2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round 3)

stasek

12 hours ago, zer0 said:

the initiation fee is only $325.00?      That's even lower than what it cost me to join Lawsonia which is public.

How much are the greens fees and cart fees?

I don't remember all of them but prime time weekend with a cart is $50, that's the max.  Since it's a daily fee you get to go around again if you want.   The weekday rates are really reasonable, but being 45 minutes away I never play there weekdays.

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

11 hours ago, MountainKing said:

I don't remember all of them but prime time weekend with a cart is $50, that's the max.  Since it's a daily fee you get to go around again if you want.   The weekday rates are really reasonable, but being 45 minutes away I never play there weekdays.

I don't understand how it's so cheap.   $325 to join and then just $50 to play the course with a cart?      Why wouldn't everyone within an hour join?     Even if you only make it out there 1-2x per month it's still a bargain.

I live in Deerfield and might join.

Is it packed?  Can you get on the course?  With those fees I would imagine there must be people lined up to belong to the course.

4 hours ago, zer0 said:

I don't understand how it's so cheap.   $325 to join and then just $50 to play the course with a cart?      Why wouldn't everyone within an hour join?     Even if you only make it out there 1-2x per month it's still a bargain.

I live in Deerfield and might join.

Is it packed?  Can you get on the course?  With those fees I would imagine there must be people lined up to belong to the course.

It's very minimal experience.  They have permanent times Sat/Sun morning until about 10am, but you can often find times before then since there's generally cancellations.  Twilight hours the course is dead.  They also have a cap on membership so the course is rarely overloaded.  It's generally a two year wait once you sign up.  You can also play Old Wayne with the membership, but that's not really a selling point.  

• Like 1

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

On 9/15/2022 at 11:02 AM, Phreddy said:

An Arizona friend and his wife will be in Chicago a couple weeks from now.  My wife and I are meeting them "half way" for dinner one night.  Some where north in that Northbook/Deerfield/Lake Forest corridor.  I'm in need of upscale restaurant suggestions.  Italian being my favorite.  Since he and I will talk golf while our wives talk pickle ball I thought this was a legit place to ask😇.

Not sure if Long Grove is too far, but we just had a really nice meal at Enzo and Lucia a few weeks ago. They had a scallop risotto which was amazing. 

• Like 1

On 9/22/2022 at 3:39 PM, MountainKing said:

It's very minimal experience.  They have permanent times Sat/Sun morning until about 10am, but you can often find times before then since there's generally cancellations.  Twilight hours the course is dead.  They also have a cap on membership so the course is rarely overloaded.  It's generally a two year wait once you sign up.  You can also play Old Wayne with the membership, but that's not really a selling point.  

Wish I would have known about that when I was living in Wauconda a few years back. Sounds like a great place. 

Getting an early morning tee time in September is getting almost impossible. Bear and I ended up slumming it at Scherwood today. Speaking of minimal experiences. Scherwood is pretty much always a pit so the fact that it was playing firm and fast and the greens weren’t holding anything was a huge shock. I’ve only played that course maybe 7 or 8 times but never as bone dry and challenging as today. Iffy ball striking didn’t make things easier. Lots of bogies and no birds for a 78. 

• Like 3

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

Played in a scramble today at Prairie Landing.   Normally not a fan,  especially one where it's on the honor system.   Always seems like a group of bogey golfers come in with a score of 20 under.  Anyway,  I went cause we had a solid group with a +2, a 2, a 3 and a 5.  We figure we had it in the bag.  Turns out it doesn't matter how many great shots are hit if nobody can putt.  We had 16 birdie looks inside of 15 feet,  one eagle look of 10 ft and second eagle look of 20 ft. Not sure who won,  but our 7 under surely had no chance.   What a let down. 

Course itself was fine, but the real winner was 24 groups going out in a shotgun and the round taking 4:15.  With the weather turning,  I'm probably down to my final couple rounds. We'll see. 

• Like 2

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

First ever round at Willow Crest in OakBrook.  I totally understand why this is the only course with open tee times on the weekend.  Conditions were fine in fairways.  Bunkers were unplayable and massive risk of bodily harm or club wreckage...never seen rocks that large in bunkers.  Greens were pretty good, no complaints.   The real winner was the layout, that is just silly target golf.  No desire to go back...lol.  That said, my son and I passed two groups and finished in 2:45 so we had a great time.

5 hours ago, Shriner said:

First ever round at Willow Crest in OakBrook.  I totally understand why this is the only course with open tee times on the weekend.  Conditions were fine in fairways.  Bunkers were unplayable and massive risk of bodily harm or club wreckage...never seen rocks that large in bunkers.  Greens were pretty good, no complaints.   The real winner was the layout, that is just silly target golf.  No desire to go back...lol.  That said, my son and I passed two groups and finished in 2:45 so we had a great time.

I've played WC 100+ rounds due to where I live (and my dislike for oak brook),  never got the feeling of it being target golf,  let alone silly.   I will agree that conditions have gotten bad,  especially with the pending sale, but it's always been a fairly fun layout with plenty of risk/reward and numerous ways to play the course. 

Edited by MountainKing
  • Like 1

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

8 hours ago, MountainKing said:

I've played WC 100+ rounds due to where I live (and my dislike for oak brook),  never got the feeling of it being target golf,  let alone silly.   I will agree that conditions have gotten bad,  especially with the pending sale, but it's always been a fairly fun layout with plenty of risk/reward and numerous ways to play the course. 

