GD AD TP Driver shaft - What Fairway Shaft?

OspreyCI

I absolutely love my GD AD TP 5S (untipped) shaft in my driver. I have an GD DI 6S (not sure about tipping) in my 3 wood. It’s gets a little loose sometimes. 

Any suggestions to match my driver shaft? AD DI 7S? What GD shaft?

I swing my driver at 102SS. 

Mizuno ST-Z 230 9.5 Diamana T+ 60s
Mizuno ST-Z 15* Diamana T+ 60s 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

1 hour ago, OspreyCI said:

I absolutely love my GD AD TP 5S (untipped) shaft in my driver. I have an GD DI 6S (not sure about tipping) in my 3 wood. It’s gets a little loose sometimes. 

If you like the weight in the 6s could you pull it and tip it another 1/2” or so? 

The 7s is a good bit stouter than the 6 but that’s a pretty good weight jump. 

I never had before but I’m using the same shaft in my driver and 4 wood just moving up a weight class and it has worked out really well. So maybe look for a tp 6s and tip it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Rogue st Max 10.5 Tour AD VR 6

Titleist TSi2 16.5 Tour AD DI 7

Sim Ti 19.75 Oban Kiyoshi Purple 75

PXG Gen 2 22 Hybrid Kiyoshi Purple

Cobra King Tour 5-g Elevate Tour
Ping S159 56W and 60B Modus 125
Bettinardi BB-28SB

I had gamed the TP 6x in driver for the past few years and switched to Fuji Ventus Blue (velocore) 6x towards end of last season. When I first put the TP in my driver I also put a TP 7x in my 3 wood and the 3 wood setup has not changed since. Due to the accelerated taper rate on the TP (from mid to upper tip of the shaft) it can be sensitive to heavier head weight, so after some trial and error I ended up tipping the 7x a full inch. Originally it was tipped 1/2” (standard 3 wood tipping) but it def felt too head heavy. So if you really like the TP in driver, i would throw a TP 6s in the 3 wood but just pay attention to the tipping. Probably start with recommended 1/2” and if it feels very head heavy, try another 1/4” at a time. *NOTE* This was just MY experience and what worked for me. I tried a DI in my fwy wood as well, but it wasn’t a good fit for me (a bit too loose feeling). Hope that helps, TP is such a great shaft btw. 

• Thanks 1

Callaway Rogue ST MaxLS 9*w/Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6s

Callaway Epic Flash sz 15* /Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 7s

Titleist Tsi2 hybrid 18* /GD Tour AD IZ 85x

Titleist T-100s 4-GW /PX Lz 6.0

Titleist SM9 54-12d, 60-10s /PX Lz 6.0

Bettinardi BBzero

5 hours ago, OspreyCI said:

I’m around 108-110 with driver for reference, so don’t be afraid of going up a weight class on the TP and tipping it. Obviously everyone has a different swing and feel sensitivity, but the TP is just a smooth as silk feeling shaft. Sounds like you are similar to me, probably a mid to late release, and that big AD DI kick isn’t a great match. The extra tipping on my 3 wood TP shaft tightened up the feel on it a little bit, but had minimal impact on launch and ball flight (for me). 
Btw- if you like the TP you will almost certainly Ventus Blue, if you have never hit it before.

• Thanks 1

Bettinardi BBzero

I would recommend the Ventus blue or red.   It really depends what you're looking for in terms of launch of spin especially off the deck.  I always recommend a shaft that spins more for the fairway metal compared to the driver shaft that way the ball stays in the air longer and doesn't fall out of the sky too fast off the deck.  Difference between the blue and red is spin and a slightly higher launch with red.  If you're a high spin golfer go with blue and if your not, then red would probably fit you better.  If you like MCA then Diamana BF or Tensei AV raw blue would work.  If you're intent on staying with GD, then I would highly recommend the IZ. 

• Thanks 1

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

9 hours ago, KevCannon said:

I’m around 108-110 with driver for reference, so don’t be afraid of going up a weight class on the TP and tipping it. Obviously everyone has a different swing and feel sensitivity, but the TP is just a smooth as silk feeling shaft. Sounds like you are similar to me, probably a mid to late release, and that big AD DI kick isn’t a great match. The extra tipping on my 3 wood TP shaft tightened up the feel on it a little bit, but had minimal impact on launch and ball flight (for me). 
Btw- if you like the TP you will almost certainly Ventus Blue, if you have never hit it before.

Thanks for the help. Probably staying with GD. I demo’d the Ventus about dying my driver fitting and the TP just worked better for me. 

