Best player without a major?

buckeye440

Players that have held this title in the most recent past:

Sergio Garcia

Phil Mickelson

I vote Fowler. 100% Fowler. Currently, he has just about the same career numbers through a similar number of tournaments as both these guys had at the time of their first major wins. Only difference is the first major opened the flood gates for Mickelson, and Garcia has somewhat stalled out since his first major.

> @mwf0001 said:

> Players that have held this title in the most recent past:

>

> Sergio Garcia

> Phil Mickelson

>

> I vote Fowler. 100% Fowler. Currently, he has just about the same career numbers through a similar number of tournaments as both these guys had at the time of their first major wins. Only difference is the first major opened the flood gates for Mickelson, and Garcia has somewhat stalled out since his first major.

Phil had 22 wins before his first major, that is far from being similar to rickies 5

> @freeze16172002 said:

> > @mwf0001 said:

> > Players that have held this title in the most recent past:

> >

> > Sergio Garcia

> > Phil Mickelson

> >

> > I vote Fowler. 100% Fowler. Currently, he has just about the same career numbers through a similar number of tournaments as both these guys had at the time of their first major wins. Only difference is the first major opened the flood gates for Mickelson, and Garcia has somewhat stalled out since his first major.

>

> Phil had 22 wins before his first major, that is far from being similar to rickies 5

Yeah, there's no comparison between Rickie and those two except for endorsements. Bryson won more in a little over a year than Ricke won in a decade. Rahm and Xander have won in 3 years about as much as Rickie has in 10. If really don't see an argument for Rickie above any of the younger guys. The only argument is Rickie's high finishes but Xander is doing that too along with winning.

> @Cincy_Ken said:

> > @cdnglf said:

> > Rickie has 2 Euro Tour wins in events with fields stronger than many PGA tour events.

>

> If you include Euro tour Bryson and Rahm have 6 wins in less than half the time; and Fowler is still under 1 a year. Doesn't really change the argument.

The “less than half of the amount of time” argument is misleading. Rickie turned pro at a younger age. You’re also glossing over the difference in quality of wins.

> @freeze16172002 said:

> > @mwf0001 said:

> > Players that have held this title in the most recent past:

> >

> > Sergio Garcia

> > Phil Mickelson

> >

> > I vote Fowler. 100% Fowler. Currently, he has just about the same career numbers through a similar number of tournaments as both these guys had at the time of their first major wins. Only difference is the first major opened the flood gates for Mickelson, and Garcia has somewhat stalled out since his first major.

>

> Phil had 22 wins before his first major, that is far from being similar to rickies 5

My comment was in reference to performance in majors.

Garcia had double digit top 10s in majors when he finally won his 1st.

Phil also had double digit top 10s in majors when he finally won his 1st.

Rickie is right there with double digit top 10s in majors. As is Kuchar and Casey. And out of those three, I think Rickie is closer to the caliber of player of Garcia and Mickelson than Kuchar and Casey. My reasoning for saying that is that Mickelson and Garcia have been consistent forces in the golf world since the beginning of their careers. Same is true of Fowler in terms of consistency, whereas Kuchar and Casey have had times where they dropped way down in the world ranking and had to revamp their career to get back to the top of the game.

> @buckeye440 said:

> > @"Aviador Naval" said:

> > > @buckeye440 said:

> > > Who is best player on tour without a major with at least 20 attempts? Here is my list below of the best 6 with a chance to win one.

> > > * Rickie Fowler, 0-38

> > > * Matt Kuchar, 0-54

> > > * Paul Casey, 0-61

> > > * Hideki Matsuyama, 0-27

> > > * Marc Leishman, 0-31

> > > * Gary Woodland, 0-30

> >

> > I would bet on Poulter to win one before anyone on the list other than Fowler and maybe Matsuyama. Not as talented as some (ie, Woodland and Casey) but plenty talented when he gets hot and heck of a lot grittier than everyone on that list combined. Suspect his best chances are either Open.

> >

>

> I think only 2 players in the last 30 years have won age 43 or older and one of them was a month ago. He has very limited time.

Poulter is similar to Darren Clarke. He'll pull it together to win The Open, possibly this year.

TM Stealth 10.5°, Standard setting. 

Stealth Max 3-wood 16.5°, High-Launch.  

SIM 3i Hybrid 19°

TM P-790 4i - First Edition

Srixon ZX5 5-9

Callaway Jaws5 PW

Vokey SM8 52°, 56°, 60° Jet Black

Scotty T22 Black Fastback, 35", original gray SC pistolero grip.  

Pro V1 typically, V1x occasionally

PING "Hawaiian" Floral bag.  

Jon Rahm, best player currently with no majors but potential for multiples. This thread never specified best career without any ever.

