Why don't people take lessons ?

J2putts

If you play only weekends, are cool with hitting your current score, don’t compete, are out there for fun and don’t want to get better, then I’ll absolutely tell you to not get a lesson. I’ll go ahead and say it’ll be a waste of money.

This game can be recreational and insanely competitive, like most things in life. Hell, yoga is supposed to be relaxing and self enriching...there are international Competitions on that s***.

I guess, just do you. If you sick and wanna continue to suck then keep walking the beat.

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me it's cost, most guys are $100/hr some guys are $200/hr or more which is insane btw. A lot of them only sell in bundles so those are usually $500 to $1000. The $100/hr isn't bad but just one session isn't going to do a whole lot and I can't drop $500-1k right now.

The next is the coaches themselves, before this I was a high level athlete in another sport. I've worked with a lot of coaches and can tell how I'll get along with a coach from communication and how they present themselves. When I email a coach to see their rates because no one posts them I'll add in a few questions and more about what I'm looking to achieve.

Majority of responses were "my hourly rate is x/hr, let me know if you want to set up a lesson". Yeah that's not gonna fly, take 5min to write out a decent email. Only 1 answered all my questions and asked for other details, gave him a call and I'll probably work with him come spring cause now I can't spend money on a bundle deal.

There are more reasons like time, location, travel, etc but the main one is obviously cost and how the coach presents themselves.

I know how you feel, and I used to feel the same way. However take a chance, and give them a chance. From their point of view , they do not know you and they are teaching on a course and the range all day. Their wife is texting them to pick up this or that on the way home, their boss is on them about lessons and running this or that tourney. Some dad to a junior is stopping them and asking how Johnny can get better. They are busy! Get a reference from someone on this forum or on reddit golf. Ask that person about how they are or take the plunge. It’s only $100 and you will probrably learn a few things .

Yeah I will was just looking for the right coach from my other posts. One coach that has a package deal I have a good feeling about and I said in another post if I didn't want to commit to the bundle deal now he gave me the name of another coach who I can pay lesson by lesson and that coach was on my list as well.

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

All golfers tinker with their swing at the range. Most work on some deficiency that showed up on the course the last time they played. Then they go play and shoot whatever they shoot and say to themselves, "I think I'm doing X instead of Y". Now they've got something to think about the next time they go to the range. They repeat this throughout the season.

Very few permanently improve, but the advice is free, so they're good with it.

Just had a lesson from my instructor John Hobbins in NYC. As usual my issues pretty much have to do with the basics. In this case my ball flight was low, left with a fade. My clubface at address was closed at least 10 degrees. He put one of those magnetic devices on my iron that has a direction rod on it to show me just how off line I was. Now the clubface looked way open to me but, viola; high draws returned.

I'm finally taking lessons. It is expensive (Golftec). That is why most people don't. But honestly, I am learning things about the golf swing that I just simply could not figure out - or execute - on my own - and lord knows I've watched every video out there. I understand the fundamentals of ball flight, face to path and swing plane etc... Anyone can hit a baseball and throw a football or do a slapshot in hockey - swing a tennis racquet with just a few simple instructions - and play the game. Golf is so awkward - so a** backward and so counter-intuitive and so precisely mechanical compared to normal sports that it demands lessons and retraining the brain and body. They say that 90% of people slice - because the reality is - that is the natural golf swing tendency for normal people who play other sports. The natural golf swing IS an over the top shoulder pulled slice. Most people have to learn how NOT to swing the golf club like they swing a club in every other sport. Learning the weight shift and the proper sequence - how the hands drop in the slot as the body rotates etc... None of that is natural or intuitive. That requires lessons.

Most instructors suck because they don’t really study the golf swing and how to apply it to help students improve. They are pretty much managing a golf course most the time. Any instructor who spends a decent amount of time studying with all the good information out there and learn how to apply it can be a good instructor as long as they have interpersonal skills.

