Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round 3)

stasek

34 minutes ago, Markrip said:

Playing Blackstone in Marengo tomorrow. I’ve driven by it many times going to Marengo Ridge and said to myself I should play there. I went there today for a Sub 70 demo day and after trying some great clubs went and took a look at the course from the club house. Looks even better than from the road driving by. Looking forward to playing tomorrow and hopefully the rain stays away.

Blackstone is one of my favorites in the state.  With the heat and lack of rain the course is going to be s firm and fast as ever.  Pay close attention to hazards, in these conditions there's going to be a lot holes where driver is going to be too much.

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

1 hour ago, MountainKing said:

Blackstone is one of my favorites in the state.  With the heat and lack of rain the course is going to be s firm and fast as ever.  Pay close attention to hazards, in these conditions there's going to be a lot holes where driver is going to be too much.

Got it!

Driver- Tour Edge EXS 220

4W- Sub 70 949X

4H- Sub 70 949X

Utility- Sub 70 699U 21 degree

Irons- Sub 70 749 5-PW

Wedges - Sub 70 286 50+54 degree

Tour Edge 1 out 58 degree

Putter- Cleveland Huntington Beach #11

Hadn't played Big Run in years. Love the layout. Greens were extremely smooth, but spongy and their typical slow speed. Weeds everywhere, irrigation only on greens and fairways, and they didn't let you take the carts into the fairway on most holes. Needed more water coolers on the course without a cart girl and the drink machines were all out. Challenging course, just wish the conditioning could keep up but it doesn't look like that's ever happening. 

Edited by Holy Moses

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

10 hours ago, Holy Moses said:

Hadn't played Big Run in years. Love the layout. Greens were extremely smooth, but spongy and their typical slow speed. Weeds everywhere, irrigation only on greens and fairways, and they didn't let you take the carts into the fairway on most holes. Needed more water coolers on the course without a cart girl and the drink machines were all out. Challenging course, just wish the conditioning could keep up but it doesn't look like that's every happening. 

I see this complaint a lot lately - lack of cart person, lack of water coolers.  My pro tip these days, especially on the hot days, bring your own cooler of water with you. Even the higher end courses are lacking in some of these ammenities. The advice is a bit tougher for the walkers, but I know we have some walkers here who can probably toss out what they do to get by.

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

38 minutes ago, stasek said:

Our Tour's next stop this afternoon - Heritage Oaks...... what are the chances it's going to rain.....  scratch that..... It's raining....🤬

I actually had intentions of going to practice this morning, something I never do.  Guess it's a sign that I should just avoid practicing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

1 hour ago, MountainKing said:

I see this complaint a lot lately - lack of cart person, lack of water coolers.  My pro tip these days, especially on the hot days, bring your own cooler of water with you. Even the higher end courses are lacking in some of these ammenities. The advice is a bit tougher for the walkers, but I know we have some walkers here who can probably toss out what they do to get by.

I've noticed many courses I've played recently elsewhere in the country are becoming more lax in enforcement of "no cooler" policies, especially courses that pulled the water jugs and fountains off the course with covid and never put them back, and don't have a bev cart running or stop it after the morning rush. At worst I'll get asked by an employee  "you don't have beer in there, right?" and a response of "just water" satisfies them. The only course since 2020 that refused to let me bring a small nylon cooler with me, even after showing them it was just water, was a TPC course.

Edited by Bonneville85308
  • Like 1

Playing Cog #2 tomorrow morning. Haven’t been there in ten years since moving to McHenry. Looking forward to seeing what has changed. Also no rain hopefully.

M3 9.5* / Atmos Black Tour Spec
M4 16.5* / Hzrdus Black
M4 Hybrid 19* / KBS Prototype
P-770 / Project X LZ 6.0
52* / 58* Black Milled Grind Wedge / KBS Custom
59* Original Trusty Rusty / Hump shaft
60* Raw Milled Grind Wedge / KBS Custom
Toulon Garage Columbus Triple Black

13 minutes ago, Bonneville85308 said:

I've noticed many courses I've played recently elsewhere in the country are becoming more lax in enforcement of "no cooler" policies, especially courses that pulled the water jugs and fountains off the course with covid and never put them back, and don't have a bev cart running or stop it after the morning rush. At worst I'll get asked by an employee  "you don't have beer in there, right?" and a response of "just water" satisfies them. The only course since 2020 that refused to let me bring a small nylon cooler with me, even after showing them it was just water, was a TPC course.

