Buddy you only got three things: your swing and Jack...and your swing and Jack just left town. <A cry for help>

Qwiklap

Well -- can't find it anywhere -- the swing is gone.  It left on Sunday, the final day of my C-flight club championship -- and despite scrapping together an 89, I lost on the 18th hole.  But I had to wedge out of the woods on multiple holes.  I halved a par 5 with a 6 - after hitting my tee ball OB (made an amazing 3wd 4th shot to hit the green, and putted a 80fter to 2 ft).. 

Prior to this weekend, I was hitting high draws with decent power 105-110 SS, 150-ish ball speed, and 260-280 driver distance and solid irons (7i 155 carry).  My normal flight is a draw.  My miss (normally) is an overdraw or pull hook -- with an occasional right push block, but usually a one way miss left.  On Saturday in my match I started hitting some flares right, and my big drives were straight or baby fades.  Then on Sunday it was nothing by right flares, and pull-slices when I did hit the fairway. 

I am not sure what cog in my wheel has broken -- but my swing is totally crap now.  I have lost on confidence.   I cannot get the club face closed.  It feels super scoopy with no de-loft on the irons.

I have the benefit of a GCQuad -- and usually my path is 2-6* in to out with the driver or irons -- with a closed to path face.  Now I am seeing a 0* path or even slight out to in path, but the face to target is still the same -- so the face to path is now like 4-8* open with the driver.  I am hitting high, spinny, weak banana balls that that start right and go hard right.  When I try to manipulate the club closed with my hands, I get mishits and pull-hooks. 

I am so frustrated that this has happened.  Sadly -- I am also in self-isolation (my kids were exposed to COVID last week in a car pool), so I can't even see a pro.

Physically I am feeling some rotator cuff pain in my left shoulder, and feel some clicking when I rotate my forearms as you would to turn the ball over.   But that condition preceded  my poor play, and didn't previously stop me from playing well.  But this may be part of it.  I planning to lay off practice for a week and let the shoulder heal up. 

But it is so frustrating to move from a 12 hcp steadily improving, and trending toward single digits, to now having a shot shape of a 25 almost over night.

Any help or kinds words are appreciated.

I will post up some swing vids from last night (please don't laugh). 

Thanks ... CT

Edited by SheriffBooth
  • Like 1

Titleist TSR2 9* w/ Fujikura Speeder Evo II 661 X (with 20g weight in butt)

Titleist TSR2+ 14.5* w/ Graphite Design AD-DI 7S

Titleist TSR3 18* w/ Graphite Design AD-IZ 8S

Titleist u505 3i 20* w/ Graphite Design AD-IZ 9S

Srixon ZX4 MkII w/ Project X LZ 6.0 5-PW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50@49* - Taylormade MG4 56* and 60*

LAB Golf Mezz Max Broom 79.5* lie, 45" or one of my Armlocks

Ball:  Srixon Z-Star XV or Maxfli Tour X

A few swing vids

Edited by Qwiklap

the title of your thread is awesome

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

Adding a face on.  Looks like my head and shoulders are swaying back

Two things.   Right arm stay straight too long.  Need to speed up backswing - rhythm is poor.  Too slow back and too fast down

like this but arm should have begun folding already

232DBC60-60BE-4060-A468-75F39E1E8821.jpeg.8cb435f407065d729c1b073eee4589d0.jpeg

you bend arm behind you and then last second go external with shoulder to set club - looks like you go to far to the right off the ball as a result too

373A342C-73F3-49F2-A1EB-0FC5CE4C1B09.jpeg.7a4936f191de5eba3c1223a26f4ec837.jpeg

Good example of right arm in backswing

Edited by glk

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

One drink and that's it. Don't be rude. Drink your drink... do it quickly. Say good night...and go home ...

#kwonified

8 minutes ago, glk said:

Two things.   Right arm stay straight too long.  Need to speed up backswing - rhythm is poor.  Too slow back and too fast down

like this but arm should have begun folding already

232DBC60-60BE-4060-A468-75F39E1E8821.jpeg.8cb435f407065d729c1b073eee4589d0.jpeg

you bend arm behind you and then last second go external with shoulder to set club - looks like you go to far to the right off the ball as a result too

373A342C-73F3-49F2-A1EB-0FC5CE4C1B09.jpeg.7a4936f191de5eba3c1223a26f4ec837.jpeg

Good example of right arm in backswing

-------------

Thank you so much for the advice.  I agree looking at it my swing height seems off.  And I really value the input.