I’ve taken lessons off & on for 20+ years. Some good ones, some bad. One guy tried to make me believe that it’s 100% mental/feel and didn’t want to teach mechanics. Then the other extreme where it was TOO mechanical.

My thoughts:

- After each lesson, it feels like an A-ha moment. I write down the tips, practice for a couple of weeks. But something happens later. Either I forget, overcompensate in another area, not applying it correctly w/o instant feedback while he’s watching, get frustrated, start a fishing expedition, etc

- My next lesson is fixing something else or going back to something he taught me 5 lessons ago that I forgot about . This becomes an endless expensive cycle like going to my chiropractor and podiatrist for the rest of my life

- Then there are those instructors I believe purposely try to confuse you because he knows you’re his cash cow if he makes you incrementally better to keep coming back but never truly fixes you wholly

- I’m at the point where at my age, given my budget & limited time/patience to seriously practice & get better, that maybe I leave lessons for aspiring juniors in my area and not taking away a lesson time slot from them

Epic Speed 9* (VeloCore Blue 6S)

SIM2 Ti 15* (Tour AD BB 6SR)

Apex UW 19* (MMT 70S)

0311XP Gen3 4-PW (Accra 90i S)

Vokey Forged 52 

Vokey Forged Black 58.12K 

HiToe 64* 
WHP 7CS

TP5x

I'm finally taking lessons. It is expensive (Golftec). That is why most people don't. But honestly, I am learning things about the golf swing that I just simply could not figure out - or execute - on my own - and lord knows I've watched every video out there. I understand the fundamentals of ball flight, face to path and swing plane etc... Anyone can hit a baseball and throw a football or do a slapshot in hockey - swing a tennis racquet with just a few simple instructions - and play the game. Golf is so awkward - so a** backward and so counter-intuitive and so precisely mechanical compared to normal sports that it demands lessons and retraining the brain and body. They say that 90% of people slice - because the reality is - that is the natural golf swing tendency for normal people who play other sports. The natural golf swing IS an over the top shoulder pulled slice. Most people have to learn how NOT to swing the golf club like they swing a club in every other sport. Learning the weight shift and the proper sequence - how the hands drop in the slot as the body rotates etc... None of that is natural or intuitive. That requires lessons.

Then why are good hockey players so good at golf? Hockey players have a natural ability at golf. I shouldn’t say natural ability as they work hard. However once they work hard at hockey it comes through to golf.

I think you are just making excuses , all those other sports work very hard at their sport. And the better you are at those sports then the better you will be at golf. Jim Furyk played about 4 sports in college and he is very skilled at golf too. Even beat Mickelson in the NCAA’s.

A lot of these guys are good Athletes first and go to golf because it is the only sport they can dominate and make a living.

Much of this thread has to do with who is a good teaching pro. What qualities do I see in a teacher that I look for? Maybe a more relevant question is what does a teaching professional see or desire in a student? As a student, I require someone who is knowledgable and is as focused in my swing as I am trying to be. Put the cell phone down, I'm your sole interest. I have questions, they may be trivial or they may be broad and give you the teacher insight into what's going on in my head. It's not necessarily your job to deal with my insecurities but it helps. Asking me what my goals are is a fair question, but chances are that I'm deep in a hole that my only immediate goal is to stop embarrassing myself on the course. Oh, and if you see me at the range practicing stop by for a second "hows it going". I know you're probably busy but it thoughtful.

Now, and I hope some teaching professionals can chime in, what do you look for in a good student. What can I as a student do to help you help me?

Ever hear the term "paralysis by analysis"?

I used to have a boss that I played quite a lot with. Every round, he'd have a "new swing", and would constantly pepper me with technical questions, like the position of my hands at certain points of the swing, swing path, etc. My responses were always along the lines of "Damn man, I have no idea, never thought about it, and certainly don't want to start now". I can't imagine playing with all that garbage in my head. My ONLY concerns are alignment, grip pressure and tempo.

Of course, that's just my experience. If examining all the technical aspects and positions helps you to get better, have at it.

