2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

PXG Gen 4 prototype drivers - new putters

pga43

Is the $295 sale not live yet on their website or do you need to call in to get it? Also, did anyone see when the PXG account uploaded a bunch of videos on YouTube about their Battle Ready putters they had a video of the unreleased Blackhawk putter? Saw them upload it twice and then delete the video. 

Cobra LTDx  (8*) AutoFlex 505

PXG Gen 6 3 Wood (15*)

PXG Gen 6 (18*)

PXG Gen 6 4 hybrid (22*)

Cobra Aerojet OL (5-SW)
Cobra Snakebite 58*

Lajosi Custom LP808

12 minutes ago, Meanbeav77 said:

Is the $295 sale not live yet on their website or do you need to call in to get it? Also, did anyone see when the PXG account uploaded a bunch of videos on YouTube about their Battle Ready putters they had a video of the unreleased Blackhawk putter? Saw them upload it twice and then delete the video. 

Call in only for the $295 deal. 

• Like 1

On 5/21/2021 at 1:57 PM, ayc25 said:

Bunch of price drops on PXG website. Gen 3 irons down to $159 ($139 for Hero), Gen 2 irons down to $119 ($109 for Hero), etc.

Ordered a Gen3 Gap Wedge yesterday before the price drop. They called me today and gave me a $40 refund in my CC. Good customer service right there.

She said the price drop happened literally 1 minute after I hung up with her yesterday. That’s what I get for ordering at 6am. Haha. 

• Like 2

Mizuno ST-Z 230 9.5 Diamana T+ 60s
Mizuno ST-Z 15* Diamana T+ 60s 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

I bought a gen 4 0811X.  Arrived Friday, used Saturday no range time.  I preface this by saying I'm old and not that long a hitter.

220-230 is good-looking but I can be wild.  I hit 3 or 4 240,250. I would not believe it if not for seeing it myself.

I have a 12.5 in the back and 2.5  in front and right.

I had one drive push, one leaked slightly right, the rest were VERY VERY pleasantly straight, almost impossibly straight.

So, if I add say a 10 in front and leave the other two alone what happens?. Or if I put a 15 or 20 in the back?

I have set up 1 notch over the standard 9 degree.

Thanks

23 minutes ago, jaw2k9 said:

I bought a gen 4 0811X.  Arrived Friday, used Saturday no range time.  I preface this by saying I'm old and not that long a hitter.

220-230 is good-looking but I can be wild.  I hit 3 or 4 240,250. I would not believe it if not for seeing it myself.

I have a 12.5 in the back and 2.5  in front and right.

I had one drive push, one leaked slightly right, the rest were VERY VERY pleasantly straight, almost impossibly straight.

So, if I add say a 10 in front and leave the other two alone what happens?. Or if I put a 15 or 20 in the back?

I have set up 1 notch over the standard 9 degree.

Thanks

Thanks for the review - I would say if you add 10 extra grams you will slow your swing down and lose yardage.  Mine is in production - hoping to have it soon but FedEx takes 2 days to leave Phoenix and then 3-5 more to get to Cincinnati 🙂  I will do an in=depth messing around once I get it - comparing the Proto, Proto+ and Gen 4 X - all with the same shaft - the first two are pretty well dialed, so it will be interesting to see what the G4 can do.  Then I plan to hit the fitter to see what another shaft can do.

• Like 1

PXG Gen 5 0311 9º, Kai'li Blue, Titleist TSr3, 9º, Ventus Blue

Titleist TSr2, 15º fw, GD Tour AD IZ

Titleist TSr2, 20º fw, GD Tour AD IZ

Titleist TSi2, 21º Hy, GD Tour AD IZ

Titleist TSi2, 24º Hy, GD Tour AD IZ

Titleist T150 6-48º Tensei AV Blue AM2

Vokey SM9 54º, 60º, Tensei AV Blue AM2

L.A.B. Golf DF3, MEZZ.1 Max reg & Broom,  MEZZ.1, DF 2.1 Reg & Broom

No room to list Bench Warmers 🙂

So I was a huge fan of the Proto 0811x driver and Ventus Blue combo I had up until a week ago sold it (found an even better head/shaft combo)…but literally 2 days after selling mine I heard about the Gen 4 call in deal so jumped on that because it was same price as I sold my Proto head for 😬.  And to top it all off I had found another shaft like I’m playing in new driver…so Wednesday when Gen4 gets here (fingers crossed) there’s gonna be a good battle between my Cobra Radspeed XB/Hzrdus Smoke Green and the Gen4 0811x/Hzrdus Smoke Green 😎

