PXG Gen 4 prototype drivers - new putters

pga43

So just came from playing 9 mostly in the rain 😢, but I gotta say I really like the Gen4.  I hit it side by side on about 4-5 holes and honestly it was almost identical to the Cobra.   Now take all that with a grain of salt as I wasn’t swinging freely and wasn’t trying to slip in the wetness of the course so was swinging very easy. But it’s very promising. I really liked the sound/feel better then the Cobra and Proto. Sounds even more like a baseball bat which I love having played college ball for years. Now I just need some dry weather to give it a good run. Also still have to swap my other Smoke green into it too. 

• Like 3

Driver:  MIZUNO ST-G 440 (9.5d) - Lin-Q Red 60s

Fwy:  MIZUNO ST-G Titanium 3w (15) - Lin-Q Red 60s

Fwy:  COBRA F6 Baffler (19) - Hzrdus Red 75/6.0
Hybrid:  COBRA F7 Hybrid (22) - Tour Blue 85s

Iron:  MIZUNO Pro 245 (5 - G) - Recoil Proto 125 F4
Wedge:  MIZUNO T24 Denim Copper (54/10) - Recoil Wedge Proto F4     
Wedge:  TAYLORMADE Hi-Toe Copper (60/10) - Recoil Wedge Proto F4

Putter:  LAJOSI DD201 Copper Flow or MANNKRAFTED MA-55 Flow
Bag:  BENNINGTON LQO-9 Stand Bag or Ogio Silencer Cart

Was able to play 18 after work yesterday.....11 of 14 fairways! Such a penetrating flight and it really keeps the ball online. As much as I love my Proto driver and how it transformed my tee game, I sadly have to sell it. Gen4 all the way!

My friend was spraying his driver all over the place and hit 3 total fairways. Let him hit my driver as a 2nd ball 3 times and he dead centered the fairway each time! Im 165 ball speed and he tops out around 172. With the drives he hit with my Gen4 he was about 20 yards past me

• Like 1

TM Qi10 9* ... KBS TD Serape 60x

TM Stealth 2+ 4w ... KBS TD Rainbow 70x

TM Stealth 2+ 6w*... KBS TD Rainbow 80x

Titleist 5h 23* C1 ... KBS Proto 105 S+

Mizuno Pro 243 5 - P ... KBS TGI 110

TM MG4 50 S, 56 LB, 60 TW... KBS $-Taper 130x

Greyson x Bettinardi SS3 and QB6

TaylorMade TP5x

and on a side note I called in asking about any deals hoping to pick up a 3w.. Gen4 drivers call in price are $349

Also for the full bag deal the guy told me you can go driver, 2 fairways, and 2 hybrids at no upchagre. Sugar Daddy wedges are 2 clubs but if you wanted a 3rd it would be extra $249. Only thing that sucks is the shaft selection but I guess if you're getting ready to fork over $4000 then whats another $400 for shafts. 

I think I really wanna dive in for the full bag deal. Expensive yes, but definitely a steal for what you get

Edited by JoeFrigo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

TM Qi10 9* ... KBS TD Serape 60x

TM Stealth 2+ 4w ... KBS TD Rainbow 70x

TM Stealth 2+ 6w*... KBS TD Rainbow 80x

Titleist 5h 23* C1 ... KBS Proto 105 S+

Mizuno Pro 243 5 - P ... KBS TGI 110

TM MG4 50 S, 56 LB, 60 TW... KBS $-Taper 130x

Greyson x Bettinardi SS3 and QB6

TaylorMade TP5x

3 hours ago, JoeFrigo said:

and on a side note I called in asking about any deals hoping to pick up a 3w.. Gen4 drivers call in price are $349

Also for the full bag deal the guy told me you can go driver, 2 fairways, and 2 hybrids at no upchagre. Sugar Daddy wedges are 2 clubs but if you wanted a 3rd it would be extra $249. Only thing that sucks is the shaft selection but I guess if you're getting ready to fork over $4000 then whats another $400 for shafts. 

