a time to have fun with friends. If the focus is having fun and "improvement" isn't really the desired outcome, money spent on lessons could go towards playing actual golf.

TaylorMade 2017 M1 440 8.5° Driver == Project X HZRDUS Black 65 6.5
TaylorMade 2017 M2 Tour 15° FW == Project X HZRDUS Black 75 6.5
Titleist 816H2 19° Hybrid == Veylix Rome 988 S+
Miura 1957 Small Blade 4-PW Irons == TT Project X LZ 6.5
Titleist Vokey SM6 50°, 54°, 58° Custom Wedges == TT Project X LZ 6.5
Titleist Scotty Cameron "Cameron & Crown" M2 Putter
Nike RZN Tour Black Golf Balls

The one coach who I'll work with came highly recommended by members in a local forum I am in. He has the resume to back it up as well. He also gave me the name of another coach I can see if I want to pay per session. This guy seems as honest as they come.

Now some of the guys asking $200/hr I'd say is a scammer.

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

I know how you feel, and I used to feel the same way. However take a chance, and give them a chance. From their point of view , they do not know you and they are teaching on a course and the range all day. Their wife is texting them to pick up this or that on the way home, their boss is on them about lessons and running this or that tourney. Some dad to a junior is stopping them and asking how Johnny can get better. They are busy! Get a reference from someone on this forum or on reddit golf. Ask that person about how they are or take the plunge. It’s only $100 and you will probrably learn a few things .

Cost is important, but my biggest issue is availability. Couple of old school club pros at courses that have short ranges or are never open.. Might be able to tweak a grip or something and get you to hit it better on the range standing over your shoulder, but no real plan to improve. Would like at least enough technology for someone to say this is what you are doing, here is the gameplan drill whatever and go from there and actual be able to measure what is happening and see the problems and improvements. But that's probably 2hrs away at least. Scared to do online cause I just don't know if I could take an analysis and make the changes. Keep saying I'm going to take lessons this year, but am clueless in which direction to go. Also trying to fix my body in addition to my golf swing at the moment as well so who knows.

That's a very broad stroke to be painting over things. Think about the big picture: you're a teaching professional and for the rest of their life after taking a lesson from you here and there when people ask if they've taken any lessons their swing and their experience is going to be associated with your name. People who come in haphazardly aren't going to get much out of what you're showing them, and for better or for worse, they are going to be a representative for your brand. Reputation is everything, especially for instructors in smaller markets, and for good or bad what they send out onto the course is going to speak to their skill in teaching. Doesn't almost everything on offer have some kind of system setup that expects you to get a feel for it in a genuine way if you partake of it? Yes, package deals guarantee revenue for an instructor, but they also mean that they get to work with you over multiple sessions and have the chance to properly represent their teaching capabilities, for better for for worse.

As another person in the thread mentioned, it's an intelligent move to talk with potential instructors before giving them money, and to be fair many will give you some insight for free so that you can see how you connect, but selling packages is not in any way a scam. I can tell you that if I were teaching the exceptions for single lessons would be few and far between and likely only offered to players needing simple fixes or changes, not to new players and not to those who need to commit to focused work to improve. Selling packages might be a fly by night way of guaranteeing revenue for bad instructors, but it's not anything I take issue with from those who are serious about making sure that their students improve.

I have been teaching for many years and can’t bring myself to sell a package of lessons. How do I know how many lessons it’s going to get you where you want to be?

I could sell you six lessons and you get it and do the work in two. Now I have to find something to talk to you about for four more lessons or just watch you hit balls...that is a waste of time for both of us. If you are a beginning golfer, that is a different story.

In my opinion, the swing has not been taught the way it should be for many years. Hence the problem finding a teacher that can make it possible for the average player to understand what changes to make.

The golf organizations that train professionals are sometimes more interested in making sure they teach them how to run a tournament as they are in teaching them how to make the game more enjoyable for the players.

I cringe when I go to a course and hear some of the things being taught.

As a rule am players don’t take lessons. You see that any Saturday at any given golf course. I think all players want to score well, but the average Joe expects the miracle: same out to in path, uncontrollable hands and a motion completely out of sync that will help them shoot low 80s or high 70s.

And the context for lesson taking has never been more unfavourable: loads of loose data on you tube consumed by thousands of new amateur players that don’t understand the basics of the golf swing an de club plane and path.

And the ultimate ingredient there’s a total lack of is patience. So these days more than ever you always see or play with very bad players at clubs and courses. There is a strong belief that a new player can build a swing by themselves out of the dirt and the internet. Fact shows that only the few ones who care about improving and have the time and commitment to are the better players.

As a rule am players don’t take lessons. You see that any Saturday at any given golf course. I think all players want to score well, but the average Joe expects the miracle: same out to in path, uncontrollable hands and a motion completely out of sync that will help them shoot low 80s or high 70s.

