Ram Forged Irons?

Ram guys I got a question that maybe you can help me with.

I have this awesome Ram bag sitting in my garage and I was thinking it would be cool to fill it with vintage irons.

I love 1962-1968 Wilson Dynapowers.  I did a some quick researching online but you can never tell with eBay listings if people get the years right.

What would you recommend?

Instagram: cold_war_era_golfer 

I agree with the Golden Ram choice.  There are a few versions to choose from, if you'd like to select a particular vintage, anything from the 70s thru the early 90s.

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

For a Ram bag, it has to be Ram's!

As per Swingingk's comment, I am currently building a Tom Watson bag based on his set up for his early 80's Troon and Muirfield Open wins (I live in Scotland). See Tom Watson WITB thread.

This is using my beloved 80-82 Tour Grinds - not sure that is the exact model he played - and a Penna Mod1 driver. Also, with reference to your Dynapower's, a '58 Dynapower SW (reproduction!) Still need clarity on the fairways woods he used at that time and looking for a Ping Pal putter. 

Doing something similar for Nicklaus with a Mac bag - probably early career using my PT1's to stand in for his SS1's.

Guess by doing this I am hoping just 1% of their talent might rub off on me! That would be a huge game improvement for me! 🙂

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, Fellaheen51 said:

Once upon a time, assembled an all Ram bag absent the bag.

Golden Ram Persimmon Driver, 3 wood, 5 wood.

Golden Ram Tour Grind Axial, 3 - PW.  The Axial's were quite nice to hit for an MB.  

TW Scoring System wedge set (850, 855, 860).  Solid wedges.

Ram Zebra putter.  What else.  

In hindsight, the one set that I regret selling off due to lack of playing time.  Kept the putter.  C'est la vie.

fullsizeoutput_d5a.jpeg.781aa5ab2f2c68f67822d5457f7d2f4d.jpeg

Nice set up!

Closely resembles the set up I played from the late '80's until I wore out the TG irons and 855 wedge. Dropped one of the woods to include a 1 or 2 iron. 

The 850 survived in my bag to the start of this year. I played a B60 putter but switched to a Zebra when my eyesight started to go - much easier to align. The Zebra is still there!

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, EmperorPenguin said:

I used to have a RAM staff bag which I bought from a discount store closing sale for $40, but later sold it for what I bought it.  I do not have seller's remorse because the bag was huge (12" top) and today I have no room for it.

My bias toward Ram dates back to the first seventeen years of my golfing life when I luckily picked up a full set (1-SW) of Golden Ram Tour Grind Vibration Matched irons for only $120 at the local Nevada Bob's on consignment.  I was lucky that they were the coveted Vibration Matched irons because later on I was in the golf industry and I met a lot of touring pros, and when I looked into Tom Watson's bag he had the same clubs, as well as Nick Price.  There was a time when Larry Mize was without a club contract and his set was half Mizunos and the other half?  Yep, you guessed it, Golden Rams.  When I first got my set, they were in excellent condition; mirror chrome and after seventeen years I gradually saw the mirror chrome wear out and turn into more of a satin chrome.  The grooves on the short irons were concave, two of the FM 6.5 shafts broke and I had reshafted them to S300's, and I ended up selling my dear set for $40 after a few bad rounds.  I had severe seller's remorse and eventually rebuilt my set with the exact same model and specs, so now it sits in my club rack and I occasionally play the set on retro days when I want to feel good.  Feels like going back to your first love, and the only thing that compares well are my custom 1989 Wilson Staffs which I acquired from the estate of a man who died a 1-handicap.

Make no mistake.  The best forgings the Hansberger brothers have ever put out are the 1982 Golden Ram Vibration Matched irons.  Not only are they the best of the Rams, but they are also among the best forgings ever.

Golden Ram Tour Grind Vibration Matched Set 050420.jpg

1i-SW....very nice indeed.

I'm a bit of a fan of RAM wedges. I find their sole grind to be very versatile, and the shape is pleasing.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 11/22/2020 at 4:38 AM, Fellaheen51 said:

Once upon a time, assembled an all Ram bag absent the bag.

