2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

The Stack System

Max21

I started with the Foundations course—was around 100 mph when I started. 

Finished at this:

IMG_6404.jpeg.361a98c361a086f25728a3410c2455ef.jpeg

It recommended I try the Neural drive course. After doing the last two workouts, I try to swing my driver and hit real balls. I finally touched 115 mph with my driver. I probably would never swing that hard in a tourney, but it is nice to see some potential gains. 

So, I’m more like this in an actual golf match. 

IMG_6405.jpeg.4d242dd1320ddf17c5b5b047de0b53b4.jpeg

For a 49 years old, I’m excited to see some swing speed come back. 

• Like 2

Cobra LTDx LS 10.5 w/Evenflow Riptide CB X-Stiff 
Cobra F8+ 14.5* Rouge Silver X-Stiff

Cobra F8+ 18* Rouge Silver X-Stiff
Srxion 4-6 ZX5 irons, ZX7 7-PW irons w/PX LZ 6.0
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50, 54, 58 x/PX LZ 6.0
Sik Flo or Sik DW or Edel or SGC Norwood 

12 hours ago, fsusp said:

I started with the Foundations course—was around 100 mph when I started. 

Finished at this:

IMG_6404.jpeg.361a98c361a086f25728a3410c2455ef.jpeg

It recommended I try the Neural drive course. After doing the last two workouts, I try to swing my driver and hit real balls. I finally touched 115 mph with my driver. I probably would never swing that hard in a tourney, but it is nice to see some potential gains. 

So, I’m more like this in an actual golf match. 

IMG_6405.jpeg.4d242dd1320ddf17c5b5b047de0b53b4.jpeg

For a 49 years old, I’m excited to see some swing speed come back. 

Awesome work! That’s a great amount of gains and distance. 

Stealth 9 Atmos Black 7X

Tour Edge CBX 119 16.5 Atmos Black 8X

Maverick Pro 3H Atmos Black 9X

Mizuno MP 18 4-PW KBS C Taper 130X

SM6 50*/54* KBS C Taper 130X

SM6 58* KBS 610 S+

SM6 62* KBS Hi-REV X

White Hot Tour #2

On 2/17/2023 at 6:29 AM, kevinrobinson1982 said:

Hi all, I’ve just finished my second program and am deciding what to do next.  

has anyone started the Borgmeier program yet?  

I’m going to give that a try next. I’m up 10mph from the two programs I’ve completed. So no complaints here with the system. But notice that I don’t get any faster speeds out of the step ones.  So hoping that the Borgmeier program will help work on GFR. 

Anyone’s thoughts would be good to hear. 

Hey Kevin.. Im in the same boat. What are you thoughts on Borgmeier now that you've done it? 

I'll post some screenshots of the app here in a bit, but wanted to throw in a quick update:

Baseline w/Driver was 112mph, current eSpeed after 7 sessions is 121mph.  

Hello Boys Independence Day GIF - Hello Boys Independence ...

More deets to follow.  185/185 in 2023 FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 3

AI Smoke TD 9° w/HZRDUS Yellow

Epic Flash 12.5° w/Voodoo VS

'24 Apex UW 19° w/Rogue Silver

Epic Flash 20° w/VS Proto 
'19 Apex Pro 5-9 w/DG

MD2 47° & 52° + PM 1.0 58° & 64° w/DG
Odyssey White Hot 2 Ball Frankenstein (Fowler style)
[img]http://pxc86358mpx1hyn3hdxen4o1.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/171831.png[/img]

I am pretty much doing lifting one day and then speed session the next day and so on. If i find myself getting worn out I usually add in an extra day or two of rest from the stack.

If you haven't checked out the Flex program i would take a look at that. You can set the length of the sessions from 8 mins, 15 mins or 25 mins and you can also set the number of sessions in the program.

Edited by Max21
  • Thanks 1

image.png.c5ddf2148cb4e22a3b84ed6078cb5f08.png

image.gif.ff2df091dca3fb2ba6e0bb68ab195827.gif

• Like 2

'19 Apex Pro 5-9 w/DG

[img]http://pxc86358mpx1hyn3hdxen4o1.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/171831.png[/img]

Bit of a plateau followed by a bit of a breakthrough.  Overall very happy with progress

Having so many swings with numerical feedback really helps you learn what works and what doesn't.  Generally we are told to be loose and smooth on backswing.  I have found I can be too loose and too slow with the backswing.  with just a little tension in the body and an very intentional pace on the backswing gets best results.  

IMG_5448.PNG

IMG_5447.PNG

Edited by Jake81
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Tiger_Stud said:

Impressive! How‘d you get those 2 significant jumps in such a short time?

