2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round 3)

stasek

17 hours ago, MountainKing said:

Ravisloe doesn't offer much variety from tee to green.   A lot of 400 yard, straight par 4s.  The greens are really what make it, and like Arg said,  it's not DRs best work.    It's by far the weakest course in that little corridor of Calumet, Idlewild, Flossmore and Olympia. 

Calumet doesn't belong on this list. Ravisloe is better layout, they are both distant from this list though. 

Ravisloe, is just ok. I'd imagine back in the private days, in pristine condition, that old clubhouse etc it was a fun day. I never really thought the drive from Naperville was all that worth it though.  Ross fanboys are the reason it has any hype. 

43 minutes ago, mci711 said:

Calumet doesn't belong on this list. Ravisloe is better layout, they are both distant from this list though. 

Ravisloe, is just ok. I'd imagine back in the private days, in pristine condition, that old clubhouse etc it was a fun day. I never really thought the drive from Naperville was all that worth it though.  Ross fanboys are the reason it has any hype. 

No way Ravisloe is a better layout.  Calumet has a much better variety through its course.  9 of the par 4s are straight and 400 yards. Other than 5 and 18, none of the holes really bend one way or another. Aftere a while you feel like you're playing the same hole over and over.   Calumet offers up some variety with yardage and doglegs. I don't need or expect to use every club in my bag,  but I could play Ravisloe with 5 clubs and be fine. 

• Like 1

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

1 hour ago, B-Man said:

First time out at Pine Meadow yesterday morning. I like it. In good condition too.

Used to play out there every weekend years ago.   Glad to hear it is in nice shape, definitely need to get out there next year sometime.  Always fun and fair if conditions are good. 

• Like 3

TaylorMade M5 9 degrees

Callaway X-Hot 3 Wood  14.5 degrees

Callaway Super Hybrid 18 degrees

Callaway Apex 4 Hybrid 21 degrees

Callaway Super Hybrid 24 degrees

Titleist T100  5-PW

Titleist Vokey SM6  52,58

Scotty Cameron California Coronado

2 hours ago, TBone0576 said:

Used to play out there every weekend years ago.   Glad to hear it is in nice shape, definitely need to get out there next year sometime.  Always fun and fair if conditions are good. 

I recommend getting on their email list. They have been doing a nice job communicating when they are punching the greens lately. That's important, because when they punch at Pine Meadow, they use the quarter size punches and the greens are basically unplayable after. And, they tend to punch pretty often, compared to other courses around here.

FYI, they are not punching this fall.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR2 10*
Titleist TSi2 18*

Titleist 816 H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Teramo

Anyone here played or have a connection to Ruth Lake Country Club in Hinsdale? I am in the middle of trying to figure out which local club I am going to join this spring and my wife is very interested in this club. Unfortunately, I have zero connections there unlike Butterfield, Edgewood, and Highlands in the area. 

If anyone has played Ruth Lake, I'd appreciate a comparison to some of the local clubs as well. Seems very similar to Edgewood. 

Edited by RGlaze978

4 hours ago, RGlaze978 said:

Anyone here played or have a connection to Ruth Lake Country Club in Hinsdale? I am in the middle of trying to figure out which local club I am going to join this spring and my wife is very interested in this club. Unfortunately, I have zero connections there unlike Butterfield, Edgewood, and Highlands in the area. 

If anyone has played Ruth Lake, I'd appreciate a comparison to some of the local clubs as well. Seems very similar to Edgewood. 

I don't have any connections,  but have played it.  If your options include Butterfield, it's a waste of time to even talk about Ruth.

• Like 1

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

2 hours ago, MountainKing said:

I don't have any connections,  but have played it.  If your options include Butterfield, it's a waste of time to even talk about Ruth.

Butterfield playing privilege's are draconian while you're waiting to convert from in-waiting to full-member. 

On 10/12/2022 at 9:34 AM, ldchristopher said:

It might take you longer to play nine at Marovitz than 18 at North Hills. But enjoy. 

Update.  I played Marovitz on Saturday.  Had so much fun I went back on Sunday.  Being able to play 9 holes on the lake 10 minutes from my house is pretty amazing actually.  It may not be "fancy" golf, but I thought it was great.