Golden Ram Persimmon Driver, 3 wood, 5 wood.

Golden Ram Tour Grind Axial, 3 - PW.  The Axial's were quite nice to hit for an MB.  

TW Scoring System wedge set (850, 855, 860).  Solid wedges.

Ram Zebra putter.  What else.  

In hindsight, the one set that I regret selling off due to lack of playing time.  Kept the putter.  C'est la vie.

fullsizeoutput_d5a.jpeg.781aa5ab2f2c68f67822d5457f7d2f4d.jpeg

I still have those irons and play with them from time to time! Can't beat the feel of the Ram Tour Grind Axial

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
On 3/4/2022 at 10:54 PM, OsnolaKinnard said:

I have a set of Ram FX tour Grinds that I really do love.  They have the FM 5.5 steel shafts.

Are they the same as below?

Interested in this set near me, selling for around 65$

image.png.5e4e0967a18a3cc334ab77049c4d48f9.png

Mizuno ST-Z, Kurokage XT 60 TX

Cobra Radspeed Tour 17,5d, Kurokage XM 80  TX

Titleist TS3 Tour Issue, Aldila 2KNV Blue 90 TX

Ping S56 2i to PW, DGX100

Vokey SM9 52 12 F and 58 12 D, DG X100

Cleveland Classic No1 Putter

1 hour ago, jjinsa said:

Are they the same as below?

Interested in this set near me, selling for around 65$

image.png.5e4e0967a18a3cc334ab77049c4d48f9.png

Speaking for Osnola....

I believe his FX Tour Grinds are the full blade set from the mid 90s.  The short irons in the set you picture above are the same as the FX Tour Grinds.

Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

47 minutes ago, NRJyzr said:

Speaking for Osnola....

I believe his FX Tour Grinds are the full blade set from the mid 90s.  The short irons in the set you picture above are the same as the FX Tour Grinds.

Do you know if the ones I pictured in OP are forged or cast?

53 minutes ago, jjinsa said:

Do you know if the ones I pictured in OP are forged or cast?

they look to be the forged Pro set.  

There's also a cast set that seems to be little more than a CB set, and a cast FX Nickel set from 1996 or 97.  Those have a distinctive look that the clubs in your pic do not have.  🙂

16 minutes ago, NRJyzr said:

they look to be the forged Pro set.  

There's also a cast set that seems to be little more than a CB set, and a cast FX Nickel set from 1996 or 97.  Those have a distinctive look that the clubs in your pic do not have.  🙂

Thank you. 

if I wanted to “buff them a bit”, then if they are forged I will have to be more gentle. 🙈

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 7/13/2023 at 12:13 PM, jjinsa said:

Thank you. 

if I wanted to “buff them a bit”, then if they are forged I will have to be more gentle. 🙈

Set was one of the last sets Ram made…these were cast, and if I remember correctly they had some cobalt in the metal.

Their FX cavity back lines that were forged all had chrome plating

On 10/25/2023 at 7:20 AM, jchoch19 said:

I was seeing if anyone had any information on these irons? What year they came out, lofts, if they are forged or not? I picked them up for cheap at a thrift store, but have had a hard time finding info on them.

Picture 1 of 1

They look like they were struck from the 1982 dyes for the Vibration Matched Tour Grinds but with different stamps, but this is purely conjecture.

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, @_the_crook said:

Some my favorite clubs. 

Just got a second set.

I've played CB styles for many years.

0112241423a.jpg

Got a set of those bagged up for the rotation.  Love the solid feel and usually score well with them.  

• Like 1

Srixon ZX5 Mk II LS 9.5 driver x-flex

Srixon ZX Mk II 3 wood stiff

Taylormade Stealth II 2 hybrid x-flex

Srixon ZX-7 4-6 irons stiff

Srixon Z-Forged II 7-PW stiff

Cleveland ZipCore Tour raw wedges 52/56/60

TM Spider GT-X putter

XXIO premium bag on MGI Zip AT cart

Srixon Z-Star Diamond ball

• 3 months later...