I think I really wanna dive in for the full bag deal. Expensive yes, but definitely a steal for what you get

The call in at $349 is such a deal! Can't wait to demo it tomorrow. Hope they will let me try it with my shaft. 

Mizuno ST-Z 230 9.5 Diamana T+ 60s
Mizuno ST-Z 15* Diamana T+ 60s 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

8 minutes ago, OspreyCI said:

The call in at $349 is such a deal! Can't wait to demo it tomorrow. Hope they will let me try it with my shaft. 

Man - the call in prices is a huge mistake IMO.  The reason is that you are undercutting and competing with your fitters.  I bought the Gen4 X driver at $295 (and one day it will arrive), because it was 33% less than buying through my fitter - PXG cuts out the commission for the fitter.

I do not like being put in that position.  In the past, rather than order from their site, I go through the fitter to support his group.  I like getting good deals but I think this is a mistake on PXG's part if they continue predatory pricing of their own system.  The only way I would do that is to kick something to any attached fitter if the person bought via the phone.  I was tempted to buy several drivers at that price 🙂

• Like 3

PXG Gen 5 0311 9º, Kai'li Blue, Titleist TSr3, 9º, Ventus Blue

Titleist TSr2, 15º fw, GD Tour AD IZ

Titleist TSr2, 20º fw, GD Tour AD IZ

Titleist TSi2, 21º Hy, GD Tour AD IZ

Titleist TSi2, 24º Hy, GD Tour AD IZ

Titleist T150 6-48º Tensei AV Blue AM2

Vokey SM9 54º, 60º, Tensei AV Blue AM2

L.A.B. Golf DF3, MEZZ.1 Max reg & Broom,  MEZZ.1, DF 2.1 Reg & Broom

No room to list Bench Warmers 🙂

Ha anyone gotten any data on the lack of the toe weight in the drivers or the fairways?  As in a comparison to the Proto drivers and FWs.  I compared my Gen2 5w to a Proto 5w I just got and I ended up with a 2.5g weight in the toe.  I wanted to know if the Gen4 were worth waiting for over the Protos.

For me, this is why I returned my Gen4X driver after a round and several long range sessions when compared to my Proto+ with a heavier weight in the toe (and my SIM2MAX hot melted toe side).  Even when I opened up the loft sleeve, was getting a flight that was more push draw to straight draw and a couple loose hooks.  In hind sight the fair thing to have done was get the Gen4 X toe hot melted to have a fair comparison. Glad I did return it as even with the restocking fee the cash back was still greater than last weeks phone in promotion...

Not sure on the fairway.  In my 0211 3wood fit, I hit every model and a few shaft combos. The Proto and Gen4 were great and I could game either (or the 0211) off the tee, but the numbers off the turf is where the 0211 separated itself.  For this my fitter kept the heavy weight center to keep the spin down as we needed this. I didn't have a chance to experiment with the heavier weight in the toe of the Proto.  

I have gamed and have a Proto 5 wood that has the heaviest weight in the center, with a 5 gram toe weight (mainly for feel) which I love tuned to the big - loft sleeve setting. 

Conclusion: for me the driver toe weight is essential for my feels and getting that consistent strike and flight pattern I like to see. For the fairways, I think its less of an issue for me for whatever reason (shorter shaft, lie angle, feel)...just doesn't really matter here for me.