Is TP or IZ good in a 3 wood? Good

launch? Those might be dumb question because they are both listed as higher launch. I did have the IZ when it came out in an M6 driver and really liked it. TP or IZ??

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

I would say IZ.  I noticed more spin than the TP.  I know they are both touted as mid launch/low spin, but IZ would be more mid launch mid spin IMO simply from looking at trackman numbers.   Launch was very close with a variance of 1-2 degrees of each other.  

Edited by phizzy30
  • Thanks 1

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

On 1/18/2021 at 10:44 AM, OspreyCI said:

Currently play TP-6x in my driver, DI-7x in my 3 wood and DI-8x in my 5 wood.

Four options I can see.

1. Tip your DI-6s

2. Try DI-6x

3. Try DI-7s

4. Try TP-6s

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Driver - Titleist TS3 9.5* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6x

3 wood - Titleist TS2 15* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD DI-7x

5wood - Titleist TS2 18* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD DI-8x

Irons - Srixon ZX7 4, Srixon Z Forged 5- PW w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus 3 Tour 120X

Gap Wedge - Cleveland RTX Zipcore 52* w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus Wedge 115

Sand Wedge - Cleveland RTX Zipcore 58* w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus Wedge 115

Lob Wedge - Cleveland RTX Zipcore Full Face 64* w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus Wedge 115

Putter - Bettinardi DASS Diamond Face BB8 w/ Stability Tour Black

Ball - Srixon Z Star

Feel wise the vr is most likely going to be the best match.  Both have the fast taper technology.  I would start with the 6s.

TM M6 9 Graphite Design HD 6x
TM M6 15 Graphite Design TP 7x
TM M6 18 Graphite Design VR 8x
Mizuno JPX 921 SEL 4-G Nippon SPO

Mizuno T22 56D, 61X Nippon SPO
Byron Morgan DH89 SSS 350g KBS CT Tour black

6 minutes ago, hypergolf said:

Four options I can see.

1. Tip your DI-6s

2. Try DI-6x

3. Try DI-7s

4. Try TP-6s

Thanks. Might have it tipped fist and hotmelt back up to SW. DI-7 I tried years ago and it was pretty stiff for me. Doesn’t seem like I have read many people use the TP in a fairway. Why? 

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

1 minute ago, OspreyCI said:

Thanks. Might have it tipped fist and hotmelt back up to SW. DI-7 I tried years ago and it was pretty stiff for me. Doesn’t seem like I have read many people use the TP in a fairway. Why? 

The TP is not very common. Probably because not a lot of pros play it.

I was playing a TP7s in my driver until it got kicked out by a Ventus Blue. I still have a TP8S in my 4W which isn't likely to be going anywhere.

• Like 1

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

1 minute ago, jvincent said:

The TP is not very common. Probably because not a lot of pros play it.

I was playing a TP7s in my driver until it got kicked out by a Ventus Blue. I still have a TP8S in my 4W which isn't likely to be going anywhere.

Thanks. During my driver fitting at PXG I was better with the TP than the Ventus Blue. My fitter liked a lot for me. I just like GD shafts. 

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

1 hour ago, hypergolf said:

Four options I can see.

1. Tip your DI-6s

2. Try DI-6x

3. Try DI-7s

4. Try TP-6s

Hypergolf hit the nail on the head. Staying within the GD family, the DI should be a great fairway shaft to pair with your TP once you dial-in the weight/tipping. The IZ would be another great option. Obviously, ones individual delivery characteristics play a big role, but the general rule of thumb transitioning down from driver to fairway wood shaft is (i) go up a weight class, (ii) add +/-0.5" tipping (0.0" - 1.0"), and (iii) go to a profile that has a slightly softer mid/tip section to promote higher launch characteristics given that the fairway wood needs to be dual purpose (off a tee & off the deck) whereas you're hitting driver exclusively off a tee. Good luck!

On 1/18/2021 at 9:07 AM, OspreyCI said:

Thanks for the help. Probably staying with GD. I demo’d the Ventus about dying my driver fitting and the TP just worked better for me. 

Is TP or IZ good in a 3 wood? Good

launch? Those might be dumb question because they are both listed as higher launch. I did have the IZ when it came out in an M6 driver and really liked it. TP or IZ??

I have tried both in the driver and both in a fwy wood, I prefer the feel of the TP. IZ has that linear (one piece) feel, and at the time i was turning it over more often than i liked to see. What initially brought me to the TP was its reputation favoring a fade. IZ launched significantly higher than TP as well, and off the tee i was losing distance with a fwy wood. If u are looking for more launch with a bit more spin, then IZ is a good option otherwise a heavier TP should be great.

