2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round 3)

stasek

13 minutes ago, jimwgt26 said:

I needed to reshaft a 7i with a Project X LZ. First went to PGA SS in Vernon Hills. The club repair guy said it would take 6 months to order a custom shaft. He was jerk when I asked a follow up question so I left.

I went across the street to Golf Galaxy. The kid behind the counter suggested I look on thegolfworks.com. Easy enough, I had the shaft in 36 hours. Dropped it off last night, and they just called and said it’s ready to pick up. When I brought it in, I thought he was thorough, he measured my 8i and 6i’s and checked them for swing weight. Also looked up the manufactures specs to compare vs his analysis. Hopefully, it will be a solid job. 

... Back in the golf heyday when Golfsmith, GG and PGA SS were all within a few miles of each other in Downers Grove, I was amazed at how club repair had little to do with the facility and everything to do with the guy in charge of repair. Golfsmith had one of the best I have ever run across in a chain. But when he moved to the Schaumburg store his replacement was abysmal. Same store different employee. Just doesn't work to say PGA SS or GG sucks because some do and some don't depending on the guy in charge. Glad you found someone competent. 

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:           2024 TP5x/2023 Maxfli Tour

56 minutes ago, chisag said:

... Back in the golf heyday when Golfsmith, GG and PGA SS were all within a few miles of each other in Downers Grove, I was amazed at how club repair had little to do with the facility and everything to do with the guy in charge of repair. Golfsmith had one of the best I have ever run across in a chain. But when he moved to the Schaumburg store his replacement was abysmal. Same store different employee. Just doesn't work to say PGA SS or GG sucks because some do and some don't depending on the guy in charge. Glad you found someone competent. 

+1.

there was a long time man in charge of the repair shop at the Highland Park GS store - wonderful person.

knew repairs - reshafting - building.

shame the store closed. now it's harder to find places that have the knowledge, ability and willingness.

article online at GD dot com about how much more difficult it is to find club pro/asst pro staff due to the burnout rate.

long hours/low pay/lack of appreciation.

wonder if that mirrors retail golf store employee quality/quality levels....

in other news -

this morning's delay was a bit over 2 hours.

enjoyed playing with another pair of PTT fellows.

took a few holes for our bodies to loosen up. things get stiff no matter how many balls you hit in the cage.

SV greens are almost completely healed.

advantage of a delay is you get to see a lot of gear stacked at  the clubhouse.

one nice Vessel bag with P790's, great looking kit.  player said they're forgiving on mishits.

one of our guys had PXG blades and he was rocking low bullet shots with them. good driver hits with a TM something.

highlight was seeing a serious 40' uphill putt go in like a snake charmer was playing in the background.

we made it in 3:30.  respectable for some ancient sages dragging a younger guy around. 

• Like 3

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

TM FlexTech Lite/Titleist StaDry

Played Bull Valley today. Cold start (and a little delayed for frost), but I really enjoyed it. The greens were pretty much healed up and rolling great. The course is tight, and I got bit by a lack of course knowledge on a hole or two, but overall it was a fair challenge. It felt weird playing on the fourth tees up (gold), but given the rating, slope and yardage, it was actually about right. Definitely go if you get the chance.  

• Like 3

13 hours ago, m052310 said:

Played Bull Valley today. Cold start (and a little delayed for frost), but I really enjoyed it. The greens were pretty much healed up and rolling great. The course is tight, and I got bit by a lack of course knowledge on a hole or two, but overall it was a fair challenge. It felt weird playing on the fourth tees up (gold), but given the rating, slope and yardage, it was actually about right. Definitely go if you get the chance.  

Two guys at my firm are members so I've seen the course a good number of times. It can really bite you if you're not playing the correct tees. Conditions are usually really good as well. Glad you enjoyed it.

Had a noon time at Schaumburg yesterday.   Pace was excellent for a Sunday afternoon, minimal waiting every hole and finished in about 4:10 minutes.  You know what you are getting when you go to Schaumburg.  Teeboxes/Fairways were perfect and greens were fairly good...only issue was some inconsistency in speeds between the greens.  I got bit hard by the Bermuda Triangle in between holes 11 and 12 (Baer) where the grass is taller, thicker, leaves are falling and it is a chore to find your tee shot.  I took a penalty on hole 11 after a couple of minutes of searching and got lucky and found my tee shot on 12.  Just an incredible day of golf and hoping to get a few more of these in on the weekends.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RGlaze978 said:

Played Coyote Run on Sunday, first time out there, fun layout. 

Playing Butterfield CC tomorrow. 

