2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round 3)

stasek

12 hours ago, Holy Moses said:

Glad to hear you’re OK! What surgery/procedure was your former cardiologist recommending? 

I had a new test called a calcium score done a few years ago. Insurance doesn’t cover it, but it was only like $75. An MRI-like machine, but you are only in it for maybe 5-10 minutes. Recommended for anyone who wants to know if your heart has blockage. 

Thanks HM, appreciate it! The traditional procedure for the last 40 years, when my Dad had his quad bypass done is to saw your sternum open, use rib spreaders to open up your chest so they can do open heart surgery.  In the process of spreading the ribs, there is usually damage ranging from broken ribs to torn cartilage. That procedure leaves you open to infections, has you basically doing nothing for 3 months, you can't even start cardiac rehab until then, and it's at best 6 months for a full recovery and at worst, 9-12 months.  You can't work, drive, you're totally dependent on others to take care of you.

The minimally invasive approach is amazing. It's at least 3 months of a faster recovery, the risk of infection is minimal, the total length of the incisions is about 4 inches and 3 days after surgery I was walking miles, with no breathing issues. It's a question everyone need to ask in this situation, and then you need to do research as there are other surgeons who will use this approach. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, ldchristopher said:

Awesome news on the quick recovery. Take care of that ticker. The world needs DP4. 

Thanks LD! I'm fortunate to have a heart that is blockage free going into things, which helped.  My surgeon said I should be bringing smart-asstic sarcasm to the world, or at least this site, for another 30 years.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, DavePelz4 said:

Yesterday at George Dunne was the most meaningful rounds of my life, seriously.  No, there wasn't sand magically placed in the bunkers. I didn't shoot some personal best.  No hole in one or string of birdies.  Kate Upton, Shakira and Paige Spiranac didn't round out the foursome.  As a matter of fact, I probably shot one of the worst rounds of the last 25 years.

So what made THIS round so magical?  On March 8, I was wheeled into an operating room at Loyola at 5:30AM, my heart was stopped for 6 hours and my amazing surgeon did a minimally invasive triple bypass surgery.  He used 2 camera and went into the arteries through my ribs.  2 hours after surgery I was walking; the next day I was jogging in the hospital hallway; the third day I did flights of stairs; and the following day they sent me home because there was nothing more that needed to be done. 

The day after being DC'd, I walked 3 miles without any shortness of breath, which continues now. Within 5 days, I was driving and within a week I was physically back in the office. On day 28 I hit balls for the first time, have hit balls a couple of other times, yesterday hit balls for an hour, played and walked 18 and felt a bit tired after the round, but it was golf, which at one point in February, I was told it might be 6-9 months before I could play again, assuming I survived surgery.

I had 3 arteries that were totally blocked, but my heart is in wonderful condition fortunately. Prior to the surgery, I was passing out multiple times per day due to the lack of blood flow to the brain.  I was told if I had a heart attack, I was done, there wouldn't be enough time to get me to the OR.

As I've dealt with health challenges for the last year, it took almost 9 months to find the root cause.  My now former cardiologist told me in mid February that I needed a full zipper surgery with my sternum cut open, most likely ribs would be broken, my chest would be wired up, I couldn't be alone for 6 weeks post surgery, the return to work was 3 months, and if I was lucky, golf was a possibility in 6 - 9 months. He didn't share any options or other possibilities.

After a lengthy pity party and knowing that I was literally living on borrowed time, I started researching on a Sunday afternoon, found an amazing surgeon at Loyola and sent him an email with my condition and all the heart scans.  In less then 30 minutes, his staff called me (ON A FREAKING SUNDAY), said they reviewed the scans and they scheduled me for an appointment in 2 days. There's way more to that part of the story but suffice it to say their responsiveness was amazing. 

There have been some bumps in the road with meds post surgery, but the prognosis is literally a long and heart healthy life.  Will share that if there is any history of heart disease in your family, as there is and was in mine, get a heart scan, so if nothing else you have a baseline to work from and then get them periodically. It could be life saving.  And if a cardiologist tells you there isn't another option, don't take that for an answer.  When I spoke recently to my now former cardiologist and asked why he didn't recommend the minimally invasive approach, he literally said, "We don't recommend procedures that our hospital doesn't do." In other words, we're not going to send the money to another hospital, and don't care about your recovery, we care about the $$$.

