Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round 3)

stasek

17 hours ago, TheBear95 said:

Without a doubt. Some of my favorite rounds that I have played are the ones that occur early and late in the season when only the diehards are out there.

Same. Just sucks with darkness closing in on 5 now. Anything after 1:00 is a roll of the dice depending on who's out ahead of you.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, VNutz said:

Same. Just sucks with darkness closing in on 5 now. Anything after 1:00 is a roll of the dice depending on who's out ahead of you.

Yeah. This is why I prefer the early spring part of the season more than late fall. More daylight.

• Like 1

Titleist TSi3 10*
Titleist TSi3 16.5*

Titleist 818H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Cottonwood II

If anyone is playing in the Iron Man Open this Sunday at Village Links and plans to use a cart cover, just a heads up that the “typical” universal cart cover is an extremely tight fit on their new Yamaha carts. You may need some bungee cords, zip ties, S hooks, etc. to make it work.

Titleist TSi2 Titleist TS2 3w Titleist TS2 Hybrid Titleist T100 5-PW Titleist 718 T-MB 4i Vokey SM8 50*, 56*, 60* Scotty Cameron TeI3 Newport

3 hours ago, DavePelz4 said:

Wait..."Iron Men" ride?

Lol. Well, Tony does wear a climate controlled suit.

Avenger_Blog_IronMan_Imagery4-ho31fqax6.

• Like 2

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

5 hours ago, DavePelz4 said:

Wait..."Iron Men" ride?

You beat me to this DP4. Well done. 

• Like 1

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

On 11/10/2022 at 11:43 AM, cpeck12 said:

If anyone is playing in the Iron Man Open this Sunday at Village Links and plans to use a cart cover, just a heads up that the “typical” universal cart cover is an extremely tight fit on their new Yamaha carts. You may need some bungee cords, zip ties, S hooks, etc. to make it work.

We had a few groups originally planning to play this but the forecast and the 6 holes of "foursomes" put us off. If they made it 9 holes scramble and 9 holes best-ball they might attract more players. Especially at $135 a pop.

[size=3]Vapor Speed Driver
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 13* FW[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 15* FW[/size]
[size=3]Cobra King Pro Forged Black CB/MB 4-PW[/size]
[size=3]Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 52/9, [/size][size=3]56/10, [/size][size=3]60/9[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade TP Collection Berwick
[size=3]BOOM![/size]

Myself and the deer out at Pine Meadow this afternoon. A little brisk for the first couple of holes, but after #3, I was good to go. There's nothing like a quiet peaceful course. No carts, no cart speakers, no maintenance guys, just you and the course. Can't beat that. And, Pine Meadow was in pretty decent shape too.

Getting out with LD tomorrow for round #100 on the season.

• Like 4

Titleist TSi3 10*
Titleist TSi3 16.5*

Titleist 818H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Cottonwood II

On 11/12/2022 at 4:49 PM, B-Man said:

We had a few groups originally planning to play this but the forecast and the 6 holes of "foursomes" put us off. If they made it 9 holes scramble and 9 holes best-ball they might attract more players. Especially at $135 a pop.

It was blast though. With a cart cover and a heater it was actually pretty comfortable. Definitely was chilly at times when putting since you weren't just in and out of the cart when on the greens, but it was never freezing. I will say though that we started on alternate shot last year and it sucked, but the weather was also horrendous last year.

I agree the $135 isn't cheap... but you get 3 free drinks, unlimited dogs and chili during the round, and then a more extensive food spread afterwards. Plus you're guaranteed to get at least $10 off in the pro shop even if you finish last.

Edited by cpeck12
  • Like 2

Titleist TSi2 Titleist TS2 3w Titleist TS2 Hybrid Titleist T100 5-PW Titleist 718 T-MB 4i Vokey SM8 50*, 56*, 60* Scotty Cameron TeI3 Newport

15 minutes ago, cpeck12 said:

There were no 4some holes... it was 6 scramble, 6 better ball, 6 alternate shot all with 2 man teams. It was blast though. With a cart cover and a heater it was actually pretty comfortable. Definitely was chilly at times when putting since you weren't just in and out of the cart when on the greens, but it was never freezing.

I agree the $135 isn't cheap... but you get 3 free drinks, unlimited dogs and chili during the round, and then a more extensive food spread afterwards. Plus you're guaranteed to get at least $10 off in the pro shop even if you finish last.

