Why does golf continue to have a dress code?

monkeyboy

> @pholway said:

> Golf attire these days is as comfortable as anything else. Especially in the colder months golf pants are the most comfortable. Plus I enjoy "scripting" my rounds. I wear shorts sneakers and t shirt to the range in most cases

Isn't that what started this thread, the OP didn't want to be "forced" to wear specific attire when he went to the range?

> @davep043 said:

> > @pholway said:

> > Golf attire these days is as comfortable as anything else. Especially in the colder months golf pants are the most comfortable. Plus I enjoy "scripting" my rounds. I wear shorts sneakers and t shirt to the range in most cases

>

> Isn't that what started this thread, the OP didn't want to be "forced" to wear specific attire when he went to the range?

I believe so, I know some of my previous comments were directly about this situation and the conversation morphed.

To the OP, I'm all for gym shorts on the range. I know the days I go my schedule is usually work, gym, range, and having to bring two changes of clothes is annoying to me and my laundry.

> @davep043 said:

> > @pholway said:

> > Golf attire these days is as comfortable as anything else. Especially in the colder months golf pants are the most comfortable. Plus I enjoy "scripting" my rounds. I wear shorts sneakers and t shirt to the range in most cases

>

> Isn't that what started this thread, the OP didn't want to be "forced" to wear specific attire when he went to the range?

Yeah i was referring to the public ranges i venture to, dont belong to a club. Cost prohibitive near me. As for a private clubs dress code on the range, how hard is it to put on a collard shirt?

TM SIM2 Stock Ventus

TM SIM2 MAX Rocket Oban Devotion
Callaway Rogue 17 Degree Project X Even Flow Blue
Titleist TS2 21 Degree Tensei Blue
Titleist T300 5-GW Nippon 950GH
Vokey SM6 54 + 58 KBS C Taper
Odyssey EXO 7s
Vice Pro Plus / Kirkland Signature

> @pholway said:

> > @davep043 said:

> > > @pholway said:

> > > Golf attire these days is as comfortable as anything else. Especially in the colder months golf pants are the most comfortable. Plus I enjoy "scripting" my rounds. I wear shorts sneakers and t shirt to the range in most cases

> >

> > Isn't that what started this thread, the OP didn't want to be "forced" to wear specific attire when he went to the range?

>

> Yeah i was referring to the public ranges i venture to, dont belong to a club. Cost prohibitive near me. As for a private clubs dress code on the range, how hard is it to put on a collard shirt?

The real question is, why spend all the money it costs to belong to a private club when you can't stand to dress and act like a member of that club? Seems like spending good money to buy something you don't even want.

Kind of like dropping $120 at Ruth's Chris then complaining they expect you to eat steak instead of mac 'n cheese.

• Like 1

> @"North Butte" said:

> > @pholway said:

> > > @davep043 said:

> > > > @pholway said:

> > > > Golf attire these days is as comfortable as anything else. Especially in the colder months golf pants are the most comfortable. Plus I enjoy "scripting" my rounds. I wear shorts sneakers and t shirt to the range in most cases

> > >

> > > Isn't that what started this thread, the OP didn't want to be "forced" to wear specific attire when he went to the range?

> >

> > Yeah i was referring to the public ranges i venture to, dont belong to a club. Cost prohibitive near me. As for a private clubs dress code on the range, how hard is it to put on a collard shirt?

>

> The real question is, why spend all the money it costs to belong to a private club when you can't stand to dress and act like a member of that club? Seems like spending good money to buy something you don't even want.

>

> Kind of like dropping $120 at Ruth's Chris then complaining they expect you to eat steak instead of mac 'n cheese.

This

TM SIM2 Stock Ventus

Odyssey EXO 7s

> @pholway said:

> > @"North Butte" said:

> > > @pholway said:

> > > > @davep043 said:

> > > > > @pholway said:

> > > > > Golf attire these days is as comfortable as anything else. Especially in the colder months golf pants are the most comfortable. Plus I enjoy "scripting" my rounds. I wear shorts sneakers and t shirt to the range in most cases

> > > >

> > > > Isn't that what started this thread, the OP didn't want to be "forced" to wear specific attire when he went to the range?

> > >

> > > Yeah i was referring to the public ranges i venture to, dont belong to a club. Cost prohibitive near me. As for a private clubs dress code on the range, how hard is it to put on a collard shirt?

> >

> > The real question is, why spend all the money it costs to belong to a private club when you can't stand to dress and act like a member of that club? Seems like spending good money to buy something you don't even want.

