2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Mizuno Tour 14 Way & 6 Way Stand Bag - UPDATE

Dpavs

Hey All!

I recently purchased the Mizuno Tour 14 way Stand Bag in the Staff colors and in all honestly I am still deciding whether or not I will be keeping it or not.

Update - I returned the 14 way because of a defect and opted to get the 6-way instead. So glad I did! (See my updates for the 6 way cuff and dividers below)

As I sort that out I thought I would share my initial impressions for anyone else shopping or interested in it either of them!

Breaking Down the Key Features:

14-Way Top Cuff: 9", 14-way top cuff for a stand bag.

The layout of the divider is not the best I have seen barely affording enough space for a standard grip to pass through. Jumbo grips need not apply. The putter well is at the front as it should be and comfortably accommodates wide gripped putters.

6-Way Top Cuff: 9", 6-way top cuff for a stand bag

The layout of the 6 way divider is so much better than the 14 way. There is ample space for up three clubs in the 3 rearward areas and for 2 wedges, etc. in each of the 2 forward club areas. Again as on the 14 way, the putter well is at the front as it should be and comfortably accommodates wide gripped putters.

Apparel Pocket: 1 full length apparel pocket allows for ample storage.

Decent sized divider length wise. The problem with all the pockets on the bag is the exterior material is not particularly flexible. Because this is true getting things in and out of of some of the pockets can be a bit fussy and with some of the smaller ones a down right nuisance.

Full-length Dividers (14 way): Full-length dividers keep clubs from becoming tangled. (or do they?)

Reading this would lead one to believe that the bag has 14 full length dividers. In fact if you look at the bag at any number of reseller sites you will find that most if not all resellers were also confused by Mizuno's choice of language and have listed the bag as having "14 full length dividers" which it most definitely does not. I can only conclude that the language used by Mizuno is intentionally misleading on Mizuno's part and that they do not care in the least that the consumer or the resellers are being intentionally mislead. Shame on you Mizuno! Every slot around the outside of the bag does not have a true full length divider. Rather, there is only a floppy piece of nylon which effectively does not keep the club shafts or grips free of any club in the immediately adjoining slots. When I questioned Mizuno customer service about this the agent advised me that it would be impossible for them to make them full length. I quickly pointed out that on Sun Mountain bags they had achieved true 14 full length dividers by lining the entire interior circumference with nylon and sewing those otherwise floppy pieces to the interior lining. Also I think it's important to note that because there is no lining around the inside periphery on the bag, any club placed in one of the edge slots is at risk of having it's shaft scratched by the push rods, handle reinforcement or other similar objects which they are carelessly exposed to.

Interestingly enough the agent was not sympathetic to my concern.  Rather than acknowledging that this was a shortcoming on the bag or asking me what they could do for me in the situation or being apologetic in any way if their language was misleading, especially given that this is supposed to be Mizuno's flagship stand bag, the agents reply was unenthusiastic and something to the effect of not being able to control or speak to what other manufacturers did. All in all my experience in this instance with Mizuno customer service was the worst I have experienced from any major manufacturer. In all honesty, the agent seemed to not care in the least about me or my concerns.

Three Full-length Dividers (6 way): Full-length dividers keep clubs from becoming tangled. ("Waying" the difference!)

When it comes to the dividers the 6 way is better in every way than the 14 way! Shall I say way better? The inside of the bag is actually fully lined around the inside circumference of the bag on the 6 way whereas on the 14 way it was not. The three (3) full length dividers actually are well secured and are indeed full length. The difference is so pronounced I had to double check to see if the two bags were being produced by the same manufacturer in China. As it turns out both boxes indicated that the manufacturer for the bag is Yin Ku Plastics, so yes indeed they are coming from the same source.  If you are interested in this bag and trying to decide between the two, IMO, the 6 way is the way to go.

Matching Rainhood: Matching rainhood ensures clubs stay dry in wet weather.

The rainhood is made of decent quality materials and pretty much represents standard fare for higher level golf bags.

