Why does golf continue to have a dress code?

monkeyboy

It's more of a social token or gesture. If you had no code then in hot weather you'd get topless players on the course. It's even possible on rare occasion the topless player could be female in the right location and environment with no code. Not to mention the fact you'd get players in ripped jeans, gothic all black attire and everything else in between. Not a good look for golf and the game (and club) would end rapidly.

> @NonCompetitive1 said:

> It's more of a social token or gesture. If you had no code then in hot weather you'd get topless players on the course. It's even possible on rare occasion the topless player could be female in the right location and environment with no code. Not to mention the fact you'd get players in ripped jeans, gothic all black attire and everything else in between. Not a good look for golf and the game (and club) would end rapidly.

wcb2hkomy55n.jpeg

I guess Gary Player isn’t allowed either

> @NonCompetitive1 said:

> It's more of a social token or gesture. If you had no code then in hot weather you'd get topless players on the course. It's even possible on rare occasion the topless player could be female in the right location and environment with no code. Not to mention the fact you'd get players in ripped jeans, gothic all black attire and everything else in between. Not a good look for golf and the game (and club) would end rapidly.

Oh no, there was a "Gothic dressed in all black" at your favorite restaurant today, are you going to quit eating there now? The place with your favorite meal and you really enjoy your time at, now you're going to quit going because of the way someone else was dressed?

> @jcolton said:

> > @NonCompetitive1 said:

> > It's more of a social token or gesture. If you had no code then in hot weather you'd get topless players on the course. It's even possible on rare occasion the topless player could be female in the right location and environment with no code. Not to mention the fact you'd get players in ripped jeans, gothic all black attire and everything else in between. Not a good look for golf and the game (and club) would end rapidly.

>

> Oh no, there was a "Gothic dressed in all black" at your favorite restaurant today, are you going to quit eating there now? The place with your favorite meal and you really enjoy your time at, now you're going to quit going because of the way someone else was dressed?

I don't care. I never said I did. I don't care if people play shirtless or women play topless. I never said I did. The problem is plenty do and if you run a golf course like a business then you have to be wary that people get easily offended and don't pretend they don't. You got offended by my comment for example and took it the wrong way.

I only look at the code from the point of view of the golf club. It might not make the experience as fun as it could be for the player, but from the perspective of the club itself it's essential for a club. What I don't agree with is not allowing shoe changes in a car park, petty stuff like that is too much for me. But like everything else it's an opinion, but don't think I'm offended by anything. Nothing offends me. I'm past that. Long past it.

> @NonCompetitive1 said:

do you honestly believe that? seriously.....? and why would any of that actually cause an end to a club? if it is a good course in good condition do you honestly believe people will not go because other people who they are not playing with are not wearing a polo?

a lot of arguments along this vein are sounding a lot like the old anti-gay "if a man can marry a man then soon we'll have people marrying animals!"

> @Zac1321 said:

> > @NonCompetitive1 said:

> > It's more of a social token or gesture. If you had no code then in hot weather you'd get topless players on the course. It's even possible on rare occasion the topless player could be female in the right location and environment with no code. Not to mention the fact you'd get players in ripped jeans, gothic all black attire and everything else in between. Not a good look for golf and the game (and club) would end rapidly.

>

> do you honestly believe that? seriously.....? and why would any of that actually cause an end to a club? if it is a good course in good condition do you honestly believe people will not go because other people who they are not playing with are not wearing a polo?

>

> a lot of arguments along this vein are sounding a lot like the old anti-gay "if a man can marry a man then soon we'll have people marrying animals!"

You sound young by the post. I'm not willing to go into depth. Look at the post above yours. I'm not posting again I don't want to start a flame war (or get banned), that wasn't the intention.

• Like 1

> @FaReal87 said:

> > @Red4282 said:

> > > @qtlaw said:

> > > > @Red4282 said:

> > > > > @PuttCurseRepeat said:

> > > > > You can call golf a gentleman's sport, you can call golf a shepherd's sport, but the dress code, co-opted by both private courses and many public ones, is a country club dress code - not something inherent to the game. I think it's a fine thing that most private clubs have a dress code. I wish there were more high quality courses with no dress code. Options are good. Freedom of choice is good.