TM 2016 M2 12*(-2 setting) - OG Grafalloy Blue X, 43.5"

TEE XCG7 16.5* 4w, OG Grafalloy Blue S, 41.75"

Wilson D9 18* 4i, KBS Max-R, 39.5”

Cobra King OS 4-G, TT XP95 R300, -.5
Mack Daddy CB 56.14(2* weak)  60.12(3*  weak)

Edel Brick

Fleetwood

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

Some of these guys haven't had enough time to put them in this category - deChambeau, Finau, Fleetwood. They need more chances before I'd vote for them. I'd question if Fowler is really that good anyway. :# A few years ago I would have said Westwood/Garcia. But Westwood has aged out of the conversation and Sergio got his.

To me the correct answer is Paul Casey/Matt Kuchar. Neither hit the ball very high, which is their issue with the Masters/US Open. Both I think should have won a British Open by now though.

I agree with @DD4442 as well. Not sure Fleetwood meets the 20 major appearances criteria, but I would say Rickie and Tommy over Kuchar. Rickie because he can bomb it. Especially since he is longer off the tee now than he ever was. Tommy is longer he gets credit for.

Callaway Paradym 9* (N/+1) GD Tour AD DI 5/ Epic Speed 9* (N/+1) Ventus Red VeloCore 5
Callaway Epic Speed 15* 3wd Fubuki Ax f65 

Callaway Epic Max 18* 5wd Fubuki Ax f75  
Callaway Rogue ST Pro hybrid 23* KBS Prototype 75 or Apex UT 24* KBS Prototype 85
Callaway Mavrik Pro KBS TGI 6-PW 
Callaway MD3 46*/8* & 50*/10* 
Callaway Jaws Raw 54*/10*S & 58*/8*Z grind 
Odyssey Two Ball Ten Tour Lined Limited Stroke Lab SS Zenergy Flatso 1.0 or

Odyssey 5k Tri Hot #2 Stroke Lab SS Zenergy Pistol Tour

> @freeze16172002 said:

> Fowler is 10 years on tour with 5 wins. There are a dozen or more that had a better 10 years

> Johnson, Koepka, Spieth, Thomas, McIlroy, Tiger, Phil, Kuchar, Webb, Bubba, Kaymer, Reed, Day

> all have had a better ten years

And all have majors except Kuchar, so would clearly not be the best player without a major.... am I missing something here?

> @Cincy_Ken said:

> > @freeze16172002 said:

> > > @mwf0001 said:

> > > Players that have held this title in the most recent past:

> > >

> > > Sergio Garcia

> > > Phil Mickelson

> > >

> > > I vote Fowler. 100% Fowler. Currently, he has just about the same career numbers through a similar number of tournaments as both these guys had at the time of their first major wins. Only difference is the first major opened the flood gates for Mickelson, and Garcia has somewhat stalled out since his first major.

> >

> > Phil had 22 wins before his first major, that is far from being similar to rickies 5

>

> Yeah, there's no comparison between Rickie and those two except for endorsements. Bryson won more in a little over a year than Ricke won in a decade. Rahm and Xander have won in 3 years about as much as Rickie has in 10. If really don't see an argument for Rickie above any of the younger guys. The only argument is Rickie's high finishes but Xander is doing that too along with winning.

Rahm only has 2 PGA tour wins granted way faster than Rickie but still not half his whopping total of 5. I think Bryson and Rickie both at 5 PGA tour wins.

The question is about time and talent. Think of the guys who have won time and time again, all with incredible talent: Mickelson, Scott, Garcia, for example. It got to the point where people were wondering what gives? Should have won by now. We expected them to contend and win. Who would that player be right now? I think many would expect that player to be Rickie. I expected Monty and Westwood but it never happened. Casey maybe. Definitely like the new talent out there but not every one comes out guns a blazin’, like YJS or BK. Kutcher one day, but I think Fowler first.

can't call one the best without a major win. oxymoron question.

__

DR Callie Epic Flash 💎💎💎 8.5º TC + House of Forged Ballistic LD-S

3W Royal Collection CV Pro 13° + LAGP House of Forged Tour Limited 70X 

5W PXG 0341X Proto 18º + LAGP HoF Platinum 70S 

HYB Royal Collection 505V BBD 18º + NS PRO 950FW X, PXG 0317X 21º + Fujikura Pro 95i Tour Spec X

DI Nike VFP #4 + KBS Tour HYB Proto 95X, Callie X Forged ‘18 #3 + Modus Tour 120X

IRONS Callie X Forged 2013 5-PW MMT 95S

WEDGES Scratch 8620 47º, 50º, 55º STI 60º, Edel 60º

PUTTERS Nike Method 001, Edel The "Gold" Brick, John Byron Winner Seven

> @buckeye440 said:

> > @Cincy_Ken said:

> > > @freeze16172002 said:

> > > > @mwf0001 said:

> > > > Players that have held this title in the most recent past:

> > > >

> > > > Sergio Garcia

> > > > Phil Mickelson

> > > >

> > > > I vote Fowler. 100% Fowler. Currently, he has just about the same career numbers through a similar number of tournaments as both these guys had at the time of their first major wins. Only difference is the first major opened the flood gates for Mickelson, and Garcia has somewhat stalled out since his first major.