• Like 4

Ping G425 Max 10.5˚

Ping G425 Max 5W 17.5˚
Ping G425 Hybrid 22˚
Titleist 714 AP2 4i-PW, XP105 
Titleist Vokey SM8 50F, 54S
Ping ChipR
Ping Karsten Anser / TaylorMade Spider GT Notchback

Ping Hoofer Lite

Youth hockey lefties unite!

19 hours ago, RGlaze978 said:

Butterfield playing privilege's are draconian while you're waiting to convert from in-waiting to full-member. 

And that’s just the way they like it. 

• Like 1

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

21 hours ago, RGlaze978 said:

Yeah but if it's BCC vs Ruth Lake, then it's worth the wait... Glen Oak CC is the same way right now. Basically have to be friends or get to know members to golf while you wait to be full golf.

Edited by cpeck12

Titleist TSi2 Titleist TS2 3w Titleist TS2 Hybrid Titleist T100 5-PW Titleist 718 T-MB 4i Vokey SM8 50*, 56*, 60* Scotty Cameron TeI3 Newport

19 hours ago, cpeck12 said:

Yeah but if it's BCC vs Ruth Lake, then it's worth the wait... Glen Oak CC is the same way right now. Basically have to be friends or get to know members to golf while you wait to be full golf.

That's kind of what I was trying to say, but I'm a terrible wordssmith.   Butterfield is another level, it's a course that you'd be hard pressed to get sick of playing over and over, especially sine they have 27 holes.  Given the course and the grounds, it's a course that could hold a PGA event tomorrow, hell it probably could host a major if it wanted.   Regardless of the hoops, if you have the money to do it and the opportunity to, it'd be foolish not to.  

Anyway, I was out at Eagle Ride this week just getting away and reconnecting a bit with my lady without the everyday noise.  I was hoping to get a round in but of course the weather decided to do it's thing.  Despite the general being a top course in the state, never really viewed as a place I must go play.  After seeing a glimpse of some of it, the south and the north courses as well, I think I'm gonna change my perspective on that.   

• Like 1

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

30 minutes ago, MountainKing said:

That's kind of what I was trying to say, but I'm a terrible wordssmith.   Butterfield is another level, it's a course that you'd be hard pressed to get sick of playing over and over, especially sine they have 27 holes.  Given the course and the grounds, it's a course that could hold a PGA event tomorrow, hell it probably could host a major if it wanted.   Regardless of the hoops, if you have the money to do it and the opportunity to, it'd be foolish not to.  

Anyway, I was out at Eagle Ride this week just getting away and reconnecting a bit with my lady without the everyday noise.  I was hoping to get a round in but of course the weather decided to do it's thing.  Despite the general being a top course in the state, never really viewed as a place I must go play.  After seeing a glimpse of some of it, the south and the north courses as well, I think I'm gonna change my perspective on that.   

The kicker on BCC is that 1) Playing privileges while waiting is limited to 1 foursome after Labor Day per year, 2) There is no way to tell where you are on the waiting list, and 3) There are rumors that the waiting list changes dynamically, take that however you will. 

1 hour ago, MountainKing said:

Big fan of Eagle Ridge and think the South Course is the toughest on the property.  It can just be unforgiving.  Overall, for a golf weekend, you couldn't find many better in IL than ER.

Edited by DavePelz4
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, DavePelz4 said:

Big fan of Eagle Ridge and think the South Course is the toughest on the property.  It can just be unforgiving.  Overall, for a golf weekend, you couldn't find many better in IL than ER.

... Always worth the drive for me. Hard to find those kinds of elevation changes anywhere near Chicago. Really like the South Course and love the General. North Course is more of a wide open resort course and is OK but when staying there we rarely played it. 

• Like 4

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:           2024 TP5x/2023 Maxfli Tour

1 hour ago, RGlaze978 said:

The kicker on BCC is that 1) Playing privileges while waiting is limited to 1 foursome after Labor Day per year, 2) There is no way to tell where you are on the waiting list, and 3) There are rumors that the waiting list changes dynamically, take that however you will. 