> > > >

> > > > Yea and market determines that somewhat. A high quality course with no dress code isnt going to do well.

> > >

> > > I was at Torrey Pines a few weeks ago, no dress code, yet still steep green fees; place is doing fine.

> >

> > Theres a dress code but its much more relaxed, and you named one course. Id say this is an outlier/exception

>

> Bethpage in NY doesn’t mention a strict dress code. I think there was a tournament there recently. But that strict dress code at a country club/muni really makes the course hum. ??‍♂️

And you never answered my question about if your ok with shirtless..

> @Red4282 said:

> > @FaReal87 said:

> > > @Red4282 said:

> > > > @qtlaw said:

> > > > > @Red4282 said:

> > > > > > @PuttCurseRepeat said:

> > > > > > You can call golf a gentleman's sport, you can call golf a shepherd's sport, but the dress code, co-opted by both private courses and many public ones, is a country club dress code - not something inherent to the game. I think it's a fine thing that most private clubs have a dress code. I wish there were more high quality courses with no dress code. Options are good. Freedom of choice is good.

> > > > >

> > > > > Yea and market determines that somewhat. A high quality course with no dress code isnt going to do well.

> > > >

> > > > I was at Torrey Pines a few weeks ago, no dress code, yet still steep green fees; place is doing fine.

> > >

> > > Theres a dress code but its much more relaxed, and you named one course. Id say this is an outlier/exception

> >

> > Bethpage in NY doesn’t mention a strict dress code. I think there was a tournament there recently. But that strict dress code at a country club/muni really makes the course hum. ??‍♂️

>

> And you never answered my question about if your ok with shirtless..

Honestly, no BS, I played a local muni last week and two guys ahead of my group played shirtless for two holes because it was unseasonably warm in the Boston area. Has zero effect on my game and I would go back to that course in a heartbeat. Do I think you should play topless? I’d say no. If a convenience store can have a “no shirt, no shoes, no service” policy, a course can to.

This is really a pretty easy one no matter which side of the argument you're on. If you do not like the rules at a particular course, no one is forcing you to patronize that particular facility; simply find one that has a dress code (or lack thereof) that suits your preference.

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

> @dpb5031 said:

> This is really a pretty easy one no matter which side of the argument you're on. If you do not like the rules at a particular course, no one is forcing you to patronize that particular facility; simply find one that has a dress code (or lack thereof) that suits your preference.

>

>

What in the heck is wrong with you!? That makes way too much sense!

• Like 1

I think all of this actually boils down to the individual and how they want to dress/present themselves.

If you want to go to dinner on a Saturday night, but you’re wearing sweatpants and a t-shirt, there’s a place you can go and be fully accepted. Conversely, if you are in a blazer and tie, there’s a place that you will fit in, as well.

This works for equipment and gear as well. Nobody is making you, the golfer, but new equipment to play certain courses. No one is making you buy a new Scotty headcover or Vessel bag, either. But you do it as an expression of your style, personality and tastes.

That’s really what the modern golf dress code has become; an opportunity for your own personal expression. Sometimes it’s dictated to you what that floor (or ceiling) may be, but your patronage of those places is essentially an extension of that expression, as well.

Just my $.02 from someone who enjoys golf fashion.

• Like 1

Titleist TSi3 Driver
Taylormade M6 15 3-Wood
Titleist u500 2i
Titleist T100 Irons 4-P
Titleist Vokey Wedges 50, 54, 58
TM Spider Tour X
Titleist Pro V1

RLX Apparel with Footjoy Shoes & Gloves

> @ctfuzz21 said:

> I think all of this actually boils down to the individual and how they want to dress/present themselves.

> If you want to go to dinner on a Saturday night, but you’re wearing sweatpants and a t-shirt, there’s a place you can go and be fully accepted. Conversely, if you are in a blazer and tie, there’s a place that you will fit in, as well.

> This works for equipment and gear as well. Nobody is making you, the golfer, but new equipment to play certain courses. No one is making you buy a new Scotty headcover or Vessel bag, either. But you do it as an expression of your style, personality and tastes.