I'm a blessed person and am doing everything possible to spread the words on minimally invasive heart procedures.  Not everyone will qualify, but it's a question to ask to see if you're a candidate. It will save you a ton of recovery time, BTW, I haven't had a single pain med post surgery, seriously, and will give you your life back in weeks as opposed to months.

For the record, striped the drive on 1, hit a solid 3w, wedge to 10 feet and missed the birdie putt, badly. Parred 2 and 3 as well. From there, it went downhill rapidly, but I'm alive, and playing golf again. 

Good job mate. We'll need to get out again and enjoy the 19th Hole when nothing can be finer than eating chicken fingers on a sunny day.

• Like 2

[size=3]Vapor Speed Driver
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 13* FW[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 15* FW[/size]
[size=3]Cobra King Pro Forged Black CB/MB 4-PW[/size]
[size=3]Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 52/9, [/size][size=3]56/10, [/size][size=3]60/9[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade TP Collection Berwick
[size=3]BOOM![/size]

On 4/15/2024 at 9:59 AM, DavePelz4 said:

Yesterday at George Dunne was the most meaningful rounds of my life, seriously.  No, there wasn't sand magically placed in the bunkers. I didn't shoot some personal best.  No hole in one or string of birdies.  Kate Upton, Shakira and Paige Spiranac didn't round out the foursome.  As a matter of fact, I probably shot one of the worst rounds of the last 25 years.

So what made THIS round so magical?  On March 8, I was wheeled into an operating room at Loyola at 5:30AM, my heart was stopped for 6 hours and my amazing surgeon did a minimally invasive triple bypass surgery.  He used 2 camera and went into the arteries through my ribs.  2 hours after surgery I was walking; the next day I was jogging in the hospital hallway; the third day I did flights of stairs; and the following day they sent me home because there was nothing more that needed to be done. 

The day after being DC'd, I walked 3 miles without any shortness of breath, which continues now. Within 5 days, I was driving and within a week I was physically back in the office. On day 28 I hit balls for the first time, have hit balls a couple of other times, yesterday hit balls for an hour, played and walked 18 and felt a bit tired after the round, but it was golf, which at one point in February, I was told it might be 6-9 months before I could play again, assuming I survived surgery.

I had 3 arteries that were totally blocked, but my heart is in wonderful condition fortunately. Prior to the surgery, I was passing out multiple times per day due to the lack of blood flow to the brain.  I was told if I had a heart attack, I was done, there wouldn't be enough time to get me to the OR.

As I've dealt with health challenges for the last year, it took almost 9 months to find the root cause.  My now former cardiologist told me in mid February that I needed a full zipper surgery with my sternum cut open, most likely ribs would be broken, my chest would be wired up, I couldn't be alone for 6 weeks post surgery, the return to work was 3 months, and if I was lucky, golf was a possibility in 6 - 9 months. He didn't share any options or other possibilities.

After a lengthy pity party and knowing that I was literally living on borrowed time, I started researching on a Sunday afternoon, found an amazing surgeon at Loyola and sent him an email with my condition and all the heart scans.  In less then 30 minutes, his staff called me (ON A FREAKING SUNDAY), said they reviewed the scans and they scheduled me for an appointment in 2 days. There's way more to that part of the story but suffice it to say their responsiveness was amazing. 

There have been some bumps in the road with meds post surgery, but the prognosis is literally a long and heart healthy life.  Will share that if there is any history of heart disease in your family, as there is and was in mine, get a heart scan, so if nothing else you have a baseline to work from and then get them periodically. It could be life saving.  And if a cardiologist tells you there isn't another option, don't take that for an answer.  When I spoke recently to my now former cardiologist and asked why he didn't recommend the minimally invasive approach, he literally said, "We don't recommend procedures that our hospital doesn't do." In other words, we're not going to send the money to another hospital, and don't care about your recovery, we care about the $$$.