Oddly -- I instituted the "Inbee Park/Sungjae Im" backswing tempo at the request of my Pro to stop moving my head down right at takeaway.  My striking actually has been much improved with the slower back, fact through tempo.  But I may be moving it to an extreme.

2 minutes ago, Qwiklap said:

Thank you so much for the advice.  I agree looking at it my swing height seems off.  And I really value the input.

Oddly -- I instituted the "Inbee Park/Sungjae Im" backswing tempo at the request of my Pro to stop moving my head down right at takeaway.  My striking actually has been much improved with the slower back, fact through tempo.  But I may be moving it to an extreme.

Yeah seems a bit overdone.   I like the thought of “throwing” the club back with my pivot - pressure left then pressure right to start the throw - good drill is to setup and swing club forward a bit before going back - really gets the sense of a dynamic motion to get the club moving back.   

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

One drink and that's it. Don't be rude. Drink your drink... do it quickly. Say good night...and go home ...

#kwonified

I’ve posted this lesson by DD a few times recently. It is a really good video on the dynamics of the swing overall.  And most applies in general except not everyone needs to start with the left arm on the chest.

Enjoy every sandwich

#kwonified

• SheriffBooth changed the title to Buddy you only got three things: your swing and Jack...and your swing and Jack just left town. <A cry for help>

Brosef. Sounds like one bad day. Maybe a bad weekend. Rory misses cuts. Decompress. Take a breath. Give your kids a hug. Smile. And in a week, jump back on the train to single digits. You were making progress, you will continue to make progress. But that's measured over months not days. 

Edited by scooterhd2
  • Like 1

PING G400 MAX 10*, Ventus Blue 6X

Cleveland HiBore XL 2 Wood - THE GOAT

Cobra F6 Baffler 17,5*, AD DI 8S

Cobra F7 Hybrid 21.5*, AD DI 95S

Srixon ZX5mk2 5, ZX7mk2 6-PW Modus 120x

50/54/60 Cleveland RTX6 Zipcore DG Spinner

Scooter -- I really appreciate that response, and perspective.  It's just so strange - and honestly frightening -- to have everything go to pot all at once.  And not be able to (thus far) get it back on track.

27 minutes ago, scooterhd2 said:

Brosef. Sounds like one bad day. Maybe a bad weekend. Rory misses cuts. Decompress. Take a breath. Give your kids a hug. Smile. And in a week, jump back on the train the single digits. You were making progress, you will continue to make progress. But that's measured over months not days. 

37 minutes ago, Qwiklap said:

Scooter -- I really appreciate that response, and perspective.  It's just so strange - and honestly frightening -- to have everything go to pot all at once.  And not be able to (thus far) get it back on track.

We’ve all been there.     I recall a round that went south so bad I was flaring shanks at my buddies and fired something I the 90s to come back next round and shoot like 75.    Or in a big team event we held every year, me a a good friend were paired and money was on us since we were both 5 caps - he shot 103 and lost about 12 balls and I was medalist with 102 with one lost ball on the last hole.   In fairness it was a tough course.  Lol.

Enjoy every sandwich

#kwonified

Qwiklap,  I highly suggest you get a lesson from a knowledgeable, instructor.  The problem with posting a video is any person who has looked at enough good golf swings can tell you all the stuff that your doing wrong.  Watch I'll do some of that:

1.  You keep your right arm, straight to long.

2.  You have massive arm over run.

3.  Your head is raising at the end of your backswing.

4.  Your also sliding off the ball to the right.

5.  your hip turn is way to flat.

6.  Your pelvis backs away from the balls as you approach impact.

7.  Your tempo is a mess.

Now all this is evident in your swing.  I can't even begin to tell you how to start working on this.  But I gave you a bunch of goop to muddy up your mind.  All golf swing issues are the result of something that came before.  Most likely your understanding of what your trying to do does not correspond to what you actually need to do.  The result is a swing that frankly is amazing in it's effectiveness to even hit the ball when your so far out of position.  Get qualified eyes to help you.

