2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round 3)

stasek

4 hours ago, TBone0576 said:

Lack of a range is definitely a negative over there.   Not a lot of options to buy land either, there is private property to the north there but other than that I'm not sure where you put it so that its somewhat convenient.   The 1st hole would be a great option but not sure where you would try to shoehorn another hole in to replace it.  

There's land they could pursue - now if it's cost effective or not that's another story, but driving ranges are cash cows.  The range at Thunderhawk isn't anything to brag about so putting up a nice practice facility could bring some good coin in.

As far as convenience - that's another story.  Might be a situation like you see at some courses where the range/practice area has it's own parking lot and facility, if you're playing you would just take a cart over there.  

I never really thought SC was all that, 6-7 good holes and a lot of average. Not having a practice facility IMO amplifies that, basically making it not a course I would consider bothering with since it's a solid hour drive for me, and Thunderhawk is right there.  Even when it came time last year to do 36 up that way, we just opted to stay at Thunder, but might have considered it for a morning round if they had a range.  I'm middle aged and out of shape, I need a range if I'm in a car for an hour.

• Like 1

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

On 3/4/2024 at 12:08 PM, TBone0576 said:

Thanks for the update, maybe I will head over there this week after work to check it out.  I used to like to go over there to practice putting and chipping because there really is nothing else in Kenosha worth putting or chipping on.    I had no idea how much undulation they were going to put on it but I did think it odd that the bunkers are part of it as well.  Wonder how many people are going to get clocked with a skulled sand shot this year.   I'd say the over/under is 6 unless they built a separate green to hit sand shots to.  

The sand area is just separate enough that it won’t (or at least shouldn’t) lead to people getting brained by skulled sand shots. That’s the one part of the new set up I liked. Totally agree on the dumb practice green. It’s like the funhouse greens at Angel’s Crossing. Not anything like the rest of Shepherds. 

• Like 2

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

On 3/7/2024 at 10:53 AM, J3H said:

Gonna try Eaglewood this upcoming Monday, supposed to be 60 and sunny.  Love seeing places outside of St Andrews and White Pines open this time of year; I feel like we'll be paying for it in mid June/July when courses are beat up from 6+ months of playing.

If a course is beat up in June/July, it will have nothing to do with play happening on it right now.  That course would be beat up regardless.  So many courses are cutting corners these days with maintenance while charging the most.

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

18 hours ago, ldchristopher said:

I had professional development today at Chicago Bulls College Prep so I was able to get back on 290 and play a rare after work round. I don't miss working on the West Side, but I do miss easy access to the Eisenhower. Anyway, I played Village Links. $48, walking only, and a wide open tee sheet. Ideal circumstances. I broke my three round birdie-free streak on the first hole and my game was locked in throughout. Never stopping certainly helped, as did playing on a course where the cups had been moved within the last three months and the greens had been worked on. I lipped out a birdie putt on 14 but got another to drop on 15. Only one bogie (on 9) for a 71. 

71 is a great score out there anytime, but in the cold that's awesome.

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

On 3/5/2024 at 8:25 PM, ldchristopher said:

The sand area is just separate enough that it won’t (or at least shouldn’t) lead to people getting brained by skulled sand shots. That’s the one part of the new set up I liked. Totally agree on the dumb practice green. It’s like the funhouse greens at Angel’s Crossing. Not anything like the rest of Shepherds. 

did they construct this new green complex in the space between the parking lot and the cart path that leads up to number 1 tee?

I haven't been up there this year...just read about it in the email. .

as for a range - can't we still pipe one or two practice balls over Green Bay Rd? 

one old starter used to laugh his butt off when our group pulled up.

he knew what was coming.

😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

TM FlexTech Lite/Titleist StaDry

14 hours ago, @_the_crook said:

did they construct this new green complex in the space between the parking lot and the cart path that leads up to number 1 tee?

I haven't been up there this year...just read about it in the email. .

as for a range - can't we still pipe one or two practice balls over Green Bay Rd? 

one old starter used to laugh his butt off when our group pulled up.

he knew what was coming.

😁

Yes, they did. The new practice green is in the same place as the old one. Just larger now.

Titleist TSR2 10*
Titleist TSi2 18*

Titleist 816 H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Teramo

I played Cog 2 today. I hadn’t played there in a long time but I remembered the greens being slow and spongy. No longer the case. The greens were outstanding. They were smooth, had good pace, and were stimping at about 9 (which was excellent considering how wet the place was). There was a lot of mud, a little bit of standing water, and some of the bunkers had ponds in them. But considering it rained nonstop yesterday, it was very playable. Just a lot of lift, clean and place. One birdie on 4 and 3 bogies on 8, 10 and 16. 74. 