You are spot on.  We do nothing anymore to hide any coolers, and very rarely get asked about it.  When we do get asked, we show them it's water and that's the end of it.  Not a single course I've been on in the last year, even those with cooler signs everwhere, have told us no to bringing on our own water.

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

6 hours ago, MountainKing said:

I hear ya. I came straight from work and planned on stoping at a gas station, but I wasn’t able to.

• Like 1

Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

Just got back from Blackstone in Marengo. What a hidden gem. First time I’ve been out there. Fortunately we had an afternoon tee time. Even with the rain the course was in great shape except the sand traps which were like quicksand so we didn’t play them but you could tell on a dry day they’d be nice to play. Great variety of holes. Really fun course I’ll be heading out there again for sure.

Driver- Tour Edge EXS 220

4W- Sub 70 949X

4H- Sub 70 949X

Utility- Sub 70 699U 21 degree

Irons- Sub 70 749 5-PW

Wedges - Sub 70 286 50+54 degree

Tour Edge 1 out 58 degree

Putter- Cleveland Huntington Beach #11

11 hours ago, MountainKing said:

My wife got me a 64 ounce lined water bottle for this reason. I fill it at home and clip it to my ClickGear with a grappling hook. It adds a fair amount of weight to my cart but on a hot day it lasts for 18 holes. 

• Like 1

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

Heritage Oaks this afternoon. Our group was delayed by almost an hour (lightning in the area), but after the warning was cleared and rain stopped, it was pretty smooth sailing.  I think I played the course few years ago, but didn’t remember a single hole.  Despite rain , the course was very playable (I guess the drainage work they recently did works as expected).  Some of the bunkers had some standing water and were borderline unplayable, but other than that, no complaints. Weird arse round - the driver was off (or in some cases way off), had two way miss going, irons were terrible, yet the putter saved me (at least on the front 9).  8 pars and a bogey - 36.  Things got worse on the back 9 - putter abandoned me, and the tee to green didn’t improve - 42, for a smooth 78.  I don’t think I’ve ever hit this many flop shots - pretty much every miss was on the wrong side of the green.    
Overall, pretty neat place. 

Chit load of Maltbys - TS2 irons, KE4 TC Driver & 4 wood, TSW 54* & 60* wedges, PTM5 Mallet putter

Ranking the top 100 continued yesterday at Pinecrest.  Very impressed!  First time out there so wasn't too sure what to expect, I kind of figured a nicer version of Bloomingdale, which is pretty much what it was.  The houses are set far enough off the course that they really don't bother you.  Tee boxes were perfect and flat.   Fairways were a little shaggy but in nice shape and the greens were also nearly perfect.  You could really get into some tree trouble on some holes, but I guess golf is not supposed to be easy.  We held off around hole 6 while the lighting passed and still finished in just under 4 hours.  The clubhouse and 19th were fairly nice.  Nice value for $60ish on a weekend.

3 hours ago, Shriner said:

Ranking the top 100 continued yesterday at Pinecrest.  Very impressed!  First time out there so wasn't too sure what to expect, I kind of figured a nicer version of Bloomingdale, which is pretty much what it was.  The houses are set far enough off the course that they really don't bother you.  Tee boxes were perfect and flat.   Fairways were a little shaggy but in nice shape and the greens were also nearly perfect.  You could really get into some tree trouble on some holes, but I guess golf is not supposed to be easy.  We held off around hole 6 while the lighting passed and still finished in just under 4 hours.  The clubhouse and 19th were fairly nice.  Nice value for $60ish on a weekend.

Did you notice they have Kentucky bluegrass fairways? One of the only courses around here that does. You get little roll off the driver, but the ball sits up nicely in the fairway like a little tee.

Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

Our comp played Foxford Hills yesterday, battling a steady rain that lasted until 17 when it stopped, and became a sunny, beautiful day.  Except for the quicksand pits, the course was very playable.  The rains slowed some of the greens down, depending on the pin position. The rain gloves went on at the range and didn't come off until finishing on 18.

We haven't played a round at FF in at least 5 years without rain, thunderstorms, etc.  Several years ago playing there and walking in due to lightening, as I was walking up 18, I felt the hair on the back of my neck go up and sure enough, lightening hit a tree about 25 feet away.  Thankfully I had a change of boxers in the car.  Closest I've ever come to being hit.

Next competitive round is at Deere Run, the Saturday after the tournament ends.  Love the course and always appreciate the chance to play it in near tour event conditions.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Holy Moses said:

Did you notice they have Kentucky bluegrass fairways? One of the only courses around here that does. You get little roll off the driver, but the ball sits up nicely in the fairway like a little tee.

So true.   Every iron in the fairway was easy to hit flush.  Now hitting in straight was another story....

• Like 1

yesterday at SV was a fun experience.

the early morning weather was just perfect, light breeze included at no extra charge, and the pullovers came off by number six.

we were paired with two guys from opposite sides of the age range and they were both good players and great company.

light rain didn't begin until were heading up seventeen so weather didn't affect us.

we did see a few riding players, older, that shut down their game once the real rain began.

keep in mind no lightning alert sounded. they just don't play when it's wet.

had an @DavePelz4 moment heading down number five fairway when two errand drives from number two came past.

there is a pretty large ridge separating those fairways. you need a decent slice to come over. (I know) .

the second one almost clipped me.  no warning cry from those guys.

I placed it on a tee and continued on. few minutes later that foursome came rumbling by.

the player walked over to his ball. played it like nothing unusual happened and didn't give our group, now at the green, a glance.

so it goes.

• Like 2

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

TM FlexTech Lite/Titleist StaDry

Back out to Stonehenge today to kick off round 1 of match play for their club championship.  Course was in good shape again, greens were a little slower from yesterdays rains but rolled great.  Pace was just under 4 hours, which tends to be a bit on the slow side there.  

My game was a real struggle today, just wasn't hitting anything solid. Went as much as 3 down on the front, but managed to scramble a bit on the back to win 3&2.  Solid Sunday afternoon, hopefully for the next round i can actually hit a golf ball solid.

• Like 3

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

11 minutes ago, JaySub70 said:

Hey everybody I hope you all had great weekends and got a round or two of golf in. I've contributed here over the years under a different account and just wanted to share some info on an outing we (Sub 70) are hosting out at Prairie Landing. It's a 1pm shotgun shamble on Friday, August 5th. It should be a great time. You can find more info at https://www.golfsub70.com/sub-70-golf-outing.html and if you have any questions just let us know. Thanks!

Hopefully Sub 70 is the age requirement and not the score requirement as I'd only qualify on the former.

• Like 1

As DP4 mentioned, Foxford Hills this past weekend, and it wouldn't be Foxford without some sort of weather factor. Every time we've played there we've either nearly been killed by lightning and/or tornadoes or been roasted with 100* temps. This time was just a steady rain most of the round. Not too bad not to play in, but just enough to impact play. Each time I took my rain jacket off the rain came back, so I guess that's on me. Course still rain out plenty though, and the greens still ran surprisingly quick, although the back 9 felt slower than the front, and greens 15 and 17 got bogged down with collecting water that made putting a challenge. My only complaint was the bunkers, lots of rocks, and big ones too. That and the $7 hot dogs.

• Like 1

Drama aplenty at Cog Hill #1 yesterday morning.