> That’s really what the modern golf dress code has become; an opportunity for your own personal expression. Sometimes it’s dictated to you what that floor (or ceiling) may be, but your patronage of those places is essentially an extension of that expression, as well.

> Just my $.02 from someone who enjoys golf fashion.

I agree but some people want to go to the blazer and tie restaurant with sweatpants on... thats the issue.

> @Red4282 said:

> > @ctfuzz21 said:

> > I think all of this actually boils down to the individual and how they want to dress/present themselves.

> > If you want to go to dinner on a Saturday night, but you’re wearing sweatpants and a t-shirt, there’s a place you can go and be fully accepted. Conversely, if you are in a blazer and tie, there’s a place that you will fit in, as well.

> > This works for equipment and gear as well. Nobody is making you, the golfer, but new equipment to play certain courses. No one is making you buy a new Scotty headcover or Vessel bag, either. But you do it as an expression of your style, personality and tastes.

> > That’s really what the modern golf dress code has become; an opportunity for your own personal expression. Sometimes it’s dictated to you what that floor (or ceiling) may be, but your patronage of those places is essentially an extension of that expression, as well.

> > Just my $.02 from someone who enjoys golf fashion.

>

> I agree but some people want to go to the blazer and tie restaurant with sweatpants on... thats the issue.

Slightly off topic, but this reminded me of one of the most ridiculous things I've ever been a part of. A few years ago, I had a client who I was representing in a governmental investigation -- one that was serious enough that he was facing substantial civil fines and the possibility of criminal penalties. I met with this guy for the week before his interview preparing him for an interview with multiple agencies. We met at the HQ of his company and he was dressed to the nines every day. On the Friday before the interview, which was the following Monday, I went over final logistics, which always includes my reminder to dress professionally, wear a suit and tie, get a haircut, shave, etc. I had no worries that he would fail to do as I asked.

Fast-forward to the day of the interview and I'm sitting in an interview room with multiple federal agents and, 15 minutes late, my client strolls in to the interview room wearing untied tennis shoes, grey sweatpants with one leg pulled up to the knee, a white t-shirt (unstained), and a black "puffy" jacket. He had a fresh haircut and he was clean shaven, though. I immediately ask for a few minutes to speak to my client, which was granted. After trying not to lose my shit on him, he offered up this response: "Dude, these guys know I'm a baller, so I had to pull a power move on them. They can't show up dressed like this, but I can. They need to know that. Plus, this entire outfit costs several thousand dollars more than my typical suits." Evidently, his shoes were some special custom deals that cost over $2,000, his t-shirt (a plain, white t-shirt) was around $800, and his sweatpants and puffy jacket were both over $1,000, too.

• Like 1

Driver: TaylorMade SIM 8* (standard setting) with MCA Tensei AV Raw Orange 75TX at 44.5"
3W: TaylorMade M5 15* (standard setting) with Oban Devotion 8 O5 at 42"
Hybrid: PXG Gen 2 0317X 19* (standard setting) with Oban Kiyoshi Purple Hybrid O5 at 39.5"
4i-9i: Callaway '18 Apex MB's with KBS C-Taper 130X at 1/4" long
46: Callaway JAWS MD5 10S
50: Callaway JAWS MD5 10S
54: Callaway JAWS MD5 8C
58: Callaway JAWS MD5 8W
Putter: Kari Lajosi Custom DD201WB

(written without reading all 7 pages)

We've been having this conversation in my circle recently. As a middle ground, we thought that perhaps private clubs could allow for a relaxed dress code if you're simply practicing and not playing the course nor entering the clubhouse, and in the evening. For example, it's 7pm on a Tuesday and I just want to hit a few range balls and the practice green, who cares if I'm wearing workout gear, as long as it's presentable (no rips, no flip flops, no tank tops perhaps).

Given that many private clubs are going sideways or still slowly declining, approaching the problem with old rigid thinking isn't going to help many of them.

