2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

COBRA L4V - The BOMB!!!!

ROBOPTI

[quote name='big_jess' post='868799' date='Jan 17 2008, 07:18 PM']Another smooth shaft that I think will work well in this head especially for you guys that are around 100mph swing speeds is the GD Pershing (not to mention it is also a good value) and comes in a 55 gram and being another one that is low launch/low spin and will give max carry AND max roll.[/quote]

This shaft is definetly on my short list for this head. I had the opportunity to try this shaft in an FT-5 and it felt very smoooooooooth.

[quote name='pjccjp' post='868784' date='Jan 17 2008, 04:09 PM'][quote name='Beavs17' post='868391' date='Jan 17 2008, 03:16 PM']L4V X with GD PM702X tipped 1" for me. Absolutely love this combo![/quote]

Where did you get that avatar - I am dying with laughter on that :cheesy:
[/quote]

LOL...I don't remember where I stumbled upon the avatar...I just knew that I had to have it. :clapping:

[quote name='755' post='868868' date='Jan 17 2008, 04:36 PM'][quote name='big_jess' post='868799' date='Jan 17 2008, 07:18 PM']Another smooth shaft that I think will work well in this head especially for you guys that are around 100mph swing speeds is the GD Pershing (not to mention it is also a good value) and comes in a 55 gram and being another one that is low launch/low spin and will give max carry AND max roll.[/quote]

This shaft is definetly on my short list for this head. I had the opportunity to try this shaft in an FT-5 and it felt very smoooooooooth.
[/quote]

That shaft in my Tour Burner V2 8.5 is my longest set up right now out of, oh, 12 or so drivers right now so I can imagine what it would be like in the L4V.

YOu Guys are killing me. I must get my hands on one. Is ther anyone who is not liking theirs? I have PP in hand.

NO we ALL like them .. It's too bad we like an UNKNOWN SPINNY SHORT MEDIOCRE HOOK BIASED AVERAGE NON-TOUR RETAIL MID-PACK driver

It's just a shame

If we could all wake up out of our collection ROBO-KOOLAIDE induced fog and realize that we aren't actually hitting it as far and straight as we are .. it would be better for our own good ..... 1_4_126.gif1_4_126.gif1_4_126.gif1_4_126.gif1_4_126.gif

Another 7 holes today and this club just keeps getting better hit 5 of 5 fairways with good distance. I am definitely keeping the Accra SC65 X-flex shaft. May do some trimming but I would like to get some LM numbers to confirm the spin rates before I do anything. Right now I can tell the spin is very low but I can't be sure how low. This shaft seems like one of the better options available directly through Cobra for only a +$65 upgrade charge. Took about 4 weeks to get but that was over the holiday so maybe less time now.

[quote name='wirelessness' post='869142' date='Jan 17 2008, 09:38 PM']Another 7 holes today and this club just keeps getting better hit 5 of 5 fairways with good distance. I am definitely keeping the Accra SC65 X-flex shaft. May do some trimming but I would like to get some LM numbers to confirm the spin rates before I do anything. Right now I can tell the spin is very low but I can't be sure how low. This shaft seems like one of the better options available directly through Cobra for only a +$65 upgrade charge. Took about 4 weeks to get but that was over the holiday so maybe less time now.[/quote]

I am looking at this combo. What are your swing and launch numbers in general? What would the Accra SC65 compare to?

[quote name='bustadrives' post='869270' date='Jan 18 2008, 01:58 PM']I think we all need to chip in on some flowers for Ramon/[i]Golfware[/i]'s wife so she'll let him buy a L4V and he can sleep again. He's been in our shop 3 nights a week hitting it.[/quote]

Hahahaha, poor guy. Incidentally have you seen any LM numbers on the club, especially with the VS Proto?

G430 9* Ventus Velo 7s
Titleist TSI2 15* DI7s

Ping G425 19* hybrid Accra TZ6
Tour Edge XCG 24* hybrid Altus
Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-pw
Ping Stealth 2.0 50*SS, S159 54/58*SS
TP Mills Tour Fleetwood

I am the one who stole rex's first L4V.

I was worried that the 9* would not be enough loft for my puny 95-100mph, especially with an Accra SE70 shaft, but it goes high enough. I hate the sound, and I don't like the look, but today it was 42 degrees, and I was a full club short with everything, except for the driver.... That is pretty darn good.

I'm gonna try a couple of other shafts in this head, just to see what's crackin. I have an XCon6 and a VS proto getting jealous in my garage.

It is very very very long.

[quote name='lefty74pgh' post='869234' date='Jan 17 2008, 07:37 PM'][quote name='wirelessness' post='869142' date='Jan 17 2008, 09:38 PM']Another 7 holes today and this club just keeps getting better hit 5 of 5 fairways with good distance. I am definitely keeping the Accra SC65 X-flex shaft. May do some trimming but I would like to get some LM numbers to confirm the spin rates before I do anything. Right now I can tell the spin is very low but I can't be sure how low. This shaft seems like one of the better options available directly through Cobra for only a +$65 upgrade charge. Took about 4 weeks to get but that was over the holiday so maybe less time now.[/quote]

I am looking at this combo. What are your swing and launch numbers in general? What would the Accra SC65 compare to?
[/quote]

My SS is about 105 typically. I tried the L4V on a simulator which I am dubious of the results but the LA was about 14-15* w ball speed of up to 150. This machine does not measure club speed. I might not be the best person to compare this shafts to others because I really don't have access to as many shafts as some of these guys. The shaft is smooth and solid w/ ridiculous dispersion. It is night and day compared to the stock shaft. The combo outperforms my Speed Pro D w/ Proto by You in a pretty big way too. I still want to try to do a more in depth comparison of the two at some point. If you don't want to pay extra to have the club reshafted w/ something not offered by Cobra I would consider this one big time. Anyone play the Bridges in San Ramon, CA is more than welcome to come try it.