> >

> > Kind of like dropping $120 at Ruth's Chris then complaining they expect you to eat steak instead of mac 'n cheese.

>

> This

Not really. If you (over)pay for a private club, you’re paying for the course/amenities. Not to be judged on what you wear. This is why people look at golfers as pretentious b-holes

> @FaReal87 said:

> > @pholway said:

> > > @"North Butte" said:

> > > > @pholway said:

> > > > > @davep043 said:

> > > > > > @pholway said:

> > > > > > Golf attire these days is as comfortable as anything else. Especially in the colder months golf pants are the most comfortable. Plus I enjoy "scripting" my rounds. I wear shorts sneakers and t shirt to the range in most cases

> > > > >

> > > > > Isn't that what started this thread, the OP didn't want to be "forced" to wear specific attire when he went to the range?

> > > >

> > > > Yeah i was referring to the public ranges i venture to, dont belong to a club. Cost prohibitive near me. As for a private clubs dress code on the range, how hard is it to put on a collard shirt?

> > >

> > > The real question is, why spend all the money it costs to belong to a private club when you can't stand to dress and act like a member of that club? Seems like spending good money to buy something you don't even want.

> > >

> > > Kind of like dropping $120 at Ruth's Chris then complaining they expect you to eat steak instead of mac 'n cheese.

> >

> > This

>

> Not really. If you (over)pay for a private club, you’re paying for the course/amenities. Not to be judged on what you wear. This is why people look at golfers as pretentious b-holes

Well I think that view is the old adage a few bad apples giving a name for the lot. Most golfers I've met or are in a group with are great people from all walks of life. It is those idiots who walk around with their heads in clouds thinking doing everything there way is the only. I've literally only been paired with one of those people and it still leaves a sour taste at times.

> @FaReal87 said:

> > @pholway said:

> > > > @pholway said:

> > > > > > Golf attire these days is as comfortable as anything else. Especially in the colder months golf pants are the most comfortable. Plus I enjoy "scripting" my rounds. I wear shorts sneakers and t shirt to the range in most cases

> > > > >

> > > > > Isn't that what started this thread, the OP didn't want to be "forced" to wear specific attire when he went to the range?

> > > >

> > > > Yeah i was referring to the public ranges i venture to, dont belong to a club. Cost prohibitive near me. As for a private clubs dress code on the range, how hard is it to put on a collard shirt?

> > >

> > > The real question is, why spend all the money it costs to belong to a private club when you can't stand to dress and act like a member of that club? Seems like spending good money to buy something you don't even want.

> > >

> > > Kind of like dropping $120 at Ruth's Chris then complaining they expect you to eat steak instead of mac 'n cheese.

> >

> > This

>

> Not really. If you (over)pay for a private club, you’re paying for the course/amenities. Not to be judged on what you wear. This is why people look at golfers as pretentious b-holes

I think the old adage about a few bad apples ruin it for everyone is especially true. As seen here in the forums and my experience I've met and played with really great people of all walks of life. It's the actually pretentious b-holes, walking with there head in clouds, thinking their way is the only who give golfers a bad view. Sadly, that view stays, I've been playing about 15 years and only played with a true DB once, and it still leaves a sour taste at times.

> @FaReal87 said:

> > @pholway said:

> > > > @pholway said:

> > > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > >

> >

> > This

>

Sure but then i go back to my original point. How hard is it to put on a pair of shorts and a golf shirt?

TM SIM2 Stock Ventus

Odyssey EXO 7s

> @FaReal87 said:

> > @pholway said:

> > > > @pholway said:

> > > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > >

> >

> > This

>

I pay for a private club so I have a nicely manicured course at all times - and I dont have to be around idiots. So I guess that's mostly true?

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS

> @FaReal87 said:

You're not judged on what you wear -- you're judged on whether you follow the rules of the club.

The dress code applies to all facilities at our club (course, range, and clubhouse). The pool and tennis areas have their own guidelines which are much looser. I can't ever recall a driving range posting dress requirements but I guess they would use common sense if someone showed up in obvious violation to normal clothing. Most every public course has guidelines which is their right. My take is if you're going to play (or practice) why take a chance on being refused entry for improper dress. I had this very thing happen to me when I invited a guest to play at my club. We had previously played in a few outings together which he funded so I was simply reciprocating. He was always properly dressed so I never told him how to dress at my club (which was a mistake). He showed up wearing jeans and so he had to purchased pants in the pro shop. He was OK with it but I felt slightly guilty for not being clear up front.