And the context for lesson taking has never been more unfavourable: loads of loose data on you tube consumed by thousands of new amateur players that don’t understand the basics of the golf swing an de club plane and path.

And the ultimate ingredient there’s a total lack of is patience. So these days more than ever you always see or play with very bad players at clubs and courses. There is a strong belief that a new player can build a swing by themselves out of the dirt and the internet. Fact shows that only the few ones who care about improving and have the time and commitment to are the better players.

Post of the year. You've summed it up perfectly. Money, having fun etc can be factors but ultimately it's the "miracle" that the 99% are waiting for.

I've taken 6 or 7 lessons in my life, and every instructor has pointed out something totally different for me to work on in my swing. In most cases, the pros totally contradict each other with their advice on what I need to do. One pro had me firing my hips hard from the top to try to shallow my swing, while another had me slow them down. One told me to weaken my grip, and one had me strengthen it. One told me to swing back more inside, another had me swinging more upright. Needless to say, my experiences with the lessons weren't all that helpful and nothing stuck.

The sad thing is, if I'm ever on the range and get a chance to see these guys giving a lesson, they're always telling them the exact same things they told me. It's as if all the golf pros I've worked with only have one set of things they tell everybody, regardless of their unique swing, body type, and ability. Maybe I've just had incredibly bad luck with the guys I've taken lessons from, but my experience has jaded me quite a bit. I was close to a 15 for many years, and the only way I was able to get into the single digits (still very inconsistent, albeit) is through self diagnosing and figuring things out on my own. I'm sure a decent pro could bring my cap even lower, but where can I find one? And on a teacher's salary in California with a mortgage to pay, money is definitely a big factor for me.

I've taken 6 or 7 lessons in my life, and every instructor has pointed out something totally different for me to work on in my swing. In most cases, the pros totally contradict each other with their advice on what I need to do. One pro had me firing my hips hard from the top to try to shallow my swing, while another had me slow them down. One told me to weaken my grip, and one had me strengthen it. One told me to swing back more inside, another had me swinging more upright. Needless to say, my experiences with the lessons weren't all that helpful and nothing stuck.

The sad thing is, if I'm ever on the range and get a chance to see these guys giving a lesson, they're always telling them the exact same things they told me. It's as if all the golf pros I've worked with only have one set of things they tell everybody, regardless of their unique swing, body type, and ability. Maybe I've just had incredibly bad luck with the guys I've taken lessons from, but my experience has jaded me quite a bit. I was close to a 15 for many years, and the only way I was able to get into the single digits (still very inconsistent, albeit) is through self diagnosing and figuring things out on my own. I'm sure a decent pro could bring my cap even lower, but where can I find one? And on a teacher's salary in California with a mortgage to pay, money is definitely a big factor for me.

sounds like a bunch of people who had no idea

Okay, huge proponent of playing lessons, but not when they are giving them on a Sunday morning at the height of the weekend rush and skipping back and forth between holes with no rhyme or reason. I was on pace to finish in 2 1/2 hours, and ran into this group of 3 multiple times on the back nine even after playing through. Go up to the clubhouse to let the starter know what’s going on and low and behold it was their PGA Pro giving a playing lesson. FML.

Driver: Titleist Tsi3 w/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow TX 6.0 
3 Wood: Cobra King Speedzone/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70

5 Wood: Callaway Mavrik Subzero/Aldila Rogue White 70
Long Irons (4-6): Wilson D7 Forged/DG120TI
Short Irons (7-P): Wilson Staff Model Blade/DG120TI

Wedges (50/54/58): Callaway Jaws MD5 w/TI S200
Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
Ball: Titleist Left Dash

IMHO, not taking lessons is a rational decision for many golfers. They have their swing ingrained and are going to be either unwilling or unable to make the changes that will make a difference. So no lessons (for these golfers) is the right answer.

My experience is mixed. I played maybe 10 handicap golf (no formal index) as a kid until around age 25 when life just prioritized golf out of my life. I returned to the game in the mid 50's age when I retired. I went to a golf school (Ritson-Sole school in Myrtle Beach) where I made some backswing changes and did a ton of work to get rid of my chicken wing tendencies. These were helpful and, along with the fact that I had a golf club in my hands 5 or 6 days per week and had a good work ethic, my index dropped down to the 4 to 5 range (at least in the summer).

I took occasional lessons but nothing really mattered other than that 3 day (half days, actually) golf school. For some reason starting in October of 2014 I just lost my ability to hit the ball consistently (more a ball contact issue vs a directional issue). I ended up signing up for a 5 lesson package from a local (pretty high end) pro. After the fourth lesson I realized that what I had achieved was the ability to make the exact same errors as I had been making but with a 'better' setup. I didn't even go to the last lesson.

