PXG Gen 4 prototype drivers - new putters

pga43

On 6/6/2021 at 6:38 PM, OspreyCI said:

Congratulations on the son doing so well. That’s awesome man. Nothing better than times with the boy when they are young. Enjoy man. Good job on your part too. 

Let us know how the Gen4 comes along. I am switching shafts to help dial my Proto+ in. Bad round with it Sat. Switching to a Tensei Pro White that I was fit into last week at an outdoor PXG fitting. Used the Gen4 X head and this reduced my spin by a mile. This is what two different PXG fitters wanted me, the Pro White. Can’t hurt right?? 

I suspect you are going to love the Tensei Pro White! Similar handle profile to your previous gamer and more stable all the way down the rest of the shaft. Should be a match made in heaven. Just remember if you want a little more ball height, tee it up a touch higher and you can always move that heavy weight around and even back for fine tuning. Should fit your Bridgestone ball perfectly too 🤙

let us know how it goes 

Edited by evoviiiyou
spelling
  • Thanks 1

PXG GEN6 0311 10.5*DRIVER/FUJI RED VELOCORE 6S/GP TW WHT

PXG GEN5 0311XF 17*FAIRWAY/FUJI MOTORE X F3 7S/GP TW WHT

PXG GEN3 0311XP 3 IRON/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG GEN3 0311P 4-PW/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG GEN4 0311P GW/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG SD II WEDGES/56/13&62/10/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/GP TW BLK

MACHINE M2A 1018RAW CS PUTTER/ACCRA I-STEEL/SS FLAT 1.0

11 minutes ago, evoviiiyou said:

I suspect you are going to love the Tensei Pro White! Similar handle profile to your previous gamer and more stable all the way down the rest of the shaft. Should be a match made in heaven. Just remember if you want a little more ball height, tee it up a touch higher and you. Am alway move that heavy weight around and even back for fine tuning. Should fit your Bridgestone ball perfectly too 🤙

let us know how it goes 

Thanks man. I will be back to 44.5 which I like and already added a 5 gram to the back weight. Hoping she comes out at D5. This shaft will allow to stop steering and just swing hard and not worry. Had good experience with it in the Gen2 driver. If two different fitters same the same thing I should listen right??? 

The Bridgestone BX is a unicorn ball for me. Does everything perfect and should be good even with the lower launch. 

• Like 1

Mizuno ST-Z 230 9.5 Diamana T+ 60s
Mizuno ST-Z 15* Diamana T+ 60s 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

So had my first RANGE shootout last night. Cobra Radspeed XB 10.5d with Hzrdus Smoke Greens 60s (45.75”) vs PXG GEN4 0811x 10.5 with Hzrdus Smoke Green 60s (45”) and also hit a few at the end with Diamana Limited 60s stock shaft (45.5”).  Score system 1 best, 2 second, etc.

Feel/Sound: This is an unusual one for me, as the PXG feel/sound is just so good, but the Cobra also has that “spot” where when you get it everyone knows you’ve got it and feel/sound is close to PXG. Score Pxg 1, Cobra 1.5

Forgiveness: Pxg for me just wants to go straight or I can play a slight cut, hard for it to go left besides just a pull. Cobra was kinda the opposite…wants to go straight or a toe miss wants to play a draw/border hook depending how bad toeside. To me the draw/hook is a nightmare as I’ve always played a straight shot or a cut…but I did learn how to hit a nice draw tinkering last night so there’s that 😬😂. Comparing center strikes forgiveness = even, toe side = Pxg, Heel = Cobra….overall = depends on course I’m playing and strike pattern that given day, but my pattern is usually center or ball towards toe side, so given that it would be a tie…but if I miss 1.5 balls toe side then Pxg gets the nod. 
Distance: this is another that’s hard for me as they both produce very penetrating flights and can get out there when centered. Hit one low with the Pxg and it lost distance for me, Cobra low and it gets out there a little more then the Pxg.  High on face and again it’s near identical distances. Score Cobra 1, PXG 1.5

Looks: They’re both very cool the Stealthy Pxg with “silver” top “aid” and the Pvd Smoke green looks very Nasty (Mean Hulk), where my Masters XB with White Clubhead, green accessory on it and the Pvd Smoke Green looks very clean (Nice Hulk). Score again = tie. 
So having said all that, next up course time to hit real balls that actually travel as my local course has absolute JUNK balls at the range and your lucky if you find 10 balls to hit out of a large bucket. In conclusion it looks like I have 2 very very good drivers that I’ll be able swap in and out at any given moment and produce great results!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Driver:  MIZUNO ST-G 440 (9.5d) - Lin-Q Red 60s