I'm a blessed person and am doing everything possible to spread the words on minimally invasive heart procedures.  Not everyone will qualify, but it's a question to ask to see if you're a candidate. It will save you a ton of recovery time, BTW, I haven't had a single pain med post surgery, seriously, and will give you your life back in weeks as opposed to months.

For the record, striped the drive on 1, hit a solid 3w, wedge to 10 feet and missed the birdie putt, badly. Parred 2 and 3 as well. From there, it went downhill rapidly, but I'm alive, and playing golf again. 

Scary stuff! Glad to hear you're doing well Gary! We need to get out this year for old times sake!

On 4/15/2024 at 9:59 AM, DavePelz4 said:

Wow!

Glad to hear you're doing good!  Life always finds a way to make you realize what's really important.

My left arm is feeling funny after reading your post.  

My hypochondria is in full effect, lol!

Edited by St Jimmy
  • Like 3

G430 LST 9.0 Ventus TR Blue 6s

G430 LST 3 wood (-2 degrees) Ventus TR Red 7s

Stealth 2 Plus 5 wood (-2 degrees) Ventus TR Red 8s 

Stealth 2 Plus 2 hybrid (+ 2 degrees) Tour ADDI 85S

Stealth Plus 2 4 hybrid Ventus Blue 8s

0317T  5-P  PX LZ 6.5

RTX Zipcore  50, 54

Lab Link 1 

(at Sunset Valley)

Dang it was cold out there this morning. When we ended play it was only 36*. the breeze kept the frost away so no delay to start. Our shots were falling short of normal distances so everything needed more club than normal.

They punched the tee and approach areas along with greens earlier in the week and the greens were loaded with sand and fast. The course was well groomed.

Second cut was thick enough to hide balls until you looked straight down to find them. 

My tee shot on the Par 3 #4 was closely watched by one of the grounds crew. When we walked up to the green he looks at me and says 'Your ball's over there. Looks like you had your Wheaties this morning"  I had landed front of the green and it had rolled all the way to the back.

He thinks my partner is my son (age difference) and asks him, "Are you watching out for Dad today?"

I love this place.

Hope everyone has a great weekend out there.

• Like 4

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

TM FlexTech Lite/Titleist StaDry

1 hour ago, ldchristopher said:

White Hawk today with Bear. They’re still on Spring rates, but I don’t see that at any of the Chicago area courses. The greens were really moving. Probably a 10 or 10.5 at first and the wind dried them out so they got slicker as the round went on. Two birdies on 1 Red and 8 Silver for a 76. 

Spring rates?   What's that?

• Like 2

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

Brutally cold this morning.

I just cleaned my bag out of all my stashed winter gear and didn't really look at the forecast before I left the house.  I assumed it would be in the 50's.  Luckily there was a hoodie in my back seat or I might've bailed on the round.

The wind never relented and my hands are still numb.  

Needless to say, it was a poor ball striking day. 

• Like 1

0317T  5-P  PX LZ 6.5

RTX Zipcore  50, 54

Lab Link 1 

22 minutes ago, St Jimmy said:

Brutally cold this morning.

I just cleaned my bag out of all my stashed winter gear and didn't really look at the forecast before I left the house.  I assumed it would be in the 50's.  Luckily there was a hoodie in my back seat or I might've bailed on the round.

The wind never relented and my hands are still numb.  

Needless to say, it was a poor ball striking day. 

Did you play Oak Grove?

• Like 1

Titleist TSR2 10*
Titleist TSi2 18*

Titleist 816 H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Teramo

1 hour ago, MountainKing said:

Spring rates?   What's that?

Only a thing in IN and WI. IL, not so much. 

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

1 hour ago, TheBear95 said:

Did you play Oak Grove?

Yes.   

It’s in pretty good shape outside of the bunkers.  Greens are running better right now than they did most of last year.  

Edited by St Jimmy
  • Like 2

0317T  5-P  PX LZ 6.5

RTX Zipcore  50, 54

Lab Link 1 

20240421_110906.jpg.8189a74173cd93ef9c612d09e6f904c4.jpg

448yrd. Uphill into a ~20mph "breeze".

