2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Adam Scott on why driving is no longer a skill in pro golf

KrazyTrain18

> @AWorkInProgress said:

> > @LICC said:

> > > @AWorkInProgress said:

> > > > @bladehunter said:

> > > > So let’s put this train in full stop.

> > > >

> > > > Let’s clearly state what you’re arguing for and against , minus. ( very important here ). MINUS any “ I gotcha “ statements on any possible word faux pas you might hang your hat on. As in what is the actual argument minus the need to be “ right “?

> > >

> > > I've already stated (numerous times) what my position is and what I'm pushing back on with regards to LICC's “misinformed thinking” statement to a fellow poster who's very thinking is supported by Tiger, Jack, Duval, Garcia, Els. Please just re-read carefully what I've clearly stated all along. Thanks.

> >

> > Still lying about Nicklaus ...

>

> You are making the unnecessarly aggressive and unfounded accusation of me “lying”, so I’m kindly asking you to back up your claim with actual proof.

>

> The proof of burden is now on you and your credibility is now at stake if you can’t provide any evidence of your “lying” claim.

>

> Your silence to provide any evidence to back up your unfounded “lying” claim will speak volumes about you and your position.

Yeah, sure.

> @AWorkInProgress said:

> > @LICC said:

> > > > @LICC said:

> > > > > @AWorkInProgress said:

> > > > > > @bladehunter said:

> > > > > > So let’s put this train in full stop.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Let’s clearly state what you’re arguing for and against , minus. ( very important here ). MINUS any “ I gotcha “ statements on any possible word faux pas you might hang your hat on. As in what is the actual argument minus the need to be “ right “?

> > > > >

> > > > > I've already stated (numerous times) what my position is and what I'm pushing back on with regards to LICC's “misinformed thinking” statement to a fellow poster who's very thinking is supported by Tiger, Jack, Duval, Garcia, Els. Please just re-read carefully what I've clearly stated all along. Thanks.

> > > >

> > > > Still lying about Nicklaus ...

> > >

> > > You are making the unnecessarly aggressive and unfounded accusation of me “lying”, so I’m kindly asking you to back up your claim with actual proof.

> > >

> > > The proof of burden is now on you and your credibility is now at stake if you can’t provide any evidence of your “lying” claim.

> > >

> > > Your silence to provide any evidence to back up your unfounded “lying” claim will speak volumes about you and your position.

> >

> > Yeah, sure.

>

> Your silence is deafening.

I already addressed it. Just repeating yourself constantly isn’t good argument

> @AWorkInProgress said:

> > @LICC said:

> > > > @LICC said:

> > > > > @AWorkInProgress said:

> > > > > > @LICC said:

> > > > > > > @AWorkInProgress said:

> > > > > > > > @bladehunter said:

> > > > > > > > So let’s put this train in full stop.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > Let’s clearly state what you’re arguing for and against , minus. ( very important here ). MINUS any “ I gotcha “ statements on any possible word faux pas you might hang your hat on. As in what is the actual argument minus the need to be “ right “?

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > I've already stated (numerous times) what my position is and what I'm pushing back on with regards to LICC's “misinformed thinking” statement to a fellow poster who's very thinking is supported by Tiger, Jack, Duval, Garcia, Els. Please just re-read carefully what I've clearly stated all along. Thanks.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Still lying about Nicklaus ...

> > > > >

> > > > > You are making the unnecessarly aggressive and unfounded accusation of me “lying”, so I’m kindly asking you to back up your claim with actual proof.

> > > > >

> > > > > The proof of burden is now on you and your credibility is now at stake if you can’t provide any evidence of your “lying” claim.

> > > > >

> > > > > Your silence to provide any evidence to back up your unfounded “lying” claim will speak volumes about you and your position.

> > > >

> > > > Yeah, sure.

> > >

> > > Your silence is deafening.

> >

> > I already addressed it. Just repeating yourself constantly isn’t good argument

>

> You’ve “addressed” it with another previous baseless opinion. FYI, that isn’t an impartial fact or remotely credible.

>

> Your continued silence & avoidance on this matter speaks volumes.

>

> And you still haven't/can't answer my original question if "David Duval has “misinformed thinking” for this insight about the game?" when he shared the same thoughts as QMany.

>

> Again, your continued silence & avoidance to this original question & topic speaks volumes.