Awesome!

FYI, they call alternate shot "foursomes" in the deep deep south. Deep. Scramble? Nah why call it that when Ambrose seems much more understandable. 

[size=3]Vapor Speed Driver
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 13* FW[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 15* FW[/size]
[size=3]Cobra King Pro Forged Black CB/MB 4-PW[/size]
[size=3]Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 52/9, [/size][size=3]56/10, [/size][size=3]60/9[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade TP Collection Berwick
[size=3]BOOM![/size]

5 minutes ago, B-Man said:

Awesome!

FYI, they call alternate shot "foursomes" in the deep deep south. Deep. Scramble? Nah why call it that when Ambrose seems much more understandable. 

Lol yes I actually edited my reply... I was like wait a minute, I misread that and now sound like an idiot.

We started on alternate shot last year and it was miserable. It does make it more interesting though, that's for sure.

Winter is getting longer and longer.

Got out last Saturday.  It was cold... really cold.  I used to love being out there alone in the late fall or early winter, but now it just feels cold. 

G430 LST 9.0 Ventus TR Blue 6s

G430 LST 3 wood (-2 degrees) Ventus TR Red 7s

Stealth 2 Plus 5 wood (-2 degrees) Ventus TR Red 8s 

Stealth 2 Plus 2 hybrid (+ 2 degrees) Tour ADDI 85S

Stealth Plus 2 4 hybrid Ventus Blue 8s

0317T  5-P  PX LZ 6.5

RTX Zipcore  50, 54

Lab Link 1 

Played Skanktuary with Bear today. The colder it gets the better he plays. Truly bizarre. The course was covered in frost but carts were out with no restrictions. The pro shop jockey said, “It’s okay, we sprayed the greens.” With what, a giant hair dryer? A picture of the third green is below. This is why my window to play the Skank is late November to late February. Keep the expectations low. I had forgotten my frozen course approach to golf at first. Gotta land it short. Then take Sir Nick’s advice. No, not about having every new wife be progressively younger. On frozen and thawing turf, if one can putt, one should putt. Faldo said that about tour courses but it also applies to Midwestern late-Fall/Winter golf. One birdie on 7. A few bogies mixed in but overall I played well. 

B163DD4F-590D-49A4-803A-68630B07C884.jpeg

• Like 4

Piretti Cottonwood II

Got out to Orchard Valley for one final round this year.  I thought maybe with minimal wind and sun out it would get warm enough for me. Nope, it was way too cold out there for me, but I survived.  I really don't know how some of you guys do it.   Course was in the best shape I've seen it in years, which isn't so much saying it's in great shape now, but more how bad it was when I last played it.  It'll be back in the rotation next year based on what we saw today.  Bunkers had sand, greens rolled well despite being shaggy and slow, and just overall the course was for sure kept up pretty well.  The only real negative is hole 13 remains as one of the dumbest golf holes in Chicago.  Pace was great at 3:45 considering the tee sheet was full when we went off.

I'm glad my buddies convinced me to give it one more go, I finally put up a round that's more what I'm capable of.  Had a lot of great birdie looks on the front between almost driving 1 and driving it pin high right on 4 and pin high in 2 on both par 5's.  On the back I had a bit of change of luck dropping 3 birdies on 11, 12 and 16.  Had a couple more looks on 17 and 18.  Unfortunately I did have 4 bogies in the mix on the back but ended up with a 75 on the day.  After a pretty rough stretch since Sept, it was nice to finally hit the ball fairly solid and put up a number.  Hopefully I can take this into next year.

• Like 4

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

Bear joined me at White Hawk this morning. I was told they wouldn’t let people out until 9:00 at the earliest because of frost but people just started teeing off since there was no ranger or starter. We waited until 8:45 out of courtesy but didn’t want to get stuck behind the cart armada. More on them later. Tee to green, the course was in okay shape. Bunkers were inconsistent but tee boxes were fine and fairways were alright. Greens were pretty slow but it’s late November so that’s to be expected. 