Selling just the course or the entire property?

1 hour ago, Shriner said:

Selling just the course or the entire property?

Basically the back 9.  I guess it hasn't gone through yet or hit some potential road blocks with the village.  I can't remember what I was last told and I feel like I'm mixing up things between WC, Calumet and Gleneagles.  From what I do remember, if it goes through they need to redesign/route a bit of the front and will be adding a nice driving range.  If it doesn't go, through they'll fix the course up.   I'm kind of hoping for the second option, my options for places under 10 minutes to me are Oak Brook, Fresh Meadows and this.  With my office in Downers and WC being on the way home, I can generally be on the first tee by 3pm during the summer, so it's got a nice convenience factor for me.  Oak Brook I can't stand and you're fighting a lot of leagues and other things out there on weekdays. 

• Like 2

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

6 minutes ago, Shriner said:

Yep, we always call that area the dead zone for golf.  One of my best friends finally moved from the Westchester area.

It really is, if you expand things to 15-20 minutes you start opening up a lot more, but it also turns into a not totally ideal since I generally am trying to beat the 3:30-4pm after work rush it seems like you get around here.   I do end up hitting up the Preserve a lot as well, and joined the Dupage membership so I can get on for $60 instead of the usually 10 million they charge.  

• Like 1

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

Made the trek out to Prairie Landing today... wish I hadn't. 

Tee time was 1:20. For some reason, the first tee was backed up and there were not one but two foursomes in front of me (a single) waiting to tee off. Finally got on the box around 1:40. Finished 9 at 4:30. Three hours and 10 minutes after when I was supposed to tee off. I went home at the turn - wasn't worth the frustration plus it was cold as f*** and the wind was whipping pretty good out there. I hope the foursomes in front of me were playing for some big cash because it took alot of restraint not to intentionally start hitting into them. 

Despite the frustration above - I did enjoy the layout. Found the bunkering to be mostly irrelevant - anything in the fairway is flyable easily from the gold tees. Greens are not heavily bunkered IMO. The pin placements today were tough - the pin on #1 I would almost call diabolical. I couldn't believe my second shot literally spun almost off the green from landing about pin high and within 5 feet. For some reason, I particularly enjoyed #9 - the high risk / reward tee shot straight over the tree on the left was super fun, left me about 100 yards in. 

• Sad 1

18 hours ago, RGlaze978 said:

Made the trek out to Prairie Landing today... wish I hadn't. 

Tee time was 1:20. For some reason, the first tee was backed up and there were not one but two foursomes in front of me (a single) waiting to tee off. Finally got on the box around 1:40. Finished 9 at 4:30. Three hours and 10 minutes after when I was supposed to tee off. I went home at the turn - wasn't worth the frustration plus it was cold as f*** and the wind was whipping pretty good out there. I hope the foursomes in front of me were playing for some big cash because it took alot of restraint not to intentionally start hitting into them. 

Despite the frustration above - I did enjoy the layout. Found the bunkering to be mostly irrelevant - anything in the fairway is flyable easily from the gold tees. Greens are not heavily bunkered IMO. The pin placements today were tough - the pin on #1 I would almost call diabolical. I couldn't believe my second shot literally spun almost off the green from landing about pin high and within 5 feet. For some reason, I particularly enjoyed #9 - the high risk / reward tee shot straight over the tree on the left was super fun, left me about 100 yards in. 

PL used to be infested with bunkers everywhere.  They got smart, and took a lot of them out, something I wish more courses would do if they're going to elect to not maintain them.  The course itself for sure plays shorter than the stated yardage due to being able to take some more agressive lines and some of those downhill kicks you get in the fairway.  If you can fly it 260, it's a good course to play from the back/7000, it opens up a new challange of having to nagivate those fairway bunkers, while still being extremely playable.  I generally like to play places at abou 6600 thees days, but that's one where I'll move back.  

Bummer about your pace, it sounds like you got that 6 hour round I was expecting from our Sunday scramble.  The one downside to that place, the staff there is one of the worst in the area's and probably aren't willing to do much when things go south, they sure don't do much to try to retain business yet I keep going back. 

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

53 minutes ago, FuzzyKnuckles said:

Grass driving range recommendations between O’Hare and Wrigley?

To be honest I'm not sure one exists. That area is kind of a golf desert, and the few courses that do exist are primarily run by the Forest Preserve, which will be all mats. White Pines is just south of O'Hare, but I'm pretty sure they're mats as well, as is The Preserve. The only 2 places I know for sure you can hit on are Fresh Meadows range and Oak Brook's range, but both are probably a 20 minute drive from the airport and not between it and Wrigley. There are some private courses as well, but that's a different story.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FuzzyKnuckles said:

Grass driving range recommendations between O’Hare and Wrigley?

Your best bet is to go to Golf Center Des Plaines. It is just north of O'Hare. Less than 15 mins away.

They have grass tees. 

Titleist TSR2 10*
Titleist TSi2 18*

Titleist 816 H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Teramo

31 minutes ago, psygolf said:

If you are willing to drive out to ohare, you might as well drive the other direction to practice at Harborside

I'm guessing he might be an out-of-towner, flying into O'Hare.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR2 10*
Titleist TSi2 18*

Titleist 816 H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Teramo