• Thanks 1

Bettinardi BBzero

36 minutes ago, KevCannon said:

I have tried both in the driver and both in a fwy wood, I prefer the feel of the TP. IZ has that linear (one piece) feel, and at the time i was turning it over more often than i liked to see. What initially brought me to the TP was its reputation favoring a fade. IZ launched significantly higher than TP as well, and off the tee i was losing distance with a fwy wood. If u are looking for more launch with a bit more spin, then IZ is a good option otherwise a heavier TP should be great.

Good stuff. Would the IZ launch a lot lower than my DI in my fairway?

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

24 minutes ago, OspreyCI said:

Good stuff. Would the IZ launch a lot lower than my DI in my fairway?

It will always come down to how a shaft performs in your own hands, as everybody’s swing is different. For me the IZ launched a little higher than DI. But those 2 shafts felt very different from each other.

• Thanks 1

Bettinardi BBzero

13 minutes ago, KevCannon said:

It will always come down to how a shaft performs in your own hands, as everybody’s swing is different. For me the IZ launched a little higher than DI. But those 2 shafts felt very different from each other.

If I time it right the DI is very long in my M4 3 wood. Timing is off and it goes both left and right, with more left than anything. 

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

I played AD TP in driver and still have a TP in my 3 wood. Unbelievable shaft. I have since moved to Ventus Black in driver, but still have the TP as a backup. The people that like TP often find DI to feel "loose". At the same time the TP still has some kick, where the IZ feels more one piece/linear. The TP is the perfect balance between the two sides. If you are looking for a little more spin and like the TP, I would look at the VR. If you have enough launch and spin, or use your 3 wood mostly off the tee, I think the TP is fine in a 3 wood. 

• Thanks 1

Cobra Aerojet LS 10.5* - Hzrdus Black Gen 4 60 6.5 / Aerojet LS 3 - AD TP 7X / SZ Tour 5 - AD TP 8X / Apex 21 4H - AD IZ 95X / Cobra Tour 5-P, RTX6 50 M KBS $ Taper HT S+ / 56F - KBS 610S / 60M KBS Hi Rev 2.0 S/ White Hot OG #7 CH / Maxfli Tour

On 1/19/2021 at 2:48 PM, cw1209 said:

I played AD TP in driver and still have a TP in my 3 wood. Unbelievable shaft. I have since moved to Ventus Black in driver, but still have the TP as a backup. The people that like TP often find DI to feel "loose". At the same time the TP still has some kick, where the IZ feels more one piece/linear. The TP is the perfect balance between the two sides. If you are looking for a little more spin and like the TP, I would look at the VR. If you have enough launch and spin, or use your 3 wood mostly off the tee, I think the TP is fine in a 3 wood. 

I have played in a diver over the last 3 -4 years: DI, IZ, VR, And TP. 

For me I rank them: 

TP, IZ, DI, VR. 

Gotta go ahead and try the TP in a fairway. 

• Like 1

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

3 hours ago, OspreyCI said:

I have played in a diver over the last 3 -4 years: DI, IZ, VR, And TP. 

For me I rank them: 

TP, IZ, DI, VR. 

Gotta go ahead and try the TP in a fairway. 

I think it will work out great. You know the TP works and putting the same shaft in driver and 3 wood will keep the feel similar. If the numbers are right, I see no reason why you can't play the same shaft in driver and 3 wood. A significant number of pros do the same thing. 

• Like 1

Cobra Aerojet LS 10.5* - Hzrdus Black Gen 4 60 6.5 / Aerojet LS 3 - AD TP 7X / SZ Tour 5 - AD TP 8X / Apex 21 4H - AD IZ 95X / Cobra Tour 5-P, RTX6 50 M KBS $ Taper HT S+ / 56F - KBS 610S / 60M KBS Hi Rev 2.0 S/ White Hot OG #7 CH / Maxfli Tour

I have GD XC 7x in the driver and DI 8x in the 3 wood. I have a TP6x that I played in the driver but the weight was too low and it spun too much. 7x has been much better for me. 8x will be hard to move out of my bag and I will probably move on from the TP altogether as 60g range just doesn't suit me

Driver: Ping G430LST - Diamana GT 60tx

3 Wood:  TM Stealth 3W - Diamana GT 70tx

5 Wood: Ping G430 Max 5W - Tensei Pro Orange 80tx

Irons: Taylormade P770 4-PW - Modus 130s

Wedges: Vokey SM8 50.14F Modus 130x, SM9 54.12 - 58.12 - Modus 130x 

Putter: Ping PLD Anser