The 10 finger grip is a relevant grip technique that should be taught as an option

cjrobertson

Okay hear me out... I made the switch a couple years ago in an act of desperation. Since then I've dropped my average scores from the mid 80s to the low to mid 70s and have carded multiple rounds under par. The grip certainly isn't doing all the work for me, but it is so natural and so easy. I would recommend it to any golfer and especially new golfers... after all, the only thing that matters is that a grip works!

• Like 2

I'm going to mess around with it to start the next year. Tried it a few rounds near the end of last year and I am guessing (haven't radar verified) it added 4-5ish mph onto my driver swing. Hit some of my longest drives trying a baseball grip.

Edited by b.mattay

Rogue ST Max LS (8.0), Tensei CK Pro White 70TX 

Cobra Aerojet (13.5), Tensei CK Pro White 70TX

TSi2 (18), Tensei AV Raw White 85TX

U85 (22), X100

i210 (5-UW), X100

T20 (55.09, 60.06), S400

35” Daddy Long Legs

Srixon Z-Star XV

On 12/6/2020 at 10:00 PM, NotThatGuyorAmI? said:

The supposed fault of the baseball grip is that the right hand might get underneath the club leading to hooks.

For a lot of people hooks could be an improvement.

That's kind of the beauty of it. I didn't have a "slice" but I was struggling with short left misses (I'm a goofy footer) and the grip change helped me square up the club face. 

On 12/6/2020 at 10:13 PM, b.mattay said:

I'm going to mess around with it to start the next year. Tried it a few rounds near the end of last year and I am guessing (haven't radar verified) it added 4-5ish mph onto my driver swing. Hit some of my longest drives trying a baseball grip.

You should definitely give it a go. The switch for me with the driver was the easiest, but with wedges the 10 finger caused me to get a bit steep. Let me know how your switch goes!

On 12/6/2020 at 10:42 PM, cjrobertson said:

Okay hear me out... I made the switch a couple years ago in an act of desperation. Since then I've dropped my average scores from the mid 80s to the low to mid 70s and have carded multiple rounds under par. The grip certainly isn't doing all the work for me, but it is so natural and so easy. I would recommend it to any golfer and especially new golfers... after all, the only thing that matters is that a grip works!

You have no idea how excited I am to read this 😆

I've made some huge strides with my swing recently and played some of my best golf ever this past season. Despite this, I still get in my head once in a while and question whether or not I would be better off committing to interlock or overlap.  This isn't to say my grip can't improve, but it's fun to hear others have success w/ the 10 finger

Also - same experience here getting a bit steep with wedges

I use a grip on my chips whereby all of my strong hand fingers are in contact with the shaft/grip. This seems to add a bit more touch and a "softness" to impact.

The answer to better golf is work your butt off and learn how to hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

6 hours ago, leftymatt said:

You have no idea how excited I am to read this 😆

I've made some huge strides with my swing recently and played some of my best golf ever this past season. Despite this, I still get in my head once in a while and question whether or not I would be better off committing to interlock or overlap.  This isn't to say my grip can't improve, but it's fun to hear others have success w/ the 10 finger

Also - same experience here getting a bit steep with wedges

It’s such a natural grip for me. If only I had found it sooner! Good luck and go low!

I recently (very recently) switched to the 10 finger from arthritis and I think it will stay.

But it is not the "baseball grip"... my left thumb is still covered by my right hand. As I understand it the "baseball grip " has both thumbs wrapped around the club.

Edit: After posting this today I came across the 10 finger/vs baseball reference in Harvey Penick's The Game of a Lifetime that I've been rereading after many years  away from it. Penick said in retrospect though he generally recommended the Vardon, he should have taught the 10 finger (not the baseball one) to nearly every women and to more men. He recommended a light 10 finger grip and the "thumb on the left side of the handle, where it can't jump in and take over your swing."

I tried that left thumb position to the left just in the living room but it didn't feel comfortable.  I may try it on the range, but the main reason I'm giving the 10 finger  ago is hand pain, both hands, mostly basal (thumb) arthritis. I felt on the left side I had more thumb pressure than just slightly to the right side of the grip.

Edited by myspinonit
  • Like 1

I went to 10 finger (baseball) grip with success many years ago to fight a slice with long clubs. I just used it for every swing.  I moved to overlap and have used this for last 15+ years. Every once in a while the driver swing is just not working, I'll revert to 10 finger. Think of it as a very narrow split hand drill grip method. I've tried interlock in a practice swing and it just feels weird (to me). Look at all the putter hand styles that are used now. As the scorecard is the only thing that matters, it is not how, but how many.

Ping G400 Max 10.5° Distanza SR

Ping G425 SFT 3 & 5, Distanza SR

Ping G30 4H R

Cleveland Launcher XL 6-PW, Projext X Catalyst 60 R

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50°, Project X Catalyst 80 R

Cleveland CBX 56° Full Face, Project X Catalyst 80 R

Evnroll ER10 34" Winn ProX 1.18 grip

Srixon Soft Feel

On 12/16/2020 at 9:22 AM, myspinonit said:

I recently (very recently) switched to the 10 finger from arthritis and I think it will stay.

But it is not the "baseball grip"... my left thumb is still covered by my right hand. As I understand it the "baseball grip " has both thumbs wrapped around the club.

Edit: After posting this today I came across the 10 finger/vs baseball reference in Harvey Penick's The Game of a Lifetime that I've been rereading after many years  away from it. Penick said in retrospect though he generally recommended the Vardon, he should have taught the 10 finger (not the baseball one) to nearly every women and to more men. He recommended a light 10 finger grip and the "thumb on the left side of the handle, where it can't jump in and take over your swing."

I tried that left thumb position to the left just in the living room but it didn't feel comfortable.  I may try it on the range, but the main reason I'm giving the 10 finger  ago is hand pain, both hands, mostly basal (thumb) arthritis. I felt on the left side I had more thumb pressure than just slightly to the right side of the grip.

Mike Austin was adamant the lead thumb be right next to the pointer finger. It feels like you're pinching the grip rather than grabbing it. 

It doesn't work for me. 

I think the interlocking grip works best with a strong pivot and the 10 finger grip works better with a lateral move. I naturally have a strong pivot and overlapping or 10 fingers is a snap hook or weak cut for me. 

On 12/6/2020 at 11:00 PM, NotThatGuyorAmI? said:

The supposed fault of the baseball grip is that the right hand might get underneath the club leading to hooks.

For a lot of people hooks could be an improvement.

i wonder if a bigger grip like a jumbomax would mitigate this issue for some people?