D - Ping G430 LST 9-degree, Kai'li 60S
3W - Ping G400 Stretch 13-degree, Alta 65S

5W - Ping G425 17.5-degree, Alta 65S
Hy - Ping G400 22-degree, Alta 70S
5-U - Ping i230, Aerotech Steelfiber i95
54- Ping Glide Pro Forged
59- Ping Glide Pro Forged Eye toe
P - Scotty Cameron Teryllium T22 Fastback 1.5

I got stuck after trying to teach myself to hit a playable and consistent draw. Was shooting mid-80s up until then hitting a fade. Occasionally going lower. Never thought I would lose my swing but I did. Now I am taking lessons to get back on track. Paralysis... could be. All I know is that I lost all confidence over the ball and forgot my old swing. So I'm taking lessons because I am not capable of unfckuking myself at this point. Even though I played sports (baseball, football, hockey) pretty well and am fairly athletic as an adult.

I don't know any adults taking hockey or softball lessons - but I play on teams with them (not so much Hockey anymore... sadly.) and they can still crush it and play fairly well. Ask how many adults on a softball team need lessons to hit a softball out of the infield. It's zero. Sure they have hitting clinics for bombing the ball, but most athletic people that can hold a bat can hit the ball decently and play the game without making a mockery of things. Even kids can be taught to swing a bat and throw a football fairly well in about an hour or so. As long as they are strong enought to hold the weight they can generally do it. Golf is the only sport that I can think of - maybe other than tennis - that has an entire industry of professionals geared towards fixing people's swing issues. Why is that?

Much of this thread has to do with who is a good teaching pro. What qualities do I see in a teacher that I look for? Maybe a more relevant question is what does a teaching professional see or desire in a student? As a student, I require someone who is knowledgable and is as focused in my swing as I am trying to be. Put the cell phone down, I'm your sole interest. I have questions, they may be trivial or they may be broad and give you the teacher insight into what's going on in my head. It's not necessarily your job to deal with my insecurities but it helps. Asking me what my goals are is a fair question, but chances are that I'm deep in a hole that my only immediate goal is to stop embarrassing myself on the course. Oh, and if you see me at the range practicing stop by for a second "hows it going". I know you're probably busy but it thoughtful.

Now, and I hope some teaching professionals can chime in, what do you look for in a good student. What can I as a student do to help you help me?

Nice post!

I look for students that are open and ready to learn.

I look for students that don’t tell me what they do “wrong” or what some other pro has told or taught them.

I look for students that are willing to put time in on what we learn and I do mean “We”. I learn as much from my students as they do from me.

I look for students that are not so hard on themselves about learning. It’s something new and it’s going to take time and effort.

I look for feedback. I want honesty and dialogue. I will say things three different ways. If one doesn’t click, you have to tell me you don’t get it. There is always a solution.

Not sure if this helps, it’s my “interview” process.

I got stuck after trying to teach myself to hit a playable and consistent draw. Was shooting mid-80s up until then hitting a fade. Occasionally going lower. Never thought I would lose my swing but I did. Now I am taking lessons to get back on track. Paralysis... could be. All I know is that I lost all confidence over the ball and forgot my old swing. So I'm taking lessons because I am not capable of unfckuking myself at this point. Even though I played sports (baseball, football, hockey) pretty well and am fairly athletic as an adult.

I don't know any adults taking hockey or softball lessons - but I play on teams with them (not so much Hockey anymore... sadly.) and they can still crush it and play fairly well. Ask how many adults on a softball team need lessons to hit a softball out of the infield. It's zero. Sure they have hitting clinics for bombing the ball, but most athletic people that can hold a bat can hit the ball decently and play the game without making a mockery of things. Even kids can be taught to swing a bat and throw a football fairly well in about an hour or so. As long as they are strong enought to hold the weight they can generally do it. Golf is the only sport that I can think of - maybe other than tennis - that has an entire industry of professionals geared towards fixing people's swing issues. Why is that?

