Tees to play from at Bandon

golfgolfgolf123

Heading to Bandon Dunes on Friday to play all courses. I am curious what tees everyone plays from and why. I am a 1, but the guys I am playing with are 4, 10, and 12. Driving distance ranges from 260-290 in the group. Any suggestions on tees for different courses? I want to be challenged but also want everyone to enjoy (They prefer playing the same tees). I would prefer to play the same tees and know it can be tough from the greens as well, so curious about other experiences. Thanks for any input!

• Like 1

Glad you posted this - I am arriving next Tuesday (as a single) and will probably just stick to the same tees as the rest of the group I'm paired with, but was curious as well...I want to play tips, but like you mentioned, green tees are still a challenge if the wind picks up (so I've heard).

38 minutes ago, puttnforthe8 said:

One tee box up on all courses and you will have enough challenge and fun.  The wind is the equalizer and will add plenty of challenge and distance; but people don't get tortured.  I am a 4 and seldom play the tips...I just don't enjoy it. 

This is super helpful. Is this true on all courses? I'm curious the distance you normally play? We tend to play around 6700-7000. Again I know it will be a challenge, but the thought of 6100-6200 feels so short. I don't particularly enjoy hitting driver, 56 into 50% of the par 4s and don't know if that's a true links experience vs having irons in. I know into the wind I will have irons in, so I appreciate the thoughts. 

10 minutes ago, golfgolfgolf123 said:

This is super helpful. Is this true on all courses? I'm curious the distance you normally play? We tend to play around 6700-7000. Again I know it will be a challenge, but the thought of 6100-6200 feels so short. I don't particularly enjoy hitting driver, 56 into 50% of the par 4s and don't know if that's a true links experience vs having irons in. I know into the wind I will have irons in, so I appreciate the thoughts. 

What does y'alls schedule look like during the trip? Curious to see which courses you're playing in the afternoons.

3 minutes ago, Lefty_89 said:

What does y'alls schedule look like during the trip? Curious to see which courses you're playing in the afternoons.

Shorty's and Punchbowl Friday

Bandon Trails Saturday (Maybe twice), then preserve

Old Mac Sunday morning

Sheep Ranch Sunday afternoon

Bandon Dunes Monday morning

Pacific Dunes Monday afternoon

Trying to switch Bandon Dunes and Sheep ranch if possible, but Sheep ranch is so slammed right now. Gotta take what you can get. 

6 minutes ago, golfgolfgolf123 said:

Shorty's and Punchbowl Friday

Bandon Trails Saturday (Maybe twice), then preserve

Old Mac Sunday morning

Sheep Ranch Sunday afternoon

Bandon Dunes Monday morning

Pacific Dunes Monday afternoon

Trying to switch Bandon Dunes and Sheep ranch if possible, but Sheep ranch is so slammed right now. Gotta take what you can get. 

Very nice!

Yeah, from what others on the forum have mentioned, the afternoon winds are brutal on Sheep and Pacific, which is making me lean toward the green tees. I'm playing Old Mac the afternoon that I arrive and I'm already preparing for a full beatdown. I'm a 3 btw and play on courses here around 6800-7200, but wind gusts at 15mph tops.

Preserve/OM

Sheep/Trails

Pacific/Bandon

Trails

Edited by Lefty_89

2 minutes ago, Lefty_89 said:

Very nice!

Yeah, from what others on the forum have mentioned, the afternoon winds are brutal on Sheep and Pacific, which is making me lean toward the green tees. I'm playing Old Mac the afternoon that I arrive and I'm already preparing for a full beatdown.

Preserve/OM

Sheep/Trails

Pacific/Bandon

Trails

Can you not switch OM and Preserve the first day? This looks like a great lineup

3 minutes ago, golfgolfgolf123 said:

Can you not switch OM and Preserve the first day? This looks like a great lineup

Well my better half will be joining me so I figured going off early as a single at Preserve she'll want to walk along, then can relax afterwards while I'm slammed by OM.

Edited by Lefty_89

59 minutes ago, golfgolfgolf123 said:

All courses yes. I play 6700-7100 the majority of the time. 