Bunkers everywhere at Butterfield. Awesome course. Membership is a little up its own a** but I’ve seen far more pretentious clubs. 

• Like 1

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

Played Belmont (Ashburn, VA) and North Hills (Menomonee Falls, WI) last week.  This Saturday afternoon it'll be my first time playing Marovitz.  I'm excited!

Edited by bjorn240

Ping G425 Max 10.5˚

Ping G425 Max 5W 17.5˚
Ping G425 Hybrid 22˚
Titleist 714 AP2 4i-PW, XP105 
Titleist Vokey SM8 50F, 54S
Ping ChipR
Ping Karsten Anser / TaylorMade Spider GT Notchback

Ping Hoofer Lite

Youth hockey lefties unite!

14 hours ago, bjorn240 said:

Played Balmoral (Ashburn, VA) and North Hills (Menomonee Falls, WI) last week.  This Saturday afternoon it'll be my first time playing Marovitz.  I'm excited!

It might take you longer to play nine at Marovitz than 18 at North Hills. But enjoy. 

Piretti Cottonwood II

27 minutes ago, ldchristopher said:

It might take you longer to play nine at Marovitz than 18 at North Hills. But enjoy. 

That would be quite the experience!  I only started playing this summer and it feels like living in Chicago, I should play it at least once.  It's scenic at a minimum.  I plan to walk and I don't have any real expectations other than having a good time (ok getting around in 50 would be nice).  I've got a 3:03 tee time, so hopefully we're done by dark?  LOL.  

• Like 2

Ping G425 Max 10.5˚

Ping G425 Max 5W 17.5˚
Ping G425 Hybrid 22˚
Ping ChipR

Ping Hoofer Lite

11 hours ago, bjorn240 said:

That would be quite the experience!  I only started playing this summer and it feels like living in Chicago, I should play it at least once.  It's scenic at a minimum.  I plan to walk and I don't have any real expectations other than having a good time (ok getting around in 50 would be nice).  I've got a 3:03 tee time, so hopefully we're done by dark?  LOL.  

Marovitz had come a long way. Back in the day everyone had to tee off mats and the course was a complete dump. The Park District sunk some money into it and it’s become the busiest nine hole course in the area. I’d suggest also playing Jackson Park and South Shore to get the full Chicago golf experience except the construction for the Obama Library has made South Lake Shore Drive a mess from 57th on. I guess you can still play Robert Black but that’s not going to have the lakefront views of Marovitz or South Shore or the history of JP (oldest public course in the Midwest). 

• Like 3

Piretti Cottonwood II

12 hours ago, ldchristopher said:

I’d suggest also playing Jackson Park and South Shore to get the full Chicago golf experience except the construction for the Obama Library has made South Lake Shore Drive a mess from 57th on. I guess you can still play Robert Black but that’s not going to have the lakefront views of Marovitz or South Shore or the history of JP (oldest public course in the Midwest). 

Thanks - I appreciate the recommendations.  I'll definitely play Robert Black this season as I live in Andersonville, so very close to me.  I'd like to get out at JP and South Shore too - hopefully this year.  Just have to balance it with steelhead fishing...

Ping G425 Max 10.5˚

Ping G425 Max 5W 17.5˚
Ping G425 Hybrid 22˚
Ping ChipR

Ping Hoofer Lite

Wild and wacky day yesterday at Highlands of Elgin.  I sincerely questioned what we were doing while walking to the 1st tee.  In a moment of honesty, probably would have cancelled the round if it wasn't for playing with a great friend and being such a nice course with a 19th hole I was looking forward to before the round even started.  We knew, or thought we knew, that we would have the course to ourselves so could not believe there was an actual starter at the 1st tee.  LOL, did you have 10 other golfers all day in this windstorm?  Amazing service considering Oak Grove doesn't have a starter in the middle of the summer with a "packed" tee sheet!  

We somehow ended up behind the only other two people who seemed crazy enough to be playing golf yesterday.  We waited on every shot from 4-6 and then they let us through.  It was a gift from above because we could not have waited all day.   Finished at 3:02 minutes...awesome.

This was the definition of unplayable.  Wind gusts so strong that balls were moving on the greens, yardage meaning absolutely nothing and a course that is challenging without wind.  To top it off, the greens were punched this week (which we knew).  Three foot putts were less than 50/50 propositions with the ball plinko'ing towards the hole and wind blowing it off target...hilarious.  I keep a spreadsheet and my average putts per round this year is 31.871; yesterday was 39.  These are actual shots from yesterday:  Hole 8...110 to hole, hit PW which normally goes 140, 5 feet short of green.  Hole 11...146 in, hit PW, flies the green at 160.  Hole 12, 100 yards in, hit 9i as I learned my lesson, pin high.  Hole 14...144 in, hit 7i which goes 170, on green but short of hole and this was flushed.  That is honestly the best 89 of my life.