Metal Accessories Ring: Premium branded accessories ring.

The metal ring is amply sized and seems to be of decent material and has a coating which should protect it from exposure to rain, etc.

Stand Mechanism and Bottom

The stand mechanism itself is well designed and functions smoothly. The bottom is flat, well size and has a notch specifically designed to accommodate placement on a push cart. I appreciate the thoughtfulness that went into this part of the bag and just wish the designers had carried over this same level of attention to detail to some of the other features where things feel and seem like more of an after thought.

Umbrella Holder

The umbrella holder is a true full pocket holder which is a nice plus on a stand bag but not really anything unusual or particularly special as the same can be found on most premium stand bags.

Zip Off Embroidery Panel: Front ball pocket zips off for easy embroidery.

Not much to say... it's the standard zip off pocket which most of us will never use or have customized.

Adjustable, Padded Shoulder Straps: Easily adjusts to preference, while providing comfort.

I really do not intent to carry the bag so this is not an important feature for me but the shoulder straps do seem to be very nicely padded so kudos to Mizuno on this one.

Insulated Cooler Pocket: Made with drainage holes to keep beverages cool on even the hottest days.

Here again the pocket is on the smaller side and is very tight so that only modestly sized containers would be able to be placed inside. (i.e., standard 16 oz bottles or 12 oz cans)

Waterproof Fleece Lined Valuables Pocket

The lining is a bit thinner than on the best I have experienced but is amply sized and should get the job done.

2 Accessory Zipper Pockets, Small Accessories Zip Pocket

None of the pockets whether they are the full length or the smaller pockets have any inside dividers. They are all just big open areas. As such, I would not call the design on these premium in any way. Some will probably like this fact, others like myself will find it disappointing.

Velcro Glove Spot

Seems to work well... my only concern here is that it is white and will attract dirt or discolor over time. I think it would have been much smarter to have made this one of the shades of blue.

Magnetic fleece lined pocket

This is one of the features I was really looking for in a stand bag and which you seem to only find on the higher priced options. The magnetic closure seems to be strong and the pocket is nicely sized. It's a bit oversized for a range finder, which is my intended use but all in all I can easily give this feature two thumbs up!

Padded Hip Pad

It's there but as I have not really tried to carry the bag and do not have an intention to do so, I really cannot comment on how it actually performs one way or the other.

Push Cart Compatible Bottom: A notch in the bottom cuff enables a stable fit on most push carts.

This was another feature which I liked about the bag when I was researching it. Many stand bags I have had, including the Sun Mountain I was currently using, move around too much when placed on a push or golf cart. Also because of the base designs they succumb to the least bit of force and want to topple over when standing upright instead of on the stand legs at an angle.  The Mizuno feels like it may have solved this issue with their somewhat unique base design. I have not had the bag out and probably will not be able to do so in the near future given the seasonal changes but it will undoubtedly perform better than the Sun Mountain I am currently using in this regards.

Bottom Grab Handle: A reinforced grab handle incorporated into the bottom of the bag makes lifting easier.

The integration for the grab handle is done well and is more attractive feature than the open nylon strapping you see on some bags. So I will count this as another plus for the bag.

All in all the bag, by my eye, is a great looking bag. While it has some nice features it also has some glaring short comings. As such my impression is that it really is not a great value for the price it is offered at. I am also confused at to why any company would not have invested a bit more time and attention to making sure that some of the simpler details were not attended to better for something that they were going to represent as their Tour level bag. I was also taken a bit aback by the lack of concern I experienced from the consumer customer service agent and he gave me the impression that he did not really like having to speak to consumers.

Final note to the manufacturer-

Mizuno, if you are reading this, while we all understand that outsourcing golf bags to China is something most manufacturers have done to control costs... it does not mean that you have to sacrifice quality or design, especially at this price and level. In short, there is plenty of room for improvement here!  Also, the customer/product service/support experience I received was not even closely on par with Callaway, Taylormade, Cobra or any other I have experienced in the past 10 years and that is disappointing to say the least and is certainly causing me to rethink whether Mizuno golf products have any place or future in my bag at all.