If there is one course you can play back it would be Trails.  That being said, you could make up a combo tee set if you want. 

The difference you will experience is that the wind blows 2-4 clubs helping or hurting...so you are going to have times where you will hit driver and have 80 yards and other times be left with 150-180.   As an example, the back to back par 3s on Pacific are 163 (downhill) and 131 from 1 up.  I have had times where I hit PW to both and there are times where I have hit 5 iron to both.   # 2 on Pacific has a bunker, which if the wind is helping is an easy carry, if it is hurting you won't reach the bunker.  

image.png.1d171c6ce33d6ddb46a4b0a26f209f9e.png

• Like 3

2 hours ago, golfgolfgolf123 said:

Heading to Bandon Dunes on Friday to play all courses. I am curious what tees everyone plays from and why. I am a 1, but the guys I am playing with are 4, 10, and 12. Driving distance ranges from 260-290 in the group. Any suggestions on tees for different courses? I want to be challenged but also want everyone to enjoy (They prefer playing the same tees). I would prefer to play the same tees and know it can be tough from the greens as well, so curious about other experiences. Thanks for any input!

Completely depends on the weather. If its blowing 40+ the Green tees will be PLENTY. If it's not blowing as hard the Black tees. 

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

As others have mentioned, let the weather decide which tees to play.  Shoot, we've even played the gold tees (hdcps 6-15), in some conditions.  In general the green tees will be the default, and you can go from there.  Bandon Dunes would be the one course I'd say play the black.  OM could be black if the wind is down, if it's up, green should give you plenty of challenge.  Trails and Pacific offer plenty of challenge from the green imo.

G400 LST 8.5, Tour 75 stiff
G410 14.5, Tour 75 stiff
G410 19, 22, Tour 85 stiff
T100s, 5-gw, AMT White S200
Vokey, SM7, 54S, 58M
Never Compromise Portofino

Play from the green tees, esp in the afternoons.  

our grouping had similar handicaps 2,7,8,14.  in the afternoons the greens they just gave out some strokes to the higher handi guys.  

you could always ask the guys at the starter which tees they suggest depending on the weather at the time you are playing..

putting is what will hurt your score card more than the iron game.

One more thing, not sure where you guys are from but this is coastal Oregon we are talking about. In general, assuming no wind, you will most likely never play another region where you will get less carry than the PNW. Very little humidity, sea level and not particularly warm or hot. 

Playing up is the way to go, they didn’t play the tips at the US Am as far as I know. 

I’ll give an example of what the wind can do to you, on #9 on Pacific my buddy hit a big slice into a 3-4 club wind. Went out about 70-80 yards , then the wind got it. Flew another 80 yards out then started the backwards trajectory, ended up being about a -120 yard drive. For those that know the courses it flew over 6 fairway and ended on 12 fairway. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just got back from a 3 day, six round trip.  I played with a father son combo on one day at Sheep Ranch.  The dad was an ex college golfer, hit it 280ish and very accurate. Son was equally good and slightly longer. It was a normal wind day, maybe 20ish mph.  Dad played green and son played black, they shot 70 and 72 respectively.  I got the sense that either one of them could have swapped tee boxes and would have had a great time with sufficient challenge and maybe scored a few strokes different either way, it was more about the putting. 

Point being, as a low handicap you will probably enjoy yourself with a decent challenge from wherever you play.  Put a 12 handicap on the tips of Bandon or Pacific with normal winds and it's going to be a struggle.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jrg75 said:

Just got back from a 3 day, six round trip.  I played with a father son combo on one day at Sheep Ranch.  The dad was an ex college golfer, hit it 280ish and very accurate. Son was equally good and slightly longer. It was a normal wind day, maybe 20ish mph.  Dad played green and son played black, they shot 70 and 72 respectively.  I got the sense that either one of them could have swapped tee boxes and would have had a great time with sufficient challenge and maybe scored a few strokes different either way, it was more about the putting. 

Point being, as a low handicap you will probably enjoy yourself with a decent challenge from wherever you play.  Put a 12 handicap on the tips of Bandon or Pacific with normal winds and it's going to be a struggle.