• Like 3

Driver:  MIZUNO ST-G 440 (9.5d) - Lin-Q Red 60s

Fwy:  MIZUNO ST-G Titanium 3w (15) - Lin-Q Red 60s

Fwy:  COBRA F6 Baffler (19) - Hzrdus Red 75/6.0
Hybrid:  COBRA F7 Hybrid (22) - Tour Blue 85s

Iron:  MIZUNO Pro 245 (5 - G) - Recoil Proto 125 F4
Wedge:  MIZUNO T24 Denim Copper (54/10) - Recoil Wedge Proto F4     
Wedge:  TAYLORMADE Hi-Toe Copper (60/10) - Recoil Wedge Proto F4

Putter:  LAJOSI DD201 Copper Flow or MANNKRAFTED MA-55 Flow
Bag:  BENNINGTON LQO-9 Stand Bag or Ogio Silencer Cart

On 5/16/2021 at 8:58 PM, ajlacombe said:

Damn - this club ho just ordered a Gen4 0811X with the same shaft I have in the Proto and Proto+ (Evenflow Riptide CB50S) and then have a fitting to check out other shafts.  That price is too low to pass up since I can sell it for more than that for sure if it does not work out

I think youll be very happy with the Gen 4.... I can say when I got the Proto in September that it was the best driver combo ive ever played. My accuracy and distance increased big time and the forgiveness has been unexpectedly great

I picked up a Get 4 X 7.5* head and I love everything about it over the Proto. I got a good deal on eBay for it and was the only Get 4 product so I made sure to not lose the auction (before I was even aware of this $295 call in special). I added weight to the head bc of my Tensei Pro Orange and even at 7.5* I find it keeps the ball online even better than the Proto. For whatever reason I made center contact easier and more consistently with the Gen 4. The feel and sound is amazing. And in person I really love the aluminum crown. I didnt find it distracting at all

I put a 15g weight in the back of the head and had a very small baby fade all day. Low penetrating flight that gets out there in a hurry. I know the 7.5* isn't optimal for numbers and my swing but it worked so good from the first range swing to my round Saturday hitting 11 fairways

• Like 2

TM Qi10 9* ... KBS TD Serape 60x

TM Stealth 2+ 4w ... KBS TD Rainbow 70x

TM Stealth 2+ 6w*... KBS TD Rainbow 80x

Titleist 5h 23* C1 ... KBS Proto 105 S+

Mizuno Pro 243 5 - P ... KBS TGI 110

TM MG4 50 S, 56 LB, 60 TW... KBS $-Taper 130x

Greyson x Bettinardi SS3 and QB6

TaylorMade TP5x

So….a package arrived late this afternoon 😎😬.  All stock out of the box with Diamana Limited stock shaft in stiff, just had to give it a few hits before working out and getting cleaned up for a meeting here shortly. 
First impression, still like I said when seeing the pics…don’t know why they added the white lines on top of the head 🤷🏻‍♂️, but the “silver” carbon looks great behind the X logo. I like the way it sets up like that. The head appears shorter front to back then the Proto (could just be my eyes) but looks good. So I took about 12 swings into my net out back…see pic below. But feels even better then the Proto somehow and felt like it jumped off the face. Really impressed and now hate that I have to put 2 drivers into a battle against each other because honestly this is the first time where I could literally play either/both and be perfectly happy. Stayed tuned 😳😜