• Like 2

[size=3]Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 52/9, [/size][size=3]56/10, [/size][size=3]60/9[/size]
[size=3]BOOM![/size]

8 minutes ago, B-Man said:

20240421_110906.jpg.8189a74173cd93ef9c612d09e6f904c4.jpg

448yrd. Uphill into a ~20mph "breeze".

Prairie Bluff? 

Both the 460 holes at Mt Prospect were into the fan today.  Brutal.

• Thanks 1

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

20 hours ago, MountainKing said:

Mt Prospect today for the first time.  I may have played it years ago before they re-did, but not sure how I let this one pass me by.  For late April conditions couldn't be better, greens were smooth and blazing, bunkers were nice and they were on spring rates. Hard to beat for $70. No issues with pace coming in at 3 hours and 45 minutes with a late morning tee time.  I'll be back for sure.

I think I got the shanks sort of worked out and my driving is as good as ever.  Drove the 9th hole and was right on the front edge of 18. Irons were a bit shakey but I think I sort of figured a few things out.  No birdies, couple bad bogies that probably would have been prevented if I knew the course but came in with a 74, I'll take it.  

I played in the howling wind on Friday. One of the hardest rounds I can imagine.

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

When the tour that shall not be named comes to Bolingbrook this Fall, what’s the winning score gonna be? -30? 

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

21 minutes ago, ldchristopher said:

When the tour that shall not be named comes to Bolingbrook this Fall, what’s the winning score gonna be? -30? 

Pretty sure in 2021 when a Tour that was a level or 2 below the Korn Ferry Tour played BB, the winning score was -20. Think that was also a 4 round event though.  With an alleged higher level of talent, factored over 3 rounds, the answer is clearly I don't give a rats a**. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, ldchristopher said:

Had no idea what you were talking about so I had to look it up... I thought you were talking about something like the golf channel amateur tour or something not LIV. They are playing at courses like Bolingbrook now?! 😂 Not even a top 15 public course in the area. That is hilarious. 

Edited by mci711

31 minutes ago, mci711 said:

Had no idea what you were talking about so I had to look it up... I thought you were talking about something like the golf channel amateur tour or something not LIV. They are playing at courses like Bolingbrook now?! 😂 Not even a top 15 public course in the area. That is hilarious. 

... Did 45 buy Bolingbrook? 🤪

• Haha 4

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:           2024 TP5x/2023 Maxfli Tour

12 hours ago, mci711 said:

And Phil bitched about Cog...

• Like 2

17 hours ago, ldchristopher said:

I almost for sure think we're going to see several scores under 60.  I'm guessing they'll play it as a par 70.  Bolignbrook hes zero defense from that level of golf, even whipping winds won't do it.  It's short by pro standards, fairways are really generous, plenty of room to miss tee shots on most holes, greens are very mundane and won't be flying in the fall.   Rich Harvest I know never wanted them, I know they asked Floss and multiple other privates and all got turned down.  I'm guessing they also went through about 20 other public courses and got No's before landing on Bolingbrook.  What a joke.

• Like 2

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

On 4/15/2024 at 4:50 PM, propman said:

I actually sent a copy of your message above to a buddy of mine who has ticker issues. He is seeing his cardiologist later this week.

Thanks for sharing and hope all is well 

Men and women need to be aware of this alternative as they do their research.  I'm trying to spread the words on this so apologies if it pops up periodically in posts.  If just one person can benefit from the procedure and avoid a full zipper, than the story has benefits.  Hope your friend is doing great and if he has questions, please have him reach out.  You can DM me for an email if you'd like.

Playing Seven Bridges for the first time tomorrow. Will report back on expectations vs. reality.

[size=3]BOOM![/size]

Just now, B-Man said:

Playing Seven Bridges for the first time tomorrow. Will report back on expectations vs. reality.

Good not great. I lived in the condos on the 10th hole before moving out of town, so I had their twilight "membership" and played a few times a week. Two different 9s. Front is pretty straight forward, back is tougher winding through water. There are worse option.  Its been awhile, but conditions were always decent.