Honestly, I don't think my answer is going to help much, but here goes..............

I'm about to turn 45, I'm not particularly mobile or flexible, I haven't worked out since May of '20, and the only reason I'm not my heaviest weight ever is because I bought a Stack System this year and have committed to doing better with diet/exercise/etc.  FWIW, I'm down to 215 from 221 this year, with the goal to end up somewhere around 185 depending on muscle vs. fat, etc.  

So basically, I was starting from my personal worst of my life.  I think the first big jump was just me getting back to where I probably was 20+ years ago.  And then the 2nd jump was the cumulative effect of the first 5 sessions and my body actually understanding what we are trying to do together here.  I fully expect future progress to be much slower.  

That said, my 2023 goal is to get to 185lbs & 185mph ball speed.  I want to hit those numbers just once this year.  Not at the same time mind you, just one time.  One morning on the scale to look down and see 185.x.  One single, solitary drive where the stars align and I catch it slightly high on the toe side, fool the Trackman a smidge, all while syncing up all my many moving parts in just the right order at 123.3mph.  

Upon recent (about 2 minutes ago) reflection, I'm thinking I mighta shoulda called it the 190/190 challenge, as it looks like I'm much more likely to get to 190 ball speed than 185lbs 😂!

Edited by Dan Drake
  • Like 1

'19 Apex Pro 5-9 w/DG

Anyone not see what the Stack says you should be seeing?

I'm on my fifth or sixth go around. 

I originally started out with 92 mph driver swing speed. Now my eSpeed is 98 which translates to 107 mph. Technically I've added 15 mph. On a dry swing after a workout, I struggle to get to 100 mph, can occasionally get to 102. Not seeing anything like that on the course. More like 98-99 mph. 

I don't know how I can swing any faster while staying in balance. The "whoosh" on a dry swing is loud, it sounds/feels like I am really moving it but I look down at the radar which tells a different story. 

My iron swing speeds have jumped significantly but don't line up with the driver. I remember back in the day in the Golfsmith catalog when they used speed to recommend flex. If you swung 105 mph with the driver, your 5 iron should be 85 mph so a 20 mph spread. Now my 5 iron is 90 mph and driver is 100 mph. 

Could it be the black/carbon color of the G425 is not being picked up accurately? 

17 hours ago, TheGolfingRealtor said:

I originally started out with 92 mph driver swing speed. Now my eSpeed is 98 which translates to 107 mph. Technically I've added 15 mph. On a dry swing after a workout, I struggle to get to 100 mph, can occasionally get to 102. Not seeing anything like that on the course. More like 98-99 mph. 

I don't know how I can swing any faster while staying in balance. The "whoosh" on a dry swing is loud, it sounds/feels like I am really moving it but I look down at the radar which tells a different story. 

My iron swing speeds have jumped significantly but don't line up with the driver. I remember back in the day in the Golfsmith catalog when they used speed to recommend flex. If you swung 105 mph with the driver, your 5 iron should be 85 mph so a 20 mph spread. Now my 5 iron is 90 mph and driver is 100 mph. 

Could it be the black/carbon color of the G425 is not being picked up accurately? 

98 espeed translates to 98 driver speed

98 stack speed translates to about 105 espeed

On 5/13/2023 at 2:30 PM, TheGolfingRealtor said:

It has been touched on a few different ways but long story short is there can be a gap between Max speed and what you are trying to hit when actually swinging at a ball and target. Seems many see a boost in not only top end speed, crushing speed, but also closing that max gap a little. 

I would recommend the Speed Priming with balls in the “special sessions” next time you are at the range or pre round. 

If not bringing your radar just blast 15-20 balls at the end of your next range session or after Stack if you can. 

Just like it takes some patience and getting used to the swinging the stack, there will be an adjustment period to sequencing and removing that mental barrier with driver/ball as well. You had a huge jump fast with speed, will take a little bit to dial it in! Awesome progress!

• Like 2

Stealth 9 Atmos Black 7X

SM6 58* KBS 610 S+

SM6 62* KBS Hi-REV X

White Hot Tour #2

I’d heard Sasho McKenzie talk a bit about Stack training and CNS fatigue - basically that a stack session would leave you without your normal ability to hit a golf ball for some period of time.

I’m trying to balance speed training with practice, etc and there are times where the choice is to do the stack at, say, 2pm and then play or practice at 6pm or else wait till the next day.

I’m curious what your experiences have been around impacts of speed training on ability to effectively play/practice? For myself, there have been days where I did the stack and my swing speed was severely (8-10%) reduced 5-6 hours later and there have been days when I did a stack session at 10 am and played a decent round of golf at 4pm. 

