2019 KPMG Women's PGA Championship Jun 20 - 23

> @imrede4glf said:

> I'm going with Carlota Ciganda. I'm just wondering if the producers will cover her before the final 4 holes if she's in the lead. Their coverage is horrible.

Even though Golf Channel is owned by NBC Sports; each has independent production staff.

With NBC Sports coverage, the producers who normally cover PGA Tour only have no ideas about the intricacies of LPGA stars. It led to odd choices of players presented..

It's pitiful; but the increased exposure of network television over weekends may offset some of the pains.

Hannah keeps chugging away. Three under today, which doesn't sound like much, but the rest of the field isn't doing much. Jin Young has recovered from yesterday's poor start, and is on pace to make the cut.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

> @2Tall4Golf said:

> > @Enduro59 said:

> > > @2Tall4Golf said:

> > > > @DavePelz4 said:

> > > > And...they just changed her score to a par on the hole. Nice job LPGA!

> > >

> > > It’s not an LPGA issue, or a website issue. It’s the fault of the volunteer walking scores with each group. If they make a mistake entering a score on the handheld device they need to work with the scoring officials to get it corrected. That takes time.

> > >

> > > Please stop blaming the website to the LPGA it’s only as good as the data that is fed to it in real time. Remember garbage in garbage out.

> > >

> > >

> >

> > If what you say is correct why do we seldom if ever see these same score discrepancies on PGA tour or tour of champions? Not sure about the PGA tour but I know as of March the Tour of champions still used walking scorers.

>

> Great question. Quality of volunteers, technology used? I’ve only volunteered for LPGA events. There are quite a few mistakes that need to be corrected, some are comical. Maybe someone has volunteered for different tours and can give more insight.

I've volunteered for different events as a standard bearer out here in Hawaii. While I think it is pretty easy to keep track of three different golfers and how many shots have each taken, a few of the walking scorers I've been with have had a difficult time with the handheld devices. I don't know if it's training on the device or something else (comms).

I found it a little strange that they did a piece on Charlotte Thomas yesterday. She finished 2T at the Vic, and 6T at the Founders early in the season, but she's done pretty much nothing since. She's missed 5 cuts, including the last three in a row, and will miss her fourth in a row this week. When she made the cut, she finished 74, 76T, 75, and 47T. Are they running out of rookies to spotlight?

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

Jin Young finished at -5 for the day, and even for the tournament. She's seven shots out of the lead, but another two rounds at four or five under could be enough.

The cut line has moved to +4. The last group will be teeing off shortly.

> @legitimategolf said:

> Sorry if this is old news but Lydia got another new coach.

>

> https://www.golfchannel.com/news/swing-coach-change-paying-lydia-ko-kpmg-womens-pga-championship

Whomever is giving Lydia advice on golf matters has put a huge halt on her career (see Michelle Wie). She was unstoppable a couple years ago. Why do pros need a "swing coach"? Seriously? There are a lot of hangers-on around pros today acting like remora.

> @Argonne69 said:

> I found it a little strange that they did a piece on Charlotte Thomas yesterday. She finished 2T at the Vic, and 6T at the Founders early in the season, but she's done pretty much nothing since. She's missed 5 cuts, including the last three in a row, and will miss her fourth in a row this week. When she made the cut, she finished 74, 76T, 75, and 47T. Are they running out of rookies to spotlight?

They just aired a piece on how some of the pros got into golf. They’re parents, grandparents.. with pics of when they were kids playing etc. it was nice.. and yet they didn’t spotlight any of the Asian players.. who basically dominate the tour and especially the majors, the top 10 world rankings.. but hey maybe they were just too busy practicing

The lpga or maybe it’s the golf channel sure are trying their darndest to keep up “interest” in the women’s game here in murica. Oh but wait they interviewed Brooke and karrie.. both NOT American

Now it’s a promotional KPMG piece on women leaders in society and .. not one Asian... just imagine if someone actually made a fuss about it. But no. Subtle undercover prejudice. But it’s just the Asian folk. They won’t complain too much. They’ll just keep taking home trophies I suppose

Rant over. I’ll see myself out

OK, so I don't know which is more surprising. There's Hannah at the top of the leaderboard, a first for her on the LPGA. Then there's Ariya hitting driver, and generally looking like Ariya of 2018. Finally there's Lydia, a short hitter using her short game to keep up with the long ball hitters on likely the longest layout she's played as a professional.

I expect Hannah to lose ground. As Karen mentioned early in the broadcast, she has holed out a number of shots, which very likely won't continue. Lydia seems to be playing smart, but hitting hybrids into greens will likely also take its toll. Ariya seems to have a big advantage going forward.

Jessica had a heck of a round going before the 16th. Pity.

Surprising club slam by So Yeon. The course is getting to a lot of players I'm sure.

'Nice birdie by Brooke to make the cut. My prediction is safe for the moment. Lol.

It seems like the pure length of this course is causing the most damage. I can't recall two days where we've seen so few shots stuck close. Of course the difference is a 5 iron vs. a 9 iron. The fairways don't look overly narrow, but the rough looks sufficiently punishing for the length of the course. The rough around the greens looks sticky as heck, and So Yeon demonstrated. The greens look fairly benign, but there must be some awfully subtle breaks, as we keep seeing a lot of players burn the edges.

Should be another torture test tomorrow.

Who was the commentator who said, near the end of the broadcast, "...the lead is effectively -4. This is what all the contenders are thinking..."? It was harsh, but true, and I appreciated the honesty. Nevertheless, it will be fascinating to see how Greenie holds up over the weekend. There's nothing wrong with having a bit of good luck in a major championship! I guess the trick is just to accept it, use it, and go forward.

* As Argonne also said, I was shocked at So Yeon's club slam. So not So Yeon! So much for her finding golf/life balance. That smacked of someone a touch frustrated at her lack of ability to contend this year. Hopefully she bins this golf/life balance nonsense! There is only golf!

* Fabulous "driving" by Ariya today! Those graphics showing how far she was out-hitting Lexi by must sting Lexi a bit. Something she is definitely unaccustomed to!

* Go Lyds! What more can we say? Like Stupples said, we all want Lydia to find the Lydia game. She it a 60-yard wedge today that was to die for. She has the deadest hands in the business!

* A pretty talent packed leaderboard, with one surprise at the top, and even a bit of In Gee Chun action around the fringes! But I didn't see her hit a single stroke. Maybe I nodded off.

> @"Raving Shanker" said:

>

> * As Argonne also said, I was shocked at So Yeon's club slam. So not So Yeon! So much for her finding golf/life balance. That smacked of someone a touch frustrated at her lack of ability to contend this year. Hopefully she bins this golf/life balance nonsense! There is only golf!

She slammed her club a few times last season. (The added twist this season was the ball toss into the water.) I can't recall if the broadcast team asked her about it or discussed it at the time.

This is the first time I've seen it this season. Get it out, forget it and move on to the next hole I guess.

I think wet conditions suit Ariya's teeshot over Lexi's. She hits very low runners, whereas Lexi hit a high ball that might be a tad too high, and thus landing softly. Ariya's teeshot on #18 was sick, and that was with a 3 wood.

In Gee had her redemption yesterday by playing well and made the cut.

She collapsed the second nine of round 2 at last year's KPMG; it started a poor run of 3 missed cuts in her last five majors.

It's a glorious round; she drove well (259 yards), scrambled (5/7) and putted (27) well.

She'll clear $200,000 in official money and snatch 2020 Top-80 priority by finishing Top 10 this week.