MEMBER REVIEWS: Cobra King Tour Irons with MIM Technology! See What Members Are Saying!

1060714790_KingTourTesting.jpg.cbe0a15d4f6f791f4dec7617743de6ed.jpg.87b50918e8549e184c9ac3cf17208c8c.jpg

We have members testing out the new Cobra King Tour irons with MIM technology and are ready to report back their findings. The members testing the irons are...

@J_Birdie

@mtex22

@csiachos

Please feel free to ask any of these members questions you might have on how these irons are out on the course! We also want to give a big THANK YOU to Cobra for putting on this testing event!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

CJPSignatureV3.png.c58dade69e39827f99ae02c309fb82e2.png

Instagram  |  iTunes  |  SoundCloud  |  Spotify | YouTube

Really curious about these. They look gorgeous. I just got a set of TM P-770s, but am wondering if these King Tours might be even better.

Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke ♦♦♦ 10.5° Ventus Velocore+ Blue 6X

Titleist TSR1 15° Atmos TS 8S

Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke ♦♦♦ 20° Ventus TR Red 7X

Callaway Mavrik Max 24° Project X Catalyst 75S

Titleist T150 6-GW Modus 120S

Titleist Vokey SM9 52.08F, 58.14K (at 56°), 60.04T DG Wedge Flex

Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 1.5 Prototype

super curious to see how the MIM stacks up against the T100's. 

Taylormade Sim 9* (Aldila Rogue 70x)

Taylormade Sim Ti 14* (Diamana 75 X)

PXG 0317X Gen2 19* (AD-95) 

Titleist 818 H1 22* (Evenflow Blue)

ZX7/Z Forged Mkii 5-PW (Accra 125x)

Taylormade MG4 (DG TI Spinner)

L.A.B B.2

Srixon Z-Star♦

I am curious about T100 comparisons too since they seem like the closest comp. If any of the testers have Cobra experience it would also be helpful to compare vs. the previous Forged Tours and/or the still current CBs from the King Forged CB/MB blended set. I'm searching for something a little bit more forgiving than my CBs with my next set.

• Like 1

Driver:  TSi3 10* w/ AD IZ 7X 

Fairway: TSi2 14.25* w/ AD IZ 7X 

Hybrid | Utility: TSi2 19* w/ AD IZ 95x | P790 UDI w/ KBS PGI 100

Irons: P7 Combo (790 4i, 770 5-7i, MC 8-p)

Wedges: SM7 52 F, 58 M w/ Modus 125S

Putter:  California Hollywood 34" Circle H

Looking forward to the feedback.. 

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

1 hour ago, hartrick11 said:

I am curious about T100 comparisons too since they seem like the closest comp. If any of the testers have Cobra experience it would also be helpful to compare vs. the previous Forged Tours and/or the still current CBs from the King Forged CB/MB blended set. I'm searching for something a little bit more forgiving than my CBs with my next set.

From my personal experience the MIM's have less offset and a slightly smaller top line. The MIMs are slightly less forgiving because of this. As far as feel/sound goes, everyone is going to interpret that differently. I am currently gaming Miura TC201/MB101 so I'm on the super soft side of the spectrum. The MIM are great feeling irons, but don't offer that same "squishy" sort of feeling a good forged iron can produce. However, I wouldn't hold that against the MIMs. They are phenomenal in my opinion. I think they nailed the looks. I like the profile a lot. The T100 are a good iron as well, but in my eye, they have just a little too much offset and I'm not a huge fan of the way the top line goes into the hosel. These are just my opinions though. My golfers have had great results with the MIM. Truly a great iron. Unfortunately, I think a lot of golfers will not give them a shot because they don't say forged on them and because of Rick Shiels review. I would have zero issues gaming them. Cobra is bringing a great line in 2021.

• Like 1

Oh and here are address pics of the 4 iron (yellow snell ball) and PW ( white Srixon ball). Absolutely perfect to me eye, very nice shaping!!

IMG_7870.jpeg

IMG_7878.jpeg

• Like 2

CALLAWAY ROGUE ST MAX TD TC - 10.5 - MMT 60

TAYLORMADE Stealth Plus- 15 / 18 - PX Hzrdus Red

TAYLORMADE Gapr Hi - 22 - KBS Hybrid

TITLEIST '23 T200 - 5-PW - Steelfiber i95

VOKEY SM9 Blk 48/53/58- KBS Hi Rev 2.0 / TM Kia Ma Montecarlo

Great looking irons and looking forward to reading the reviews. I am a one length player, but these certainly grab attention and hopefully if the MIM tech is legit it will filter its way into the One series. That said it looks like 3D may steal that show..