Edited by b_f_c_99

41 minutes ago, Qwiklap said:

You may not wan to hear this, but I say it as someone who has had similar step backs/flaws and hit similar plateaus/regressions. You have some quirks in your swing which puts you in a pretty tough spot in the backswing and everything else from there is a compensation. On your good days you likely compensate well, under pressure (ie final day of a tournament), things might unravel quickly. Basically that last little move you do at the top really gets you out of position and GLK might be onto something that your super slow tempo could be part of the reason. You need to clean up that backswing action if you want to see long term change/improvement

11 minutes ago, b_f_c_99 said:

Qwiklap,  I highly suggest you get a lesson from a knowledgeable, instructor.  The problem with posting a video is any person who has looked at enough good golf swings can tell you all the stuff that your doing wrong.  Watch I'll do some of that:

1.  You keep your right arm, straight to long.

2.  You have massive arm over run.

3.  Your head is raising at the end of your backswing.

4.  Your also sliding off the ball to the right.

5.  your hip turn is way to flat.

6.  Your pelvis backs away from the balls as you approach impact.

7.  Your tempo is a mess.

Now all this is evident in your swing.  I can't even begin to tell you how to start working on this.  But I gave you a bunch of goop to muddy up your mind.  All golf swing issues are the result of something that came before.  Most likely your understanding of what your trying to do does not correspond to what you actually need to do.  The result is a swing that frankly is amazing in it's effectiveness to even hit the ball when your so far out of position.  Get qualified eyes to help you.

I have submitted these swings to Monte to get some feedback.

I appreciate your help.  To be honest -- some of these faults I think are new. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Qwiklap said:

Even better is to do an online/ live lesson with him - pretty much like in person and can do from anywhere - I did one in my garage last may as a follow up to in person in December.   Just use FaceTime or zoom.  

he can walk you thru things, replay your swings, demo drills, etc.  just can’t physically help you and ball flight is a non issue - I actually hit paper wads wrapped in duct tape.

Edited by glk

Enjoy every sandwich

#kwonified

3 minutes ago, Qwiklap said:

Good choice!  I was at one of Monte's seminars a few years ago.  It was enlightening to watch him give each person one little thing to move forward.  Pointing out faults is not helpful it makes people think they need to fix this and this and this and this.  Most of all that gets fixed by one little thing.  Then maybe another after you get the hang of the first one.

1 minute ago, glk said:

Even better is to do an online/ live lesson with him - pretty much like in person and candid from anywhere - I did one in my garage last may as a follow up to in person in December.   Just use FaceTime or zoom.  

he can walk you thru things, replay your swings, demo drills, etc.  just can physically help you and ball flight is a non issue - I actually hit paper wads wrapped in duct tape.

I singed up for the "online lesson" which is just a static swing review, but perhaps I will progress that with the live lessons.  I have the setup in my house to be able video live, and have the Quad for all the date I need.  Thanks!

13 minutes ago, Qwiklap said:

I singed up for the "online lesson" which is just a static swing review, but perhaps I will progress that with the live lessons.  I have the setup in my house to be able video live, and have the Quad for all the date I need.  Thanks!

You have the setup, use it. Online lessons are great but the remote session is even better because you can get instant feedback, def worth the extra few dollars.  You need to make movement changes, I'd suggest turning off the LM when working on that. When you are starting to see the movement you want on video, then turn on the monitor.

The centerpiece of your problems lies in your lifting and moving of C7 (base of cervical spine(neck)  -top of thoracic spine). Correct that and most of your other issues will away.

Most golfers need to both rotate their head and move their head laterally away from the target in order to make a FULL  shoulder turn. You are NO exception., but you have added lifting the spine in addition 

But you seem to have one advantage over many - you seem to be crossed-eyed dominant in that you can rotate your head while still retaining sight of the ball through your non- dominant left eye. 

So in order to avoid your lateral and rotational head movement in about mid- backswing, JUST rotate your head at the end of your setup ALA Jack Nicklaus .; this will avoid your current self destructive lateral and vertical movement at C7, while still rotating your head .

Actually - although I am right handed.  My left eye is 100% dominant.  I can read the bottom of the eye chart with left, and it’s definitely my dominant eye.

12 hours ago, Qwiklap said:

Well -- can't find it anywhere -- the swing is gone.  It left on Sunday, the final day of my C-flight club championship -- and despite scrapping together an 89, I lost on the 18th hole.  But I had to wedge out of the woods on multiple holes.  I halved a par 5 with a 6 - after hitting my tee ball OB (made an amazing 3wd 4th shot to hit the green, and putted a 80fter to 2 ft).. 