> > >

> > > Phil had 22 wins before his first major, that is far from being similar to rickies 5

> >

> > Yeah, there's no comparison between Rickie and those two except for endorsements. Bryson won more in a little over a year than Ricke won in a decade. Rahm and Xander have won in 3 years about as much as Rickie has in 10. If really don't see an argument for Rickie above any of the younger guys. The only argument is Rickie's high finishes but Xander is doing that too along with winning.

>

> Rahm only has 2 PGA tour wins granted way faster than Rickie but still not half his whopping total of 5. I think Bryson and Rickie both at 5 PGA tour wins.

Rahm actually has 3 PGA Tour wins in a little over 2 years on the PGA Tour. Fowler has 5 in close to 10 years on the PGA Tour.

> @buckeye440 said:

> > @freeze16172002 said:

> > Fowler is 10 years on tour with 5 wins. There are a dozen or more that had a better 10 years

> > Johnson, Koepka, Spieth, Thomas, McIlroy, Tiger, Phil, Kuchar, Webb, Bubba, Kaymer, Reed, Day

> > all have had a better ten years

>

> And all have majors except Kuchar, so would clearly not be the best player without a major.... am I missing something here?

>

>

>

Trying to explain that Rickie is "not" the best without a major. And if you looked at his 10 year career on tour you would see 12-15 players that had a better 10 years. Knowing they have majors

> @grm24 said:

> > @buckeye440 said:

> > > @Cincy_Ken said:

> > > > @freeze16172002 said:

> > > > > @mwf0001 said:

> > > > > Players that have held this title in the most recent past:

> > > > >

> > > > > Sergio Garcia

> > > > > Phil Mickelson

> > > > >

> > > > > I vote Fowler. 100% Fowler. Currently, he has just about the same career numbers through a similar number of tournaments as both these guys had at the time of their first major wins. Only difference is the first major opened the flood gates for Mickelson, and Garcia has somewhat stalled out since his first major.

> > > >

> > > > Phil had 22 wins before his first major, that is far from being similar to rickies 5

> > >

> > > Yeah, there's no comparison between Rickie and those two except for endorsements. Bryson won more in a little over a year than Ricke won in a decade. Rahm and Xander have won in 3 years about as much as Rickie has in 10. If really don't see an argument for Rickie above any of the younger guys. The only argument is Rickie's high finishes but Xander is doing that too along with winning.

> >

> > Rahm only has 2 PGA tour wins granted way faster than Rickie but still not half his whopping total of 5. I think Bryson and Rickie both at 5 PGA tour wins.

>

> Rahm actually has 3 PGA Tour wins in a little over 2 years on the PGA Tour. Fowler has 5 in close to 10 years on the PGA Tour.

Are you sure?

Fowler

* 2012 Wells Fargo

* 2015 Deutchse Bank

* 2015 Players

* 2017 Honda

* 2019 WM Open

Rahm:

* 2017 Farmers

* 2018 Career Builder

Are you counting the Hero Would Challenge or am I missing something else? That doesn't count as a PGA Tour win. There aren't even 20 golfers in the event. Either way both have won, Fowler in 2017, Rahm in 2018.

> @buckeye440 said:

> > @grm24 said:

> > > @buckeye440 said:

> > > > @Cincy_Ken said:

> > > > > @freeze16172002 said:

> > > > > > @mwf0001 said:

> > > > > > Players that have held this title in the most recent past:

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Sergio Garcia

> > > > > > Phil Mickelson

> > > > > >

> > > > > > I vote Fowler. 100% Fowler. Currently, he has just about the same career numbers through a similar number of tournaments as both these guys had at the time of their first major wins. Only difference is the first major opened the flood gates for Mickelson, and Garcia has somewhat stalled out since his first major.

> > > > >

> > > > > Phil had 22 wins before his first major, that is far from being similar to rickies 5

> > > >

> > > > Yeah, there's no comparison between Rickie and those two except for endorsements. Bryson won more in a little over a year than Ricke won in a decade. Rahm and Xander have won in 3 years about as much as Rickie has in 10. If really don't see an argument for Rickie above any of the younger guys. The only argument is Rickie's high finishes but Xander is doing that too along with winning.

> > >

> > > Rahm only has 2 PGA tour wins granted way faster than Rickie but still not half his whopping total of 5. I think Bryson and Rickie both at 5 PGA tour wins.

> >

> > Rahm actually has 3 PGA Tour wins in a little over 2 years on the PGA Tour. Fowler has 5 in close to 10 years on the PGA Tour.

>

> Are you sure?

> Fowler

> * 2012 Wells Fargo

> * 2015 Deutchse Bank

> * 2015 Players

> * 2017 Honda

> * 2019 WM Open

>

> Rahm:

> * 2017 Farmers

> * 2018 Career Builder

>

> Are you counting the Hero Would Challenge or am I missing something else? That doesn't count as a PGA Tour win. There aren't even 20 golfers in the event. Either way both have won, Fowler in 2017, Rahm in 2018.

He’s referring to the team event, which is a PGA Tour win but doesn’t count in the OWGR.

• Like 1