Honma TR20 Vizard RED S

Callaway Fusion 3 Wood Recoil S

PXG 6-Gap TT Elevate S

Vokey SM8 50, 54, 58

Scotty Phantom X 5.5

Looking forward to these reviews!

Have owned all the players forged line from Amp Forged through King Forged Tour. I imagine these will only be better.
Only considering these vs ZX7 for next year... gimme ammo. 

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1237994-my-carls-golfland-contest-fitting-experience-grab-a-drink/"]My Carl's Golfland / GolfWRX WITB story[/url]

Cobra F9, Atmos Black TS 6X
Titleist TS3 3w, Atmos Black TS 7s

Titleist 510 3i Atmos Black TS 9x
Srixon U85 4, z785 5-PW Modus 120x
Titleist Vokey SM5 50F/54M/58M, DG TIS400
EVNRoll ER5

@mtex22...Nice to here your comparison to the Bridgestone J15cb’s.  I’ve had my J15cb’s for 3 years going on 4 and they’ve been my favorite irons to date.  Not planning on changing since my irons are still in really good shape, but the Cobra MIM Tour’s are intriguing.  Seeing in your review that you experienced better dispersion with the Cobra’s is nice to hear.  Thanks for the write up.  Looking forward to hear about your rounds 2&3.  

• Like 1

Driver: Titleist TSi3 9*- Mitsubishi Diamana Whiteboard D+ 60 X-Stiff

Fairway Woods: Titleist TSR3 15* Mitsubishi Diamana Whiteboard D+ 70 X-Stiff

Hybrid: Titleist TSR2 18* Fujikura Motore Speeder 8.8 X-Stiff

Irons: Titleist T100(2019) 3, 5-PW KBS C-Taper 130X

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM8 50* KBS C-Taper 130X, 54* & 58* KBS 610 Wedge 125.

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab #10 

Ball: Titleist Pro V1(2023)

21 minutes ago, Masse1369 said:

I'm probably 10 rounds in with mine.  Still the best irons I have ever played.  Feel great, look great and are very forgiving for the profile. They are a little longer heel to toe than some other models in this range but that doesn't bother me and actually prefer it.  I have found every Miura iron I have ever hit to be very firm feeling.  I've played 501, 5005, 101 and some others.  To me the MIM feel better.  I was a Master Fitter for PXG too and have had probably 100 sets of irons in my lifetime.  These are my favorite.

Wow, that says a lot. Damnit I'm so sad they didn't release these in a single-length set. Would have absolutely loved to give them a shot. Wonder how they'd combo with my blueprints. How do you find the long irons to play? Good height/spin?

Driver: TSR3 10.0* | Accra Tour Z RPG 472 45"

5 Wood: SIM Max 18.5* | Mitsubishi MMT 85TX

2i: Mizuno Fli-Hi 18* | KBS Prototype 95X

3i: Ping i59 @ 21* | Mitsubishi MMT 125TX
4-PW: Callaway TCB Raw | Project X 7.0
Wedges: 50&54&60: Cleveland CBX Zipcore | Project X 6.5
Putter: Cobra Vintage Sport-60

21 minutes ago, JakeW13 said:

Wow, that says a lot. Damnit I'm so sad they didn't release these in a single-length set. Would have absolutely loved to give them a shot. Wonder how they'd combo with my blueprints. How do you find the long irons to play? Good height/spin?

I hit the ball medium to high so no issues whatsoever for me. Very playable. I hope they make a one length version. I want to give it a go in 3H, 4-9 @ 37.5” and 45-60 @ 35.5” for my Cleveland’s. 

I’ve played blades for 20 years of my life and the blueprints are tiny and didn’t care for the way they felt. Go all in. 😉

Paradym TD 8° @ 9° | Paradym TD 15° | UW 19° | Honma TW747V 4-9 | Zipcore 47°/51°/55°/59° | Evnroll EV2 Armlock

1 hour ago, Masse1369 said:

I'm probably 10 rounds in with mine.  Still the best irons I have ever played.  Feel great, look great and are very forgiving for the profile. They are a little longer heel to toe than some other models in this range but that doesn't bother me and actually prefer it.  I have found every Miura iron I have ever hit to be very firm feeling.  I've played 501, 5005, 101 and some others.  To me the MIM feel better.  I was a Master Fitter for PXG too and have had probably 100 sets of irons in my lifetime.  These are my favorite.

That's great! A lot of my golfers love the MIMs and they are a killer iron for sure. Like I mentioned, we are all going to interpret sound/feel differently. I prefer the feel of my Miura over the MIM, but I don't want that to take anything away from the MIMs. It shouldn't mean anything other than that's my personal preference. 