Before reading this thread I hadn't given the dress code commonly applied to the game much thought. It was just something that I accepted and will continue to accept. A lot of interesting perspectives have come out in this thread and something I read made me think of restaurant service. It was common 10-15+ years ago, to see servers and bussers dressed in black and white "faux formal" attire - vests, tuxedo style shirts and blouses, bow ties... It was a vestigial policy employed by the operator to make the customer feel noble. This faux formal uniform could be seen in the simplest of restaurants - snack shops, family restaurants - whose meals had just rolled off the back of a Cysco food truck in frozen blocks. The look was often misappropriated. I could go into a Greek restaurant and the servers would be dressed like the footmen of some English lord. That idea of food service attire has largely fallen by the wayside in all but the most traditional establishments. Now it's common in highly regarded restaurants, to be served by someone who, in different circumstances would make you want to cross the street to avoid them.

For better, or worse, public golf hangs on to the vestige of golf as a country club game. Old habits die hard - even ones with little practicality - but surely, as time goes on, we will see a continued relaxing of the dress code across many golf venues.

> @Lenny2 said:

> I’ve been wanting my wife to sew a collar on a couple t shirts so I can get past the dress code. No reason to have to wear golf shirts and slacks at even the nicest private clubs. Hopefully we can slowly pick away at the dress codes until we are in jean shorts and tank tops.

This sounds a lot like you're saying "My way is right, anyone who disagrees is wrong". A choice by a group of people to require a minimum level of attire for those who want to be included in the group is perfectly appropriate. This is no different, to me, than requiring a minimum level of behavior, or a minimum expenditure of money. If you cannot do what is required, or CHOOSE not to, you have other options. YOU may pick away at dress codes, but I am happy they're in place.

> @Lenny2 said:

> I’ve been wanting my wife to sew a collar on a couple t shirts so I can get past the dress code. No reason to have to wear golf shirts and slacks at even the nicest private clubs. Hopefully we can slowly pick away at the dress codes until we are in jean shorts and tank tops.

Who's "we"? You and your wife? Good luck with that.

By the way, when you're telling her to do your shirts, might as well remind her that the grass isn't going to mow itself.

> @davep043 said:

> > @Lenny2 said:

> > I’ve been wanting my wife to sew a collar on a couple t shirts so I can get past the dress code. No reason to have to wear golf shirts and slacks at even the nicest private clubs. Hopefully we can slowly pick away at the dress codes until we are in jean shorts and tank tops.

>

> This sounds a lot like you're saying "My way is right, anyone who disagrees is wrong". A choice by a group of people to require a minimum level of attire for those who want to be included in the group is perfectly appropriate. This is no different, to me, than requiring a minimum level of behavior, or a minimum expenditure of money. If you cannot do what is required, or CHOOSE not to, you have other options. YOU may pick away at dress codes, but I am happy they're in place.

Unfortunately many people today feel that they get to do whatever they want. It's "their right". Well the course and range owners also have "their right" to set rules and expectations. To the comments that say they wish private clubs would loosen their driving range dress codes I disagree. What if you walk through the clubhouse to get to the range or want to get a drink after? Or how about consideration for others - you bring a guest out and they see a bunch of people on the range dressed "overly casual". As others have stated if people want no dress code then there are typically sites that can accommodate them. Pay your money and take your pick as they say.

• Like 1

Not looking through the entire thread said it may have been said but the course I play is public but on the nicer side and i generally go the range after the gym in the same attire. generally lululemon athletic type shorts and some type of moisture wicking tee. Never had anyone say anything to me. All clubs are different I realize but I think practice attire is different from on course attire. I mean s*** I generally practice putting in flip flops. Plenty of vids out there of touring pro's practicing in tee shirts. Have you tried it or been advised against doing so?

Callaway Paradym TD 8*/HZRDUS GEN4 Black Limited Edition 60TX

Ping G425 LST 3W/Hulk 70TX

G425 3H/Ventus 9x HY

PXG 0311 Gen 4 T/ST Combo/PX LZ 6.5

Vokey SM9 50F/54S/58M, DG Black Onyx x100

> @Lenny2 said:

The dress codes exist so numbskulls don't show up looking like a slob.

> @smashdn said:

> Until this thread I didn't know I was looked down upon for wearing a collared shirt on the course. Now I am really, really self-conscious about it off the course. I must look like I make a lot of money or something to most people.

Where in this thread did you pick up that idea?