• Like 1

PXG GEN6 0311 10.5*DRIVER/FUJI RED VELOCORE 6S/GP TW WHT

PXG GEN5 0311XF 17*FAIRWAY/FUJI MOTORE X F3 7S/GP TW WHT

PXG GEN3 0311XP 3 IRON/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG GEN3 0311P 4-PW/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG GEN4 0311P GW/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG SD II WEDGES/56/13&62/10/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/GP TW BLK

MACHINE M2A 1018RAW CS PUTTER/ACCRA I-STEEL/SS FLAT 1.0

Took the XT for a maiden voyage 9 holes this morning on a still soggy course after 11 days of rain. Quick impressions, sets up nicely and a little open compared to the Proto & Gen4 X. All I normally do is hit baby draws, well, until the XT entered the picture. The ball flight is a penetrating straight shot with a slight cut. Might be good option for you "toe weighters" who are having trouble coming to grips with the Gen4 weight configuration. I actually remember seeing a video where they mentioned the XT was designed with a heavier toe to promote the cutters. After a couple holes, I was giggling because I never hit cutters. Not a good day to judge distance, since course is soggy, but I wasn't in unfamiliar territory on the drives. It did seem to spin more into the wind, but a lot of factors could play into the wind performance. Hopefully a few days of Texas heat will dry out the fairways and I'll be able to get a better reading on distances come next week. 

As far as Gen4 and Proto fairways go, I like the feel and performance of the Gen4 better. The Proto 3 seemed to spin more and balls speeds were off compared to my gamer Ping G410 3F LST and G400 5F. The Gen4 3&5 feel better and hotter off the face IMO. I just put in VA Composite Drago into both PXGs which will make for a better 1 to 1 comparison to the Pings.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, evoviiiyou said:

For me, this is why I returned my Gen4X driver after a round and several long range sessions when compared to my Proto+ with a heavier weight in the toe (and my SIM2MAX hot melted toe side).  Even when I opened up the loft sleeve, was getting a flight that was more push draw to straight draw and a couple loose hooks.  In hind sight the fair thing to have done was get the Gen4 X toe hot melted to have a fair comparison. Glad I did return it as even with the restocking fee the cash back was still greater than last weeks phone in promotion...

Not sure on the fairway.  In my 0211 3wood fit, I hit every model and a few shaft combos. The Proto and Gen4 were great and I could game either (or the 0211) off the tee, but the numbers off the turf is where the 0211 separated itself.  For this my fitter kept the heavy weight center to keep the spin down as we needed this. I didn't have a chance to experiment with the heavier weight in the toe of the Proto.  

I have gamed and have a Proto 5 wood that has the heaviest weight in the center, with a 5 gram toe weight (mainly for feel) which I love tuned to the big - loft sleeve setting. 

Conclusion: for me the driver toe weight is essential for my feels and getting that consistent strike and flight pattern I like to see. For the fairways, I think its less of an issue for me for whatever reason (shorter shaft, lie angle, feel)...just doesn't really matter here for me.

Thanks for those comments!  On my initial session with the Proto 5W, I am not far off of you - I went small minus and 15g up front and have 2.5g in the heel and toe, but did mess with various combos of 5g toe and less up front.  I am hoping the small minus helps with the spin.  I want to see how the Proto 5W gets the ball up out of the grass versus the Gen2.  I play 9 holes tonight and will check it out on maybe ¾ shots - then I will hit the GC Quad again and see what I come up with.

Thanks again!

• Like 2

Wow - not whine too much, but... I ordered the Gen4 X driver on the 16th and it was supposed to be delivered today.  FedEx always takes 2 days to leave Phoenix, but this time it never got a departure scan as to leaving Phoenix - I figured that was just a goof but it left.  I called today and apparently it may be sitting in Phoenix.  They said they would "expedite" delivery, but I am guessing I am not seeing that thing until after Monday.  Bummer since I am playing Sunday and Monday - figures.  This is right out of the book "How to torment a club ho" 🙂  Ho ho ho

• Haha 2

Playing 54 over the next 2 days with the Gen 4 0811X (if it makes it all 54).  I had bought the Gen 4 XF and returned it.  Just didn't perform.  I have a 0811X Gen 2 right now that beats out every driver Ive tried.  Hoping for good results on the Gen 4!  I have the proto 3 wood and plan on getting some new hybrids and a new 7 wood.  If gen 4 goes well, Ill probably go that route.  If it doesn't, probably buy the proto hybrids and 7 wood since I like the 3 wood.  Ill post a review Tuesday