Fwy:  MIZUNO ST-G Titanium 3w (15) - Lin-Q Red 60s

Fwy:  COBRA F6 Baffler (19) - Hzrdus Red 75/6.0
Hybrid:  COBRA F7 Hybrid (22) - Tour Blue 85s

Iron:  MIZUNO Pro 245 (5 - G) - Recoil Proto 125 F4
Wedge:  MIZUNO T24 Denim Copper (54/10) - Recoil Wedge Proto F4     
Wedge:  TAYLORMADE Hi-Toe Copper (60/10) - Recoil Wedge Proto F4

Putter:  LAJOSI DD201 Copper Flow or MANNKRAFTED MA-55 Flow
Bag:  BENNINGTON LQO-9 Stand Bag or Ogio Silencer Cart

2 hours ago, eddiebigeddie said:

So had my first RANGE shootout last night. Cobra Radspeed XB 10.5d with Hzrdus Smoke Greens 60s (45.75”) vs PXG GEN4 0811x 10.5 with Hzrdus Smoke Green 60s (45”) and also hit a few at the end with Diamana Limited 60s stock shaft (45.5”).  Score system 1 best, 2 second, etc.

Feel/Sound: This is an unusual one for me, as the PXG feel/sound is just so good, but the Cobra also has that “spot” where when you get it everyone knows you’ve got it and feel/sound is close to PXG. Score Pxg 1, Cobra 1.5

Forgiveness: Pxg for me just wants to go straight or I can play a slight cut, hard for it to go left besides just a pull. Cobra was kinda the opposite…wants to go straight or a toe miss wants to play a draw/border hook depending how bad toeside. To me the draw/hook is a nightmare as I’ve always played a straight shot or a cut…but I did learn how to hit a nice draw tinkering last night so there’s that 😬😂. Comparing center strikes forgiveness = even, toe side = Pxg, Heel = Cobra….overall = depends on course I’m playing and strike pattern that given day, but my pattern is usually center or ball towards toe side, so given that it would be a tie…but if I miss 1.5 balls toe side then Pxg gets the nod. 
Distance: this is another that’s hard for me as they both produce very penetrating flights and can get out there when centered. Hit one low with the Pxg and it lost distance for me, Cobra low and it gets out there a little more then the Pxg.  High on face and again it’s near identical distances. Score Cobra 1, PXG 1.5

Looks: They’re both very cool the Stealthy Pxg with “silver” top “aid” and the Pvd Smoke green looks very Nasty (Mean Hulk), where my Masters XB with White Clubhead, green accessory on it and the Pvd Smoke Green looks very clean (Nice Hulk). Score again = tie. 
So having said all that, next up course time to hit real balls that actually travel as my local course has absolute JUNK balls at the range and your lucky if you find 10 balls to hit out of a large bucket. In conclusion it looks like I have 2 very very good drivers that I’ll be able swap in and out at any given moment and produce great results!

Great review Eddie. Good shootout you have there.

I will say when I demo'd the Gen4 x outside I was seeing a nice cut with it too. It look the left side out for me. Makes me think I won't miss the toe weight vs my Proto. I actually have the heavy weight in the toe in the Proto to make it cut just a taste like the Gen4. 

Look forward to your on course review.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

1 hour ago, OspreyCI said:

I will say when I demo'd the Gen4 x outside I was seeing a nice cut with it too. It look the left side out for me. Makes me think I won't miss the toe weight vs my Proto. I actually have the heavy weight in the toe in the Proto to make it cut just a taste like the Gen4. 

I have seen the same thing with the Gen4 X - I was wondering if they did that with the design versus the Proto X.  To my eye the Gen4 X seems to have more club towards the toe to put more mass out there and they dial back from a fade biased club - that is the only thing that would make sense if they eliminated the toe weight.

Keep the great reviews coming.