About 9 months later (2015) I made golf a lesser priority in my life, play once a week with no practice, and my index struggles (usually fails) to stay in the single digits. And quite frankly I think that I would be better off going back to my old "inferior" setup.

FWIW. DOB 1949 (no health problems - maybe 1 club shorter than 10 years ago), BTW.

dave

That's a very broad stroke to be painting over things. Think about the big picture: you're a teaching professional and for the rest of their life after taking a lesson from you here and there when people ask if they've taken any lessons their swing and their experience is going to be associated with your name. People who come in haphazardly aren't going to get much out of what you're showing them, and for better or for worse, they are going to be a representative for your brand. Reputation is everything, especially for instructors in smaller markets, and for good or bad what they send out onto the course is going to speak to their skill in teaching. Doesn't almost everything on offer have some kind of system setup that expects you to get a feel for it in a genuine way if you partake of it? Yes, package deals guarantee revenue for an instructor, but they also mean that they get to work with you over multiple sessions and have the chance to properly represent their teaching capabilities, for better for for worse.

As another person in the thread mentioned, it's an intelligent move to talk with potential instructors before giving them money, and to be fair many will give you some insight for free so that you can see how you connect, but selling packages is not in any way a scam. I can tell you that if I were teaching the exceptions for single lessons would be few and far between and likely only offered to players needing simple fixes or changes, not to new players and not to those who need to commit to focused work to improve. Selling packages might be a fly by night way of guaranteeing revenue for bad instructors, but it's not anything I take issue with from those who are serious about making sure that their students improve.

if you can't make the player better in one lesson you don't know what you're doing. doesn't mean it's going to be perfect but every single time I've had a lesson with someone who knew what they were doing, I was absolutely better and had a clear idea what I needed to work on to continue to improve

Obviously in this situation you run like hell. lol

3/4 of those YouTube guys has no idea what they are doing . After going to an instructor I’m actually scared of YouTube . I’ve learned more from podcasts than YouTube .

Crossfield is entertaining, that said.

and I don't buy the whole " the player represents the coach " justification for requiring package deals. it should only take 1 lesson to get better. if 1 lesson can't properly represent your teaching capabilities then you don't have any.
If the player refuses to listen to what's been said and shown to them then one lesson is useless. There are already examples in this thread of people talking about others going right back to what they know, that's exactly what's common. One lesson will fix people who make a focused effort to implement the changes and I'm sorry but most people just aren't going to take the steps to do that. There's not a single study favoring the view that most golfers can be shown something once and ingrain it or that most people have the discipline to take on those changes on their own without proper reinforcement. Even pros looking for a fix don't call it one and done, so let's not pretend like a weekend golfer is going to visit a pro once, write down/listen to everything that they need to, and take it all to heart as they should.

Regardless on if you're part of the outlying 2% of people who go from bad habits to a magic fix in one lesson most people won't, packages aren't a scam, and it's closed-minded to try and portray them that way.

and I don't buy the whole " the player represents the coach " justification for requiring package deals. it should only take 1 lesson to get better. if 1 lesson can't properly represent your teaching capabilities then you don't have any.
If the player refuses to listen to what's been said and shown to them then one lesson is useless. There are already examples in this thread of people talking about others going right back to what they know, that's exactly what's common. One lesson will fix people who make a focused effort to implement the changes and I'm sorry but most people just aren't going to take the steps to do that. There's not a single study favoring the view that most golfers can be shown something once and ingrain it or that most people have the discipline to take on those changes on their own without proper reinforcement. Even pros looking for a fix don't call it one and done, so let's not pretend like a weekend golfer is going to visit a pro once, write down/listen to everything that they need to, and take it all to heart as they should.

Regardless on if you're part of the outlying 2% of people who go from bad habits to a magic fix in one lesson most people won't, packages aren't a scam, and it's closed-minded to try and portray them that way.

that's because 98 % of coaches suck and cant even identify what the bad habit is. it won't be perfect after 1 lesson but it's going to be way better. I never said you need one lesson and you're done, just that if the person knows what they're doing, you should see very clear improvements in results. that doesn't mean you can do it every time or that even most of the time, but you should see positives from day 0

packages are a scam. if an instructor was confident in their ability they'd know the player is going to see improvement and pursue another lesson. all of these contracts in any industry are an effort to keep people locked in and not leave, same as your cell phone, your gym, etc.

if the player refuses to listen to what the coach is saying, any lesson is useless. another lesson doesn't magically fix that process. frankly good golf instructors are rare enough that if I was one and I knew the student wasn't trying I probably wouldn't be interested in teaching them. what is the point? waste of both of your times.