[quote name='jaylasvegas' post='869416' date='Jan 17 2008, 10:21 PM']anyone playing this head with a speeder 757
that might prove to be a lethal combonation[/quote]

Jason/Freedom has one and mentioned on this thread that he's looking for something lighter and with less spin than he's getting with his now. See post #6. The 757 is more like a blue board, a little too much spin for this head. The VTLT like Lama is playing is more of what the L4V needs from Fuji and the WB from Diamana, the PM 702 from GD and the Protopype from Aldila etc, etc.

[quote name='big_jess' post='869449' date='Jan 18 2008, 01:24 AM'][quote name='jaylasvegas' post='869416' date='Jan 17 2008, 10:21 PM']anyone playing this head with a speeder 757

Jason/Freedom has one and mentioned on this thread that he's looking for something lighter and with less spin than he's getting with his now. See post #6. The 757 is more like a blue board, a little too much spin for this head. The VTLT like Lama is playing is more of what the L4V needs from Fuji and the WB from Diamana, the PM 702 from GD and the Protopype from Aldila etc, etc.
[/quote]

Jay, I've tried the 757 combo in a 10* F, so that may have been the reason for the higher spin numbers. I also played it stiff/untipped, so maybe that added to those high numbers as well. Dont get me wrong; it was still straight with good distance but I'm seeking more roll. I love the speeder in my J33R, but that performance didn't carry over to the L4V/F the way I had the shaft setup. It was also a bit heavier than what I'm used to swinging. Overall it wasn't bad, but I know I can get better results. Nevertheless, I was shocked by how easy this driver was to hit!

P.S. Whiteboard on the way...

[quote name='big_jess' post='869449' date='Jan 18 2008, 02:24 AM'][quote name='jaylasvegas' post='869416' date='Jan 17 2008, 10:21 PM']anyone playing this head with a speeder 757

[/quote]

I am learning about the different shafts and spin characteristics. Are there any less expensive shafts that compare to the shafts you listed?

How would a VS Proto or Accra SC 65 play?

I tend to have a low launch angle and high spin.

[quote name='jaylasvegas' post='869721' date='Jan 18 2008, 10:38 AM']thanks for the replies guys, maybe a VTLT or whiteboard would be the ticket
I never did care for the feel of the pm702[/quote]

Hey Jay , for you Pro, go with the WB X....BTW nice Avatar!!! That is EPIC!!!
Is that a Chew-Clown?
:clapping:

Titleist Tsi4 / Callaway 4w /Call Hy/ Call UT 3i /Srixon z745 4-P /Vokey Wedgeworks 50m+56v /Cameron Newport 

Has anyone tried the X-con 5 in this puppy? If not that I am going to try the stock VS proto X or possibly Diamana WB X flex. I swing about 110 what shaft flex should i get in WB or Xcon...currently play a r7 460 with altus SX. Will the insertion depth make it play weaker? will the headweight make a difference...ahh all the questions but LOOK AT THE RESULTS!

[quote name='shank42177' post='869782' date='Jan 18 2008, 10:19 AM']for those that have hit these combos, is a whiteboard that much better than a protopype in this club or is close. Also could someone comment on the difference b/t those two shafts and the aldila proto vs x stiff in this head. I have a head coming and really need to figure out which shaft to put in there.[/quote]

VERY VERY minimal differences .... NO experiance with the VS - but the WB / Pype are better IMO for this head

Pype is SOOOOOO underated - and SOOOOOOOOOO good

I have one on order myself - going to jam one in

Pavlet is about to put the beatdown on an 8* / Pype combo in the INCREDIBLY near future - I'll keep everyone up to speed and that explosion :clapping:

[quote name='shawnee' post='869744' date='Jan 18 2008, 07:57 AM'][quote name='jaylasvegas' post='869721' date='Jan 18 2008, 10:38 AM']thanks for the replies guys, maybe a VTLT or whiteboard would be the ticket

Is that a Chew-Clown?
[/quote]
It's Chaka from Land of the Lost!! Classic!!

[quote name='dmares' post='869993' date='Jan 18 2008, 01:55 PM'][quote name='shawnee' post='869744' date='Jan 18 2008, 07:57 AM'][quote name='jaylasvegas' post='869721' date='Jan 18 2008, 10:38 AM']thanks for the replies guys, maybe a VTLT or whiteboard would be the ticket

Is that a Chew-Clown?
[/quote]
It's Chaka from Land of the Lost!! Classic!!
[/quote]

Dmares, Dude you know your scifi characters...
I figured that was a Jay photoshop special, the face has a resemblance of someone I just quite can't place...Hmmmm...(insert winking smiley here)

Titleist Tsi4 / Callaway 4w /Call Hy/ Call UT 3i /Srixon z745 4-P /Vokey Wedgeworks 50m+56v /Cameron Newport