> @pholway said:

> > @FaReal87 said:

> > > @pholway said:

> > > > @"North Butte" said:

> > > > > @pholway said:

> > > > > > @davep043 said:

> > > > > > > @pholway said:

> > > > > > > Golf attire these days is as comfortable as anything else. Especially in the colder months golf pants are the most comfortable. Plus I enjoy "scripting" my rounds. I wear shorts sneakers and t shirt to the range in most cases

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Isn't that what started this thread, the OP didn't want to be "forced" to wear specific attire when he went to the range?

> > > > >

> > > > > Yeah i was referring to the public ranges i venture to, dont belong to a club. Cost prohibitive near me. As for a private clubs dress code on the range, how hard is it to put on a collard shirt?

> > > >

> > > > The real question is, why spend all the money it costs to belong to a private club when you can't stand to dress and act like a member of that club? Seems like spending good money to buy something you don't even want.

> > > >

> > > > Kind of like dropping $120 at Ruth's Chris then complaining they expect you to eat steak instead of mac 'n cheese.

> > >

> > > This

> >

> > Not really. If you (over)pay for a private club, you’re paying for the course/amenities. Not to be judged on what you wear. This is why people look at golfers as pretentious b-holes

>

> Sure but then i go back to my original point. How hard is it to put on a pair of shorts and a golf shirt?

If you go out and shoot a 75 in shorts and a T-shirt, who are you affecting on the course?

I think there's also an undercurrent in this thread of people associating not wearing traditional golf clothing and being a complete hack.

> @FaReal87 said:

> > @pholway said:

> > > @FaReal87 said:

> > > > @pholway said:

> > > > > @"North Butte" said:

> > > > > > > @davep043 said:

> > > > > > > > @pholway said:

> > > > > > > > Golf attire these days is as comfortable as anything else. Especially in the colder months golf pants are the most comfortable. Plus I enjoy "scripting" my rounds. I wear shorts sneakers and t shirt to the range in most cases

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Isn't that what started this thread, the OP didn't want to be "forced" to wear specific attire when he went to the range?

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Yeah i was referring to the public ranges i venture to, dont belong to a club. Cost prohibitive near me. As for a private clubs dress code on the range, how hard is it to put on a collard shirt?

> > > > >

> > > > > The real question is, why spend all the money it costs to belong to a private club when you can't stand to dress and act like a member of that club? Seems like spending good money to buy something you don't even want.

> > > > >

> > > > > Kind of like dropping $120 at Ruth's Chris then complaining they expect you to eat steak instead of mac 'n cheese.

> > > >

> > > > This

> > >

> > > Not really. If you (over)pay for a private club, you’re paying for the course/amenities. Not to be judged on what you wear. This is why people look at golfers as pretentious b-holes

> >

> > Sure but then i go back to my original point. How hard is it to put on a pair of shorts and a golf shirt?

>

> If you go out and shoot a 75 in shorts and a T-shirt, who are you affecting on the course?

>

> I think there's also an undercurrent in this thread of people associating not wearing traditional golf clothing and being a complete hack.

Alright where do you draw the line then? Shirtless ok with you?

> @FaReal87 said:

> > @pholway said:

> > > > @pholway said:

> > > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > >

> >

> > This

>

Im not a member of a club but have been considering joining one, and the main reason is to be around other golfers who respect the game, and have proper etiquette. There are really nice pub courses everywhere, its not about the course, at least not in my situation. If like to be around people who fix their divots, respect cart rules, and yes dress halfway decent. I also dont have to worry about some jackhole texting/calling/talking/ going through bag midswing. I call this being around likeminded people, but im sure you would call this pretentious...?

> @Red4282 said:

> Alright where do you draw the line then? Shirtless ok with you?

Youre just so out of touch! #SB2K16 BRRROOOOO

![](https://media.golfdigest.com/photos/571a717f426c253166b3b506/master/w_768/160422-SB2K16.png "")

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS

> @Red4282 said:>

> Im not a member of a club but have been considering joining one, and the main reason is to be around other golfers who respect the game, and have proper etiquette. There are really nice pub courses everywhere, its not about the course, at least not in my situation. If like to be around people who fix their divots, respect cart rules, and yes dress halfway decent. I also dont have to worry about some jackhole texting/calling/talking/ going through bag midswing. I call this being around likeminded people, but im sure you would call this pretentious...?

If those things are important, be sure to vet your potential clubs VERY carefully. No matter the reputation or cost of a club, the memberships can be a mixed bag. Including possibly some members whose behavior you may find not so like-minded as you would hope.