On the sixth hole of Silver we caught a group. Okay, that’s an understatement. We caught a 20some. 15 carts with two different cart speakers blaring white trash death metal. On the seventh tee, I just kind of announced we were playing through and was heckled with Caddyshack quotes as I stuck a five iron to a back flag. Then one of the guys in the mega group told me, “They really shouldn’t have let you go off Silver first. We had this set up a week ago.” I told him we played Black first because we’re a twosome and not a 20some. So in the time it took them to play 6 holes we played 15. And that was at White Hawk, which involves a one mile walk from the ninth hole on Black to the first on Silver. I’m sure those dummies did book that a week ago. I’m also positive they didn’t say all 20 people would be in one group. 

Anyway, I hit the ball very well and really drove it well. 11 fairways and 9 greens. Pretty decent wedge play when I didn’t hit the green but only one birdie (5 Silver). 76

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Piretti Cottonwood II

On 11/23/2022 at 1:19 PM, ldchristopher said:

Played Skanktuary with Bear today. The colder it gets the better he plays. Truly bizarre. The course was covered in frost but carts were out with no restrictions. The pro shop jockey said, “It’s okay, we sprayed the greens.” With what, a giant hair dryer? A picture of the third green is below. This is why my window to play the Skank is late November to late February. Keep the expectations low. I had forgotten my frozen course approach to golf at first. Gotta land it short. Then take Sir Nick’s advice. No, not about having every new wife be progressively younger. On frozen and thawing turf, if one can putt, one should putt. Faldo said that about tour courses but it also applies to Midwestern late-Fall/Winter golf. One birdie on 7. A few bogies mixed in but overall I played well. 

B163DD4F-590D-49A4-803A-68630B07C884.jpeg

Super must have taken the day off. Walking on a frosted green is so bad for it 😂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mci711 said:

Super must have taken the day off. Walking on a frosted green is so bad for it 😂

The maintenance crew was out changing the hole locations right behind us, lol. They just don't care. 

Edited by TheBear95

Titleist TSi3 10*
Titleist TSi3 16.5*

Titleist 818H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Cottonwood II

played what will likely be the last weekend round of the year on Saturday morning  at SV.

the frost has mostly dissipated by 9am, and I had the place to myself, as the next group didn't start until I was on #5 fairway.

they hadn't placed any tee markers, but the pin flags were up and course was groomed enough for good shots.

the friday late players left some bunkers kind of gnarly but it didn't affect my round. quick rake here and there took care of the nastiness.

melancholy walk up #18 thinking about the season ending.

might try to get out there tomorrow before the cold front hits.

SV_112622.jpg

• Like 2

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

TM FlexTech Lite/Titleist StaDry

Played Blackstone on Saturday. Teed off right in front of the owner who had a golf cart enclosure…and was wearing shorts. Golf is weird in that you can warm up nicely and play terrible and then you can run right up to the first tee and play one of your best rounds of the year. 

2022 was fun. Missed a 69 by one shot. Off to X-Golf for the winter.

• Like 4

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

I’m sorry, when did 40° become unplayable? Sunday looks plenty decent. And it’ll be 50° on Friday for the retired crowd. 

• Like 2

Piretti Cottonwood II

36 minutes ago, mci711 said:

<50 I'm out. 😂 

• Haha 1

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

12 hours ago, ldchristopher said:

I’m sorry, when did 40° become unplayable? Sunday looks plenty decent. And it’ll be 50° on Friday for the retired crowd. 

I've made a few exceptions, but under 60 is generally unplayable for me.  I don't enjoy wearing layers of clothing to be outside and don't enjoy being cold.  My last round at Orchard was pretty miserable for me to get through and I only stayed out because I was playing good.

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

5 minutes ago, MountainKing said:

under 60 is generally unplayable for me.  I don't enjoy wearing layers of clothing to be outside and don't enjoy being cold. 

... Exactly! The older you get the more this applies. To be fair, I was raised in the south and moved to Chicago when I was 25 and never got used to the cold. 

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... Ventus Velocore Red 5R
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:            2023 Maxfli Tour/2024 TP5x

4 minutes ago, chisag said:

... Exactly! The older you get the more this applies. To be fair, I was raised in the south and moved to Chicago when I was 25 and never got used to the cold. 

Born in Chicago and all my grandparents came here from Scandanavian countries.  I'm basically a disgrace to both things.  I never did like the cold, now that I'm north of 40 with a back surgery it's even worse.  Unfortunately I'll probably be in this area for another 10 years or so.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy