2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

2020 LPGA Season Odds and Ends

Argonne69

@Newinup
Great, Bianca is in the filed of WALMART NW ARKANSAS CHAMPIONSHIP PRESENTED BY P&G!
It's a strong field; expanded from 144 to 156 players.
As expected, Inbee Park is in the field; but the rest of Korean contingent aren't.
It'd be interesting if they decide to skip ANA Inspiration as well, which is scheduled two weeks later.
Tournament Entries | LPGA | Ladies Professional Golf Association

How'd that happen? I thought it was a lost cause, but another opportunity in 3 weeks time! We'll take it, of course... (still licking the wounds of missing a Top 10-20 in Marathon Classic due to Round 3 - not her, me! - she's moved on to practice her wedges / short game in the next 2 weeks LOL) -- meanwhile Ill finally be able to see Shibuno in action with commentary in english again haha

Btw I'm confused @18majors -- in the reserves list, how come there's already golfers entered on the lower rung of the reserve list? (eg yes i get the top 156 are sure of entry but it seems the reserves aren't ranked in order since some that are lower rung are entered and actually have a number that's 157-168)... any ideas?

• 2 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, ChronicSlicer said:

Lexi Thompson has finally been booted from the Rolex top 10, which she held a spot since July 2015. Thats impressive, I'm almost 100 percent positive she is the only one to have been there since July 2015. 

Her win streak along with Brooke's multiple wins streak are two of the more impressive things of late (outside of the hot 18 months we've seen from various players).

Not a Lexi fan but this is noteworthy.

• Like 1

US Women's Open will get similar coverage

U.S. Open Returns to NBC Sports, Sept. 17-20

COMPREHENSIVE NEWS COVERAGE: GOLF Channel’s Golf Central Live From the U.S. Open will provide comprehensive wraparound news coverage from on-site at Winged Foot Golf Club, with interviews, highlights and analysis, Monday-Sunday, Sept. 14-20.

U.S. OPEN – LIVE COVERAGE AIRTIMES (SEPT. 17-20, EST):

Thursday, Sept. 17

7:30a.m.-2 p.m.

GOLF Channel

2-5 p.m.

NBC

5-7 p.m.

Peacock

Friday, Sept. 18

7:30-9:30 a.m.

Peacock

9:30 a.m.-4 p.m.

GOLF Channel

4-7 p.m.

NBC

Saturday, Sept. 19

9-11 a.m.

Peacock

11 a.m.-7:30 p.m.

NBC

Sunday, Sept. 20

8-10 a.m.

Peacock

10 a.m.-Noon

GOLF Channel

Noon-6 p.m.

NBC

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 18majors said:

US Women's Open will get similar coverage

U.S. Open Returns to NBC Sports, Sept. 17-20

COMPREHENSIVE NEWS COVERAGE: GOLF Channel’s Golf Central Live From the U.S. Open will provide comprehensive wraparound news coverage from on-site at Winged Foot Golf Club, with interviews, highlights and analysis, Monday-Sunday, Sept. 14-20.

U.S. OPEN – LIVE COVERAGE AIRTIMES (SEPT. 17-20, EST):

Thursday, Sept. 17

7:30a.m.-2 p.m.

GOLF Channel

2-5 p.m.

NBC

5-7 p.m.

Peacock

Friday, Sept. 18

7:30-9:30 a.m.

Peacock

9:30 a.m.-4 p.m.

GOLF Channel

4-7 p.m.

NBC

Saturday, Sept. 19

9-11 a.m.

Peacock

11 a.m.-7:30 p.m.

NBC

Sunday, Sept. 20

8-10 a.m.

Peacock

10 a.m.-Noon

GOLF Channel

Noon-6 p.m.

NBC

I hope they still have the featured group in the morning round that they show exclusively on the USGA website, I like watching the right pairings play their entire round with every shot.

• Like 1

@Stooch

Yes, featured groups are a must and I'm sure it'll be there.

The newest feature I'm eager to see is "Live from US Women's Open";  which is old story for men's Majors but the first time for women's golf.

We rarely see one or two minutes featured stories about women golfers even for players as popular as Brooke Henderson, now Golf Channel will have the entire week from Monday to Sunday to show them.

It'll be a breakthrough, especially in attracting new fans.  I'm sure Brooke's Instagram followers will quadruple to 400,00 -500,000 if she wins this year.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Stooch said:

I hope they still have the featured group in the morning round that they show exclusively on the USGA website, I like watching the right pairings play their entire round with every shot.

Based on the TV schedule, I would guess that Tiger already knows that he will go off early on Thursday and late on Friday. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, North Texas said:

Based on the TV schedule, I would guess that Tiger already knows that he will go off early on Thursday and late on Friday. 