If it's not what you want then go for Ruth Lake, but if you have an in at Butterfield it'd be odd not taking it, and just dealign with it until your in.  Many look for an in there for years and never find it. I know members at a majority of the clubs in the area, but don't know any at Butterfield.   I've been luckily enough to play it multiple times through differente tournaments and charity events over the years.  I'm not sure how other courses are with waiting lists, but I can't see them being total free for alls while you're on it, or what'd be the point?

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

When we lived in Illinois, Eagle Ridge was one of our favorite escapes.  Especially in the fall, beautiful scenary, lots of deer running around, just a great place.

I also was able to play the General before officially opened as I worked in the golf biz back then.  Fun course, not as difficult as South, but nonetheless fun and scenic.

• Like 1

Paradym 9.5

Rogue ST Max HL 3wd (really a 4wd)

Apex Pro 21 3 & 4

Apex 21 Mixed Combo Set 5-A

Jaws 5 54* C-grind

PM Grind 2.0  58*

Odyssey Exo Mini 7s

43 minutes ago, DavePelz4 said:

Oddly it looks like it goes South/North/General from toughest to easiest based on slope/rating.  One of the managers there did say they re-did the General a while back to turn it back into a more playable course for everybody.  I guess there was a redesign at some point that made it a brutally difficult course.  While the grounds themselves were a bit dated, I was impressed with the staff, and in talking to property owners in the territory at the bar they all speak very highly of owning there and wish they had bought sooner.  

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

2 hours ago, chisag said:

... Always worth the drive for me. Hard to find those kinds of elevation changes anywhere near Chicago. Really like the South Course and love the General. North Course is more of a wide open resort course and is OK but when staying there we rarely played it. 

2 hours ago, MountainKing said:

Oddly it looks like it goes South/North/General from toughest to easiest based on slope/rating.  One of the managers there did say they re-did the General a while back to turn it back into a more playable course for everybody.  I guess there was a redesign at some point that made it a brutally difficult course.  While the grounds themselves were a bit dated, I was impressed with the staff, and in talking to property owners in the territory at the bar they all speak very highly of owning there and wish they had bought sooner.  

Sorry about double quotes, whacky web site....

I didn't know they softened the General, but doesn't surprise me, it was pretty challenging in original layout from what I remember.  Only played it couple of times, but that was 20+ years ago.

We had a fantastic Greg Norman layout here in DFW, that had to get softened, basically a redesign, as it was too hard for most players, but it was fantastic while it was there.

• Like 1

Paradym 9.5

Rogue ST Max HL 3wd (really a 4wd)

Apex Pro 21 3 & 4

Apex 21 Mixed Combo Set 5-A

Jaws 5 54* C-grind

PM Grind 2.0  58*

Odyssey Exo Mini 7s

18 minutes ago, Is Golf Fun or Work said:

I didn't know they softened the General, but doesn't surprise me, it was pretty challenging in original layout from what I remember.  Only played it couple of times, but that was 20+ years ago.

... Yea, I hate hearing that because the General was difficult but fair. And of course they have the North course for those needing something less challenging. 

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:           2024 TP5x/2023 Maxfli Tour

12 hours ago, MountainKing said:

Funny you mention Butterfield having the teeth to host an event. About 12 years ago, Butterfield did a massive redesign to improved drainage. They then unveiled a proposed 7780 yard layout that they would use for the BMW Championship. They put in a bid but, obviously, weren’t selected. Granted that was over a decade ago but since Butterfield has never hosted a tour event, it seemed like at the time membership was more open to the idea. 
Bear and I played there once about 8 years ago as a guest of my aunt. It absolutely kicked our teeth in. 

• Like 1

Piretti Cottonwood II

Was out in Galena today too, but unfortunately not for golf, but for work. I don’t work out there that often, but one of these days I’ll have to make it a two day trip and turn the extra day into some rounds of golf. Plus beats driving 2+ hours 2x in one day for a nearly 16 hour day. 

Always drive by Woodbine Bend and it looks like a nice little quaint, rolling hills golf course. 