• Like 2

PXG Gen 5 0311 9º, Kai'li Blue, Titleist TSr3, 9º, Ventus Blue

Titleist TSr2, 15º fw, GD Tour AD IZ

Titleist TSr2, 20º fw, GD Tour AD IZ

Titleist TSi2, 21º Hy, GD Tour AD IZ

Titleist TSi2, 24º Hy, GD Tour AD IZ

Titleist T150 6-48º Tensei AV Blue AM2

Vokey SM9 54º, 60º, Tensei AV Blue AM2

L.A.B. Golf DF3, MEZZ.1 Max reg & Broom,  MEZZ.1, DF 2.1 Reg & Broom

No room to list Bench Warmers 🙂

1 hour ago, OspreyCI said:

My cut was coming mostly from a heel side of center strike, other then that it really wanted to go straight. I tried my little draw experiment with it and although it did work it wasn’t near what the cobra was. Which honestly is fine. You guys have to remember too, both drivers are almost set up opposite (at least from factory), the Pxg has heavy weight forward and light in other spots while the Cobra has heavy stationary weight back. But both are very forgiving!

• Like 2

When I had the Gen 4 X and XF, my miss was definitely left.  Didnt really ever go right.  When I had the proto for a brief stint, same thing but I have the weight kit now so when that proto comes in, Im going to mess with that toe weight.  I still think Gen 2 feels way better than the Gen 4 as well.  I really wanted the Gen 4 to work too

Finally got the Gen4 X on the range and 9 holes today and was lucky enough to snap a Big E photo prior to the onset of my OCD. Still dialing in shaft and head weight combo. Had 20 up front with 2.5 in the heal and back at 44.5". Performed excellent, no lefties, just straight rockets with a little baby draw. Going to take my time finding the right shaft/weight combo in both my X & XT over the next month or so I can finalize the order of my stable. This is going to be fun!!!

20210608_090442.jpg

• Like 4

2 hours ago, snagy2000 said:

Finally got the Gen4 X on the range and 9 holes today and was lucky enough to snap a Big E photo prior to the onset of my OCD. Still dialing in shaft and head weight combo. Had 20 up front with 2.5 in the heal and back at 44.5". Performed excellent, no lefties, just straight rockets with a little baby draw. Going to take my time finding the right shaft/weight combo in both my X & XT over the next month or so I can finalize the order of my stable. This is going to be fun!!!

20210608_090442.jpg

Wow! Solid strikes man. You are guys are killing me with these photos and how solid you guys hit it. Congrats. Going to cost me some cash soon.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

2 hours ago, OspreyCI said:

Wow! Solid strikes man. You are guys are killing me with these photos and how solid you guys hit it. Congrats. Going to cost me some cash soon.

I concur! Very nice on those strikes.  From memory your pattern is exactly where the Gen4X was at its best for me at 44.5" as well with 17.5 front 5 back and 2.5 heel. Nice work! 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, evoviiiyou said:

I concur! Very nice on those strikes.  From memory your pattern is exactly where the Gen4X was at its best for me at 44.5" as well with 17.5 front 5 back and 2.5 heel. Nice work! 

I am going back to 44.5 with my new shaft in the Proto. Done with 45" experiment.

• Like 1

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

Another back yard session tonight…need some time off to go to the course 🥴

Just wanted to post some pics for Snaggy and his ocd 😳😬, don’t worry my routine is 5 balls, wipe clean and move to the next club. 

52CC8250-6729-4B3E-B85E-8F0FA9B4C54F.jpeg

9B47871E-87A5-4C2B-99EB-FFCF30DDD67A.jpeg

ADA0B8F3-BCC5-48B9-ABFD-F6A1040AA809.jpeg

16150421-A34C-4722-807E-E8BD5DEFD179.jpeg

• Like 3

I love the milling on the Radspeed driver face! Great striking brother! I think I am going to get another Gen4...maybe XF...thanks to you guys lol

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, eddiebigeddie said:

Another back yard session tonight…need some time off to go to the course 🥴

Just wanted to post some pics for Snaggy and his ocd 😳😬, don’t worry my routine is 5 balls, wipe clean and move to the next club. 

52CC8250-6729-4B3E-B85E-8F0FA9B4C54F.jpeg

9B47871E-87A5-4C2B-99EB-FFCF30DDD67A.jpeg

ADA0B8F3-BCC5-48B9-ABFD-F6A1040AA809.jpeg

16150421-A34C-4722-807E-E8BD5DEFD179.jpeg

LOL, Thx!...Its a hell of a thing to have...Been battling it all my life, just got use to it as a teenager when I purchased an Ozzy cassette tape and had to shift a hundred or so cassettes to the right in my wall holder so it would fit perfectly in place alphabetically...For those not familiar with cassettes, those were post 8-track tapes and pre-Cds...The only clouds were those in the sky....Taking the XT out for a short hunt tomorrow on drier fairways...