The purpose of the chart is to know how many birdies and eagles Bianca Pagdanganan will make on par 5's and short par 4's.  @Newinup and I aren't concerned about the total yardage.

• Haha 1

One less voice for LPGA, goodbye Randall!

"This week, some really good people will be saying their good byes at Golf Channel, and among them is

@RandallMellGC, a consummate pro who did a fantastic job covering the LPGA. Randy is a terrific writer and reporter, who brought it on every assignment."

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 8/25/2020 at 9:47 AM, Newinup said:

Hinako is playing Cambria Portland?  Really?  

Traditionally, it has been a weaker field.  But we will see if that holds t rue this year given how little tournaments there are and it comes on the tail of the ANA just "down the coast" in Palm Springs, CA.so it won't be as much of a trip for them this year.

• Like 1

Even though people like to badmouth Golf Channel, but as a media it's worldwide powerful.

Sophia Popov is 27 and has been a professional since 2015, her Instagram followers was 10,000 before she won AIG.  A week later, she's 18,000 today.

Yealimi Noh normally adds 10-20 followers a day; but she added more than 100 today because of "Fresh Face of LPGA" coverage.

On 8/26/2020 at 10:18 PM, Golf Dino said:

Traditionally, it has been a weaker field.  But we will see if that holds t rue this year given how little tournaments there are and it comes on the tail of the ANA just "down the coast" in Palm Springs, CA.so it won't be as much of a trip for them this year.

Nope, looking at the entry list this event is pretty stacked, even Sung Hyun Park is entered.

1 minute ago, Newinup said:

btw, I'm "senile" so can someone refresh my memory - does Shibuno have to go through qschool in 2021 to be able to play in LPGA?  (coz there's no Qschool in 2020 right?) -- and same with Yuka Saso?

Yes, Shibuno's winner's exemption was only valid for one year (2020).  However, she could bypass Stage II and go directly to Q-Series if she ranks inside Rolex Top-75.

Same is true for Yuka Saso.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 18majors said:

Yes, Shibuno's winner's exemption was only valid for one year (2020).  However, she could bypass Stage II and go directly to Q-Series if she ranks inside Rolex Top-75.

Same is true for Yuka Saso.

Thanks, with how things are going this year in terms of how rankings are "frozen", I guess it's not difficult for Shibuno to be in top 75... and same thing with Yuka, esp with how she's won the last 2 JLPGA events! ?

• Like 1

On 8/29/2020 at 6:51 PM, Stooch said:

Nope, looking at the entry list this event is pretty stacked, even Sung Hyun Park is entered.

Yeah, doesn't surprise me at all ... just too convenient to play this year and coupled with the lack of events, it is a more inviting prospect.  Should make for some interesting golf.  Good to see Portland get a good field this year.  Let's hope that the Rose City is a good host! 

• Like 2

And something a little out of the ordinary ... I do not make it a habit to post non-golf photos of the LPGA players for concern of objectification of the players, but, seeing as this is So Yeon Ryu and she is stepping into a very different light (obviously with her consent), I thought I would share it ... in many ways, it is nice to see SYR get some nice publicity like this (not directly related to her playing golf) as she seems to have become or is becoming a public figure in Korea that is transcending the world of golf into a broader world.  

Screenshot_20200901-003853_Instagram.jpg

Edited by Golf Dino
spelling mistakes corrected
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Golf Dino said:

And something a little out of the ordinary ... I do not make it a habit to post non-golf photos of the LPGA players for concern of objectification of the players, but, seeing as this is So Yeon Ryu and she is stepping into a very different light (obviously with her consent), I thought I would share it ... in many ways, it is nice to see SYR get some nice publicity like this (not directly related to her playing golf) as she seems to have become or is becoming a public figure in Korea that is transcending the world of golf into a broader world.  

Screenshot_20200901-003853_Instagram.jpg

She seems to be a class act, at least with the way she's helped donate some of her $/winnings, the way she conducts herself, etc. We, as spectators, sometimes do not get a full view of how these players relate to society, so yes, stuff like this, if properly written/researched, certainly are most welcome.  I know of some players' hardships and generosities through first/second hand info (over and beyond press releases), that's the good side of golf... Of course there's the bad side of it too but I digress (eg deliberate slow play, gaming the system, etc)

• Like 3

14 hours ago, 18majors said:

This is very informative as to what Lydia Ko is going through with Sean Foley: 

So nice to see a fluid, on-plane golf swing again. 

• Like 1

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

I'm one of those who doesn't much like golf coverage of only one or 2 featured groups.   Yeah, the folks featured are popular with many, but I'm more of an underdog supporter and prefer to watch the lesser known folks.

As long as I get to pick which of the lesser knowns are featured.   After all, not all lesser knowns are created equal.

?

• Like 1