I finally got a chance to hit the 7 iron at the range yesterday. I will preface by saying I have been a big Cobra fan for a while and given the looks, potential additional forgiveness compared to my King Forged CBs, and my comfort with their prior lines of irons (I love these CBs, and the Forged Tours also feel amazing), these MIMs seem right up my alley.

Looks-wise I really like what they have built. The at-address pics as shown above look amazing to me; slightly longer heel to toe than my King Forged CBs, with a slightly bigger but still small topline, and less offset (at least visually to me) than the T100s; I would have no issue transitioning from my smaller CBs to these for some additional forgiveness. The cavity is a little bit busy for my taste, but not a big deal. 

For some reason Cobra only gave the Golfmart 1 stiff (stock $taper 120, which was in-use) and 1 X-stiff (Modus 120) shaft for people to try. Not a huge deal, but this is at one of the highest traffic golf stores in the country (Del Mar, CA with an adjacent grass driving range that gets heavy use year-round), so it seems like a bit of a missed opportunity there relative to the other big 5 companies that offer several shaft options to this particular store. 

I tried it with the Modus 120 X since it was my only option. I hit probably 25 shots with it, alternating between it and my CB 7 iron (which has $ taper 130). The MIM performed, hitting all the right numbers for me, and did seem to offer a bit more forgiveness out toward the toe given the extra blade length. Feel-wise I was disappointed, though. It wasn't even close to my CBs, and for that matter the T100s which I tried a few weeks back. I had quite a few shots where I felt like I hit it well, hit the right numbers carry & ball speed wise, but the strike still felt kind of harsh; not bad, but definitely not aligned with the Cobra marketing claims. Maybe I was just consistently missing the sweet spot toe-side because of the longer blade length and they are just much more forgiving than my CBs? If I had only hit like 5 shots I could definitely believe that, but I hit over 20 including a few that really felt like good swings and gave me all my right numbers, so I'm skeptical. These are out of the running for me.

• Like 1

Driver:  TSi3 10* w/ AD IZ 7X 

Fairway: TSi2 14.25* w/ AD IZ 7X 

Hybrid | Utility: TSi2 19* w/ AD IZ 95x | P790 UDI w/ KBS PGI 100

Irons: P7 Combo (790 4i, 770 5-7i, MC 8-p)

Wedges: SM7 52 F, 58 M w/ Modus 125S

Putter:  California Hollywood 34" Circle H

On 12/10/2020 at 3:39 PM, SUMM1T said:

From my personal experience the MIM's have less offset and a slightly smaller top line. The MIMs are slightly less forgiving because of this. As far as feel/sound goes, everyone is going to interpret that differently. I am currently gaming Miura TC201/MB101 so I'm on the super soft side of the spectrum. The MIM are great feeling irons, but don't offer that same "squishy" sort of feeling a good forged iron can produce. However, I wouldn't hold that against the MIMs. They are phenomenal in my opinion. I think they nailed the looks. I like the profile a lot. The T100 are a good iron as well, but in my eye, they have just a little too much offset and I'm not a huge fan of the way the top line goes into the hosel. These are just my opinions though. My golfers have had great results with the MIM. Truly a great iron. Unfortunately, I think a lot of golfers will not give them a shot because they don't say forged on them and because of Rick Shiels review. I would have zero issues gaming them. Cobra is bringing a great line in 2021.

Wait....you're saying that Rick Sheils can actually influence golf club sales?   

That's hilarious.  You know who influences my club purchases? Nobody but me.

• Like 3

king tour irons.docx

I think Rick Shiels, Mark Crossfield, and all the YouTube reviewers do help sales.  Especially if you can't get your hands on clubs prior to buying.  Why do you think OEMs are sending them free sets to demo and review?  Why did Cobra do this with us?  Each to their own.  I watch their videos to see what they have to say, but I would never buy a product based solely on their comments. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, BenSeattle said:

Wait....you're saying that Rick Sheils can actually influence golf club sales?   

That's hilarious.  You know who influences my club purchases? Nobody but me.

Absolutely. Most of the major YouTube golf channels will and do influence sales. Watch WTB ads after TXG does a shaft/club review. You'll instantly see dozens of WTB's for the things they try. How much does Rick Shield influence, that's another question and one I can't answer. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, SUMM1T said:

Absolutely. Most of the major YouTube golf channels will and do influence sales. Watch WTB ads after TXG does a shaft/club review. You'll instantly see dozens of WTB's for the things they try. How much does Rick Shield influence, that's another question and one I can't answer. 

He obviously influences sales. Or these companies would not send him pre embargo stuff to try. Saying he does not influence sales is just silly. We can disagree to what extent he influences but there is at least some sway. 