CC2121D9-C90A-4B94-B706-8E1611FA4025.jpeg

E3B28252-CA53-4DCF-A84D-64808CD72788.jpeg

A54D5795-EDDA-4EDC-8B3A-4A06A4AB742B.jpeg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, eddiebigeddie said:

So….a package arrived late this afternoon 😎😬.  All stock out of the box with Diamana Limited stock shaft in stiff, just had to give it a few hits before working out and getting cleaned up for a meeting here shortly. 
First impression, still like I said when seeing the pics…don’t know why they added the white lines on top of the head 🤷🏻‍♂️, but the “silver” carbon looks great behind the X logo. I like the way it sets up like that. The head appears shorter front to back then the Proto (could just be my eyes) but looks good. So I took about 12 swings into my net out back…see pic below. But feels even better then the Proto somehow and felt like it jumped off the face. Really impressed and now hate that I have to put 2 drivers into a battle against each other because honestly this is the first time where I could literally play either/both and be perfectly happy. Stayed tuned 😳😜

Very nice - looking forward to more comments.

when did you order it?  Had to be the same day as I did (16th?)  mine is 4 days out.  Seems like they use FedEx Slow for deliveries.

I ordered some of their 4th of July stuff 5 days ago and they still have not shipped - yes everything was available when I ordered.  I can not imagine taking 6 days to ship out dry goods and you can build and ship a complete custom club in the same amount of time - seems strange.

You have me ready for the driver to arrive 🙂 

2 hours ago, eddiebigeddie said:

Some nice strike locations right there! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

PXG GEN6 0311 10.5*DRIVER/FUJI RED VELOCORE 6S/GP TW WHT

PXG GEN5 0311XF 17*FAIRWAY/FUJI MOTORE X F3 7S/GP TW WHT

PXG GEN3 0311XP 3 IRON/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG GEN3 0311P 4-PW/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG GEN4 0311P GW/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG SD II WEDGES/56/13&62/10/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/GP TW BLK

MACHINE M2A 1018RAW CS PUTTER/ACCRA I-STEEL/SS FLAT 1.0

1 minute ago, evoviiiyou said:

Yea for sure… should bomb it with strikes like that. Nice job Eddie.

Of course you will let us know how it works out. 

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

3 minutes ago, ajlacombe said:

Very nice - looking forward to more comments.

when did you order it?  Had to be the same day as I did (16th?)  mine is 4 days out.  Seems like they use FedEx Slow for deliveries.

I ordered some of their 4th of July stuff 5 days ago and they still have not shipped - yes everything was available when I ordered.  I can not imagine taking 6 days to ship out dry goods and you can build and ship a complete custom club in the same amount of time - seems strange.

You have me ready for the driver to arrive 🙂 

I ordered last Monday, it was “processed” Tuesday, shipped out Thursday and delivered today. 

Just now, OspreyCI said:

Yea for sure… should bomb it with strikes like that. Nice job Eddie.

Of course you will let us know how it works out. 

3 minutes ago, evoviiiyou said:

Thanks fellas, been a long time coming with the driver but finally have that part of my game pretty consistent. And I can put it out there pretty good for a 43 yr old with a bad knee and back 😳.  On average I drive it about 270, but hit the occasional 290+ drive when I really swing it. More about strike/control anymore 

• Like 2

Just now, eddiebigeddie said:

Thanks fellas, been a long time coming with the driver but finally have that part of my game pretty consistent. And I can put it out there pretty good for a 43 yr old with a bad knee and back 😳.  On average I drive it about 270, but hit the occasional 290+ drive when I really swing it. More about strike/control anymore 

Super strong and glad it’s setting up well brother. I did find in my testing the Gen4X it loved the high center slightly toe spot a lot. Dropped spin and got launch looking very nice. Sound was amazing too with good feedback on missed shots. 290+ on a good knee and back is strong so very nicely done my man. 

