Rapsodo MLM Experience

Had the op to finally hit side by side, both my Rapsodo and TM4, using mix of Titleist ProV/V1X from my shag bag.  For $400, you really can't go wrong!  I can accept the small discrepancies and typically use the Rapsodo for gapping purposes only.  My only gripe (chime in with ideas) is on sunny/warm days both my iPhone 12 and iPad Air overheat within a 1/2 hour...

TM4 Optimizer Screen vs Rapsodo

fullsizeoutput_452d.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_452c.jpeg

Edited by SAM_PGA
  • Like 1

TSR3 9º Driver - Helium Black 5F5 @ 45.5”     

TSR2 15º Fwy - LinQ M40X Blue 7F5     

TSR2 18º Hyb  - Recoil Proto Hybrid 85F5
T200 #4 @ 1º Weak - Recoil Proto Utility 110F5

T100 #5-P - Modus 120X

SM10 Raw 50.12F @ 51º, 56.12D, 60.08M @ 61º - Mouds 120X
SeeMore Mini Giant Deep Flange - SuperStroke Flatso 1.0

Pro V1 - Yellow

I only use my Rapsodo at covered ranges during the day.  I've seen others use make shift shading by placing the unit under their stand bag and a combination of their towels or other objects to prevent direct sunlight on the unit.  Depending on which way your range faces and the time of day/year, your options may vary, but ultimately if direct sunlight is on your phone on a warm day, it won't last long.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/13/2021 at 12:05 AM, phatcatkev said:

is there anyway to do total distance with irons and not just carry?

is elevation taken into the equation? I’m in Denver and this is key 

Good point about elevation. I don't know the answer to that.

According to the Rapsodo FAQ, you can't do total distance with irons, just woods.

I'm surprised a number of people here have applauded the app. It looks nice, but is not that well organized and it takes some head scratching experimentation to figure out some basic things. Once you figure it out, it's fine, but it shouldn't be this opaque in late 2021. There should be accommodations for multiple users. But that can be worked around. That they don't seem to have invested in UI/UX and an Android version (they've been running out that same paragraph for many months now about their intentions) makes me wonder how committed they are to making this as good as it can be. Maybe they don't have the funding or revenue. I don't know.

For those who have asked about using an iPad vs. an iPhone, there are pros and cons to both. The iPhone sits much more easily on the device. The iPad is a little too wide and can blow over even in minimal wind. You'd think they'd have made the groove where the device sits deeper. But... the iPad is bigger, so the screen is easier to see when it's 8' away and on the ground. Pros and cons both ways.

Not having a WiFi or mobile data connection is OK, but not completely. You have to make sure you're logged in before you get to wherever you'll be using the device if there's no connection there. Otherwise, it's not going to work. Getting set up requires that, too, to take full advantage. You'll be prompted to align the target direction and tee location where you're hitting. If you don't have an internet connection, that's not going to be possible as far as I can tell. That's a problem. My range has a connection near the pro shop, but not further away down the range. So using the iPad, I have to get set up when I get my balls, then walk to wherever I'm going to hit.

What works is useful, though. I'm not certain how accurate it is, but reviews have tested well and the eyeball test looks good to me most, but not all, of the time. The shot tracer is fun. The videos are not high resolution, but they still look good. Best that way, because higher res would mean instantly full storage on our mobile devices. Do make sure your iOS device has plenty of storage, because the videos will eat up space in short order.

• 4 weeks later...

I've started using the Rapsodo mlm because I have eye problems and can't see where my ball went, so bad I last played March 2021. My problem is using it, watched the Tutorial but got no benefit from that because it was way too fast for me. After 3 attempts I got it working but after 10 hits it stopped working because lost Bluetooth connection, can anyone post a link to a idiot proof user guide. My brain doesn't work well with any tech drama because I was in a coma for a month 2 years ago, I'm good but wish my problem solving skills were still with me lol. I really appreciate your help, the Pro at my club said I can use the mlm to see the ball direction when I play. Hoping I can use this asap, cheers Colin...

11 hours ago, Crn50 said:

I've started using the Rapsodo mlm because I have eye problems and can't see where my ball went, so bad I last played March 2021. My problem is using it, watched the Tutorial but got no benefit from that because it was way too fast for me. After 3 attempts I got it working but after 10 hits it stopped working because lost Bluetooth connection, can anyone post a link to a idiot proof user guide. My brain doesn't work well with any tech drama because I was in a coma for a month 2 years ago, I'm good but wish my problem solving skills were still with me lol. I really appreciate your help, the Pro at my club said I can use the mlm to see the ball direction when I play. Hoping I can use this asap, cheers Colin...