Prior to this weekend, I was hitting high draws with decent power 105-110 SS, 150-ish ball speed, and 260-280 driver distance and solid irons (7i 155 carry).  My normal flight is a draw.  My miss (normally) is an overdraw or pull hook -- with an occasional right push block, but usually a one way miss left.  On Saturday in my match I started hitting some flares right, and my big drives were straight or baby fades.  Then on Sunday it was nothing by right flares, and pull-slices when I did hit the fairway. 

I am not sure what cog in my wheel has broken -- but my swing is totally crap now.  I have lost on confidence.   I cannot get the club face closed.  It feels super scoopy with no de-loft on the irons.

I have the benefit of a GCQuad -- and usually my path is 2-6* in to out with the driver or irons -- with a closed to path face.  Now I am seeing a 0* path or even slight out to in path, but the face to target is still the same -- so the face to path is now like 4-8* open with the driver.  I am hitting high, spinny, weak banana balls that that start right and go hard right.  When I try to manipulate the club closed with my hands, I get mishits and pull-hooks. 

I am so frustrated that this has happened.  Sadly -- I am also in self-isolation (my kids were exposed to COVID last week in a car pool), so I can't even see a pro.

Physically I am feeling some rotator cuff pain in my left shoulder, and feel some clicking when I rotate my forearms as you would to turn the ball over.   But that condition preceded  my poor play, and didn't previously stop me from playing well.  But this may be part of it.  I planning to lay off practice for a week and let the shoulder heal up. 

But it is so frustrating to move from a 12 hcp steadily improving, and trending toward single digits, to now having a shot shape of a 25 almost over night.

Any help or kinds words are appreciated.

I will post up some swing vids from last night (please don't laugh). 

Thanks ... CT

Don't overthink it. You clearly need rest, at least in the shoulder, and must be fatigued.

I am guessing you put in a lot of time before the recent match in prep. Probably had a couple days of just baller flushing it.

Well, you overdid it physically. No shame. It's part of a cycle. A physical cycle that, once you get through it, you'll be even better.

I'm a very average golfer, but I used to play competitive billiards.

When I first started out the slumps were frequent and short lived and when I came out I was always measurably better. 

As the years went on, the slumps weren't as frequent, and they weren't as extreme, but they'd last longer. And when I came out of them I was a better player, but the gains were smaller and smaller, finer tuned.

This is natural, and a good sign for the long term. Damn inconvenient timing, but a good thing.

Just gotta rest and let your body get its unconscious business done.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, NotThatGuyorAmI? said:

Looks to me that you, like 99% of the people who post videos here, are turning around you right hip as a pivot, so your body swings towards the ball like a gate, instead of pivoting around you sacrum/spine.  As a result, your body moves towards the ball in the backswing, then you lift up.  

See this video:

Or this one:

Thanks for this - I am going to work hard on that Swiss Ball drill in the first video.

The two sacroiliac joints  on either side of the body connect the pelvis to the lower spine. They are supported and connected  by some of the strongest ligaments in the body and  as such are designed for STABILITY and WEIGHT BEARING  and SHOCK ABSORBTION NOT  for MOBILITY. Because of their design , the amount of any mobility  at the sacroiliac  joint is limited and anatomically can NOT account for the  significant   pelvic movements required in the golf swing. 

The heads of both the left and right  femur ( thigh bone)are tightly encapsulated within their respective hip joints . This permits  movement at the hip joint: Flexion, Extension, Abduction, Adduction, Lateral Rotation and Medial Rotation ALL resulting in various movements of the distal  end of the femur at the KNEE, BUT NO MOVEMENT of the PELVIS. 

SINCE the PELVIS’s MOVEMENT  by itself is VERY LIMITED  ,the only way for there to be significant angular movements of the pelvis, is for there to be  POSITIONAL MOVEMENTS at the  

respective HIP JOINTS .

This  translates into the TRAIL  hip joint moving both away from the target line and towards the target  in the backswing .

As the trail leg straightens  in the downswing, the lead hip joint moves  both away the target line and away from the target .

The advice from me that I would consider listening to is to have that rotator cuff checked out. I was feeling mild pain and ignored it and then tore it while hitting driver. Several months on the sidelines and when I returned I was hitting 9W 160 instead of 7i 175. Took a few more months to get my strength/distance back.

The advice that I wouldn’t listen to is I think your main problem is your lower body working incorrectly (right leg not straightening enough and right hip getting closer to the ball on backswing - early EE). Then your shoulder turn gets too flat at the top / no left tilt which is that lifting look.