• Thanks 1

PXG GEN6 0311 10.5*DRIVER/FUJI RED VELOCORE 6S/GP TW WHT

PXG GEN5 0311XF 17*FAIRWAY/FUJI MOTORE X F3 7S/GP TW WHT

PXG GEN3 0311XP 3 IRON/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG GEN3 0311P 4-PW/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG GEN4 0311P GW/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG SD II WEDGES/56/13&62/10/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/GP TW BLK

MACHINE M2A 1018RAW CS PUTTER/ACCRA I-STEEL/SS FLAT 1.0

5 minutes ago, snagy2000 said:

I got a package today as well. Now its time to put my gamer Proto X up against the Gen4 X and Gen4 XT once I'm done building my Ark. (Its rained 9 straight days and we have 1 or 2 more to go...) Here's some comparison pics.

20210524_200238.jpg

20210524_195853.jpg

20210524_195700.jpg

This is like looking in the candy store window 🙂 Damn the Gen4 X looks taller, deeper front to back and longer heel to toe than the Proto - is that accurate or an optical illusion?

Those pictures are great to see the relative position of the weights as well. The Gen4 front weight is closer to the face, and the distance between the front and back weight is longer.  The heel weight is farther back as well.  To me this is how they got rid of the toe weight - by increasing the MOI with a wider spread on their weight triangle instead of a diamond.  Yes they do not have the toe weighting ability they had but it is not as bad as it appeared 

That XT looks small - you need Big Eddie's strike pattern for that thing 🙂 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

That XT does look small, glad I didn’t think too hard about that one 😅

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ajlacombe said:

This is like looking in the candy store window 🙂 Damn the Gen4 X looks taller, deeper front to back and longer heel to toe than the Proto - is that accurate or an optical illusion?

Those pictures are great to see the relative position of the weights as well. The Gen4 front weight is closer to the face, and the distance between the front and back weight is longer.  The heel weight is farther back as well.  To me this is how they got rid of the toe weight - by increasing the MOI with a wider spread on their weight triangle instead of a diamond.  Yes they do not have the toe weighting ability they had but it is not as bad as it appeared 

That XT looks small - you need Big Eddie's strike pattern for that thing 🙂 

You're correct in regards to the Gen4 X versus the Proto X. After some quick and dirty measurements, the face is approximately 1/8" taller and wider. The head is approximately 1/4" longer and 1/8" wider. The front weight is approximately 1/4" closer to the face. The XT looks pancaked compared to both X versions, with the face approximately 1/8" smaller top to bottom and left to right compared to the Proto X.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You guys are killing me with getting the stuff y’all ordered. I did the full bag fitting 5/14 and so far only the bag and hat have shipped. The fitter told me most of it should all be delivered in or around 12 days but I haven’t really heard anything. He also said the 3 and 5 wood shaft (diamana) was back ordered 1 month. Like most on here, I didn’t need a whole new bag but with the special they had I couldn’t resist. The proto x has been a game changer and hopefully this will cure my hoeing habit. 

9 hours ago, snagy2000 said:

I got a package today as well. Now its time to put my gamer Proto X up against the Gen4 X and Gen4 XT once I'm done building my Ark. (Its rained 9 straight days and we have 1 or 2 more to go...) Here's some comparison pics.

20210524_200238.jpg

20210524_195853.jpg

20210524_195700.jpg

I'm curious about the xt...I think that head shape is more to my liking. Since all heads are the same loft, it should be a  great comparison.

At PXG Mesa store today picking something up. The Gen4 X driver looks really good in person. Better than I thought I would. I could do that crown no problem. Hybrids and fairways look good too. 

Rolled some putts with various putters. Came straight home and what do you know… bought a Gen2 Gunboat off BST from @kuch. Good man! My One & Done is Done! 

• Like 2

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

4 hours ago, OspreyCI said:

At PXG Mesa store today picking something up. The Gen4 X driver looks really good in person. Better than I thought I would. I could do that crown no problem. Hybrids and fairways look good too. 

Rolled some putts with various putters. Came straight home and what do you know… bought a Gen2 Gunboat off BST from @kuch. Good man! My One & Done is Done! 

