High school golf help

Ok I know high school golf isn't really important as far as rankings are anything. But in our area its popular and a good warm up for the season. Plus my son wants to represent his school.

We dont have a solid booster club and my wife myself  and some friends will probably take on a major roll in helping it. What are some good fundraising ideas to do. We can not do a golf tournament because it will be stepping on our cheerleaders who do one. Even though it 6 months apart. We are open to anything and just trying to get some ideas.

Also is there anything the school could be offering that would help. I know the couch is not going to be a true swing couch especially for my kid we have spent to much on lessons but what does other schools offer that me might could try and incorporate

I don't see how hosting a golf tournament fundraiser would be out of line. It makes a lot more sense for the golf team to do it then it does for the cheerleaders. If the cheerleaders don't like it then it seems to me that would just be a "too bad so sad" situation. 

Keep in mind that golf tournaments aren't big "money makers". I've put together a few over the years and unless you charge people $200+ to play you're not seeing much of a profit after you incorporate all the fees involved (green fees at the course, you'll need to provide lunch and probably drinks if you really want people to be excited to play, decent prizes for the top few teams, and etc.).

I wouldn't expect the school to pitch in much especially for a non-revenue generating sport like golf. When I played on my high school team all the school provided was 1 shirt and 1 dozen balls per year. We actually had to buy our own team bags. We also won the state championship 4 out of 5 years and they school wouldn't even pay for the rings. We had to buy those ourselves also if you can believe it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I would almost certainly do a golf tournament fundraiser.  Contact local country clubs and courses and see if there willing to donate the course. A lot country clubs might like the idea and you will get a lot members  sign up to play as well.  If you can get a nice course you will make a ton money and everyone will be excited.  Not paying for green fees is huge if your trying to raise money.

There are lots of things the kids can do to help out in the tournament to raise extra money on to of the fees.

The kids who are the Longest hitters charge $10 for ball advantage on the longest hole and they hit from the women's tee.  Lots of different options here depending on skill of golfers you can make a lot money on a hole doing this. $10 per player adds up really quickly.

Charge for mulligans.

I would also talk to a few pro's who teach.  Many times they are happy to help you out.  A smart instructor will probaly end up way ahead since half the kids will end up taking private lessons.

Heck you could even wash the peoples cars when the are playing during the tournament or even at local businesses. 

The other thing is also ask around to local business to sell a discount card.

The key here is don't be shy and ask everyone for money.

Edited by tiger1873
  • Thanks 1

High School Coach here.

1) SNAP Raise. Look into it.

2) Sponsors for the team. $50 a pop, put them on a sign you get made at Office Depot. Take a picture send it out to sponsors and blast social media.

3) Long drive fundraiser. Borrow a launch monitor get people to pledge a certain amount for each drive the kid hits over 200, 250, or 300 depending on how skilled they are.

4) Putt-a-thon. Same thing as a drive fundraiser but putting.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My high school used to do (and still does) a huge (and I mean HUGE) crab feed every year. Every sport pitched in, tickets in the $55 a head, raffles, bar, etc. It was our big tradition and consistently earned 25-30k for all the school's sports. But that was a school-wide 25 year tradition. You may try a joint event with other teams though, especially if a multi-sport guy is playing on the golf team. We had an all-league forward from the basketball team on the golf team, and you can bet our coach harnessed that connection with the basketball boosters. (We helped host and got some money back from the basketball team's golf tournament.)

The golf team itself:

We worked a deal with local courses to sell "4 green fees for 2" and "3 rounds at three courses for $75" type coupon deals. Ask around and see if courses will sponsor. Does your team have a defined home course and arrangements with it?

With regards to coaching:

In my experience my coach and other coaches in our district were not swing coaches. They were good golfers and capable of offering swing thoughts if needed, but they definitely respected the players who had outside lessons. I remember my coach in one instance (with our #1) saying to him "I think you should try this, but I want you to get your pro's opinion of it before you practice it." It helped that the coach and the pro were very good friends. If your team can develop a good rapport with a pro, you can also get discounts on stuff like bags and balls.

And one thing I think should be offered, if you can manage it, is an unlimited supply of secondhand/lake balls if kids really need it. Our coach had buckets of them (From ProV's, B330's, etc. to Top Flites) and it was nice not having to pay for balls if I didn't want to. Our team provided our bags, but we had to give those back at the end of the year.

• Thanks 1

What does the school/team offer now and what would you are you looking to add through said fundraising?

• Like 1

Cobra Radspeed (10)

Cobra Radspeed Big Tour (14.5)

Cobra F8+ (19)

Cobra King Tec Hybrid (24)

Cobra Forged Tour (5-PW)

Cobra Black (50, 54)

Cobra Black Snakebite (58)

PING Heppler Fetch

Snell MTB Prime

1 hour ago, Celebros said:

What does the school/team offer now and what would you are you looking to add through said fundraising?

I'm just curious what others are doing. I have zero experience with high school golf l I would like to make it a better program if we can. Our hands are tied with doing a golf tournament because out Athletic director will not let us do a golf tournament because they dont want it to take away from cheerleading 🙄. Honestly we and the kids that already are content with paying our full load without fund raising because honestly we are used to spending alot of golf. But if we could bring more to the program we would like to do that also. 