• Like 2

On 5/27/2021 at 2:16 PM, ajlacombe said:

Thanks for those comments!  On my initial session with the Proto 5W, I am not far off of you - I went small minus and 15g up front and have 2.5g in the heel and toe, but did mess with various combos of 5g toe and less up front.  I am hoping the small minus helps with the spin.  I want to see how the Proto 5W gets the ball up out of the grass versus the Gen2.  I play 9 holes tonight and will check it out on maybe ¾ shots - then I will hit the GC Quad again and see what I come up with.

Thanks again!

I did use the Proto 5W last night and it was pretty impressive - versus the Gen2 5W - the proto is WAY easier to get in the air and it is pretty damned straight.  It is not foolproof though.  I was 1 under going into #9 and did not finish the swing with it off 9 tee (par 4) and hit one way right causing a chip out and subsequent bogey.  I was really happy with the Proto 5W - my Gen 2s are on the permanent DL 🙂 

• Like 1

Just left my fitting at an outdoor fitting with trackman at my local course. Shot out to Mike Fox, great to work with. The Gen4 driver felt a little better than the Proto I have been playing. Did I see much improvement...not sure. Did not hit my current driver on Trackman because he was pretty busy and it was 100 degrees and hot. I used my current shaft (AD IZ) in the driver and did well. He fit me in to the Tensei Pro White (been fit for that shaft in the Gen2 driver a couple years ago). It did bring the spin down nicely. Can say the crown did not bother me much and maybe liked it a little.

The fitter kept mentioning the issue with the limited flight range balls. Does Trackman pick up on that? Some seemed spinny at times and he said that balls can make a difference. I was hitting the Gen4 X with the Pro White pretty well. Enough to change right now? Probably not.

LOVED the Proto hybrid and Gen3 P irons with the Elevate 95. Felt great. But, my OG 0211 irons still felt great with the Elevate Tour and performed well against those. Not sure what to do at this point. Gen3 P's may be the purchase with the new prices.

Good time though and glad PXG did this free fitting for people.

• Like 1

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

Not trying to discourage Gen4 driver purchases, but I played mine for a couple of rounds side by side with my Sim2 Max and the results weren’t even close. The PXG was far too draw biased for me. The Proto was easier to dial that out with the toe weight, but I could never find a setting that worked well for me with the Gen4. Oh well, couldn’t pass up giving it a try for the price!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OspreyCI said:

Just left my fitting at an outdoor fitting with trackman at my local course. Shot out to Mike Fox, great to work with. The Gen4 driver felt a little better than the Proto I have been playing. Did I see much improvement...not sure. Did not hit my current driver on Trackman because he was pretty busy and it was 100 degrees and hot. I used my current shaft (AD IZ) in the driver and did well. He fit me in to the Tensei Pro White (been fit for that shaft in the Gen2 driver a couple years ago). It did bring the spin down nicely. Can say the crown did not bother me much and maybe liked it a little.

The fitter kept mentioning the issue with the limited flight range balls. Does Trackman pick up on that? Some seemed spinny at times and he said that balls can make a difference. I was hitting the Gen4 X with the Pro White pretty well. Enough to change right now? Probably not.

LOVED the Proto hybrid and Gen3 P irons with the Elevate 95. Felt great. But, my OG 0211 irons still felt great with the Elevate Tour and performed well against those. Not sure what to do at this point. Gen3 P's may be the purchase with the new prices.

I say stay with Proto and get the Gen3irons. You will be happy 😃 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, soxflyer80 said:

Not trying to discourage Gen4 driver purchases, but I played mine for a couple of rounds side by side with my Sim2 Max and the results weren’t even close. The PXG was far too draw biased for me. The Proto was easier to dial that out with the toe weight, but I could never find a setting that worked well for me with the Gen4. Oh well, couldn’t pass up giving it a try for the price!