Rams are amazing.  Truly one of the great blades of all time.   My first "real" set of irons were Laser FX, then I realized that I could hit blades and got some Tour Grinds brand new for IIRC $269 from the Edwin Watts closeout section out of the back of Golf Digest.  Two of my best golf friends ended up using them also.  

I later had some Axial blades, but found they weren't actually more forgiving.  (Makes sense with the taller face and very high toe.)  Also had some of the first FX forged cavity backs and even some ZX cast clubs that were terrible.  (The earlier Laser FX were actually excellent if you wanted a cast club with offset, etc.)

A few years ago I found a great deal on some TW 276s, the satin Watson models.  I remember seeing those at a Dallas shop when I first started playing in the early 90s and thinking they were the coolest thing I'd ever seen, but I was young and had no money at the time. :) They are one of the very few sets I own that I will never, ever sell.  The Tour Grind is maybe the best feeling blade ever when hit on the screws IMO.

• Like 4

Srixon Z785, Wilson Staff 13 3W, W/S FG51 3-PW, Ram Watson Troon 55, Ram Nick Price 62, Wilson 8813, Srixon XV

Took some old friends out on the course yesterday, thought this thread would be the place to share it. 🙂

I've been playing my Vibration Matched Golden Rams so far this year.  Was feeling like playing with one of my other sets, finally decided on my TW282 set,  I have them shafted with Aldila RIP Tour 115 in regular, which is still pretty stiff.  And...  I brought the 1 iron with me, went full set 1-pw.  Sand wedge was the late 90s Ram TG 56* that I'd shafted with NV105, and used with my TW276 set.

Yesterday's round was similar to most other times when I'd switch cold to the TW282.  The *very* square toe is a bit off putting at first, even for a long time Ram guy, and the clubheads appear a bit larger and/or taller than the Vibration Matched or TW276 sets.  When I switch to larger clubheads I tend to hit them fat until until can adjust, and yesterday was more of that, a number of fat shots on the front 9.  Shot a scrubby little bogey golf front nine, with my TM-2 saving me from worse.

Somehow on hole 10, made the the mental adjustment and stopped hitting the ball fat.  Actually chipped in on #10 for bird, went 6/8 on GIR the rest of the way.  Couldn't make any putts though, so I finished +1 on the back.

The highlight of the round wasn't the birdie, though.  The back nine has several holes where driver isn't the play off the tee, even the lone par 5 on the back, and we have a 196 yd par 3.  This is where the 1 iron came into play.  I hit it 4 times, and hit it fairly well each of those 4 times.  The long par 3 played into the wind, had to hit the 1i there, and nearly jarred the damm thing (did not make the 15 foot putt).  (sorry for the brag, but I was a little jacked after that one; still am, honestly)

All in all, it was great fun.  Gives me a taste for more 1-pw action.  😁

Edited by NRJyzr
  • Like 3

On 4/20/2024 at 8:31 PM, Choclab said:

A few years ago I found a great deal on some TW 276s, the satin Watson models.  I remember seeing those at a Dallas shop when I first started playing in the early 90s and thinking they were the coolest thing I'd ever seen, but I was young and had no money at the time. 🙂 They are one of the very few sets I own that I will never, ever sell. 

117% with you.  The TW276 are just awesome.  I've had my 3-pw set since the mid-2000s, and after random searches over 20 years, finally found a 2i, and then 1i.  

One of my bigger regrets is not buying another set that popped up on eBay a year or two ago, as a backup.  Oh well, I'll just have to console myself with one of my other Ram Tour Grind sets, once these wear out.  Or send them to Mr Flanagan for a full refresh...

Something interesting that I found thru random searches...  there's a new old stock TW276 sand wedge out on ebay.  As part of the listing, they have a specs sheet, for both TW276 and TW282.  The standard lofts for this, per this sheet, look to be 21/24/27 for 3i to 5i, and 4* from there to 47* pw.  I got a laugh out of that; when I'd taken my TW282 set for loft & lie adjustment, I had them make it 19 to 51* in even 4* increments.  The shop owner told me the pw had been at 47*, and I couldn't understand why it'd been bent strong.  LOL at me

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1