Haha - I have stopped switching my putters and have gone with the best one for me - Gen2 Mini Gunboat.  I just make putts with it - longer putts.  Some of us hos can not go and pick our stuff up and have to wait and wait and wait 🙂

I got a Proto 5W in today and gave it a run versus my Gen2 5W - have a bruised rib, so I need more work, but the Proto seems to spin more, but is straighter.  This is on GC Quad indoors.  I could not seem to bring the backspin down like I could with the Gen2.

3 more days until Gen4 driver so we need some info from those of you that have them already

• Like 2

8 hours ago, ajlacombe said:

Haha - I have stopped switching my putters and have gone with the best one for me - Gen2 Mini Gunboat.  I just make putts with it - longer putts.  Some of us hos can not go and pick our stuff up and have to wait and wait and wait 🙂

I got a Proto 5W in today and gave it a run versus my Gen2 5W - have a bruised rib, so I need more work, but the Proto seems to spin more, but is straighter.  This is on GC Quad indoors.  I could not seem to bring the backspin down like I could with the Gen2.

3 more days until Gen4 driver so we need some info from those of you that have them already

Yes, no more switching for me. I had the GEn2 Gunboat for almst a year and know it is good. So stable.

Yes, I think the Proto's do spin a bit more, but they are just straight. Love my 3 and 5 wood Proto's. Will be putting AD IZ's in them do get some more launch and a little less spin. Hope that rib heals up.

Let us know how the Gen4 driver goes.

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

12 hours ago, ajlacombe said:

Id agree the Proto fairways do spin a bit more. If anything maybe they have "normal spin" compared to the trend of low spinning fairway rocket launchers

As for Gen4 driver.... I cant say enough of how awesome it is. Im trying to hold back too much praise bc ive only gamed it for 2 rounds and 2 range sessions but feel, sound, and looks are improved in my opinion (and I loved those 3 things in the Proto also). I dont know what it is or why but Gen4 has been alot easier to make consistent dead center contact compared to Proto where I was slightly high toe side more often

Gen4 seems to keep the ball on line more for me than the Proto. Much less side spin but probably bc like I mentioned im dead centering it more. I dont think I can get it on a monitor anytime soon but id bet the Gen4 is slightly faster off the face. 

• Like 2

TaylorMade TP5x

2 minutes ago, JoeFrigo said:

Id agree the Proto fairways do spin a bit more. If anything maybe they have "normal spin" compared to the trend of low spinning fairway rocket launchers

As for Gen4 driver.... I cant say enough of how awesome it is. Im trying to hold back too much praise bc ive only gamed it for 2 rounds and 2 range sessions but feel, sound, and looks are improved in my opinion (and I loved those 3 things in the Proto also). I dont know what it is or why but Gen4 has been alot easier to make consistent dead center contact compared to Proto where I was slightly high toe side more often

Gen4 seems to keep the ball on line more for me than the Proto. Much less side spin but probably bc like I mentioned im dead centering it more. I dont think I can get it on a monitor anytime soon but id bet the Gen4 is slightly faster off the face. 

From my limited time 15 balls hit, I agree with your assessment on feel, sound and looks (minus the white lipstick on top).  I also think the balls seems to jump off faster. I planned on playing today, but so far rain has put a stop to that. Hoping it goes away so I can still get out there. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, JoeFrigo said:

Do you find your self missing the toe weight? I have my heavy weight in the toe for me. What is your length and weight setup?

Will be demoing it Friday at an outdoor demo day. 

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

20 minutes ago, OspreyCI said:

Do you find your self missing the toe weight? I have my heavy weight in the toe for me. What is your length and weight setup?

Will be demoing it Friday at an outdoor demo day. 

No I dont but thats also bc I have a 12.5g weight in the front and 7.5g in the heel (2.5g in the other 2 and set to 8*. This gives me a straight flight to small draw

With the Gen4 I went 2.5 heel and front, 15g in back. Ive got a 7.5* head so the 15g in back helps with launch and control since its low spin enough already. In this setup I have the smallest fade ball flight

Ive used Tensei Pro Orange 60tx in both setups at 45"

Edited by JoeFrigo
  • Thanks 1

TaylorMade TP5x