• Like 4

Piretti Cottonwood II

1 hour ago, ldchristopher said:

I played Cog 2 today. I hadn’t played there in a long time but I remembered the greens being slow and spongy. No longer the case. The greens were outstanding. They were smooth, had good pace, and were stimping at about 9 (which was excellent considering how wet the place was). There was a lot of mud, a little bit of standing water, and some of the bunkers had ponds in them. But considering it rained nonstop yesterday, it was very playable. Just a lot of lift, clean and place. One birdie on 4 and 3 bogies on 8, 10 and 16. 74. 

Cog's been pretty decent the last few years for conditions.  Even 1&3 have been solid for the most part.  I think a lot of what you see now is people still reviewing it as if it were 4-5 years ago.  It's cool to hate on Cog.

• Like 1

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

Actually, one critique of Cog 2 from today. The scorecard was printed on white paper.  At least use card stock. 

• Haha 1

Piretti Cottonwood II

49 minutes ago, ldchristopher said:

Actually, one critique of Cog 2 from today. The scorecard was printed on white paper.  At least use card stock. 

I run into this occasionally. Not sure is someone messed up and forgot to order a fresh batch of scorecards, or if the course has scheduled a re-rating, and didn't want to spend money on scorecards that would be out of date in a matter or weeks/months. 

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

1 hour ago, Argonne69 said:

I run into this occasionally. Not sure is someone messed up and forgot to order a fresh batch of scorecards, or if the course has scheduled a re-rating, and didn't want to spend money on scorecards that would be out of date in a matter or weeks/months. 

I almost always see this in the late Winter and early Spring but usually at low budget courses. It feels like Cog 2 has been 72.7/126 for as long as I’ve been golfing. Could be due for a re-rating. 

Piretti Cottonwood II

Played Prairie Isle yesterday afternoon. Greens were fantastic shape for March.

Also, they did some significant tree removal down the right side of #13. Really opened that area up if you miss right.

• Like 2

Titleist TSR2 10*
Titleist TSi2 18*

Titleist 816 H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Teramo

I played Redtail today for the first round this year. Course was in decent shape. Greens rolled well but not as quick as usual. I was surprised it wasn’t CPO. Work on the clubhouse and half way house is coming along and according to the guy at the register they are looking at moving in sometime in June if everything goes well. They are also installing drainage on a couple of fairways so those weren’t the best. My game was okay. I’m breaking in new irons and the front 9 was a bit of struggle. The back 9 I had a better feel for them and was much better.

• Like 3

Driver- Tour Edge EXS 220

4W- Sub 70 949X

4H- Sub 70 949X

Utility- Sub 70 699U 21 degree

Irons- Sub 70 749 5-PW

Wedges - Sub 70 286 50+54 degree

Tour Edge 1 out 58 degree

Putter- Cleveland Huntington Beach #11

Meadowlark last night. Greens unplayable. Slick, firm, bumpy and strong winds do not jell great for playing such surfaces.

• Like 2

[size=3]Vapor Speed Driver
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 13* FW[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 15* FW[/size]
[size=3]Cobra King Pro Forged Black CB/MB 4-PW[/size]
[size=3]Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 52/9, [/size][size=3]56/10, [/size][size=3]60/9[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade TP Collection Berwick
[size=3]BOOM![/size]

On 3/11/2024 at 12:53 PM, TheBear95 said:

Played Prairie Isle yesterday afternoon. Greens were fantastic shape for March.

Also, they did some significant tree removal down the right side of #13. Really opened that area up if you miss right.

At the top of the hill?  I don't remember trees being an issue on 13.  

11, 12, and 14 yes. 

G430 LST 9.0 Ventus TR Blue 6s

G430 LST 3 wood (-2 degrees) Ventus TR Red 7s

Stealth 2 Plus 5 wood (-2 degrees) Ventus TR Red 8s 

Stealth 2 Plus 2 hybrid (+ 2 degrees) Tour ADDI 85S

Stealth Plus 2 4 hybrid Ventus Blue 8s

0317T  5-P  PX LZ 6.5

RTX Zipcore  50, 54

Lab Link 1 

16 minutes ago, St Jimmy said:

At the top of the hill?  I don't remember trees being an issue on 13.  

11, 12, and 14 yes. 

Before the top of the hill on #13. The large oaks that ran from the tee box to the top of the hill on the right side. A bunch are now gone. 

