2024 The Memorial Tournament WITB Pics & New Titleist GT woods ×

PGA Tour TV deal done

Hawkeye77

Not in the least IMO. 90s golf on tv was pretty great. McCord was still balancing buffoonery with insightful observations. There was no Konica Minolta BizHub Swingvision analyzing a swing from 2 weeks ago telling us why YJS hit a duck hook today. Johnny Miller was winning tour events when taking a break from the booth. They showed many more players and said when they hit a bad shot. Ben Wright was still allowed on tv.

I’ll take a replay of a random 1990s tour event over today’s upcoming final round broadcast.

And on your 10" color TV, lol? Come on, 90s golf on TV was little different than 80s golf and not very much of it. Ben was gone by '96 so he wasn't even there for what turned out to be the best thing about 90s golf - in '97. I love the good old days as much as anyone, but golf coverage now vs. then not too much to compare that weighs in favor of "then" - except I had favorites then I enjoyed when they were playing.

• Like 1

You could have watched it for free with the "CBS Sports" app. I don't subscribe to CBS All Access and am pretty tech savvy, but I agree that all this fragmentation is maddening. The problem is that the "a la carte" channel offerings we've all been clamoring for for years seems like it'd be possible, but it's also at odds with the way major broadcasting companies make money. Now that the major broadcasting companies are "all in" on streaming, the companies are doing whatever they can to make money by pushing subscriptions and not really explaining what you do and don't get.

The one upside is that it's probably better for people that don't care about sports and the fact that we can cancel any time without playing the "cancellation game" over the phone.

I think we the consumer are getting a bad deal. We get a very small coverage window, long commercials, lied to about the iron they just hit (9 iron for 172 yard shot??!!). Watching PGA tour live and it’s oh “it’s 3pm CBS (or ESPN) will be taking over now”, “you didn’t pay us enough so see ya!”.

posted times change, website says 1pm and it changes to 3pm. Nick Faldo cannot stop blathering. Love Sir Nick, but Cmon Mark Immelman is 1000% more knowledgeable . Dottie pepper needs to retire and go be a crazy HOA inforcer at some Florida retirement home. Then Nantz is remembering a rocking chair 15 years ago and someone who shined his shoes with a gleam in his eye.

we deserve more access, more information and better coverage. But nope, we as a consumer are locked in to this Archaic, Bloated and Expensive coverage till 2030. What the heck? C’mon golf. And they don’t even need the Fan’s ticket money. That’s how much $$$ we’re talking.

• Like 1

The quantity is of course 1000000% greater today. The quality however is far less. Coverage is dumbed down and relies heavily on overplayed story lines along the lines of Justin Thomas and Jordan Spieth being buddies getting mentioned every 10 minutes. With so much available at our fingertips now, I am Somehow less compelled to tune in than 25 years ago. If there was a replay of the 1993 Bellsouth on today I’d tune in to that and periodically check colonial on my phone.

• Like 1

You aren't even a consumer, lol. Looking for every shortcut to get cheap TV, then whine when you realize there are some things in this world you have to pay for, but apparently don't want to watch anyway because you are now complaining about what the actual coverage is that you were complaining you can't get. LOL, rant away!

• Like 1

Who do you think the customer is when they put golf on CBS which is broadcast thru the airwaves for free. I am, I could choose to use Charles Schwab for my broker services. Geico for my insurance (use State Farm atm), Allstate for my insurance. Could buy a new maverik driver that mR Mickelson is pushing. Could head down to AT&T and buy that new iphone for $1500. Any of the commercials that make me a potential customer.

why do I need to pay time warner cable, cox cable, direct tv a fee to see something I can see for free? Or at least find a more affordable way to see it.

I paid high cable bills for years. Over $200 a month. No more, no thanks!

• Like 1

Is anyone who pays anymore of a customer than someone who gets tv free over radio waves? No they are not. They are just paying a convenience fee for content delivery quality and it being available. I.e. you can have a technician out to your house if it messes up. However, they are hesitant to do that. You would be on the phone all day before they send someone out to fix your convenient cable.

we both are seeing the same program and commercials. And the PGA tv deal is thru CBS, NBC and ESPN. Of those CBS and sometime NBC are free over the airwaves. ESPN and Golf Channel (NBC) are not. So with those 2, Yep you have to Pay to get those. I wish Golf channel was about 8-$10. Then that would be worth it standalone . Luckily Amazon sees my POV and prices it $9.99 a month for PGA tour live , can cancel anytime!