Edit - on second thought , Ugh. I must abstain.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

> @AWorkInProgress said:

> Driving, “It’s not a skilful part of the game anymore and it’s really unfair for some guys who are great drivers of the golf ball.” - Adam Scott (Ranked #43 in SG-TEE)

>

> Rory says that’s utter BS Adam (with a smile & $15m fat ones - Ranked #1 in SG-TEE)

Are you arguing cause and effect?

I'll just say there are/were many ways to win a golf tournament. Pointing to SG off the tee as the reason may not be accurate. Does your argument fall apart if no 2 would have won? Or if SG-Approach was the reason?

Also, how many strokes better was he than no 2 in SG-Tee? Being number one in a category is not all that impressive until you really start distancing yourself from the field in that category (while not giving strokes back in other categories.)

> @AWorkInProgress said:

> Driving, “It’s not a skilful part of the game anymore and it’s really unfair for some guys who are great drivers of the golf ball.” - Adam Scott (Ranked #43 in SG-TEE)

>

> Rory says that’s utter BS Adam (with a smile & $15m fat ones - Ranked #1 in SG-TEE)

Can you decipher the stats for Rory in this pic ? 1jfulliww87w.png

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

What part don’t you understand?

> @bladehunter said:

> > @AWorkInProgress said:

> > Driving, “It’s not a skilful part of the game anymore and it’s really unfair for some guys who are great drivers of the golf ball.” - Adam Scott (Ranked #43 in SG-TEE)

> >

> > Rory says that’s utter BS Adam (with a smile & $15m fat ones - Ranked #1 in SG-TEE)

>

> Can you decipher the stats for Rory in this pic ? 1jfulliww87w.png

>

> @ksgolfcoach said:

> What part don’t you understand?

>

> > @bladehunter said:

> > > Driving, “It’s not a skilful part of the game anymore and it’s really unfair for some guys who are great drivers of the golf ball.” - Adam Scott (Ranked #43 in SG-TEE)

> > >

> > > Rory says that’s utter BS Adam (with a smile & $15m fat ones - Ranked #1 in SG-TEE)

> >

> > Can you decipher the stats for Rory in this pic ? 1jfulliww87w.png

> >

>

>

I didn’t say I didn’t understand it.

I just wondered what his understanding is.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I’ll give you a hint. Here’s the other 3 rounds. Whats the glaring reason for the lead on Sunday ? Compare him to 2nd place Xander.

p5yww4yw5wxx.png

ld04y9el9m8l.png

e38wu5dzx2kx.png

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

The most glaring reason is off the tee. He beat Xander by over a shot a round off the tee. Other than that they were fairly even with Xander hitting better approaches and Rory being better around the greens

> @bladehunter said:

> I’ll give you a hint. Here’s the other 3 rounds. Whats the glaring reason for the lead on Sunday ? Compare him to 2nd place Xander.

>

> p5yww4yw5wxx.png

> ld04y9el9m8l.png

> e38wu5dzx2kx.png

>

@ksgolfcoach

So the fact that Rory has the best putting round of anyone on Sunday isn’t glaring ? Hardly fits with the narrative that was being posted about Rory winning by superior ball striking. Right ?

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

No, it’s the exact opposite. Rory was #1 in driving but #11 in putting this week. I think it fits the narrative perfectly. Or are you still pushing this narrative that putting is the most important and stats don’t matter because “your eyes tell you?”

> @bladehunter said:

> @ksgolfcoach

>

> So the fact that Rory has the best putting round of anyone on Sunday isn’t glaring ? Hardly fits with the narrative that was being posted about Rory winning by superior ball striking. Right ?

> @ksgolfcoach said:

> No, it’s the exact opposite. Rory was #1 in driving but #11 in putting this week. I think it fits the narrative perfectly. Or are you still pushing this narrative that putting is the most important and stats don’t matter because “your eyes tell you?”

>

> > @bladehunter said:

> > @ksgolfcoach

> >

> > So the fact that Rory has the best putting round of anyone on Sunday isn’t glaring ? Hardly fits with the narrative that was being posted about Rory winning by superior ball striking. Right ?

>

>

I said Sunday. He won because he had the best putting round when it mattered. They all started Sunday in a dead heat. The hot putter won. The stat shows just that. The poster I spoke to before you decided to answer for him was crowing about Rory ballstriking them to death on Sunday. He posted this all day Sunday. The stat clearly shows that if he doesn’t putt #1 on Sunday he doesn’t likely win. Or if he does he has to eek it out.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

So only Sunday matters? Doesn’t matter what happened before or during because, to you, his good putting on Sunday won him the tournament?? Forget the fact he putted so poorly on Saturday, doesn’t fit your narrative. Focus only on one day out of four because it makes your argument. He didn’t even finish on the top 30% of the field in putting but yes, on Sunday, he putted great.