This is great insight. Would love thoughts on the trip, especially if anything is changed from covid or conditions since i’m going Friday. What was your favorite thing about your 3 days? 

Trip was great and not all that different from past trips despite the COVID situation.  The resort has done a great job making the social distancing protocols very low impact.  A few things are closed (biggest disappoinment was library lounge). I stayed in the Inn which is very similar to all of the on-site accommodations, clean and comfortable but nothing fancy.  Food was solid, you wear a mask until seated then pretty much normal.  Get the grilled cheese at Pacific for lunch at least one day.

I played the following rotation:

Day 1: Pacific, Trails + extra 9 at Bandon

Day 2: Sheep Ranch, Bandon Dunes, Pacific (my first 54 hole day)

Day 3: Old Mac

The courses, especially Dunes and Trails were in phenomenal condition, probably because of US Am.  Sheep Ranch has some maturing to do so just prepare yourself for some patchiness on the fairways and the greens being a little slower. 

Morning rounds very exceptionally pleasant, nice temps and manageable winds.  This was my fourth trip and Pacific has solidly become my favorite, it is an absolute masterpiece.  Trails is definitely my second favorite, with a toss up between the other three, probably slight edge to Bandon mostly because of holes 4-6 which is the best three holes stretch of golf I have ever played.  Sheep Ranch will likely move up as I play it more, it absolutely has the best views but does feel slightly cramped.

While I was there, the wind really picked up in the afternoon which was still fun but definitely more challenging.  I went as a single so I had a ton of flexibility and the staff were really accommodating in a few small moves to my tee times that allowed me to get the extra holes in.  I was always paired for my morning rounds but went solo in the afternoon.  Everyone I played with was super nice, nothing awkward at all because of COVID.

You will definitely have a great time and will likely be hooked..I pretty much started planning my next trip as soon as I got home  

• Like 1

I’m currently a 3 index, and I’ve always played the green tees at all of the Bandon courses.  This morning was no exception at Sheep Ranch.  I was tempted to play the blacks due to the relatively low slope, but ultimately decided to play the greens since the winds were blowing 10-15mph.  I thoroughly enjoyed it and never felt the course was too short.  In the rare instance that there’s no wind, I would definitely consider playing the tips.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR2 Ventus Blue TR
Taylormade SIM 2 Ti 3W

Taylormade Sim 2 5W
Ping G410 4 Hybrid
PXG 0311T Gen 4 5-GW, Steelfiber i95 
PXG Gen 2 Sugar Daddy 54
Titleist SM9 58T
Scotty Cameron Button Back Newport

21 hours ago, jrg75 said:

Trip was great and not all that different from past trips despite the COVID situation.  The resort has done a great job making the social distancing protocols very low impact.  A few things are closed (biggest disappoinment was library lounge). I stayed in the Inn which is very similar to all of the on-site accommodations, clean and comfortable but nothing fancy.  Food was solid, you wear a mask until seated then pretty much normal.  Get the grilled cheese at Pacific for lunch at least one day.

I played the following rotation:

Day 1: Pacific, Trails + extra 9 at Bandon

Day 2: Sheep Ranch, Bandon Dunes, Pacific (my first 54 hole day)

Day 3: Old Mac

The courses, especially Dunes and Trails were in phenomenal condition, probably because of US Am.  Sheep Ranch has some maturing to do so just prepare yourself for some patchiness on the fairways and the greens being a little slower. 

Morning rounds very exceptionally pleasant, nice temps and manageable winds.  This was my fourth trip and Pacific has solidly become my favorite, it is an absolute masterpiece.  Trails is definitely my second favorite, with a toss up between the other three, probably slight edge to Bandon mostly because of holes 4-6 which is the best three holes stretch of golf I have ever played.  Sheep Ranch will likely move up as I play it more, it absolutely has the best views but does feel slightly cramped.

While I was there, the wind really picked up in the afternoon which was still fun but definitely more challenging.  I went as a single so I had a ton of flexibility and the staff were really accommodating in a few small moves to my tee times that allowed me to get the extra holes in.  I was always paired for my morning rounds but went solo in the afternoon.  Everyone I played with was super nice, nothing awkward at all because of COVID.