I felt this as well during might very short stint with Gen4X driver. If I get a Gen4 it’s going to be an XF with toe hot melt. It’s great seeing all the reviews for sure. Keep em coming. 

5 minutes ago, evoviiiyou said:

I say stay with Proto and get the Gen3irons. You will be happy 😃 

I am with you…Thanks brother. 

• Like 2

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

I really want the Gen3 irons bad too…just can’t pull the trigger. If they were to drop even a little more that would be my tipping point 😅

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, eddiebigeddie said:

I really want the Gen3 irons bad too…just can’t pull the trigger. If they were to drop even a little more that would be my tipping point 😅

I just can’t decide between the Elevate Tour and Elevate 95. 95 seemed much higher in the Gen3 GW I just picked up. Did find the center of the face more on the 7 iron Gen3 95 vs my 0211 Elevate Tour. 

Easy choice right. …

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

Easy choice for me…Yes 😜. I would go with the Tour in X as I have those in my OG 0211’s. Plus I need the weight to help keep my swing in check 

1 hour ago, OspreyCI said:

I am with you…Thanks brother. 

Thanks for the comments on your fitting.  I Have the Gen3 P irons with the Elevate 95 shafts and really like them.  I have the Elevate Tours in my wedges and am very accurate with both of them

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ajlacombe said:

Thanks for the comments on your fitting.  I Have the Gen3 P irons with the Elevate 95 shafts and really like them.  I have the Elevate Tours in my wedges and am very accurate with both of them

Oh man… making it easy on me. Thanks man. 

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

3 minutes ago, OspreyCI said:

Oh man… making it easy on me. Thanks man. 

The thing that the Elevate 95s did for me was allow me to feel the club head - that is big for me because I swing more smoothly when I can feel the clubhead.  The Gen3s  are a little longer than my Gen2s with the Modus 105s - the shaft feel is very different between those, but I can swing either one.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, OspreyCI said:

I just can’t decide between the Elevate Tour and Elevate 95. 95 seemed much higher in the Gen3 GW I just picked up. Did find the center of the face more on the 7 iron Gen3 95 vs my 0211 Elevate Tour. 

Easy choice right. …

Easy peasy lemon...get the Elevate 95 in the irons and then the Tours in the GW down. With the money you save get that new PXG camo blue stand bag 😂 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, OspreyCI said:

Did you hit the gen 4 hybrids?

12 minutes ago, InsuranceGuy89 said:

Did you hit the gen 4 hybrids?

No I did not. The fitter was very busy today. I had a focus on what I wanted to hit and it went well. 

One guy asked for a full bag fitting. Mind you this fitter was busy and it was 100 degrees outside. The fitter kinda laughed at the guy.. not ideal to a full bag fitting in this heat. I know I was spent. 

• Like 1

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

Ok so I tried the Gen 4. Hated it. Just wanted to go left and didn’t enjoy the sound. I liked my gen 2 so much better. I had the Proto + before and had some really good results but the misses were really bad. May try and get that back and mess with the weights a bit. Very disappointed Gen 4 didn’t work out. Probably will roll with the whole proto line now 

• Like 1

On 5/28/2021 at 8:37 PM, evoviiiyou said:

I felt this as well during might very short stint with Gen4X driver. If I get a Gen4 it’s going to be an XF with toe hot melt. It’s great seeing all the reviews for sure. Keep em coming. 

I did not see this I guess on the first go 'round.  Why the XF with the hot melt instead of the X?  Just a ho wondering why 🙂

Update on my Gen4 driver FedEx saga.  They said they would expedite the driver shipment if they could find it, and instead they delivered an order with headcovers/towel/ball marker today.  I think they are torturing me on purpose 🙂 The driver apparently was found and is now in Indianapolis and to be delivered on Tuesday.  Oh well - FedEx sux IMO 🙂