Football and Hockey have entire industry of coaches. The problem in your comparison is it’s not apples to apples. The analogy of teaching a kid to throw a football in an hour, is the same as a kid being able to hit a decent chip in an hour.

Go watch 4 year olds first T ball practice, they can’t throw it well at all. Being a good golfer is the equivalent of throwing an 89mph fastball. Just throwing a ball is the equivalent to shooting 120. You don’t need lessons to throw a ball or shoot 120, but to throw a ball at a high level most will absolutely need coaching.

Hitting slow pitch softball out of the infield is the equivalent of being able to hit a tennis ball with a golf club. The size of the ball, distance you’re required to hit it, and margin of error directionally make it not even comparable. Not to mention you’re allowed 2 strikes.

Football and Hockey have entire industry of coaches. The problem in your comparison is it's not apples to apples. The analogy of teaching a kid to throw a football in an hour, is the same as a kid being able to hit a decent chip in an hour.

Go watch 4 year olds first T ball practice, they can't throw it well at all. Being a good golfer is the equivalent of throwing an 89mph fastball. Just throwing a ball is the equivalent to shooting 120. You don't need lessons to throw a ball or shoot 120, but to throw a ball at a high level most will absolutely need coaching.

Hitting slow pitch softball out of the infield is the equivalent of being able to hit a tennis ball with a golf club. The size of the ball, distance you're required to hit it, and margin of error directionally make it not even comparable. Not to mention you're allowed 2 strikes.

Basketball has an industry of individual coaches/trainers working with players as well

What I have noticed in my experience, and I'm sure this isn't entirely across the board, is that a swing will change from pro to pro. One pro likes to see a swing this way, and another likes to see a swing that way. IMO it needs to be tailored to the players mobility and strengths. If they are not shallow, or cannot cup their wrists, then leave at that and focus the attention elsewhere. An ugly swing can be just as productive as a perfect one. Just like an old set of irons can be just as good as the new stuff. If you want lessons the player needs to know, and be upfront about what they want and always try to communicate the best you can. I hate hearing that a pro try's changing everything within a swing to make it look like player X on tour, and it just makes me think they are just trying to suck you in for more lessons. For certain golfers it might be the answer, for me no. That's why again you need to know what you want out of a lesson and be in control.

Driver: Stealth 2+ 10.5° TR Black 6S Tipped 1”.

Fairways: Stealth 2+ 16.5° 1K Black 75S Tipped 1”. 
Stealth + 19° 1K Black 85S Tipped 1.5”.

Irons: Mim Tours 3-PW Modus 115X 3C14 Protos.

WedgesRTX6 50, 54, 58 Modus 125S.

Putter: White Hot Versa Double Wide.

Ball: Z-Star Diamond.

Football and Hockey have entire industry of coaches. The problem in your comparison is it’s not apples to apples. The analogy of teaching a kid to throw a football in an hour, is the same as a kid being able to hit a decent chip in an hour.

Go watch 4 year olds first T ball practice, they can’t throw it well at all. Being a good golfer is the equivalent of throwing an 89mph fastball. Just throwing a ball is the equivalent to shooting 120. You don’t need lessons to throw a ball or shoot 120, but to throw a ball at a high level most will absolutely need coaching.

Hitting slow pitch softball out of the infield is the equivalent of being able to hit a tennis ball with a golf club. The size of the ball, distance you’re required to hit it, and margin of error directionally make it not even comparable. Not to mention you’re allowed 2 strikes.

Don't think lessons will get you to throw a 100 MPH fastball. It doesn't even take much instruction to throw strikes. Kids will throw a ball better at 12 then 4 if they just keep throwing. Kids could go from shooting 200 at age 4 to 80 at age 12 with very very little instruction.

Don't think lessons will get you to throw a 100 MPH fastball. It doesn't even take much instruction to throw strikes. Kids will throw a ball better at 12 then 4 if they just keep throwing. Kids could go from shooting 200 at age 4 to 80 at age 12 with very very little instruction.