Possibly not helpful but from what's been written I can't believe that the Rapsodo is the best device for that purpose. The Garmin R10 might give similar or better results but it definitely has the easiest smartphone connection, this was a decent video showing what to expect (I know its the Rapsodo thread, I'm just trying to help)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, hammersia said:

Possibly not helpful but from what's been written I can't believe that the Rapsodo is the best device for that purpose. The Garmin R10 might give similar or better results but it definitely has the easiest smartphone connection, this was a decent video showing what to expect (I know its the Rapsodo thread, I'm just trying to help)

Hi appreciate your feedback, I've not looked at R10 closely but Rapsodo gives launch angle and distance with a map photo of where I'm hitting from and landing spot which is what I wanted. I'm just struggling to get all the info I want at my fingertips, time will solve that but a more friendly user tutorial would be appreciated...

6 hours ago, Crn50 said:

Hi appreciate your feedback, I've not looked at R10 closely but Rapsodo gives launch angle and distance with a map photo of where I'm hitting from and landing spot which is what I wanted. I'm just struggling to get all the info I want at my fingertips, time will solve that but a more friendly user tutorial would be appreciated...

As I say my personal opinion is you won’t achieve that with the Rapsodo, the setup and connection is too flaky and you’ll get fed up spending ages setting it up for every shot.

The video I linked you shows someone using the R10 on course to do exactly what you’re trying to do with much less faff. 

On 1/25/2022 at 8:23 PM, hammersia said:

As I say my personal opinion is you won’t achieve that with the Rapsodo, the setup and connection is too flaky and you’ll get fed up spending ages setting it up for every shot.

Ok today I've had a session with my Rapsodo, I've set it up to give me 3 things. Carry club head speed and launch angle, that's announced after every shot and later I check out the rest on the information grid. That's really all I need to know, I've not experienced any connection issues as yet as I've only had 16 sessions so far, and after the first 3-4 sessions I've set it up just the once so I think my issues were working out how to use it. I believe it's a very good launch monitor for $500, just my view...

10 hours ago, Crn50 said:

Ok today I've had a session with my Rapsodo, I've set it up to give me 3 things. Carry club head speed and launch angle, that's announced after every shot and later I check out the rest on the information grid. That's really all I need to know, I've not experienced any connection issues as yet as I've only had 16 sessions so far, and after the first 3-4 sessions I've set it up just the once so I think my issues were working out how to use it. I believe it's a very good launch monitor for $500, just my view...

Ok I was more trying to answer your specific question about using a launch monitor on the course to tell you where the ball went because you couldn’t see it.

If you can get Rapsodo doing that for you that’s great. If not, the the R10 seems like a good option worth investigating. 

3 hours ago, hammersia said:

Ok I was more trying to answer your specific question about using a launch monitor on the course to tell you where the ball went because you couldn’t see it.

If you can get Rapsodo doing that for you that’s great. If not, the the R10 seems like a good option worth investigating. 

Yeah understand that all good mate, like the look of the R10 but didn't know which one was more user friendly lol. I think it's more likely what was for sale when I looked and how much it is than what's the best device, it looks like after learning more about how to use Rapsodo it does what I need so all I need now is to use it every day to become used to how it works. Repetition ingrained in my brain will help, repeat repeat lol...

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/28/2021 at 12:33 PM, slalomdude said:

Can Rhapsodo be used for speed training, will it pick up air swings or does it need to see ball flight? 

A little late, but no, Rapsodo needs you to hit a ball (audible trigger) to capture swing and ball data.  

• Like 1

TaylorMade Stealth 2+ 9* |  Ventus Blue Velo 6S

TaylorMade Stealth+ 3W   | Ventus Blue Velo 7S

Titleist TSR3 5W | Graphite Design AD-IZ 8S

Titleist TSR2 4H  |  Graphite Design AD-DI 85S

Titleist T150 5 - GW | Nippon Modus 3 Tour 105X

TaylorMade MG3 54*  58* | Dynamic Gold S400

TaylorMade Spider GT Notchback

Titleist Pro V1 | Srixon Z-Star Diamond

On 12/24/2021 at 12:39 AM, dunkotime said:

Rapsodo seems to be running a continuous sale on these.  Any rumors on a new model coming any time soon?

Anyone hear anything on this? It's still on sale so I'm guessing a new one is coming soon.

Driver: TSi3 8* Tour Green 75 TX

4 wood: Callaway Apex UW 17* Hzrdus Smoke 6.5
Irons: 4-PW 716 AP2 X100
Wedges: Mizuno T22 Copper 51, 56, 61 TI S400
Putter: Odyssey Jailbird 380 MH

Been using mine for a few weeks now and seems ok, well it's telling me what I wanted to know like carry club head speed and launch angle. It's recording 50% straight 35% left and 15% right, sometimes (35%) say my dispersion is better than my handicap which is good but until I play then see actual results I don't know. Makes practice alot more rewarding, for me launch angle is what I'm interested in. I need to go to the driving range to compare Rapsodo numbers if any good or not, but I'm hitting 50 balls every other day to build the golf muscles while I'm waiting for eye cataract surgery...

• 2 weeks later...