You will definitely have a great time and will likely be hooked..I pretty much started planning my next trip as soon as I got home  

Were you alone for any of the 54? with sunlight the way it is, it’s impossible to book 54 holes with the 5 hours they require between. Did you just walk on your last tee time and zip around? Trying to do that one day if possible 

1 hour ago, golfgolfgolf123 said:

Were you alone for any of the 54? with sunlight the way it is, it’s impossible to book 54 holes with the 5 hours they require between. Did you just walk on your last tee time and zip around? Trying to do that one day if possible 

My 54 hole day was not planned, it just kind of happened and I'm glad it did.

I had two rounds scheduled, Sheep Ranch at 7:50 followed by Bandon at 2:20.  I was paired up on Sheep Ranch with a super great group, we played quick finishing just a little after noon.  I went to the lodge to grab lunch at the Tufted Putin and while I was eating noticed that no groups had gone out in the hour that I sat there.  I talked to the starter and he said it was wide open and that I could go out early as a single if I wanted, just check in with the pro shop and go.  I probably hit my first shot around 1:15.  I zipped around, finally catching a group on #9 who stopped at the turn and allowed me to pass at 10.  I had the whole backside to myself and didn't rush, trying to really take it all in.  I think the whole round took about 3:15.

After I finished Bandon around 4:30, I thought my legs were still fresh enough for a short loop at Pacific and I only intended to play 1-7 (7 green is pretty close to the clubhouse).  The pro shop checked me in and I was out around 5pm.  Once I got to hole 7 around 6:30 I realized I probably had 2 hours of daylight left and I felt good so I pushed onward.  I caught a group on 12 who allowed me to pass at 13.  I finished a little after 8 pm, tired but in awe of how great Bandon is.

My experience was probably a little luck combined with the flexibility of being a single.  54 as a group would be tough except for the longest days of the year around solstice.  I have read that the tee sheets get somewhat empty around the lunch hour as morning groups grab a bite before heading out for their second round of the day.  I think a decent strategy would be book two rounds, one early morning then the normal 5 hour spacing.  Play morning round then see what's available for a quick turnaround with some open space for pace.  All of the pro shops can check any courses tee sheet.  If you could get out before the afternoon wave starts, I think you could definitely get some more golf in, maybe even an extra 18.

Good luck and enjoy.

Edited by jrg75
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

With your mix of Caps, I’d recommend Greens. I’m a 12. I can it it plenty far (for an amateur). When I initially saw the Green Tee yardages, I thought, “I’m gonna tear this place up.” 
the wind humbled me! Playing into a 20+ mph wind a 5 yard cut turns into a 25 yard cut that ends up in the rough or trees. 

play the Greens.  I’ve never played with a human who shot 60something from “forward” tees and said “I didn’t get challenged. I didn’t enjoy that.” ?

and if the wind is up, they will NOT be shooting in the 60s

• 1 month later...

OP - I think you are going to be disappointed playing the green tees. 

I am late 40's, 4 handicap and drive the ball 260-270.  I have fun with the green tees but I get frustrated super fast when all I have is a wedge into every hole.  I also think it is a course by course decision.

The two lower handicaps should play it back. The two high handicapper should play green.

Sheep ranch = back tees definitely. Especially on the par 3's and 5's. The course will be 5% harder from the backs.

Bandon Dunes = back tees definitely. The course will be 10% harder from the backs.

Pac Dunes and Bandon Trails lines are so much better from the back. They can both be beasts from the back but it really makes a difference on the par 3's. I would say both are 20% harder from the backs.

Old Mac: the back tees are significantly further back than the greens most days. If it is windy, it is wayyyyyy harder from the backs - 30-50% harder.

The other thing about the tees is the wind. I’ll use #4 on Pacific as an example. It’s roughly 440 yards from the greens and a par 4. From the greens I’ve gone driver - 7 iron with the wind and against it I’ve gone driver - 3 wood - wedge and even 4 iron - 4 iron - 7 iron. Now I’m not a long hitter but not short, average 250-260 carry. 

The greens are always a good starting point and with the wind I guarantee it will not always be driver - wedge. 

• Like 1