> @bladehunter said:

> > @ksgolfcoach said:

> > No, it’s the exact opposite. Rory was #1 in driving but #11 in putting this week. I think it fits the narrative perfectly. Or are you still pushing this narrative that putting is the most important and stats don’t matter because “your eyes tell you?”

> >

> > > @bladehunter said:

> > > @ksgolfcoach

> > >

> > > So the fact that Rory has the best putting round of anyone on Sunday isn’t glaring ? Hardly fits with the narrative that was being posted about Rory winning by superior ball striking. Right ?

> >

> >

>

> I said Sunday. He won because he had the best putting round when it mattered. They all started Sunday in a dead heat. The hot putter won. The stat shows just that. The poster I spoke to before you decided to answer for him was crowing about Rory ballstriking them to death on Sunday. He posted this all day Sunday. The stat clearly shows that if he doesn’t putt #1 on Sunday he doesn’t likely win. Or if he does he has to eek it out.

> @ksgolfcoach said:

> So only Sunday matters? Doesn’t matter what happened before or during because, to you, his good putting on Sunday won him the tournament?? Forget the fact he putted so poorly on Saturday, doesn’t fit your narrative. Focus only on one day out of four because it makes your argument. He didn’t even finish on the top 30% of the field in putting but yes, on Sunday, he putted great.

>

> > @bladehunter said:

> > > @ksgolfcoach said:

> > > No, it’s the exact opposite. Rory was #1 in driving but #11 in putting this week. I think it fits the narrative perfectly. Or are you still pushing this narrative that putting is the most important and stats don’t matter because “your eyes tell you?”

> > >

> > > > @bladehunter said:

> > > > @ksgolfcoach

> > > >

> > > > So the fact that Rory has the best putting round of anyone on Sunday isn’t glaring ? Hardly fits with the narrative that was being posted about Rory winning by superior ball striking. Right ?

> > >

> > >

> >

> > I said Sunday. He won because he had the best putting round when it mattered. They all started Sunday in a dead heat. The hot putter won. The stat shows just that. The poster I spoke to before you decided to answer for him was crowing about Rory ballstriking them to death on Sunday. He posted this all day Sunday. The stat clearly shows that if he doesn’t putt #1 on Sunday he doesn’t likely win. Or if he does he has to eek it out.

>

>

Lol. I’m sorry your panties are riding up.

I simply do not buy what you sell regarding putting being an afterthought.

I posted a polite question in the other thread regarding putting and how it’s weighted In strokes gained neither of you touched it. I wonder why ? If you care to do so now I’d be happy to listen.

I do not believe that one truly is more important than the other. I corrected my first statement before. Which didn’t suit you two since you are truly only looking to toot the Broadie horn. Fine. I get that. People need things to believe in. But that doesn’t mean that your tripe about putting being an afterthought is true. Sure you don’t come out and say that. But. You absolutely imply it , unless cornered , and then you pivot and will sure say “ yes it matters a great deal , just not as much “. Which is a non answer.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Going to personal attacks again...shocking.

Nobody ever said putting was an afterthought and you never asked how it was weighed. If you did I would have answered your question as you obviously don’t know. Ball striking is more important, the facts show that, you just don’t want to see it because it doesn’t fit your narrative. This argument is stupid, you continue to want to fight because that’s the type of person you are. Rory led the tournament in driving but wasn’t even in the top 33% in putting. Somehow, you will continue to insist he won because of putting. Keep going l, it’s entertaining

> @bladehunter said:

> > @ksgolfcoach said:

> > So only Sunday matters? Doesn’t matter what happened before or during because, to you, his good putting on Sunday won him the tournament?? Forget the fact he putted so poorly on Saturday, doesn’t fit your narrative. Focus only on one day out of four because it makes your argument. He didn’t even finish on the top 30% of the field in putting but yes, on Sunday, he putted great.

> >

> > > @bladehunter said:

> > > > @ksgolfcoach said:

> > > > No, it’s the exact opposite. Rory was #1 in driving but #11 in putting this week. I think it fits the narrative perfectly. Or are you still pushing this narrative that putting is the most important and stats don’t matter because “your eyes tell you?”