Edited by Symphonize
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, ldchristopher said:

Funny you mention Butterfield having the teeth to host an event. About 12 years ago, Butterfield did a massive redesign to improved drainage. They then unveiled a proposed 7780 yard layout that they would use for the BMW Championship. They put in a bid but, obviously, weren’t selected. Granted that was over a decade ago but since Butterfield has never hosted a tour event, it seemed like at the time membership was more open to the idea. 
Bear and I played there once about 8 years ago as a guest of my aunt. It absolutely kicked our teeth in. 

Even at 7100 - it's tough enough to where they could host something on blue/white and still have a winning score no lower than -10.  If they utlized holes from all 3 9's they could easily put together something that could hold a US Open.  Not sure if they've decided to let having an event sail, but I'd love to see it.  Despite it never having an event, I really believe it's on of the best examples of private golf that Chicago has to offer. 

• Like 1

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

I played Bowes Creek with some friends. Things were a little backed up by a half hour because of a frost delay. Once we got started things moved okay. Course was in nice condition and the weather warmed up pretty quick. Glad I wore shorts. Not many more days like this left.

• Like 3

Driver- Tour Edge EXS 220

4W- Sub 70 949X

4H- Sub 70 949X

Utility- Sub 70 699U 21 degree

Irons- Sub 70 749 5-PW

Wedges - Sub 70 286 50+54 degree

Tour Edge 1 out 58 degree

Putter- Cleveland Huntington Beach #11

I hadn’t swung a club in two weeks so I figured I’d be loose with the driver. Hello, Ives Grove. Perfect course for wayward but playable tee shots. We played White to Blue and the greens had been punched on the first nine but not the second. Big difference but for $25 it was fine. The greens on Blue were running quick. Very un-Ives. One birdie on 7 White. Only 10 greens but my wedges were good. 75. 

• Like 2

Piretti Cottonwood II

Went out to Prarie Bluff today to play in the hurricane.  Course was in fine shape, greens rolling nice, bunkers had sand and were taken care of and pace of play was slow for Prarie but still got us through in 4 hours (I don't think I've had a round at or over 4 hours here in a couple years).  No complaints at all,  it continues to be one of the best deals in golf in this area.

Really struggled with the wind today, especially into it.  It seemed like it should have been a 2 club wind, yet when I played 2 clubs I'd find myself flying the green, when I didn't play 2 clubs I'd be short.  Just couldn't really get any good run going  The highlight was hitting hole 12 in two with a great drive and 4 iron then nailed the putt for an eagle.  Beyond that, 38 putts, and lot of bad chip shots out there for a solid 82.  You never know when the last round will be this time of year, when I play poorly I keep saying that's it, but then somebody seems to pull me back in.

• Like 2

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

1 hour ago, MountainKing said:

Went out to Prarie Bluff today to play in the hurricane.  Course was in fine shape, greens rolling nice, bunkers had sand and were taken care of and pace of play was slow for Prarie but still got us through in 4 hours (I don't think I've had a round at or over 4 hours here in a couple years).  No complaints at all,  it continues to be one of the best deals in golf in this area.

Really struggled with the wind today, especially into it.  It seemed like it should have been a 2 club wind, yet when I played 2 clubs I'd find myself flying the green, when I didn't play 2 clubs I'd be short.  Just couldn't really get any good run going  The highlight was hitting hole 12 in two with a great drive and 4 iron then nailed the putt for an eagle.  Beyond that, 38 putts, and lot of bad chip shots out there for a solid 82.  You never know when the last round will be this time of year, when I play poorly I keep saying that's it, but then somebody seems to pull me back in.

PB always feels windier than it is. I’ve had rounds there where I pull up the Weather Channel app expecting to see 30-35 mph winds. Nope. 15-20.
Supposed to be warm again tomorrow but courses are looking pretty full. 

Piretti Cottonwood II

Played Chevy Chase today. I continue to like the course. Greens were a little beat up in some spots, but OK for the time of year. I fought a hellacious slice all day, so putting was the least of my worries. Despite what the scorecard suggests, I'm calling golfing in shorts this late in the year a win. 

• Like 1