Got tired of waiting for the Garmin to be re-stocked. Had an Amazon credit so I pulled the trigger.

unnamed.jpg.ac33358a73b408612967c7d5b40434c5.jpg

• Like 1

Cobra SZ 10.5 Ventus Blue 5s
Cobra Radspeed 15.5 Motore X F3 6s
Cobra SZ 18.5 Tensei Blue 65s

Cobra SZ 21.5 Atmos Blue 7s
Cobra Forged Tec X 5-G Recoil 95 F3

Cleveland CBX Zipcore   54/12   58/10
Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless NP2

• 3 weeks later...

Well I'm enjoying the instant feedback from Rapsodo at the nets and I'm practiced twice daily most days, plus I've recently bought a set of Titleist T200 Irons that like me and I love them lol. My Rapsodo has made practice a pleasure again which is a change in the last 20 years, I've been able to make effective changes to my swing because I see quickly when my changed swing is wrong and gone back to where I was and gone in a different direction. I'm going to a driving range to check if my Rapsodo agrees with the range top tracer and or how much it's out, really happy I purchased a launch monitor for the feedback I've got so much so wish I'd done this along time ago. My smash and dispersion has improved so much, my ave for both has improved. 

• Like 2

Yesterday went to a driving range to compare my Rapsodo with their Top Tracer, have to say I was very disappointed. Ok, so I get 100 balls because I'm fair and it's a good test. A little wind now and then but not very strong, a third of the balls hit were within 1 mile per hour dispersion and distance within 1degree etc. The rest were all over the place like Rapsodo numbers were smaller then larger, so I'm none the wiser. I did get a few where the numbers were identical, so overall not much of a test...

13 hours ago, Crn50 said:

Yesterday went to a driving range to compare my Rapsodo with their Top Tracer, have to say I was very disappointed. Ok, so I get 100 balls because I'm fair and it's a good test. A little wind now and then but not very strong, a third of the balls hit were within 1 mile per hour dispersion and distance within 1degree etc. The rest were all over the place like Rapsodo numbers were smaller then larger, so I'm none the wiser. I did get a few where the numbers were identical, so overall not much of a test...

How did it compare to what you actually perceived based on the visual of your ball flight?  There is a margin of error for all devices and on a $500 device, you're going to get occasional blatant miss reads that are outliers. 

Even if you remove the outliers, if two monitors each have +-4% accuracy for most shots, then you have to accept that sometimes the two monitors will read close to each other, and sometimes they could be as much as 8% apart.  A shot that actually travels 200 yards may read at 192 on one monitor, which can be deemed acceptable, and 208 on another monitor, which can also be deemed acceptable.  But comparing 192 to 208 may not be acceptable...but is the point really to compare the two monitors to each other, or is it more important to compare a given monitor vs reality?

8 hours ago, LBB said:

How did it compare to what you actually perceived based on the visual of your ball flight?  There is a margin of error for all devices and on a $500 device, you're going to get occasional blatant miss reads that are outliers. 

Even if you remove the outliers, 

Yeah didn't expect my $500 Rapsodo to be as good but was hoping the differences would be consistent which they weren't, I can't see a moving golf ball because of cataracts which is why I got Rapsodo for feedback when I'm in the nets. I'm going to have to wait until the cataracts and fixed and I'm playing on my golf course to judge the results, my numbers are improving according to Rapsodo so I'm staying with my practice routine. Enjoying just hitting balls, win win..

• 1 month later...
14 hours ago, sooner66 said:

I just practiced with the rapsodo after the new app update. I can no longer go from shot to shot while watching the video playback. Has anyone found a work around? I may not be pushing the correct buttons 

Yeah got the same problem, I can only look at the next shot video by closing the app and open again to watch the next video. Plus no direction with the launch angle, definitely a big step backwards...

I posted this is another thread but this one see,so to get more attention..

my distances and ball speeds are about 20-25% lower than they should be. Other people have had 5is problem across multiple forums, but no one has posted a solution. Is there? I can’t believe we all spent nearly half a grand on this thing and would be ok with it just being completely off. 

20 hours ago, Cmart050 said:

I posted this is another thread but this one see,so to get more attention..

my distances and ball speeds are about 20-25% lower than they should be. Other people have had 5is problem across multiple forums, but no one has posted a solution. Is there? I can’t believe we all spent nearly half a grand on this thing and would be ok with it just being completely off. 

Can you share some photos of your setup? Hitting on range or into net?

I have never had issues with distances with my Rapsodo personally. Usually within 5% of my normal carry, validated with a rangefinder.

TaylorMade Stealth 2+ 9* |  Ventus Blue Velo 6S

TaylorMade Stealth+ 3W   | Ventus Blue Velo 7S

Titleist TSR3 5W | Graphite Design AD-IZ 8S

Titleist TSR2 4H  |  Graphite Design AD-DI 85S

Titleist T150 5 - GW | Nippon Modus 3 Tour 105X

TaylorMade MG3 54*  58* | Dynamic Gold S400

TaylorMade Spider GT Notchback

Titleist Pro V1 | Srixon Z-Star Diamond