> @third-times-a-charm said:

> > @Red4282 said:

> > Alright where do you draw the line then? Shirtless ok with you?

>

> Youre just so out of touch! #SB2K16 BRRROOOOO

>

> ![](https://media.golfdigest.com/photos/571a717f426c253166b3b506/master/w_768/160422-SB2K16.png "")

>

>

Lol exactly, i sure hope this isnt something he wants... even he has some standard of decency

> @"North Butte" said:

> > @Red4282 said:>

> > Im not a member of a club but have been considering joining one, and the main reason is to be around other golfers who respect the game, and have proper etiquette. There are really nice pub courses everywhere, its not about the course, at least not in my situation. If like to be around people who fix their divots, respect cart rules, and yes dress halfway decent. I also dont have to worry about some jackhole texting/calling/talking/ going through bag midswing. I call this being around likeminded people, but im sure you would call this pretentious...?

>

> If those things are important, be sure to vet your potential clubs VERY carefully. No matter the reputation or cost of a club, the memberships can be a mixed bag. Including possibly some members whose behavior you may find not so like-minded as you would hope.

Well the main reason i havent is i dont care for all the social aspects of it. It would be golf only. And yea im sure some clubs have some jackholes. Lol

> @Red4282 said:

> > @"North Butte" said:

> > > @Red4282 said:>

> > > Im not a member of a club but have been considering joining one, and the main reason is to be around other golfers who respect the game, and have proper etiquette. There are really nice pub courses everywhere, its not about the course, at least not in my situation. If like to be around people who fix their divots, respect cart rules, and yes dress halfway decent. I also dont have to worry about some jackhole texting/calling/talking/ going through bag midswing. I call this being around likeminded people, but im sure you would call this pretentious...?

> >

> > If those things are important, be sure to vet your potential clubs VERY carefully. No matter the reputation or cost of a club, the memberships can be a mixed bag. Including possibly some members whose behavior you may find not so like-minded as you would hope.

>

> Well the main reason i havent is i dont care for all the social aspects of it. It would be golf only. And yea im sure some clubs have some jackholes. Lol

When I first joined my club quite a few years ago now, I initially took a little flack from a couple of the older members I became acquainted with because I never showed up except to play golf. In fact, to this day my wife (not a golfer) has never seen foot on the property. There are still plenty of members who are there for every dinner, banquet, holiday to-do or special event held in the clubhouse. But it's been years since anyone bothered to try and twist my arm into attending.

Fortunately, I get more than my money's worth out of the golf. So I don't feel like I'm "wasting" anything by not driving clear across town on a Friday evening after work to have dinner and drinks in the clubhouse. But there are probably a few clubs out there who still look down their noses at "trunk slammers" like me.

P.S. Although I'm not really a trunk slammer I guess, as my monthly food and beverage bills will attest. I just do my clubhouse time before and after golf.

> @FaReal87 said:

> If you go out and shoot a 75 in shorts and a T-shirt, who are you affecting on the course?

>

> I think there's also an undercurrent in this thread of people associating not wearing traditional golf clothing and being a complete hack.

I think there are two undercurrents, as you call them. One is as you say, associating those who don't wear "real" golf clothing with rubes or hacks. The other tries to label anyone who prefers to have dress codes as an elitist snob. Neither one is true in the majority of cases.

• Like 1

You can call golf a gentleman's sport, you can call golf a shepherd's sport, but the dress code, co-opted by both private courses and many public ones, is a country club dress code - not something inherent to the game. I think it's a fine thing that most private clubs have a dress code. I wish there were more high quality courses with no dress code. Options are good. Freedom of choice is good.

• Like 1

> @PuttCurseRepeat said:

> You can call golf a gentleman's sport, you can call golf a shepherd's sport, but the dress code, co-opted by both private courses and many public ones, is a country club dress code - not something inherent to the game. I think it's a fine thing that most private clubs have a dress code. I wish there were more high quality courses with no dress code. Options are good. Freedom of choice is good.

Yea and market determines that somewhat. A high quality course with no dress code isnt going to do well.

> @Red4282 said:

> > @PuttCurseRepeat said:

> > You can call golf a gentleman's sport, you can call golf a shepherd's sport, but the dress code, co-opted by both private courses and many public ones, is a country club dress code - not something inherent to the game. I think it's a fine thing that most private clubs have a dress code. I wish there were more high quality courses with no dress code. Options are good. Freedom of choice is good.

>

> Yea and market determines that somewhat. A high quality course with no dress code isnt going to do well.