240232_5959.jpg

240232_5959_04.jpg

240232_5959_05.jpg

image.png.7acfda9e66c2da9174a09cf1d504bc74.png

Edited by Dpavs
  • Thanks 3

I think you should ask for a refund from Mizuno, return the bag and go and get a Sun Mountain.   In my experience with full length 14 way dividers as carry bags, they have never lived up to the expectation of a full cart bag where weight is irrelevant because you aren’t going to carry it and the full length have zero interaction with the club next door.  The Greatest  full length divider bag I ever had was a Taylor made yellow magnetic pocket cart bag circa 2010 timeframe.  It also weighed a ton. You won’t fine a holy grail quasi carry bag from the major oem’s.  There’s no money in it. 

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym TD “S” 420cc 8.5 Project X Evenflow Riptide MX 60TX

Mizuno STZ Max 230 12.0 Project X Hzrdus Black RDX 70 6.5

Callaway OG Apex UW 21.0 MCA MMT 80X

Mizuno Pro 243 5-GW Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Mizuno T24 56/12S Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Cleveland RTX Full Face 2 58/8 DG Spinner

Rife Phenom.Z 34”

10 minutes ago, Lemonde said:

I think you should ask for a refund from Mizuno, return the bag and go and get a Sun Mountain.   In my experience with full length 14 way dividers as carry bags, they have never lived up to the expectation of a full cart bag where weight is irrelevant because you aren’t going to carry it and the full length have zero interaction with the club next door.  The Greatest  full length divider bag I ever had was a Taylor made yellow magnetic pocket cart bag circa 2010 timeframe.  It also weighed a ton. You won’t fine a holy grail quasi carry bag from the major oem’s.  There’s no money in it. 

The main reason I use a stand bag is that some of the ranges I practice at do not have stands for the bags... and I really don't like either having the wind blow the bag over or having to reach down to the ground to get clubs in and out of it. I suppose I could consider a stand bag with fewer dividers, but my fear has been that this would only lead to more club entanglement when trying to put clubs in or pull them out.

I’m a huge Mizuno fanboy and had my eyes on this bag. I bought a Sun Mountain H2NO Pro stand bag. It’s not perfect, either, but the full-length, 14-way dividers, the comfortable straps and the fact it’s waterproof are good enough reasons.

Anyway, some details could have been done better or differently and that’s probably true for any bag. 

• Like 1

WITB 2024

Dr Mizuno ST-Z

3W Cally Rogue ST Max

5W Mizuno ST-Z

4H New Level NLH-01

5/6i New Level 902 OS

7i-PW New Level 902 PD

GW/SW/LW  Mizuno S23

Putter Odyssey WhiteHot OG 2-Ball

Ball  Vice Pro/Snell MTB Prime

I bought the Mizuno K1-LO in the early spring, thinking it had full dividers per their description.  But as you found out, only floppy dividers that are not sewn top to bottom, hence useless for the task of dividing.  I returned it, and picked up a Sun Mountain 3.5LS.

• Like 1

WITB for 2023  |  Titleist Hybrid-5 Stand Bag
Ping G430 Max 12*  |  Miyazaki Kusala Black 61X

Titleist TSR3 18* Fairway  |  Evenflow White 60S

Titleist TSR1 20* Hybrid |  Evenflow White 90S

Edel SMS Pro 5-PW |  Steelfiber i110cw-S

Edel SMS GW & LW  |  Steelfiber i110cw-S

Putter  |  Mizuno OMOI-03 Nickel Finish, stock grip

Grips    |  All Clubs With CP2 Wrap Jumbo

I also bought this bag........ and returned for the same reasons. It was a nice bag, but the terrible divider was enough for me. As a carrier I went back to my Nike Air Hybrid, which is fantastic. 

