Other than TOC, what is a must play in Scotland

I’m staying in St Andrews and have a car. I’m hoping to land a ballot time with another, but willing to get up early as a single if needed. I have a chance to play two more days so I’m looking for advice. Is Royal Dornoch worth the long drive (would be round trip in one day)? I’m willing as I may not get back over here again. What about Cruden Bay, Carnoustie, Kingsbarns, North Berwick, or ??? Looking for some good advice!

Thanks!

RDGC is about a 4 hour drive each way, so I would stay local.

Carnoustie is a great test of golf. Save some energy for the last 4 holes, you'll need it!

Cruden Bay is 2 hours each way, I'm not certain it's worth the journey..

Kingsbarns is a bit 'American' and I don't much like North Berwick.

Mizuno ST190 TS Driver Fujikura Atmos 6R

Cobra Radspeed 5W Fujikura Motore X F3 R

Taylormade 3,5 Hybrid (2010)
5 - 6 Mizuno MP18 MMC FliHi Recoil F3 95g R 
7 -W Mizuno MP18 SC Recoil F3 95g R
52.08 Vokey SM5
56.08 Vokey SM5
Any of 5 Pings and 1 Seemore FPG

> @imafishermn said:

> Thanks for the feedback - the weather is supposed to be wonderful so I’m determined to make the drive and play Royal Dornoch. I know it will be a long day but I’m not going to pass up the chance based on everything I’ve read and your comments.

Since it’s already a long day, you should play Castle Stuart too since you’re going right by it lol.

The only must play (that is don't miss for any reason) in Scotland is TOC. The next closest thing (plan a significant trip around this course) are North Berwick, Muirfield & Prestwick. Since Muirfield & N Berwick are practically next door and considerably closer than Dornoch, I might suggest your time is better spent exploring those options.

Ciao

• Like 1

^Not played Muirfield - otherwise I agree with the above (and funnily enough just put it in MC's thread) but IMHO you're missing a trick if you don't get to one of Prestwick or North Berwick - along with TOC of course - when traveling to Scotland for the first/only time.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Unfortunately we missed the ballot for my first day in St Andrews. I’ll find out tomorrow afternoon if I’m successful for day 2 - if not, I’ll be at the pavilion very early Wed morning. Was really hoping for the ballot on Wed so I could drive up to Royal Dornoch on Thur. If I make the ballot on Thur, I’ll make that drive on Wed.

> @raynorfan1 said:

> I love Royal Dornoch probably more than any other course in the world...but I must be getting old because there is no way I would drive up from St. Andrews, play it, and drive back in the same day.

Agreed, I do some stupid amounts of driving for golf and a 7hr round trip - on what I get from the OP is a shortish one week trip - is a bit silly with the quality courses that are relatively 'next door' so to speak.

Heck Royal Aberdeen and Cruden Bay would be an easy 36 hole day of linksy wonderfulness.

That said OP if you really are set on something, then best do it.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

> @Chanceman said:

> I would rate Royal Dornoch as the most enjoyable course in Scotland, if not the best, and for me would be the first course to play. Having said that, TOC is **naturally an experience** not to miss.

I highlight part of your post as that is spot on in my opinion, there are FAR BETTER courses in Scotland than St Andrews but it is a phenomenal experience. The history and aura are frightening, you can feel the ghosts of yesteryear on that first tee and when you head for home.

I'd make the trip to Dornoch. Fabulous course.

• Like 1

Ping G430 Max 9* - Accra shaft

Ping G430 5 & 7 Woods Kai'li White

Ping iCrossover 3 Kai'li White

Ping i525 5-U Recoils

Ping Glide 4.0 54/58

PXG Bat Attack

:smilie_ping:

I'm a fan of Kingsbarns, Carnoustie and Muirfield

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

> @MilkyButterCuts said:

> You would be doing the entire trip a disservice if you miss Dornoch.. If you can find a way to squeeze it in I would not hesitate to do so.

Hyperbole much?

If the OP ignored everyone and just did what's in his OP (Cruden Bay, Carnoustie, Kingsbarns, North Berwick + TOC), for a week long trip, plus some other Fife courses, that's a pretty awesome trip, with zero disservicing occurring.

F.T.

> @duffer987 said:

> > @MilkyButterCuts said:

> > You would be doing the entire trip a disservice if you miss Dornoch.. **If you can** find a way to squeeze it in I would not hesitate to do so.

>

> Hyperbole much?

> If the OP ignored everyone and just did what's in his OP (Cruden Bay, Carnoustie, Kingsbarns, North Berwick + TOC), for a week long trip, plus some other Fife courses, that's a pretty awesome trip, with zero disservicing occurring.

Simply my opinion, friend. It is a hyperbole, yes.