I pitched until I was 14 and got a lot of instruction on how to pitch. And I didn’t say 100, I said 89 mph which is completely different. The guys who throw it well and have multiple pitches all received instruction on how to throw it

I take lessons to basically pick the pros brain. I go to guys that are good players and ask how they do certain things. How they hit it higher, play a fade, bunker shots, etc.

We all have flaws in our swings. All good pros can show you what you could do to be more efficient and consistent, they will explain it to you and you would agree with them, although doing it is another story.

Ive seen iteach many many times, he's good. Taken a gangkas online and several lessons from good local playing pros. All have their opinions on what they like to see and how they do it, I take it all under advisement and really enjoy getting their perspective. You know what Im going to book a online monty lesson soon.

I take lessons to basically pick the pros brain. I go to guys that are good players and ask how they do certain things. How they hit it higher, play a fade, bunker shots, etc.

We all have flaws in our swings. All good pros can show you what you could do to be more efficient and consistent, they will explain it to you and you would agree with them, although doing it is another story.

Ive seen iteach many many times, he's good. Taken a gangkas online and several lessons from good local playing pros. All have their opinions on what they like to see and how they do it, I take it all under advisement and really enjoy getting their perspective. You know what Im going to book a online monty lesson soon.

Great post!

Always good to remember that no matter who you're working with, it's not only still your swing but it's your journey towards playing better golf.

I bet a ton of guys go to an instructor expecting to get 'the answer' only to find that at best, the instructor had useful insight.

It's good to remind yourself that you're going to have to work just as hard. The instructor is really there to help make sure you're working on the right stuff!

TSR3 (Dr) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2 (3w / 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-P) (Nippon Modus3)

SM6 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Maltby PTM-5CS

I’ve taken lessons off & on for 20+ years. Some good ones, some bad. One guy tried to make me believe that it’s 100% mental/feel and didn’t want to teach mechanics. Then the other extreme where it was TOO mechanical.

My thoughts:

- After each lesson, it feels like an A-ha moment. I write down the tips, practice for a couple of weeks. But something happens later. Either I forget, overcompensate in another area, not applying it correctly w/o instant feedback while he’s watching, get frustrated, start a fishing expedition, etc

- My next lesson is fixing something else or going back to something he taught me 5 lessons ago that I forgot about . This becomes an endless expensive cycle like going to my chiropractor and podiatrist for the rest of my life

- Then there are those instructors I believe purposely try to confuse you because he knows you’re his cash cow if he makes you incrementally better to keep coming back but never truly fixes you wholly

- I’m at the point where at my age, given my budget & limited time/patience to seriously practice & get better, that maybe I leave lessons for aspiring juniors in my area and not taking away a lesson time slot from them

That’s such a good description of what lessons can sometimes feel like!

I LOVE to practice. I like practice as much as playing. Nothing better than hardcore purposeful practice and then seeing improvement on the course. I did the YT thing, the articles thing and the new equipment thing. Slo motion video's and talking to guys better than me to see what worked for them. I made very small improvements and I practiced my rear end off. I posted swing video's here and got suggestions. Then I took a trip to visit Dan...couple swings later I made more progress than I did in 5 years. Instant, easy and so gratifying. I got fitted, boom another good sized jump in the right direction. Worked all winter to groove the changes.

Some people are happy playing golf at the level they are at. I don't. When I stop getting better, I will probably quit. Taking lessons does not mean improvement. Taking lessons from the right person does especially if you are willing to drop your ego, listen to what they say and put in the time. It really is pretty easy.

See I'm the same way. One of the things that draws me to the game so much is that it is so hard. I also love to practice ...and I love seeing it slowly pay off . The feeling of playing really well and know it's not just a lucky round , that it's from working at it .

I pitched until I was 14 and got a lot of instruction on how to pitch. And I didn’t say 100, I said 89 mph which is completely different. The guys who throw it well and have multiple pitches all received instruction on how to throw it

What kind of instruction? I played high level baseball, and yes there was instruction but it was minimal through high school. Even in college it was more about keeping fundamentals in check.

