Anyone besides me have issues with lightning phobia?

4thand11

> @4thand11 said:

> This is probably a random topic, but I have a severe phobia of lightning. I realize, of course, that people DO get struck by lightning on golf courses sometimes, and it is a legitimate danger... however my phobia is to the point where I can't play if there is even a slight chance of storms in the forecast. My nightmare is getting stranded out on the course when a lightning storm blows in.

> The issue I run into is that I live in an area where storms are in the forecast regularly during the summer months. And also, my friends who I play with are not afraid in the slightest. They will keep playing until the rain starts coming down in buckets, even with thunder rolling overhead and lightning visible in the distance. So when I do play I spend half the time checking the weather on my phone. On many occasions I've just walked off the course because I see a line approaching maybe 15 minutes away and I don't want to get stuck. Meanwhile the sun is still out and my friends think I am crazy.

> I don't really see an easy fix for this besides moving to an area that doesn't get humidity and frequent storms... just wondering if I am the only one who obsesses over the forecast when there is a chance of lightning.

You likely know that this is beyond a phobia. You seriously need to get some help here as this could be debilitating for you. Today it's lightning while playing golf. Tomorrow you might add more situations to this and it could cascade to a point where you no longer able to function on a normal level. Start with your physician and let him/her know what's happening. Fear is one thing. Irrational fear is a step down a path you don't need to be on.

Ping G430 10K 10.5º Chrome 2.0 S (on order)

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45" (soon to be mothballed)

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM4 56°, SM4 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

@nogopehrs said:

> I believe any golf course that holds sanctioned tournaments is supposed to have them (that's what I was told...Anyone?). Ours is set if lightning is detected 10 miles away. The walk from the farthest hole to the clubhouse can take over 10 minutes at a good pace.

>

Plus, lightning can travel up to 10 miles from its source. I think having respect for the risk is only sensible. We are exposed as golfers and sometimes we are holding lightning rods above our heads. Anyone outside in an electrical storm needs to be careful.

When I was a kid, any dark cloud sent me into a cold sweat when on the course. I’m better about it now.

Titleist Trip - New Bedford

Titleist TSi3 8* with Tensei AV Raw White 65X
Titleist 915 Fd 15 with diamana d+80X
Titleist 918H2 18* with Tensei CK White 90X
Titleist ap2 716 4-gw with Amt x100
Vokey sm9 54, 58 with Amt x100

Evnroll ER2

> @dlygrisse said:

> I don't have a phobia, but I was playing once on a clear blue-sky day, a small micro cloud moved in, I didn't even see it....right as I made contact with the ball on a par 3 the tree 40 yards from me was split in two. I laid on the ground for few minutes till I knew for sure I was still alive, my heart was racing and all the hairs on my body were standing straight up. Scary stuff. I was walking, luckily I was on 16, so the run to the clubhouse wasnt that long. I have always taken lightning more seriously since then, my advice is to get inside, when the sirens go off.

Yep. I’ve been close a couple times myself. I don’t share the actual phobia. But. I will not keep playing if I see lightning close.

I’ve had two trees hit on my home property with me within 100 yards ( inside of the barn ) and it’s a horrific sight. Both trees exploded. Literally. It’s nothing to play with.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Nothing wrong with a healthy respect for something as hazardous as lightning. The downside is too great to ignore.

I played with a guy who worked for the power company in making the network resistant to lightning strikes. His fear was what his peers would say at his funeral if he were to get struck out on the course. He was first to the clubhouse when a storm rolled in.

I've been hit. Not hard, I was fine, it was an indirect hit from the ground up. Lightning is nothing to tempt. If I can hear it, I'm very aware and consider leaving. If I can see it, I'm headed home.

A strike does not have to hit you... You can be injured for a long distance away from the strike. Lightning also hits many many miles from the actual storm.

This was over 10 years ago (back when recorded video was more often analog). I had gone to the club to play 18 holes and the forecast indicated that we would probably be getting some big storms somewhere on the front 9. So we cancelled the round and I drove off to my favorite shag ball area just to grab a single video of my swing (some things that I was working on). While the weather looked unsettled I never heard a thunderclap, never saw any lightning, and had no idea that I had captured a lightning bolt on video until I got home and saw it (on a single frame). I was astonished and I almost missed it when reviewing the video. There was just this little flash that made me ask "what was that".

dave

yiso8byvzill.jpg

Use a weather app on your phone. My app let's me know how far away the last lightening strike was.