Edited by snagy2000
  • Haha 2

Thanks guys. And yeah Evo the Cobra face milling is really cool and the infinity face helps too (had 1-2) I should have put dummy marks with and it saved me. Meant to post the top pics to show Good vs Evil Hulk…

38EB6A71-2B6B-4E55-AA9F-FE09D6959C85.jpeg

051230BC-E1F4-409C-93B6-ECE30D95F2C5.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I received my gen4 x today, and obviously took it straight to the course. I hit 4 out of 5 fairways. The one thing I noticed about it, (coming from the proto), is it’s not near as fade biased as the proto x. I do have the proto set up to d5 swing weight so it’s a bit heavier than the gen4 x at stock weight. And I have a hzrdus yellow in the proto and a diamana in the gen4. I was finding the left side of fairways but the right side was completely out of play. Hopefully changing the weights will do the trick. Do any of you guys find the proto more fade biased or not. 

13 hours ago, Aucaveman said:

I received my gen4 x today, and obviously took it straight to the course. I hit 4 out of 5 fairways. The one thing I noticed about it, (coming from the proto), is it’s not near as fade biased as the proto x. I do have the proto set up to d5 swing weight so it’s a bit heavier than the gen4 x at stock weight. And I have a hzrdus yellow in the proto and a diamana in the gen4. I was finding the left side of fairways but the right side was completely out of play. Hopefully changing the weights will do the trick. Do any of you guys find the proto more fade biased or not. 

FWIW-Get the Gen4 up to the swing weight you like that generates the trajectory you like. The lefts may have some to do with the Diamana S+ Gen2 Limited shaft being more mid soft than the Hzrdus Yellow. After the weights are proper, throw that Yellow on the Gen4. It’s probable the lighter weight and the lack of feeling where the face is In the take away and at the top, causing a little more closure and the S+ is kicking harder like it was designed to do. Face closing with lots of lead deflection causing the ball to find the left side more readily. Also, you have the loft sleeve to make the head not only sit a little open with the - settings but also make the lie flatter which will also aid in neutralizing the left ball flight if you don’t like that. If you do then get the SW where you like her and call it even. 

I remember the Gen4X being a really straight ball head at 10.5 turned down to little minus compared to my Proto+. Definitely not draw biased at all. Just mid flight straight balls…definitely lower trajectory than the Proto+. 

Edited by evoviiiyou
spelling
  • Like 1

Good 9 (35) with the XT today. Looks great at address, after first swing and a few more warming up. Will say this, when nutted it is LONG, but the forgiveness is not on par with Proto X or Gen4 X.  This is to be expected, but it's not a deal breaker IMO. I was able to play a little baby draw, straight and a slight cut. For me, cutters are hard with the X. 15g up front and 2.5g in heel/back. Slim profile makes teeing ball down key. 

20210610_090814.jpg

20210610_090926.jpg

20210610_091259.jpg

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, snagy2000 said:

Good 9 (35) with the XT today. Looks great at address, after first swing and a few more warming up. Will say this, when nutted it is LONG, but the forgiveness is not on par with Proto X or Gen4 X.  This is to be expected, but it's not a deal breaker IMO. I was able to play a little baby draw, straight and a slight cut. For me, cutters are hard with the X. 15g up front and 2.5g in heel/back. Slim profile makes teeing ball down key. 

20210610_090814.jpg

20210610_090926.jpg

20210610_091259.jpg

Good ball striking especially with that head. 

On 6/5/2021 at 6:35 AM, ajlacombe said:

I second the very good on the Forged Wedges - they have been awesome for me.  I can also say that the milled wedges are super great feeling.  I have a set I need to get rid of due to shaft weight.

IMG_2346D.jpeg

Need to get rid of?? im listening...... 

those look awesome btw

TM Qi10 9* ... KBS TD Serape 60x

TM Stealth 2+ 4w ... KBS TD Rainbow 70x

TM Stealth 2+ 6w*... KBS TD Rainbow 80x

Titleist 5h 23* C1 ... KBS Proto 105 S+

Mizuno Pro 243 5 - P ... KBS TGI 110

TM MG4 50 S, 56 LB, 60 TW... KBS $-Taper 130x

Greyson x Bettinardi SS3 and QB6

TaylorMade TP5x

2 hours ago, snagy2000 said:

20210610_090814.jpg

20210610_090926.jpg

20210610_091259.jpg

More Stripe Shows!! These divots yours too? Not invited to our money game....Awesome man.