What kind of instruction? I played high level baseball, and yes there was instruction but it was minimal through high school. Even in college it was more about keeping fundamentals in check.

Arm angle, grip placement, amount of rotation in wind up, and stride length. But had 5 pitches and threw well above normal speed for my size. Worked with several former MLB pitchers as a kid. If I hadn’t had instruction I would have just been mediocre

Interesting...guess some people need more instruction than others? Sounds like overkill to me. Fastball, changeup and decent curve. Changing arm angles can tip pitches. Surprised they went there.

Actually the opposite. Keeping arm angle constant while throwing different pitches. And for me it was more it consistently staying higher, to prevent injury. It worked well enough to be recruited by top programs before I quite to focus on golf only. I threw just below 80mph when I turned 13 at 5’3 112lbs. I didn’t need help to throw pretty good, I needed help to throw that hard without getting hurt while being that small

Interesting...guess some people need more instruction than others? Sounds like overkill to me. Fastball, changeup and decent curve. Changing arm angles can tip pitches. Surprised they went there.

Actually the opposite. Keeping arm angle constant while throwing different pitches. And for me it was more it consistently staying higher, to prevent injury. It worked well enough to be recruited by top programs before I quite to focus on golf only. I threw just below 80mph when I turned 13 at 5’3 112lbs. I didn’t need help to throw pretty good, I needed help to throw that hard without getting hurt while being that small

Five pitches under the age of 13?? Interesting. Never played in HS or college? Hmmm. I'll just end this.

I’m self taught and didn’t take up the game until I was in college but I have some highly accomplished players in my extended family and my dad’s parents loved the game. I have done a good bit of looking at my own swing on video and analyzing good swings on YT. I don’t want to waste money on some yahoo that really isn’t interested in understanding what my life goals are for competitive golf but is willing to fake it for a check. I don’t know how I’d get to the point where I could trust that they were good enough to not ruin what I’ve already done myself which is get to the level, on my own, where I’ve beaten my low digit handicap from 6800+ on a great course in tournament play.

I have a few things that I think a good instructor could help me with that would put me on a better path to my next tournament goal, which is to qualify for the USGA sr am in a few years, but I’ve lived in my local area for many years and don’t feel like there is anyone within a hundred miles that I’d trust to really work on my swing. I’m not sure I could trust someone to look at video and tell me anything more than I have already seen on video. I want someone to give me immediate feedback in a traditional lesson who can also give me really good insight into the root of the problems that I know I have. It would be an immediate deal killer for someone to either set about trying to get me to do something completely unnatural, because everything I’ve had success with so far has been rooted in following my own natural feel to develop solid consistent ball contact. I hit the ball very consistently with my irons. I’m a reasonably intelligent person as well. I hate to admit it but I’d have a hard time going full tilt adjustment with an instructor that I thought wouldn’t understand a word of Nietzsche or Kant, much less Darnell, Lodish and Baltimore or Stryer. So I’m stuck. It’s like the old “I’d never join a club that would have me” thing. I can’t afford the calibre of instructor I’d accept, and that calibre of instructor wouldn’t want to waste their time with me. So I’ll continue my lonely quest to be King of the local senior tournament players division of the royal clan of goat humpers.

I understand that you want an intelligent golf instructor, and you should. However, golf is about physical movement, not philosophy. A good golf instructor who is obsessed with what he does is going to focus on that and be very knowledgeable of that field, but probably much less so in philosophy. And an instructor that is a very knowledgeable about philosophy probably doesn't put enough time into researching and experimenting with physical movement.

The best instructors are really into golf. It is almost all they think about, and they love it.

Basically, not knowing or caring about philosophy does not mean that the instructor is less intelligent. They have just focused their effort, time, and thoughts in a different field.

But it is like everything else, you have to find the guy that really cares and obsesses over it, not the guy who is in it for the check and lifestyle.