Seriously though, if there were 2 courses I would've rerounded on my trip it would have been Trmp Intl and Dornoch.

I think an important thing for all of us to remember is that the OP is a single player with his own car. We're suggesting (me included) that he drive 8 hours up the A9 to play a round of golf at a great golf course. Let me be clear, I would NOT recommend that anyone do that as a day trip, that is a recipe for a wreck on the highway. If he can stay a night or two up north, it makes a lot of sense, but not up and back in a day.

> @davep043 said:

> I think an important thing for all of us to remember is that the OP is a single player with his own car. We're suggesting (me included) that he drive 8 hours up the A9 to play a round of golf at a great golf course. Let me be clear, I would NOT recommend that anyone do that as a day trip, that is a recipe for a wreck on the highway. If he can stay a night or two up north, it makes a lot of sense, but not up and back in a day.

I would listen to anything and everything @davep043 has to say as his advice was instrumental when I planned my trip with my father last year.

> @MilkyButterCuts said:

> > @duffer987 said:

> > > @MilkyButterCuts said:

> > > You would be doing the entire trip a disservice if you miss Dornoch.. **If you can** find a way to squeeze it in I would not hesitate to do so.

> >

> > Hyperbole much?

> > If the OP ignored everyone and just did what's in his OP (Cruden Bay, Carnoustie, Kingsbarns, North Berwick + TOC), for a week long trip, plus some other Fife courses, that's a pretty awesome trip, with zero disservicing occurring.

>

> Simply my opinion, friend. It is a hyperbole, yes.

> Seriously though, if there were 2 courses I would've rerounded on my trip it would have been Trmp Intl and Dornoch.

Of course. And we're in agreement it was hyperbolic :-)

Good to already know when you go back which ones you want to replay, makes it easier to plan out!

F.T.

Yep, overnight only. Driving is not to be taken lightly over there. We took the long way down from Dornoch to St. Andrews last year - through and around the hills, to Balmoral, then to Glamis (girls are Anglophiles and great castles!) then to St. Andrews. Quite a hike and didn't mind not messing with the A9 but our route, though scenic, had its challenges, lol. Can't imagine driving to Dornoch, the challenge of walking and enjoying the course, then trying to drive back - yikes.

> @MilkyButterCuts said:

> > @davep043 said:

> > I think an important thing for all of us to remember is that the OP is a single player with his own car. We're suggesting (me included) that he drive 8 hours up the A9 to play a round of golf at a great golf course. Let me be clear, I would NOT recommend that anyone do that as a day trip, that is a recipe for a wreck on the highway. If he can stay a night or two up north, it makes a lot of sense, but not up and back in a day.

>

> I would listen to anything and everything @davep043 has to say as his advice was instrumental when I planned my trip with my father last year.

I'm glad it worked out for you, but I sure don't know everything about Scotland golf. I just know that driving for 8 hours, with a round of golf sandwiched in the middle, makes for a pretty dangerous drive southbound. And Dornoch is a lovely wee town, AND Royal Dornoch is worth playing a couple of times. So my advice is to try to stay a couple of nights, play the course twice (or more), and make it a safe excursion.

wow, unlucky with the ballot fro yesterday. Did you get it today? if you didn't you are getting up now to head to the starter!

and no Dornoch is too far to drive for a day. I should not do it from Aberdeen, never mind 90 miles south, even though there is a more direct route. A9 is one of the most dangerous roads in Scotland, hence the cameras etc, definitely not to be rushed. US driving is far easier with the long straight roads, although there is certainly many more nutter drivers in the US.

• Titleist TSR3 9* Ventus Black 6X
  • Taylormade Sim2 15* Tensei White 80TX
  • TM Stealth 2 Iron or Ping i59 3 iron Project X 7.0
  • Artisan MB 4-9 Project X 7.0
  • Artisan 46*, 50* Project X 6.5
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400
  • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217

> @thecraw said:

>

> I highlight part of your post as that is spot on in my opinion, there are FAR BETTER courses in Scotland than St Andrews but it is a phenomenal experience. The history and aura are frightening, you can feel the ghosts of yesteryear on that first tee and when you head for home.

Far better??????? Can you actually read what you wrote and believe it? It is THE classic links course.

I got on yesterday late afternoon (17:00 tee time!) and it was beautiful. I ran out of steam coming home but still had a respectable round. The last four holes into the city with the sun low at my back was something I’ll never forget. I didn’t make the drive to Dornoch, with finishing at 21:00 by the time I had something to eat, looked at my pictures, replayed the course in my mind, it was well after midnight before I got to bed.

Tomorrow I’m torn between getting up early and another round on TOC or making the short drive to Car-NASTY! I ‘d really like another shot at TOC when I’m better rested but I’d also like to see Carnoustie. Ok gang, voice your opinion once again. I love reading all the comments!