• Haha 1

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

6 minutes ago, OspreyCI said:

More Stripe Shows!! These divots yours too? Not invited to our money game....Awesome man.

I hope those aren’t his driver divots 😳😂😂

just picking! 😬

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, OspreyCI said:

Mostly, except for the scatter marks...Those are not OCD approved...Just give me four a side, no worries!... Remember, I'm just an old man trying to keep up with you youngins'...

Sound off the XT isn't the same wooden baseball bat sound, but it's not bad either...Gen4 IMO is a great lineup for every type of golfer...

• Haha 2

Side note - I love this little trend of the driver faces that show the ball marks. The TSi3 leaves a crystal clear ball mark just like this PXG does. Wipes clean with a wet towel and leaves no doubt about the strike!

IMG_4965.jpeg

Edited by The Mad Bomber

Titleist TSi3 8º - LAGP DJ 65-6
Titleist TSi3 15º - LAGP TourAxs Blue 
Mizuno Pro 225 2i - C-TaperL
Mizuno Pro 245  5-GW C-Taper 
Mizuno T22  52º, 56º, 60º C-Taper

Scotty Special Select Newport 2 
Titleist Left Dash -ProV1x

I have to say the Gen4 X is growing on me as just a straight driver that I can hit either way.  I am going to try and find a shaft that can help bring spin down a tad (fitting on the 22nd), but overall I really like the club.  Others have said off center hits really affect distance and I have not found that to be the case.

I also swapped back to the Gen2 FWs - the protos ARE super easy to get airborne, because they spin too much - I am also experimenting with shafts for them as well.  Great strike ability but at the price of 20-30 yards.

On another note - PXGs inability to send out accessory orders in under 6 days is incredible.  I just ordered some stuff that included a 4th of July Mallet putter cover and it took 13 days to get to me, and had a Blade putter cover instead of the Mallet I ordered.  They said they would ship the correct one as soon as I had shipped the old one back with FedEx.  I ended up asking for a refund since I did not want to wait another 2 weeks and was really pissed they did not send out the correct cover as soon as I told them they goofed.  They end up pissing off customers over the dumbest things, it is amazing that you would do that.

PXG Gen 5 0311 9º, Kai'li Blue, Titleist TSr3, 9º, Ventus Blue

Titleist TSr2, 15º fw, GD Tour AD IZ

Titleist TSr2, 20º fw, GD Tour AD IZ

Titleist TSi2, 21º Hy, GD Tour AD IZ

Titleist TSi2, 24º Hy, GD Tour AD IZ

Titleist T150 6-48º Tensei AV Blue AM2

Vokey SM9 54º, 60º, Tensei AV Blue AM2

L.A.B. Golf DF3, MEZZ.1 Max reg & Broom,  MEZZ.1, DF 2.1 Reg & Broom

No room to list Bench Warmers 🙂

2 hours ago, ajlacombe said:

I have to say the Gen4 X is growing on me as just a straight driver that I can hit either way.  I am going to try and find a shaft that can help bring spin down a tad (fitting on the 22nd), but overall I really like the club.  Others have said off center hits really affect distance and I have not found that to be the case.

I also swapped back to the Gen2 FWs - the protos ARE super easy to get airborne, because they spin too much - I am also experimenting with shafts for them as well.  Great strike ability but at the price of 20-30 yards.

On another note - PXGs inability to send out accessory orders in under 6 days is incredible.  I just ordered some stuff that included a 4th of July Mallet putter cover and it took 13 days to get to me, and had a Blade putter cover instead of the Mallet I ordered.  They said they would ship the correct one as soon as I had shipped the old one back with FedEx.  I ended up asking for a refund since I did not want to wait another 2 weeks and was really pissed they did not send out the correct cover as soon as I told them they goofed.  They end up pissing off customers over the dumbest things, it is amazing that you would do that.

Bummer about the customer service you have been experiencing. 

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

3 hours ago, ajlacombe said:

It's easier for service people to say no,  instead of yes. Boggles the mind at times. Big picture, it doesn't matter if they do what most of us ask them to do. However, they're trained not to go off script and don't realize they're endangering future business by sticking to it. Really frustrating until you find the one who can say yes.