Edited by Chief Penguin
  • Like 1

Personally, I don’t know if I think that doing the stack system during one part of the day will adversely affect me later in the day and I will swing slower and/or play worse if I had not done the stack workout. 

From my own working out experience, the lowest handicap I ever had was when I cross fitted at 5am and then golfed at 8am. But I am not sure I can correlate that as a cause and effect relationship. 

Anecdotely, I was mentally tougher then, when I golfed. If I had a challenging shot, I knew I had just suffered more a few hours prior at the gym—so, there was nothing on the course that I thought could punish me as much as I had just done at the gym. 

So, for me, I look at the stack system as a tool to get back to being more aggressive, and committed, and aware on the course. At most, the stack workouts are only 25 minutes. There is no way that those 25 minutes are going to drain me so much that I perform worse.

At least, that’s how I’m looking at it. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

Cobra LTDx LS 10.5 w/Evenflow Riptide CB X-Stiff 
Cobra F8+ 14.5* Rouge Silver X-Stiff

Cobra F8+ 18* Rouge Silver X-Stiff
Srxion 4-6 ZX5 irons, ZX7 7-PW irons w/PX LZ 6.0
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50, 54, 58 x/PX LZ 6.0
Sik Flo or Sik DW or Edel or SGC Norwood 

Has anyone experienced slow downs during certain phases of programs?  I’m currently on FSS phase 2 and have slowed down 3-4 mph with 195 g the first few sessions. Speed is starting to come back a little now, but still down slightly. 

FSS phase 2 has 3 sets of heavy swings and then one light set of step swings (which I am terrible at). Wondering if the heavy swings slowing me down, getting out of sequence with step swings, getting use to increased volume, or just normal volatility etc?  Anyone else experience something similar and if so, did it improve again in later phases?

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Chief Penguin said:

I’d heard Sasho McKenzie talk a bit about Stack training and CNS fatigue - basically that a stack session would leave you without your normal ability to hit a golf ball for some period of time.

I’m trying to balance speed training with practice, etc and there are times where the choice is to do the stack at, say, 2pm and then play or practice at 6pm or else wait till the next day.

I’m curious what your experiences have been around impacts of speed training on ability to effectively play/practice? For myself, there have been days where I did the stack and my swing speed was severely (8-10%) reduced 5-6 hours later and there have been days when I did a stack session at 10 am and played a decent round of golf at 4pm. 

Yeah I think it is a weird balance for sure. Had days when it hasn’t had any effect on me and others when things were noticeably down. I am getting ready for a long golf trip this weekend (whole reason I bought the Stack this summer to p*ss off some friends) and stupidly squeezed into the only Trackman slot they had and did a stack session and workout that morning. Was severely down across the board and couldn’t even get through the session. 

Two weeks back I “had” to do a session or else grit would drop and even after a nice warmup I couldn’t even “certify my warmup” and waited two more days and threw up some PR’s after extra rest. 

I think as long as the trend line goes up over time you will be fine. Just have to regulate it on what works for you and in the end I think it’s a waste to kill yourself swinging full tilt and being tired/throwing up lower numbers vs waiting an extra day and having a good session, despite a lower grit score. 

• Like 1

Stealth 9 Atmos Black 7X

SM6 58* KBS 610 S+

SM6 62* KBS Hi-REV X

White Hot Tour #2

Hi guys, sorry for the long first post. I am also going to be keeping this in my log over at. Urethane Mane's Speed Journey

Why I am pursuing speed?

I feel I can swing faster than I currently do. Most people  my age and even much older than me swing faster and hit the ball further than I do. For my age / weight / height I feel I have a lot more speed in the tank that I am not accessing. The problem also comes down to holding greens. Since I have a slower swing speed the spin on my irons is way too low and I have trouble holding greens. My ball flight is too low and my spin is too low so any time I hit a GIR it rolls right off the back of the green, usually. Very annoying and a tough way to play golf.

Information about me

I am 34 years old, 6'2", and 185lbs. I never played any swing sports growing up (baseball, hockey, golf, tennis etc.) so never really developed swing speed when I was young. I played football and basketball which doesn't really translate to golf.

My current handicap is 15. It is my 2nd year golfing. I belong to a semi-private club where I golf around 2 days a week, sometimes more. 6 months out of the year when it's not snowing.

My current swing speed is 95 mph, that is more or less on course speed.

