2020 Ben Hogan Icon blades

RobotDoctor

I received the 6 and 9 irons in a demo, and got to hit them today. I'm comparing them to my 20-year old Snake Eyes blades, which I love. However, after a widowmaker heart attack and five minutes of cardiac arrest two years ago, I found my 5, 6 and 7 irons all going the same distance, so I got a set of Mizuno MP 60s. I'm getting my strength back and want blades again. 

I will say the Icons are a bit longer and misses aren't QUITE as bad as my blades, but there is really very little difference between them. I don't know if I will spend the money... Somebody convince me...😁 I'm a seven handicap

3 hours ago, Daddysflying said:

I received the 6 and 9 irons in a demo, and got to hit them today. I'm comparing them to my 20-year old Snake Eyes blades, which I love. However, after a widowmaker heart attack and five minutes of cardiac arrest two years ago, I found my 5, 6 and 7 irons all going the same distance, so I got a set of Mizuno MP 60s. I'm getting my strength back and want blades again. 

I will say the Icons are a bit longer and misses aren't QUITE as bad as my blades, but there is really very little difference between them. I don't know if I will spend the money... Somebody convince me...😁 I'm a seven handicap

I'm a 3 right now and although I loved the 6-P in the Icons, the 4 and 5 could be a little too demanding at times so I moved one.  I did think they were quite a bit more forgiving than most other blades but still, could be demanding.  FWIW, I am a huge fan of the MP60.  

• Like 1

Titleist TSr2 10*  GD UB 6s

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

Srixon ZX7 mkii 4-7, Z-Forged ii 8-P KBS CTL 110

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

36 minutes ago, Nixhex524 said:

I'm a 3 right now and although I loved the 6-P in the Icons, the 4 and 5 could be a little too demanding at times so I moved one.  I did think they were quite a bit more forgiving than most other blades but still, could be demanding.  FWIW, I am a huge fan of the MP60.  

Just now, Daddysflying said:

I rely on my long irons because I can shape them and because I can control their distances, so thanks for your comment. Could you elaborate a bit on them "being demanding"? I'm quite on the fence between my old blades and the Icons. Thank you again. 

3 hours ago, Daddysflying said:

I rely on my long irons because I can shape them and because I can control their distances, so thanks for your comment. Could you elaborate a bit on them "being demanding"? I'm quite on the fence between my old blades and the Icons. Thank you again. 

When I was able to square the face up perfectly, the 4 iron was nice, but more often than not, if I didn't square it or I missed a little off the center, I paid for it.  Playing some Z785s now, that doesn't happen in the long irons, plenty more forgiveness there.  I love that the Icon 4i looks like it has minimal offset, very great look but also can be a tad bit intimidating at address, it's small and not overly confidence inspiring.  You really have to be able to strike your long irons well to benefit from them IMO.  I would have loved to have had the PTx Pro in the 4 and 5 iron and Icon from 6 down, but they don't let you customize that way.  

• Like 2

Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/23/2020 at 11:28 AM, Nixhex524 said:

Got mine a couple days ago, man are they pretty.  Wont get to try them on the course till later in the week, though.  Hit a few in my backyard net and they feel great, 4 iron is surprisingly easy to hit for looking like a butter knife... really glad I pulled the trigger on these.

20200823_091415.jpg

Hey!! How is the wear on these black irons? thinking of getting the black instead of the chrome.

Edited by Makidebinens

27 minutes ago, Makidebinens said:

Hey!! How is the wear on these black irons? thinking of getting the black instead of the chrome.

I sold them a few months ago, but honestly, it was extremely durable.  I was really impressed.  Its nothing like the Titleist or Callway that wears off as soon as it touches the ground.  I hit them out of fairway bunkers and you'd never be able to tell.

Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

2 minutes ago, Nixhex524 said:

I sold them a few months ago, but honestly, it was extremely durable.  I was really impressed.  Its nothing like the Titleist or Callway that wears off as soon as it touches the ground.  I hit them out of fairway bunkers and you'd never be able to tell.

Alright, excellent. I'm wondering if Ben Hogan Company warranties the blacks for wear?  Hm. just thinking out loud. Thanks.

Just now, Makidebinens said:

Alright, excellent. I'm wondering if Ben Hogan Company warranties the blacks for wear?  Hm. just thinking out loud. Thanks.

I don't think so.  It will wear eventually but it's super durable.  It was one of the things I was most impressed with about them.  If it is one of your concerns, I would not let it bother you.