• Like 1

Titliest Tsr3 9* Hazardous Black 6.5 gen 4

Nike SQ2 19* Hybrid Aldila VS Proto 95s 

Mizzy MP18 SC 4-6 MB 7-PW C-Taper S

Vokey SM9 50/08, 54/10, 58/08  s400

Scotty T22 Fastback 1.5 ,+ ,+ ,+ ,+

• Dpavs changed the title to Mizuno Tour 14 Way & 6 Way Stand Bag - UPDATE
  • 2 months later...

Dpavs, great review!

I'm thinking about the 6-way...couple questions...

size-wise, is this close in roomy-ness to a staff bag?  (I barely ever walk, but do now and then.  Looking to replace my current hoofer with something a little bigger)

is the smallest section for a putter?  I assume it is, but wonder otherwise if I could use the umbrella holder for my putter (probably not a since I have a superstroke fatso)

thanks!

I'd say no, it's not really close to a staff bag in size and the pockets are not as large as you normally would find on a staff bag. Maybe closer to the Tour Staff Mid Mizuno has. Having seen both the Mizzie and the Ping, it may be a bit larger than the hoofer but not really that big of a difference. IMO there are sufficient pockets on the Mizuno Stand Bag but they are not all that roomy. This is largely due to the material being used for them. It's a fairly stiff semi-rigid vinyl so it does not lend itself well to reshaping in order to conform to what you stuff in the pocket. All that said, there are fair number of pockets 3 of which are on the front of the bag. The lower of these is good sized and I find I can put a good deal of smaller items in it. I should also note that I have trimmed back what I feel I need to have in the bag somewhat and it more than meets my own needs. The smallest well is for the putter and you should be able to get the Super Stroke Fatso in there but if you want to use something external however, there are clips or strap attachments which you can buy to do so.

If you are looking for a larger bag though that you can also carry , and don't mind a 14 way,  I might take a look at the Sun Mountain C-130. It very roomy and has a very large putter well.

If you have any other questions about the Mizzie bag, just let me know and I'll answer as best I can!

Good luck with your search!

Edited by Dpavs
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
On 1/24/2021 at 5:46 AM, Dpavs said:

I'd say no, it's not really close to a staff bag in size and the pockets are not as large as you normally would find on a staff bag. Maybe closer to the Tour Staff Mid Mizuno has. Having seen both the Mizzie and the Ping, it may be a bit larger than the hoofer but not really that big of a difference. IMO there are sufficient pockets on the Mizuno Stand Bag but they are not all that roomy. This is largely due to the material being used for them. It's a fairly stiff semi-rigid vinyl so it does not lend itself well to reshaping in order to conform to what you stuff in the pocket. All that said, there are fair number of pockets 3 of which are on the front of the bag. The lower of these is good sized and I find I can put a good deal of smaller items in it. I should also note that I have trimmed back what I feel I need to have in the bag somewhat and it more than meets my own needs. The smallest well is for the putter and you should be able to get the Super Stroke Fatso in there but if you want to use something external however, there are clips or strap attachments which you can buy to do so.

If you are looking for a larger bag though that you can also carry , and don't mind a 14 way,  I might take a look at the Sun Mountain C-130. It very roomy and has a very large putter well.

If you have any other questions about the Mizzie bag, just let me know and I'll answer as best I can!

Good luck with your search!

How has this bag held up?

how are the stand legs?  I have a sun mountain c130s and the legs tend to splay out wider.  The hoofer tour and vessel player 3 look like their leg systems Is a bit more durable 

54 minutes ago, Pnwpingi210 said:

how are the stand legs?  I have a sun mountain c130s and the legs tend to splay out wider.  The hoofer tour and vessel player 3 look like their leg systems Is a bit more durable 

I've been seriously considering the C130S.  However, my primary use will be on a regular 4 wheel cart and from what I have researched, the divider top slopes away from the front pockets which is unacceptable.  I want a cart bag with a stand where the top slopes towards the pockets.  This way the putter/wedges will be towards the player and the woods will be back towards the cart basket (if this makes sense).  So far, I'm not finding anything.  Don't think it exists.  All the hybrid bags I've seen have the top sloped to fit walking (with stand down) rather than riding. 