Gear I'm currently using

• Cobra LTDX Tour Length Driver - 10.5° Loft - 43.5inches
  • JPX 921 Hot Metal Irons +0.5inches long
    • 7 iron loft 29°

Plan to get faster

• Stack System
  • PRGR Monitor to capture speed data
  • Lifting weights, heavy compound movements, which I already do

Current results

Yesterday I went to a golf simulator in town that has trackman bays. I tested my swing speed before using the stack system to get a baseline of where I currently am, this way I can know how speed training affects both my driver, woods, hybrids, irons, and wedges. I have attached a link for that below.

Trackman Data - Before swing speed training

I have also attached 3 video clips of my current swing speed. These were taken after completing the day 1 baseline assessment on the stack system.

swing 1 - 105 mph

swing 2 - 106mph

swing 3 - 109mph

Final thoughts

As you can see my current driver speed as measured by the trackman was 95mph. This is me hitting a ball and not swinging out of my shoes. My measured speed just taking air swings in the videos above are much higher. I think it is so much higher because I am not hitting a ball and also I just completed the baseline training session of the stack system.

Once I am done with the Stack Foundation Program I am going to retest in the trackman to see what my speed increase while hitting balls is.

IMG_0560.PNG.80038a5aecd261f8485540b65e349370.png

1 hour ago, UrethaneMane said:

Information about me

I am 34 years old, 6'2", and 185lbs. I never played any swing sports growing up (baseball, hockey, golf, tennis etc.) so never really developed swing speed when I was young. I played football and basketball which doesn't really translate to golf.

My current handicap is 15. It is my 2nd year golfing. I belong to a semi-private club where I golf around 2 days a week, sometimes more. 6 months out of the year when it's not snowing.

First of all congratulations, getting to 15 in your second year golfing is no mean feat.

Are you self-taught or do you get lessons? Reason that I ask is that, based on your age and height, I reckon a good (emphasis on good) instructor should be able to get you easily cruising on the course at 105+, even without speed training.

1 hour ago, UrethaneMane said:

Hi guys, sorry for the long first post. I am also going to be keeping this in my log over at. Urethane Mane's Speed Journey

Why I am pursuing speed?

I feel I can swing faster than I currently do. Most people  my age and even much older than me swing faster and hit the ball further than I do. For my age / weight / height I feel I have a lot more speed in the tank that I am not accessing. The problem also comes down to holding greens. Since I have a slower swing speed the spin on my irons is way too low and I have trouble holding greens. My ball flight is too low and my spin is too low so any time I hit a GIR it rolls right off the back of the green, usually. Very annoying and a tough way to play golf.

Information about me

My current swing speed is 95 mph, that is more or less on course speed.

Gear I'm currently using

• Cobra LTDX Tour Length Driver - 10.5° Loft - 43.5inches
  • JPX 921 Hot Metal Irons +0.5inches long
    • 7 iron loft 29°

Plan to get faster

• Stack System
  • PRGR Monitor to capture speed data
  • Lifting weights, heavy compound movements, which I already do

Current results

Yesterday I went to a golf simulator in town that has trackman bays. I tested my swing speed before using the stack system to get a baseline of where I currently am, this way I can know how speed training affects both my driver, woods, hybrids, irons, and wedges. I have attached a link for that below.

Trackman Data - Before swing speed training

I have also attached 3 video clips of my current swing speed. These were taken after completing the day 1 baseline assessment on the stack system.

swing 1 - 105 mph

swing 2 - 106mph

swing 3 - 109mph

Final thoughts

As you can see my current driver speed as measured by the trackman was 95mph. This is me hitting a ball and not swinging out of my shoes. My measured speed just taking air swings in the videos above are much higher. I think it is so much higher because I am not hitting a ball and also I just completed the baseline training session of the stack system.

Once I am done with the Stack Foundation Program I am going to retest in the trackman to see what my speed increase while hitting balls is.

IMG_0560.PNG.80038a5aecd261f8485540b65e349370.png

You will be ripping it even further in no time. So much untapped potential and even working with an online coach or local and you will be golden. Keep us posted man and enjoy the ride!

Stealth 9 Atmos Black 7X

SM6 58* KBS 610 S+

SM6 62* KBS Hi-REV X

White Hot Tour #2

1 hour ago, GolfTurkey said:

First of all congratulations, getting to 15 in your second year golfing is no mean feat.

Are you self-taught or do you get lessons? Reason that I ask is that, based on your age and height, I reckon a good (emphasis on good) instructor should be able to get you easily cruising on the course at 105+, even without speed training.

Thanks man. I appreciate that. Yes self taught. I wasted all last year messing around with the single plane swing and jumbo max grips. Watched a lot of Todd Graves videos on YouTube. Well I shouldn’t say wasted, but I no longer swing that way. 

I am very weary of instructors. So like you said a good instructor is what I need. 105+ would be so awesome! Just need to start looking for a good instructor.