This past fall I was playing with my Dad and the storm came in just as we teed off. As we kept playing we were checking to see how far it was away and it kept getting closer as we went on. At one point the app said it was 1 mile away, told my Dad that we might want to take a break...we kept playing.

I was playing by myself at a course outside London called Trent Park it was raining lightly with little lightning flashes here and there. I was young then... Anyway i pulled my 9 iron out of the bag, raised the club head and shaft to chest level to take my grip....got struck through the club, let the club go as soon as i felt it. dropped me on the ground. Got up and kept playing laughing my head off. I was young then.

Titleist TSR4 /Ozik F6M2/Ozik TP6HD/EVO III FUJI/fuji pro 2.0
Cobra Ltd 3 Kaili 80

Cobra Ltd 5 Kaili 80 (sub :Cobra F6 Baffler 18.5 Kaili 80)
Adams XTD TI  22 Hybrid
Honma 757B Blades 4-pw . s300 xp 
Nike Vapor Pro combo AW 50*,Ping 3.0 EYE 54, 58 

Bettinardi SS 2 silver

Nike B1-05 Origin (Rare)
Slazenger 508/Kirk Currie KC02B

It sounds like you need to find more of a happy medium and take a more informed approach (not that you're not informed). But, proper info may make your fears lessen (like some mention here with an app on your phone to help monitor the weather). Lightning is a legit concern, certainly. I was playing in the Sierra foothills many years ago and we were listening to thunder approaching. didn't think anything of it. Then, as I stood in the middle of the 18th fairway with my 7 iron in my hands I remember addressing the ball and suddenly seeing my shadow on the ball and a very bright white explosion behind me. The bolt came down into the tall pines behind me. I ran to the cart and tore up to the clubhouse. Dumb. Since then, I'm more guarded about this.

> @BeerPerHole said:

> It sounds like you need to find more of a happy medium and take a more informed approach (not that you're not informed). But, proper info may make your fears lessen (like some mention here with an app on your phone to help monitor the weather). Lightning is a legit concern, certainly. I was playing in the Sierra foothills many years ago and we were listening to thunder approaching. didn't think anything of it. Then, as I stood in the middle of the 18th fairway with my 7 iron in my hands I remember addressing the ball and suddenly seeing my shadow on the ball and a very bright white explosion behind me. The bolt came down into the tall pines behind me. I ran to the cart and tore up to the clubhouse. Dumb. Since then, I'm more guarded about this.

Sounds like you are advocating that he adopt an emotional support animal to take with him when he plays.

As an avid golfer and fisherman ( flyfishing mostly) I learned to have a severe respect for weather. While I have never had a lighting strike near me on the course .... if there is lightning LEAVE... I will pass on a story from my earlier years.

I was maybe seventeen (44 now) and my dad and I were Bass fishing in a new boat he had purchased. We were on Smith Mountain Lake outside of Roanoke Va. Typical July afternoon of possible pop up storms. We headed put after diner around six ish... clouds were very evident and Dad gave me that knowing look of “ were gonna slayem”. We did , fish after fish for a few hours . We got so involved in catching bass we neglected to watch the sky. I went to make a cast and to my surprise the line ( monofilament, the braided stuff hadn't caught on yet) suspended in air AFTER the lure hit the water.... BOOOOOM CLAP! The sky it up ( it was just getting almost too dark to see well... but we were having a ball catching fish). We both instinctively hit the deck of the boat and watched a bolt explode a tree on the bank about 3-4 hundred yards away. We were THAT close to being hit. From that moment on We both learned to forget the fish and head to safety. We spent a good three hours tucked in a covered boat slip ( owned by someone else but ya gotta do what ya gotta do) and then made it home. Takeaway always respect the weather and never take it for granted. Golf is no exception. I dont fear the lighting but I carry a very healthy respect for it. Now I dont take chances and If I see lightning I leave .