• Thanks 1

Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

19 hours ago, Makidebinens said:

Here’s my PW after somewhere around 25 rounds. The finish seems very durable.DC9507D1-5DBB-42E1-A32E-82002B358FB6.jpeg.5f31825508a5f2dbd467cdd8b06d0ee9.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Ping G430 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 45", Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x
Ping G430 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Epon AF-306 4i + Epon AF-Tour CB2 5-PW, Nippon Modus 125X
Yururi Seida Black 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

1 hour ago, Makidebinens said:

What about the sole? The sole usually will have more contact with the ground & sand.

Sole8533D879-DEC8-4AAC-8C0D-33337C4A2DC0.jpeg.86d62543bfad8debc95872f2c414beee.jpeg

Ping G430 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 45", Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x
Ping G430 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Epon AF-306 4i + Epon AF-Tour CB2 5-PW, Nippon Modus 125X
Yururi Seida Black 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

On 2/3/2021 at 8:09 PM, Makidebinens said:

Absolutely not . Why would they warranty normal wear and tear? 

Cobra Aerojet 9* - LAGP A Series X Mid 

Cobra LTDX 3W - Tensei 1K 75 TX 

New Level 18* KBS Tour Prototype 105X / Cobra LTDX 5w - Tensei Black 85 TX

Artisan HM's / Custom Nike VR Pro Blades - 6.5 Project X Blackouts

Mizuno T22 Copper 50/54 - Project X Blackout 7.0 Spinners

Vokey 58 T Grind - Project X 6.5 Blackout

Artisan 0521 w/ LAGP 135  / Compass G.O.A.T  w/ LAGP135 / LegacyGoods Widebody w/ KBS One Step / Byron DH89 w/ LAGP135 / Cameron Studio 1.5 w/ UST All in

Bridgestone Tour BXS 

• 8 months later...

To resurrect this thread, I just got the PTX Pro, ICON, Edge EX 7 irons and UiHi 22 demos. I've been playing Mizuno MP-60s for 15 years, though up until the last few months that was less than 6 rounds per year. Now I get out three days a week normally.

Anyway, the ICON blades are absolutely stunning. Was surprised to see the dimensions are, to the naked eye, identical to my MP-60s. If anything, Mizuno top line is a bit thinner. PTX Pros are also beautiful.

ICON is a little longer than my Mizuno it seems like, 3-5 yards, but is also 1 degree stronger... Felt great, but not quite as soft as the MP-60s, imo.

PTX Pro felt surprisingly good for a multi material hollowbody head. Again, a bit longer than my club.

Not sure I could justify switching to either of them or the combo set. I just don't see enough difference. Height, trajectory, spin, are all pretty similar out on the course. Perhaps my initial expectations were just too high. They're excellent irons, but so are the MP-60s.

The Edge EX was a big surprise. It felt much better than expected. Huge head, was not used to that, but I had no trouble at all hitting it. It was obviously far more forgiving than the 3 other clubs. 

Today I'm going to compare it to my 6 iron, which is only 1 degree stronger, to see if maybe the distance was just messing with my perceptions of the club.

UiHi 22 was consistently better than my 21 degree 3 iron. I definitely can use some more help in my 4 and 5 iron. I already have a 19 degree hybrid.

If anything, the most productive part so far has been the Edge EX experience. If I continue to like these, I might just go with a 921 Hot Metal and Hot Metal Pro Combo set. I think the performance jump would justify the switch.

I've appreciated following this thread and thought I'd share.

• Like 1

BHG needs more shaft options and the ability to customize the combo sets.  The clubs are top quality and the Icons are some really nice looking irons, but for a few more bucks, PXG and Srixon allow better options.  I love BH but they need to get with the times!!

Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

• 3 months later...
On 5/12/2020 at 7:15 PM, RobotDoctor said:

I just received an email from The Ben Hogan company confirming these are indeed forged from 1025 carbon steel.

Maybe I missed this in the thread but does anyone know where these are forged? In the US? Assuming so as its at the very least assembled in the US at the factory and shipped direct? I love the shaping on these... concerned the feel isnt as buttery smooth as the Mizunos I play now and the Hogans of old (started out with Apex II Blades from 1979! as a hand me down)

Edited by ewaldbeukes

Srixon ZX5 LS Driver, Project X Hzrdus Black, 70g 6.5

Cobra Fly Z Fairway, UST Elements Fire, 7F5 

Cobra Fly Z Hybrid, Aldila Tour Blue ATX85H 2.3-X

Srixon ZX7 MKII 4-PW, True Temper X100

Vokey SM8 50, 54, 58

Biomech Acculock Ace / Ping B90 Broomstick