• Like 1

Titleist TSR2 10*
Titleist TSi2 18*

Titleist 816 H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Teramo

The Bluffs today with Bear. It lost the Heritage in its name but nothing about the course actually changed. It was bright green as everything off 55, 88, and 355 look like June, just without leaves on trees. The greens were slow but as the dew dried and the wind picked up, so did the pace of putts. Bunkers could use a fresh sand shipment but overall it was in okay shape. I bogied 3 of the first four holes but got my swing in order after that and started ripping off pars. My putter bailed me out on a bunch of holes. Only one birdie on 10 but lots of par saves from 6-10 feet. I shot -1 on the back for a 74. Considering the wind was really starting to whip for the last 5 or 6 holes, I was very happy with how I played. 

• Like 2

Piretti Cottonwood II

Highlands of Elgin again,  not the right day for that course, especially from the rup. Conditions were solid, pace was under 4 hours so no complaints.  With the wind tho, it was almost unplayable.  I never hit so many 3 woods in my life.   On 12 I hit driver 6 iron and still  didn't get to the creek.   I did drive 13 again.  Downwind wasn't much help,  the wind would knuckle the shot down.    Shot an 85 and I felt like that was a 74.

• Like 3

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

18 hours ago, MountainKing said:

Highlands of Elgin again,  not the right day for that course, especially from the rup. Conditions were solid, pace was under 4 hours so no complaints.  With the wind tho, it was almost unplayable.  I never hit so many 3 woods in my life.   On 12 I hit driver 6 iron and still  didn't get to the creek.   I did drive 13 again.  Downwind wasn't much help,  the wind would knuckle the shot down.    Shot an 85 and I felt like that was a 74.

I guess they only had one tee box open? 😂

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, mci711 said:

I guess they only had one tee box open? 😂

We normally combo but my idiot friends wanted to see how hard it could play, and I gave into peer pressure.  4 guys all around scratch,  nobody under 80.  

• Like 1

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

3 hours ago, MountainKing said:

We normally combo but my idiot friends wanted to see how hard it could play, and I gave into peer pressure.  4 guys all around scratch,  nobody under 80.  

With 30+ mph winds, HOE plays like Winged Foot. I’ve gotten stuck in that situation before on that course. Similar time of year. Similar results. 

• Like 1

Piretti Cottonwood II

19 hours ago, ldchristopher said:

With 30+ mph winds, HOE plays like Winged Foot. I’ve gotten stuck in that situation before on that course. Similar time of year. Similar results. 

In the thousands of rounds I've played, I can't really remember anything like yesterday.  Anything competitive would have been postponed/cancelled, it essentially was unplayable.  Greens still have some of that spring shag and the wind still moved a few balls inches at a time, and the balls were constantly oscillating.  My spider putter was really struggling with the wind grabbing it.  It was hard to get the ball to stay on a tee at times.   One shot a buddy of mine had from 105 out on hole 12 (his 4th shot into the green) we were up by the green, we saw the ball apex then go back in his direction and ended up 50 yards short.   Hopefully this is not a normal thing this spring, as amusing as it was, not sure I'd want to repeat it.

• Like 2

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

3 hours ago, MountainKing said:

In the thousands of rounds I've played, I can't really remember anything like yesterday.  Anything competitive would have been postponed/cancelled, it essentially was unplayable.  Greens still have some of that spring shag and the wind still moved a few balls inches at a time, and the balls were constantly oscillating.  My spider putter was really struggling with the wind grabbing it.  It was hard to get the ball to stay on a tee at times.   One shot a buddy of mine had from 105 out on hole 12 (his 4th shot into the green) we were up by the green, we saw the ball apex then go back in his direction and ended up 50 yards short.   Hopefully this is not a normal thing this spring, as amusing as it was, not sure I'd want to repeat it.

Reminds me of the time I played Harborside Starboard in 30 mph north winds. Hit a nice 6 iron on the par 3 17th playing at 140 yds, and it fell short in the water. My playing partner hit a sweet 3 wood from 150 yds out on the 18th, and it landed on the front fringe. It was comical. Plenty of memories, but I wouldn't want to play in that stuff on a regular basis. 

• Like 1

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

On 3/18/2024 at 1:07 PM, MountainKing said:

This seems to be a Highlands thing!  My buddy and I have had the exact same thing right down to a 9i on hole 8 go backwards in mid air!  As stated, that course is hard enough and becomes unplayable with little trees for wind protection and each hole basically bordered by penalty areas (tall grass).  Memories though...