Any ideas?    

Edited by sixiron150
minor clarifications

56 minutes ago, Pnwpingi210 said:

I have the 14 way stand bag and it’s held up great. Zero issues

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, sixiron150 said:

I've been seriously considering the C130S.  However, my primary use will be on a regular 4 wheel cart and from what I have researched, the divider top slopes away from the front pockets which is unacceptable.  I want a cart bag with a stand where the top slopes towards the pockets.  This way the putter/wedges will be towards the player and the woods will be back towards the cart basket (if this makes sense).  So far, I'm not finding anything.  Don't think it exists.  All the hybrid bags I've seen have the top sloped to fit walking (with stand down) rather than riding. 

Any ideas?    

I have my woods nearest to the stand and my putter in the putter slot in the handle side.

In a walking cart, my  woods are in the bottom and putter in the top.

In a power cart my woods are back against the basket and putter is in the front.  Does this answer you question?

4 minutes ago, Pnwpingi210 said:

I have my woods nearest to the stand and my putter in the putter slot in the handle side.

In a walking cart, my  woods are in the bottom and putter in the top.

In a power cart my woods are back against the basket and putter is in the front.  Does this answer you question?

I think so.  When the bag is vertical (i.e. strapped in) in the riding cart, is the top horizontal or does it slope back towards the cart basket?  Seems strange to have the high side of the top towards the player.  Sorry, I've been trying to locate a C130S in a local store to judge for myself but can't find one yet. 

1 hour ago, Pnwpingi210 said:

The legs seem to hold up fine. If I had any issue with them is that they are painted metal of some kind and I would have preferred carbon fiber legs as the paint on the metal ones get scratched when you use the bag on a cart. To overcome this I just wrap the part where they would normally get scratched with some self adhesive rubber padding.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Pnwpingi210 said:

Top slops back toward rider a bit.  I’ve never noticed till now….

Thanks.  Sounds like you don't have any trouble accessing all of the clubs though.  The C130S seems to get great reviews everywhere.  I think I'm going to get it.  

Sorry for high jacking the Mizuno bag thread.  If Mizuno had a comparable cart bag with a stand I would seriously consider it since I now play JPX900s. 

3 minutes ago, sixiron150 said:

Thanks.  Sounds like you don't have any trouble accessing all of the clubs though.  The C130S seems to get great reviews everywhere.  I think I'm going to get it.  

Sorry for high jacking the Mizuno bag thread.  If Mizuno had a comparable cart bag with a stand I would seriously consider it since I now play JPX900s. 

The Mizuno Tour 14 way is what I thought I was replying to. I got it because the cart bag is annoying to not have a stand at the range. I’ve had it for awhile and it holds all the stuff I had in my pro cart bag. If you can lay eyes on it it’s held up good for me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, capking said:

The Mizuno Tour 14 way is what I thought I was replying to. I got it because the cart bag is annoying to not have a stand at the range. I’ve had it for awhile and it holds all the stuff I had in my pro cart bag. If you can lay eyes on it it’s held up good for me.

I'll echo this.. the Mizuno bag held up extremely well for me after a season of use and has more than enough space for everything I need to carry in it. Unless you are dead set on a 14-way bag... I do recommend the 5 way with the putter well. The dividers are full length and there is very little tangling of clubs with it.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, capking said:

2 minutes ago, Dpavs said:

I'll echo this.. the Mizuno bag held up extremely well for me after a season of use and has more than enough space for everything I need to carry in it. Unless you are dead set on a 14-way bag... I do recommend the 5 way with the putter well. The dividers are full length and there is very little tangling of clubs with it.

I'll check it out!  Just want something with a stand, plenty of storage and that works well for riding cart use.  I have a nice Datrek cart bag now but it doesn't have a stand.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Dpavs said:

21 minutes ago, capking said:

I’m going to pickup the black and grey 6 way tour stand and the blacked out br-d4 6 way.  Which everyone i works better will be home to a set of 223’s!  Thanks all!