Somehow, someway, I continually forget how perfect this course is...conditions, layout, cost...just awesome.  And yes...the 19th did not disappoint...excellent food and atmosphere.

• Like 4

On 10/12/2022 at 9:07 PM, ldchristopher said:

Marovitz had come a long way. Back in the day everyone had to tee off mats and the course was a complete dump. The Park District sunk some money into it and it’s become the busiest nine hole course in the area. I’d suggest also playing Jackson Park and South Shore to get the full Chicago golf experience except the construction for the Obama Library has made South Lake Shore Drive a mess from 57th on. I guess you can still play Robert Black but that’s not going to have the lakefront views of Marovitz or South Shore or the history of JP (oldest public course in the Midwest). 

Marovitz, or Waveland, is now a home site for The First Tee of Greater Chicago

they just opened their practice facility there last month 

looks impressive 

https://firstteegreaterchicago.org/waveland-youth-facility/

Edited by geochitown
  • Like 1

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

7 hours ago, Shriner said:

Wild and wacky day yesterday at Highlands of Elgin.  I sincerely questioned what we were doing while walking to the 1st tee.  In a moment of honesty, probably would have cancelled the round if it wasn't for playing with a great friend and being such a nice course with a 19th hole I was looking forward to before the round even started.  We knew, or thought we knew, that we would have the course to ourselves so could not believe there was an actual starter at the 1st tee.  LOL, did you have 10 other golfers all day in this windstorm?  Amazing service considering Oak Grove doesn't have a starter in the middle of the summer with a "packed" tee sheet!  

Highlands of Elgin is a municipal course. It’s always filled with a patronage army of boomers. Tax dollars at work. Oak Grove is more of a one person operation. I’m assuming the guy in the pro shop (when it’s being used) also cuts the grass and changes the holes. 

Piretti Cottonwood II

23 minutes ago, m052310 said:

Ravisloe tomorrow - any words of wisdom?

Stay under the hole on the 3rd.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

[size=3]Vapor Speed Driver
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 13* FW[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 15* FW[/size]
[size=3]Cobra King Pro Forged Black CB/MB 4-PW[/size]
[size=3]Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 52/9, [/size][size=3]56/10, [/size][size=3]60/9[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade TP Collection Berwick
[size=3]BOOM![/size]

13 hours ago, psygolf said:

Almost drove thru the bridge on #11 ...see little ball.

😀

DFFCECAC-6C80-40F2-957D-987D5225DD49.jpeg

lighten things up on the equipment forum -

what wedge grind is recommended for that lie?

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

TM FlexTech Lite/Titleist StaDry

9 hours ago, m052310 said:

Ravisloe tomorrow - any words of wisdom?

For a Ross design the greens at Ravisloe aren't overly tricky, but there are a few that have some teeth. Stay to the right on the 2nd to avoid tree trouble. On the par 5 3rd, stay below the hole. 'Probably don't need driver on the narrow fairway unless you really think you can go for it in two. The par 3 4th has a very narrow green that's well protected. I try to play for the front of the green. Long iron or hybrid on the 5th to the corner of the dogleg. Otherwise it's fairly straightforward.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Played Ravisloe today. Struck me as kind of eh. In fairness, not my type of course, and my playing partners made the day a struggle (super nice guys, just... not really ready for a full 18 on a weekend). I'd play it again, but I don't think it'd be worth the drive down from the northern burbs for me most of the time. Too much decent golf up this way.   

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, m052310 said:

Played Ravisloe today. Struck me as kind of eh. In fairness, not my type of course, and my playing partners made the day a struggle (super nice guys, just... not really ready for a full 18 on a weekend). I'd play it again, but I don't think it'd be worth the drive down from the northern burbs for me most of the time. Too much decent golf up this way.   

Ravisloe doesn't offer much variety from tee to green.   A lot of 400 yard, straight par 4s.  The greens are really what make it, and like Arg said,  it's not DRs best work.    It's by far the weakest course in that little corridor of Calumet, Idlewild, Flossmore and Olympia. 

• Like 3

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

1 hour ago, m052310 said:

I’ve never thought much of Ravisloe. The greens don’t move that much, the 3’s are pedestrian, and the only long 4 on the whole course was extended and turned into a short 5. Like MountainKing said, it’s the least impressive of the parkland courses in that area. But it is a place one can go low. 

• Like 1

Piretti Cottonwood II