BALL; Chrome Soft X

1 hour ago, QuigleyDU said:

He obviously influences sales. Or these companies would not send him pre embargo stuff to try. Saying he does not influence sales is just silly. We can disagree to what extent he influences but there is at least some sway. 

I think that was meant for someone else. I said he influences sales. 

4 minutes ago, SUMM1T said:

I think that was meant for someone else. I said he influences sales. 

for sure. I was just backing you up. 

• Like 1

BALL; Chrome Soft X

Round 2/3 Update: 

Getting really grooved with the irons. I know I spoke of dispersion the first time, well that continued but I am also starting to see some solid distance. Normal swings get me where I need to be. I used the long irons quite a bit and easily getting the distances I am used to but really getting more stopping power. I used to play Modus 105 and they were great shafts but man they were too low spin I was not getting the ball to stop. This combo of MIM Tour with $ Taper 120 gets me the same carry distances but the ball is staying close to where it lands. I am absolutely loving the increased spin!! The greens in San Diego at least where I play are really fast right now so I am really noticing a difference in spin. I took a pic of a nice struck 7 iron from 162 normally that would bounce to the middle back but it stayed very close to the pin.

I used the 5 iron quite a bit and really had some high solid shots with a strong ball flight, my confidence is really growing with the long irons already there 7 iron down! Oh and the gap wedge is a weapon for me, from the first swing with it just dialed in. Overall the distances are very consistent with no weird hot random flyers, it's what you want in your irons!! Predictability. The blade length is just perfect to my eye on all clubs! Just right.

I don't even need to mention the feel every well struck shot feels incredible!! I don't like loud, clicky or harder feeling and it is none of that. It's soft but not mushy if that makes sense. It does feel different when you do not hit the center so you do get that instant feedback which is very important to me. 

Check these out before you make a decision folks!!

IMG_7929.jpeg

IMG_7931.jpeg

IMG_7935.jpeg

IMG_7939.jpeg

Edited by mtex22
  • Like 2

CALLAWAY ROGUE ST MAX TD TC - 10.5 - MMT 60

TAYLORMADE Stealth Plus- 15 / 18 - PX Hzrdus Red

TAYLORMADE Gapr Hi - 22 - KBS Hybrid

TITLEIST '23 T200 - 5-PW - Steelfiber i95

VOKEY SM9 Blk 48/53/58- KBS Hi Rev 2.0 / TM Kia Ma Montecarlo

21 hours ago, hartrick11 said:

I finally got a chance to hit the 7 iron at the range yesterday. I will preface by saying I have been a big Cobra fan for a while and given the looks, potential additional forgiveness compared to my King Forged CBs, and my comfort with their prior lines of irons (I love these CBs, and the Forged Tours also feel amazing), these MIMs seem right up my alley.

Looks-wise I really like what they have built. The at-address pics as shown above look amazing to me; slightly longer heel to toe than my King Forged CBs, with a slightly bigger but still small topline, and less offset (at least visually to me) than the T100s; I would have no issue transitioning from my smaller CBs to these for some additional forgiveness. The cavity is a little bit busy for my taste, but not a big deal. 

For some reason Cobra only gave the Golfmart 1 stiff (stock $taper 120, which was in-use) and 1 X-stiff (Modus 120) shaft for people to try. Not a huge deal, but this is at one of the highest traffic golf stores in the country (Del Mar, CA with an adjacent grass driving range that gets heavy use year-round), so it seems like a bit of a missed opportunity there relative to the other big 5 companies that offer several shaft options to this particular store. 

I tried it with the Modus 120 X since it was my only option. I hit probably 25 shots with it, alternating between it and my CB 7 iron (which has $ taper 130). The MIM performed, hitting all the right numbers for me, and did seem to offer a bit more forgiveness out toward the toe given the extra blade length. Feel-wise I was disappointed, though. It wasn't even close to my CBs, and for that matter the T100s which I tried a few weeks back. I had quite a few shots where I felt like I hit it well, hit the right numbers carry & ball speed wise, but the strike still felt kind of harsh; not bad, but definitely not aligned with the Cobra marketing claims. Maybe I was just consistently missing the sweet spot toe-side because of the longer blade length and they are just much more forgiving than my CBs? If I had only hit like 5 shots I could definitely believe that, but I hit over 20 including a few that really felt like good swings and gave me all my right numbers, so I'm skeptical. These are out of the running for me.

do you think the feel could have been related to the shaft? you don't have X in your CBs right? feel is so subjective, just interested in your experience compared to everyone else you says they feel good. I play the same irons as you and am considering these or the new MB/CB when it comes next year