I have actually posted some of this over on the tournament thread but, having ranted about it on there, to a friend in text messages, I am still not over it. Last week on Sky Sports we basically had a feed from CBS. They usually do this for the mid to lower tier events which Colonial usually is. The coverage was appalling. The PGA Tour and CBS should be embarrassed that this is the content which is being put out.

Before even thinking about the broadcast team, what was actually being broadcast was terrible. Two or three shots before cutting off to another commercial. The lack of continuity was startling. Here is Justin Thomas hitting his second shot way left into an impossible position - 10 minutes later we hear he made a 5 but we never see it. Here is BDC who is hitting it absolutely miles and we are going to spend half the broadcast talking about it but if you actually want to see him hitting a driver, you’ll need to wait an hour and a half or better yet, head over to Twitter and the PGA Tour page will show it to you on a loop. I don’t for a second think that the producers have it easy in trying to get everything in. It’s not going to be possible but they seem to make it much more difficult than it needs to be. I don’t know for sure but I imagine that when we tune in to watch golf, we want to do just that. The extras, I can take quite easily if the coverage of the golf is good but when they can’t even show us 6 shots before breaking to an advert or even the leaders playing every shot, the Konica Minolta swing vision rubbish can do one. Interviews with the sponsors do nothing but put a face to something I now link with mediocrity thanks to what we are seeing.

Then there is the broadcast team. Where do you even start? From Nantz right on down, the whole operation is done, just ready to be sent out to pasture. Nantz himself, is so full of his own self-importance that every word he utters seems to be an attempt to make himself appear ever more grandiose. The self gratification he seems to achieve from listening to himself speak, genuinely makes me wonder if he is getting kicks out of becoming ever more smarmy and his beginning every show with the nauseating “hello friends” is just the start of his lyrical self loving. Beyond that, Faldo isn’t horrendous but his place is not the broadcast booth. If he was an analyst, that would be perfect for him, I am sure that we could get something interesting out of him that way but let’s face it, speaking without saying something stupid has never been Faldo’s forte. Dottie Pepper is terrible. That she has a gig doing this and someone like Kostis doesn’t makes me think that equality isn’t always equal. Mark Immelman is annoying. His every sentence makes me think that all he wants to do is have you know that he is clever and knows what he is talking about. Ian Baker Finch, might be the least Aussie, Aussie the world has ever seen. He seems perfectly decent but he adds so little substance to coverage that if he fell asleep in the booth, you wouldn’t struggle to notice. I don’t know who is broadcasting this week. Inspite of having the coverage on yesterday, I completely zoned out. I am hoping that it is not more of the same but I am hoping rather then expecting.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist 915Hd 17.5* Mitsubishi Diamana D+ Stiff
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM10 50.08F, 54.10D (Raw) & 60.04T (Raw) KBS Tour Stiff
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

Immelman actually does know what he is talking about. He was Trevor’s swing coach for the Masters Win and his career. He has a really good podcast called On the Mark. It has led me to a ton of good books and products. You can hire him thru Skillest also. He’s kind of on the pulse of golf atm. But prob not what you want to hear.

Dottie pepper is pretty rough.

The state of my game probably didn’t help my humour yesterday either haha.

Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

I would be sure that he does it just that he seems intent on letting everyone know that he does.

Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

He really does not blow his own horn much on the podcast. Good at asking questions and getting good answers out of his guests. They are natural and uncut too. The accent and stretching the words, yeah I guess it’s not for everyone. I find South Africans to be extremely good at golf and very dedicated people. So it’s interesting to learn from them. Fun fact: in the boar war South Africans could take a gun meant to make 100m shots and make kills from over 700m! So, somethings there.

Try again. The David Leadbetter Golf Academy Congratulates Trevor Immelman on his 2008 Masters Victory - Golf Buzz - GolfBuzz.Net“I’m absolutely thrilled for Trevor!” say David Leadbetter, coach to Trevor Immelman. “This victory validates all the hard work on his game that we’ve put in over the last few years.” Leadbetter, who grew up in Immelman’s native South Africa, began working with Immelman in February of 2005.