> > > >

> > > > > @bladehunter said:

> > > > > @ksgolfcoach

> > > > >

> > > > > So the fact that Rory has the best putting round of anyone on Sunday isn’t glaring ? Hardly fits with the narrative that was being posted about Rory winning by superior ball striking. Right ?

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > > I said Sunday. He won because he had the best putting round when it mattered. They all started Sunday in a dead heat. The hot putter won. The stat shows just that. The poster I spoke to before you decided to answer for him was crowing about Rory ballstriking them to death on Sunday. He posted this all day Sunday. The stat clearly shows that if he doesn’t putt #1 on Sunday he doesn’t likely win. Or if he does he has to eek it out.

> >

> >

>

> Lol. I’m sorry your panties are riding up.

>

> I simply do not buy what you sell regarding putting being an afterthought.

>

> I posted a polite question in the other thread regarding putting and how it’s weighted In strokes gained neither of you touched it. I wonder why ? If you care to do so now I’d be happy to listen.

>

> I do not believe that one truly is more important than the other. I corrected my first statement before. Which didn’t suit you two since you are truly only looking to toot the Broadie horn. Fine. I get that. People need things to believe in. But that doesn’t mean that your tripe about putting being an afterthought is true. Sure you don’t come out and say that. But. You absolutely imply it , unless cornered , and then you pivot and will sure say “ yes it matters a great deal , just not as much “. Which is a non answer.

@ksgolfcoach

Absolutely asked about the weight. Go back and look. It’s atill there.

As for “ the type poster I am “. Its you who searched out this argument. You responded to a post I sent @ someone else. Riding around kicking ant hills has a name. Clear to see your aim. Which is why you also flagged me as soon as I responded.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

A bogey due to a bad drive on Thursday and a birdie due to making a 20-foot putt on Sunday are each worth one stroke. As are a long putt for birdie on Thursday and a lost stroke due to a bad drive on Sunday.

Fanciful narratives about "when it matters" are pretty silly, don't you think? Every stroke counts the same no matter what day it falls on or what club was responsible.

> @"North Butte" said:

> A bogey due to a bad drive on Thursday and a birdie due to making a 20-foot putt on Sunday are each worth one stroke. As are a long putt for birdie on Thursday and a lost stroke due to a bad drive on Sunday.

>

> Fanciful narratives about "when it matters" are pretty silly, don't you think? Every stroke counts the same no matter what day it falls on or what club was responsible.

im not going to argue this further..BUT to respond to you quickly to explain my opinion , ill ask ..Do you not think that Rory dropping tough par putts on top of that Bomb Brooks made, and then slow rolling that birdie in with Brooks dead eye ballin it made a difference? It absolutely put all the pressure on Brooks. and he folded under it. My **OPINION** is that if Rory misses those 2 putts he loses. I believe that they were that important. again ..Not ..not ..not arguing any more..JUST letting YOU know my OPINION> lol

• Like 1

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

> @HoosierMizuno said:

> > @mukster said:

> > It's not like this hasn't been discussed here before. I don't believe there will be any rollback on equipment or <> bifurcation of any kind. They don't have to design any newer courses or make it unplayable for the members either. The easiest thing to do is to grow the rough and narrow the fairways in the right spots for the tournament and then cut it back to normal once the PGA show leaves town. This is in fact as easy as it sounds and if the rough is 12 inches beyond 300 yards, you have basically limited the driver and/or the ball without having to create new equipment.

> >

>

> hitting it far is a skill and should be rewarded. the problem i have with simply tightening the fairways at 300 and growing the rough to absurd height beyond a certain yardage does one thing...hurt the guys who have a skillset that allows them to hit the ball far.

>

> why should be have luke donald and furyk pull driver and hit it to 290 and then force koepka or dj to pull 3 iron and hit it to the same spot because the risk of missing fairway is so penal. you'd effectively be rewarding short hitters.

>

> the only solution is to reward ball strikers by limiting the size of driver and/or forgiveness along with making the ball spin more. penalize mishits, but don't penalize swing speed.

Hitting it far is one skill, but hitting it far accurately should be the skill that is rewarded. Blasting a ball 350 yards without a care in the world if it is offline is one thing, but to hit a ball 350 yards knowing that if you don’t hit the fairway you have no chance to control the next shot significantly increases the required skill. Make the rough penal for the entire golf course, not just beyond some arbitrary number. Want to lay up off the tee? That 3 iron or 3 wood still better be straight. It wouldn’t give the Luke Donald’s an advantage, because they would still have to hit the fairway.