2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

GC’s Morning Drive

Tailgater

Whether we want to admit it or not, televised, professional golf is a big money sports entertainment product as all pro sports are. The outcome may not be predetermined like pro wrestling but it is designed and packaged to make money for it's participants. This is not condoning the baba booey crowd or heckling in general but it is a product designed to entertain in a way that makes the most money possible for its participants. Achieving that goal (and it is THE goal) is done differently in todays world than in bygone eras. Same as it was different in Nicklaus' era than it was in Hagans.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

I've only spoken to what I specifically saw and the segment in question and already conceded more than once he may have said it otherwise, so what's the big deal, lol? He may have said, "Go Dog Go."

What difference does it make if he called it "sports entertainment" - i.e. what is the point? It is entertainment, professional sports for decades has been premised on entertaining people and getting their $. He didn't say because it is a professional sport people can say whatever they want, or that heckling in any form gets a free pass, just that you expect a certain level of it.

Really missing what the issue is with anything he said or you think he said other than noting that he may have used the phrase "sports entertainment".

I stated exactly what i thought in my OP, not sure why YOU keep going at this. Do you really feel that I made this all up? because it sure seems that way. And if you really can't wrap your head around what I said, just let it go.

I find it hilarious that you did not listen to or watch the episode in it's entirety, but you keep pressing your POV, as the only one that matters... which really doesn't to me. You find an 8 min clip and BAM, that's it.. he didn't say it in that clip so I must have been mistaken.. LoL!

"What I think he said?" I know what he said, but YOU Do Not and yet you keep trying to prove me wrong, which is foolish.

Let it go, move on. If you're confused, that's ok.

Titleist....

For God's sake pull yourself together man!

Have said a zillion times he may have said it, I could care less if he did.

What's the point you are trying to make other than you heard him use a particular phrase? What was the significance?

Have come at this at least a couple of different ways in the spirit of discussion ---- what is the relevance, issue with, interest in the phrase "sports entertainment" voiced by Damon Hack (or anyone at this point)?

I can see your point, in that it has entertainment value, but for me its about the skill and artistry that is displayed from a few golfers that i do follow. Obviously I watch when Tiger is playing as he is literally re-writing history books. But from a pure definition, specifically in regards to Golf, I would disagree.Sports entertainment is a type of spectacle which presents an ostensibly competitive event using a high level of theatrical flourish and extravagant presentation, with the purpose of entertaining an audience.Sports entertainment - Wikipediahttps://en.wikipedia.org › wiki › Sports_entertainment

(P.S. I enjoy your commentary as it comes from a place of personal experience, which I value)

Titleist....

Honest question and you obviously don't have to name names or even answer. Are/were their guys on tour that actually intimidated other players, intentionally or not? I don't mean on the course intimidating but in person. Certain guys are getting hyped up as tough guys(and its hard to see a pro golfer as a tough guy to be honest) but are other players actually afraid of or intimidated by them? Were there guys you thought might fight you if you crossed them in some way real or imagined?

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

Thanks. I appreciate you coming here to answer our sometimes foolish questions.

Made me think I needed some toast and jelly!

True to form, when I tuned in they were having an extensive Tiger decision (he apparently Twittered out he was starting at The Farmers) and . . . 60 minutes later the segment was . . . . Tiger, and a "new" take that wasn't really any different than the one an hour before. He's the needle!

There was an extensive segment on Pete Dye with Gil Hanse and I thought it was pretty cool - probably won't ever happen, but it would sure be cool if someone did a series of shows like Jack, Arnie, Hogan about past and present golf course designers/builders. Probably too "niche", and it isn't about a guy lying about how much he slept in culverts or golfers breaking glass, but it would be cool to watch.

He’s on Golf Central also in the evening during the week I’ve noticed.

As stated before, seems like more of a “promotion” (probably not the most accurate word), different duties, gets out of the early morning stuff, been there a long time, others gone - Kelly, Charlie, etc. Need to maximize his talents/value.

All complete guesses.

Damon seems to keep things moving okay, IMO.