• Like 2

If you do pick up one of the Mizuno's, I hope it works as well for you as it has for me!

It just occurred to me that I should add one other thing though... just for full disclosure ... the Tour Stand bag does not have a pass through for the cart strap.

It really doesn't bother me as I just route the strap through the front handle when it's on a cart, but I could see that for someone that might be a deal killer.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sixiron150 said:

I'll check it out!  Just want something with a stand, plenty of storage and that works well for riding cart use.  I have a nice Datrek cart bag now but it doesn't have a stand.

While I really like my Mizuno, there are a number of good bags out there... so make sure you review all the features and choose the one that is right for you!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dpavs said:

If you do pick up one of the Mizuno's, I hope it works as well for you as it has for me!

It just occurred to me that I should add one other thing though... just for full disclosure ... the Tour Stand bag does not have a pass through for the cart strap.

It really doesn't bother me as I just route the strap through the front handle when it's on a cart, but I could see that for someone that might be a deal killer.

Thanks for calling that out.  I noticed that and it’s not ideal, but not a deal breaker.  The br-4 does have it, but doesn’t have quite as much storage and appears to have a different bottom.  

• Like 1

I have the mizuno BRD2 and the internal divider was the first thing the broke. now it just flops around essentially doing nothing. I cannot tell if the was quite fill length or not since I don't believe it reaches all the way to the bottom. However it broke after a few months. Really think the bag is excellent, however the dividers on that bag which is a 2 way so only 1 divider was kind of a bummer

• 3 months later...

Hi Dpavs,

How has the bag been on a push cart? You mentioned the bottom does actually work but does the top still twist and turn under the weight of the clubs? And how are the linings onn the top cuff holding up?

I've been, rather enviously, looking at my friend's Titleist Premium stand bag and wondering if I'd also manage with a "tour" stand bag on my ClicGear. It would definitely make life easier in every other way except for the storage space. I'm just not keen on buying a bag that might last only a couple of years of heavy use.

Swing DNA: 91/4/3/6/6
Woods: ST 180 or MP-650 - Irons: MP-H5 / MP-53 / MP-4, KBS Tour S - 50º: MP-T5 / 55º: FG Tour PMP  / 60º: RTX ZipCore - Mizuno Bettinardi BC-4

45 minutes ago, Halebopp said:

Hi Dpavs,

How has the bag been on a push cart? You mentioned the bottom does actually work but does the top still twist and turn under the weight of the clubs? And how are the linings onn the top cuff holding up?

I've been, rather enviously, looking at my friend's Titleist Premium stand bag and wondering if I'd also manage with a "tour" stand bag on my ClicGear. It would definitely make life easier in every other way except for the storage space. I'm just not keen on buying a bag that might last only a couple of years of heavy use.

Unfortunately, I can't really tell you how it would do on a push cart as I do not walk anymore.

When I was speaking about how it fit on a cart, I was referring to a club car. So far it has proven to be very durable for me though with all the linings staying intact. There is minimal snagging of the grips at the bottom when replacing or pulling clubs. As with any stand bag, the snagging is a bit worse when the bag sits at an angle on it's legs. From my usage I have not detected any twisting or turning of the top for what it's worth.

44 minutes ago, Dpavs said:

Unfortunately, I can't really tell you how it would do on a push cart as I do not walk anymore.

When I was speaking about how it fit on a cart, I was referring to a club car. So far it has proven to be very durable for me though with all the linings staying intact. There is minimal snagging of the grips at the bottom when replacing or pulling clubs. As with any stand bag, the snagging is a bit worse when the bag sits at an angle on it's legs. From my usage I have not detected any twisting or turning of the top for what it's worth.

Thank you for your reply! I need to go take a closer look at it in the store.

• Like 1

Swing DNA: 91/4/3/6/6
Woods: ST 180 or MP-650 - Irons: MP-H5 / MP-53 / MP-4, KBS Tour S - 50º: MP-T5 / 55º: FG Tour PMP  / 60º: RTX ZipCore - Mizuno Bettinardi BC-4