Perhaps it wouldn't do well. Can you think of any examples where this was the case?

This is interesting conversation. I see both sides, and personally could careless what anyone wears on the course, especially during casual rounds that must of us play. A tournament where people are spectating, people are sponsoring, I can understand why a dress code should be implemented, but a casual weekend round when it's a bunch of groups of friends out having a good time, who cares what they wear? Who's seeing them on the course that actually matters - Pretentious Becky looking in from clubhouse who doesn't want to be associated with people not wearing a $200 outfit?

This is also coming from a person who has only played on public courses, and weekly sees people on muni courses all over Los Angeles wearing everything imaginable. And guess what, I continue walking to my ball and go about my round, almost like the type of clothes they were wearing had nothing to do with me.

> @PuttCurseRepeat said:

> > @Red4282 said:

> > > @PuttCurseRepeat said:

> > > You can call golf a gentleman's sport, you can call golf a shepherd's sport, but the dress code, co-opted by both private courses and many public ones, is a country club dress code - not something inherent to the game. I think it's a fine thing that most private clubs have a dress code. I wish there were more high quality courses with no dress code. Options are good. Freedom of choice is good.

> >

> > Yea and market determines that somewhat. A high quality course with no dress code isnt going to do well.

>

> Perhaps it wouldn't do well. Can you think of any examples where this was the case?

Exactly. Why wouldn’t it do well?

> @FaReal87 said:

> > > @Red4282 said:

> > > > @PuttCurseRepeat said:

> > > > You can call golf a gentleman's sport, you can call golf a shepherd's sport, but the dress code, co-opted by both private courses and many public ones, is a country club dress code - not something inherent to the game. I think it's a fine thing that most private clubs have a dress code. I wish there were more high quality courses with no dress code. Options are good. Freedom of choice is good.

> > >

> > > Yea and market determines that somewhat. A high quality course with no dress code isnt going to do well.

> >

> > Perhaps it wouldn't do well. Can you think of any examples where this was the case?

>

> Exactly. Why wouldn’t it do well?

The reason I think I would not do well...I think there are more people who appreciate the fact that courses have a "proper golf attire" requirement than there are people who would be ok letting anyone and everyone on the course in whatever attire they show up with. Courses need play to stay alive. If the majority does not want to be around people perceived to not have an appreciation for proper attire then the amount of play the course gets will suffer. JMHO

> @Red4282 said:

> > You can call golf a gentleman's sport, you can call golf a shepherd's sport, but the dress code, co-opted by both private courses and many public ones, is a country club dress code - not something inherent to the game. I think it's a fine thing that most private clubs have a dress code. I wish there were more high quality courses with no dress code. Options are good. Freedom of choice is good.

>

> Yea and market determines that somewhat. A high quality course with no dress code isnt going to do well.

I was at Torrey Pines a few weeks ago, no dress code, yet still steep green fees; place is doing fine.

> @qtlaw said:

> > @Red4282 said:

> > > @PuttCurseRepeat said:

> > > You can call golf a gentleman's sport, you can call golf a shepherd's sport, but the dress code, co-opted by both private courses and many public ones, is a country club dress code - not something inherent to the game. I think it's a fine thing that most private clubs have a dress code. I wish there were more high quality courses with no dress code. Options are good. Freedom of choice is good.

> >

> > Yea and market determines that somewhat. A high quality course with no dress code isnt going to do well.

>

> I was at Torrey Pines a few weeks ago, no dress code, yet still steep green fees; place is doing fine.

Theres a dress code but its much more relaxed, and you named one course. Id say this is an outlier/exception

> @Red4282 said:

> > @qtlaw said:

> > > @Red4282 said:

> > > > @PuttCurseRepeat said:

> > > > You can call golf a gentleman's sport, you can call golf a shepherd's sport, but the dress code, co-opted by both private courses and many public ones, is a country club dress code - not something inherent to the game. I think it's a fine thing that most private clubs have a dress code. I wish there were more high quality courses with no dress code. Options are good. Freedom of choice is good.

> > >

> > > Yea and market determines that somewhat. A high quality course with no dress code isnt going to do well.

> >

> > I was at Torrey Pines a few weeks ago, no dress code, yet still steep green fees; place is doing fine.

>

> Theres a dress code but its much more relaxed, and you named one course. Id say this is an outlier/exception

Bethpage in NY doesn’t mention a strict dress code. I think there was a tournament there recently. But that strict dress code at a country club/muni really makes the course hum. ??‍♂️