As we were hitting our shots to the 9th green, one of our foursome hooked his shot left into the trees where the group ahead were walking towards the 10th tee. A few very loud yells of "FORE!" were unleashed as the group ducked for cover. The ball ended up hitting nowhere close anyway. Then it started at decibel levels louder than a 747 flying by. "WTF?! Can't you even wait 2 seconds until we get away from the green?" (It was a minute.) "Why even bother yelling fore? Next time just hit us FFS! WTF is your problem? We can't move any f**ken faster?" And on and off it went for a good five minutes mostly as the rest of us were about to play our shots. It was unbelievable. Anyone within a few hundred yards could hear this. Players on the 4th green/5th tee stood there dumbfounded as well. Rattled us all. Young-ish guy probably around 30. His playing partners tried to calm him down to no effect. Finally when we got to the green and we were still copping it all, my buddy yelled back... "Here's what you need to do. Grab a club out of your bag, call 911 now and come on over here." That was apparently enough for the dumbwit to STFU. At that point, we just waited on the 9th green until the whole group was well away down the 11th, well clear. So that, and no beverage cart was a bummer.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

[size=3]Vapor Speed Driver
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 13* FW[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 15* FW[/size]
[size=3]Cobra King Pro Forged Black CB/MB 4-PW[/size]
[size=3]Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 52/9, [/size][size=3]56/10, [/size][size=3]60/9[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade TP Collection Berwick
[size=3]BOOM![/size]

3 hours ago, JaySub70 said:

Hey everybody I hope you all had great weekends and got a round or two of golf in. I've contributed here over the years under a different account and just wanted to share some info on an outing we (Sub 70) are hosting out at Prairie Landing. It's a 1pm shotgun shamble on Friday, August 5th. It should be a great time. You can find more info at https://www.golfsub70.com/sub-70-golf-outing.html and if you have any questions just let us know. Thanks!

Were you the dude out to dinner with your family at PL a few months back while my buddy and I were talking your ear off?  

• Like 1

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

1 hour ago, B-Man said:

As we were hitting our shots to the 9th green, one of our foursome hooked his shot left into the trees where the group ahead were walking towards the 10th tee. A few very loud yells of "FORE!" were unleashed as the group ducked for cover. The ball ended up hitting nowhere close anyway. Then it started at decibel levels louder than a 747 flying by. "WTF?! Can't you even wait 2 seconds until we get away from the green?" (It was a minute.) "Why even bother yelling fore? Next time just hit us FFS! WTF is your problem? We can't move any f**ken faster?" And on and off it went for a good five minutes mostly as the rest of us were about to play our shots. It was unbelievable. Anyone within a few hundred yards could hear this. Players on the 4th green/5th tee stood there dumbfounded as well. Rattled us all. Young-ish guy probably around 30. His playing partners tried to calm him down to no effect. Finally when we got to the green and we were still copping it all, my buddy yelled back... "Here's what you need to do. Grab a club out of your bag, call 911 now and come on over here." That was apparently enough for the dumbwit to STFU. At that point, we just waited on the 9th green until the whole group was well away down the 11th, well clear. So that, and no beverage cart was a bummer.

Yikes, that is scary how some people cannot control their temper.  If you go to a golf course, this is a possibility and it sounds like you guys handled it as well as you could.  

Oddly enough, I hit someone for the first time in my life last year.  6i on a course I had not played before, pushed to the right into trees but there happens to be a green over there.  I scream fore and head up to look for my ball.  Instead, we find a guy rolling in pain on the ground with a big welt on his knee.  His friends were just watching so we called the clubhouse to come get him.  I felt awful for the rest of the round.

2 hours ago, B-Man said:

That sucks. I feel like in the little golf I've played the past 2 years that the anger and posturing has increased considerably, and in that small sample size it's generally from the crowd of golfers slightly younger than myself that this guy would likely fall into. Had a near run-in with that crowd ourselves on Saturday, completely unnecessary.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, VNutz said:

That sucks. I feel like in the little golf I've played the past 2 years that the anger and posturing has increased considerably, and in that small sample size it's generally from the crowd of golfers slightly younger than myself that this guy would likely fall into. Had a near run-in with that crowd ourselves on Saturday, completely unnecessary.

Saturdays are for the boys. Thankfully, I'm usually packing up the trunk when I see these bros in the parking lot ready to tear up the course.

• Like 3

Titleist TSR2 10*
Titleist TSi2 18*

Titleist 816 H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Teramo