This is going to sound weird, but one of my favorite local fundraisers is a croquet wine and cheese event--it's called wine and wickets.  It is held for the local Education Foundation at a local country club which happens to have a manicured croquet track or three.  I do realize not every community will have something like this, but I do, however, think that this format is doable without the pre-fabed croquet green.  Really, any fairway or practice green would work.  

This particular fundraiser fetches over $100 per head (maybe like $130?) and although it sounds stuffy, it is a complete blast.  This event usually has 18-24 people, but if it were marketed better it could double those numbers.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Tannerbug33 said:

I'm just curious what others are doing. I have zero experience with high school golf l I would like to make it a better program if we can. Our hands are tied with doing a golf tournament because out Athletic director will not let us do a golf tournament because they dont want it to take away from cheerleading 🙄. Honestly we and the kids that already are content with paying our full load without fund raising because honestly we are used to spending alot of golf. But if we could bring more to the program we would like to do that also. 

That’s ridiculous. Unless the school is financially backing the event the AD shouldn’t have any input or control over what you and the other parents choose to do. 

Saying the golf team can’t have a charity golf tournament is like saying the softball team can’t host a charity softball game because the soccer team already does that. 

Instead of golf you should raise funds to replace the Athletic Director....

• Like 2

How can they tell you that you cannot hold a golf outing for the golf team ? This is the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard.   I wonder if the AD is getting some type of kickback from the other outing?   Also is cheerleading even a sport ?   Do they compete against other schools?  Are there district, regional , state tournaments ?

Something doesn’t sound right 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, GolfSRQ said:

How can they tell you that you cannot hold a golf outing for the golf team ? This is the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard.   I wonder if the AD is getting some type of kickback from the other outing?   Also is cheerleading even a sport ?   Do they compete against other schools?  Are there district, regional , state tournaments ?

Something doesn’t sound right 

Cheer is very much a sport. At my HS the cheer team was bigger, more popular and a better recruiting tool (private school) than golf. They quite often went to regionals and the national events in Florida from California. 

There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

Here's what we have done.

Raffle a driver or high end putter get the golfers, parents and local courses involved if possible.

Ask for donations from businesses. (Our HS team does this with the parents doing most of the legwork with each parent getting about 5 businesses to ask, along with a golf tournament and selling hole sponsors)

Have a barbeque dinner. 

Ask the school what fundraisers they are affiliated with or have had good experiences with.

Our team has about 4-5 events a year that require hotel stays and we still usually have to open the checkbook.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, leezer99 said:

Cheer is very much a sport. At my HS the cheer team was bigger, more popular and a better recruiting tool (private school) than golf. They quite often went to regionals and the national events in Florida from California. 

The marching band enters competition s and travels too, is that a sport also ?

1 hour ago, GolfSRQ said:

The marching band enters competition s and travels too, is that a sport also ?

I have 3 sons who played HS football and a daughter who was in the band. One evening before an important playoff game when the stadium was starting to fill, I heard the band director tell the band most of the people filing in were here to watch the band. I’ve wondered if he actually believed that of if it was just his “Win one for the Gipper” speech. 

In most high schools football is king because it generates the most revenue. As others have said, as long as you’re not taking money away from other sports (ie: scheduling a fundraiser on the same date as something else) your AD should be happy you’re willing to help. Go over his head if he gets in the way.

• Thanks 1

Ping G400 Max Ventus Blue TR

Ping G425 Tensi Orange 3W

Ping G30 5W Tensi Orange 5W

Ping G425 Hybrid Tensi Orange 4H

Ping G425 5-S Recoil 780 ES Smacwrap F4

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs

Helping is great but here are some things you can do.

1. our coach isnt a swing coach, he has one that will help the kids out pro bono. Plus he ends up with students from this help.

2. Who cares if cheerleaders have and outing so can you, your a golf team not gonna do a car wash. We have 8 or 9 teams do golf outings and all do great.

3. Do a nice raffle, where winners are pulled at golf outing. 

4. Do some kind of summer program that raises funds, we do one, like 120 a kid and you get raffle tickets to sell and recoup half the money. This starts for 6th graders so coach can see what is coming down the line and get them used to playing. Plus it gives them discounted golf at all area courses. 

5, With this money you can get kids, balls and gloves then offer discounts for bags and other things.

6. They pay for entry fees into local junior tournaments. 

It is hard work but well worth it for the kids. 

• Thanks 1

TM SIM2 Max 10.5 UST V 2 
TM SIM Max 15 UST V2 66g
TM Stealth HL 17 Aldila RIP Alpha 6
TM Stealth UDI 19 UST V2
TM Stealth UDI 23 UST v2 
TM P790 6-PW Nippon Modus 3 105
TM MG 3 Black 50 Nippon Modus Tour WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 54 Nippon Pro WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 58 Nippon Pro Modus 105 T
TM TP Hydro Blast Bandon 3

On 12/6/2020 at 11:21 AM, leezer99 said:

Lookup Santa Clara Vanguard and tell me that’s not a sport. They travel more than most other sports teams. 

Cheer leaders are some of the best athletes at school.  Not a sport.

• Like 1

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

3 hours ago, heavy_hitter said:

Cheer leaders are some of the best athletes at school.  Not a sport.

Well said. While most cheerleaders are great athletes, cheerleading isn't technically considered a sport. At least not by NCAA and the US Court Systems standards. There have been a few suits/cases involving this subject.

• Like 1