Callaway Mavrik fairway wood review?

Norboo

2 minutes ago, bvanlieu said:

I know I can swing between flexes just fine, its hard for me to really feel too much of a difference in the same shaft. Weight matters, and families of shafts I can feel.

The Riptide is a follow up to the Evenflow (standard ones, not the counter balanced ones) and I game the older EF Black because the stiffer tip helps with some dispersion from working with a fitter. If you handed me the 6.0 vs 6.5 I am pretty sure I would struggle to feel the difference compared to a Black vs Blue.

When I got my Rogue ST 4W, I ordered it with the no charge Riptide knowing it would be familiar and its working fine, I don't feel the need to rip it out and put in an EF Black 70g 🙂

But that's me...how are you on the feels department when it comes to shafts?

I’m not overly sensitive to them but I can definitely feel differences. Will give this more of shot than one round. Distances and flight were good and felt just a bit soft but not a deal breaker yet. We’ll see. Thanks again. 

2 hours ago, Ripken08 said:

There are no HL versions in the Mavrik line.  It's a true 4W.  3HL is not the same.

With Cally you could substitute 3HL and 4W, they are identical in standard line and I hate that they succumbed to ego marketing and went to 3HL on the Rogue ST...their 3HL is also a true 4W (got one in the bag myself)

There are larger foot print clubs where some argue a 3HL is the 190-200c 3W but higher lofted.

I am firmly in the camp its a bloody 4W at 16-17d loft, and 14-15.5 is a 3W. 

#loftisking 

2 minutes ago, bvanlieu said:

With Cally you could substitute 3HL and 4W, they are identical in standard line and I hate that they succumbed to ego marketing and went to 3HL on the Rogue ST...their 3HL is also a true 4W (got one in the bag myself)

There are larger foot print clubs where some argue a 3HL is the 190-200c 3W but higher lofted.

I am firmly in the camp its a bloody 4W at 16-17d loft, and 14-15.5 is a 3W. 

#loftisking 

Except the HL models typically have 3W length shafts (+1/2") over a true 4W.

3 minutes ago, Ripken08 said:

Except the HL models typically have 3W length shafts (+1/2") over a true 4W.

I agree some may, but not the last few cycles for Cally which is what I was speaking to. 

Same shaft for 3+/3/4 at 43.25. RogueST, Speed, Mav. Flash had no 4W since adjustable.

You gotta go back to the OG Rogue and then its just .25 shorter for the 4W and it also was a smaller head compared to its 3W counterpart in that line where as all the others are within 1-2cc.

Some may feel a 3HL means same head size, if so its been a while since that type of 4W existed from Cally with the OG Rogue.

As I said, I am in the loft is king camp in terms of labeling the club, the lengths are so bastardized at this point its just a suggestion 🙂

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, bvanlieu said:

I agree some may, but not the last few cycles for Cally which is what I was speaking to. 

Same shaft for 3+/3/4 at 43.25. RogueST, Speed, Mav. Flash had no 4W since adjustable.

You gotta go back to the OG Rogue and then its just .25 shorter for the 4W and it also was a smaller head compared to its 3W counterpart in that line where as all the others are within 1-2cc.

Some may feel a 3HL means same head size, if so its been a while since that type of 4W existed from Cally with the OG Rogue.

As I said, I am in the loft is king camp in terms of labeling the club, the lengths are so bastardized at this point its just a suggestion 🙂

Good information. … And that og Rogue 4 wood is a nice one. Perfect size to me. I have one being refinished in matte right now at Continental Golf. 

Edited by dmeeksDC

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

7 hours ago, bvanlieu said:

I know I can swing between flexes just fine, its hard for me to really feel too much of a difference in the same shaft. Weight matters, and families of shafts I can feel.

The Riptide is a follow up to the Evenflow (standard ones, not the counter balanced ones) and I game the older EF Black because the stiffer tip helps with some dispersion from working with a fitter. If you handed me the 6.0 vs 6.5 I am pretty sure I would struggle to feel the difference compared to a Black vs Blue.

When I got my Rogue ST 4W, I ordered it with the no charge Riptide knowing it would be familiar and its working fine, I don't feel the need to rip it out and put in an EF Black 70g 🙂

But that's me...how are you on the feels department when it comes to shafts?

I just got a Mavrik 4 wood with the Evenflow Riptide in 60g 6.0. I've been playing an Epic Speed with Evenflow Black 60g 6.0. 

I've sometimes hit the Epic Speed really well when I was perfectly synched up, but I can't say I ever felt like I was loading it. Lately I couldn't get on with it and was leaving it out to the right too often. I think that stiff tip you like in the EF Black isn't for me. 

I went with the Mavrik as a replacement mostly because of the shaft. I know I like the smoother Riptide feel from having owned a Mavrik Max 3+ for a while. That club was great for me off the tee. 

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

I am a low hc that struggles with fairway woods.  After trying a friend's Mavrik 3w, I had to have one.  I picked up a 3w with Riptide 6.0 70 and it has been amazing for.  My miss is a hook and this thing just wants to go straight.  It is also easy to launch off the deck.  My only gripe is it is a little to long providing driver like distance.  I am searching for a 5w with the Riptide.

I have the mavrik max 3 and 5 woods with the evenflow riptide 70g shafts and for me they are the best fairway woods I've had. Both are easy to use off a tee or the fairway. 

Callaway mavrik max 10.5

Callaway mavrik max 3 & 5 wood
Ping g30  26* & 30* hybrids
Ping i200 6 - UW

Ping glide 54* & 60* wedges
Odyssey #7 putter

22 hours ago, me05501 said:

I just got a Mavrik 4 wood with the Evenflow Riptide in 60g 6.0. I've been playing an Epic Speed with Evenflow Black 60g 6.0. 

I've sometimes hit the Epic Speed really well when I was perfectly synched up, but I can't say I ever felt like I was loading it. Lately I couldn't get on with it and was leaving it out to the right too often. I think that stiff tip you like in the EF Black isn't for me. 

I went with the Mavrik as a replacement mostly because of the shaft. I know I like the smoother Riptide feel from having owned a Mavrik Max 3+ for a while. That club was great for me off the tee. 

Just got the same club, and really don’t like it. To me, it feels dead. It will be gone very soon.

7 hours ago, JTD0314 said:

I am a low hc that struggles with fairway woods.  After trying a friend's Mavrik 3w, I had to have one.  I picked up a 3w with Riptide 6.0 70 and it has been amazing for.  My miss is a hook and this thing just wants to go straight.  It is also easy to launch off the deck.  My only gripe is it is a little to long providing driver like distance.  I am searching for a 5w with the Riptide.

CPO

• 2 weeks later...

So, I am l looking to purchase the standard Mavrik 5 wood from TGW brand new for $199.  I play the original Evenflow Riptide 60 in 6.0 flex in my driver and love it!  The Mavrik that TGW is selling only has the HZRDUS (orange) T 800 65 shaft in 5.0, 5.5, or 6.0.  Not sure what flex to choose, never hit the shaft.  Can anybody weigh in on this shaft characteristics, weight/ flex please!  The site lists the 5.5 and 6.0 as mid/high torque and mid/high launch.  I really want to get one of these, but a little trigger shy on what the shaft is like.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The Riptide I play has 4.4 torque which feels right.

Titleist TSR2 10*| MCA Tensei AV blue (SFW) Xlink 55 S

Titleist TSR2 3 HL 16.5*| MCA Tensei AV blue Xlink 65 S

Titleist TSR2 7 Wood 21*| MCA Tensei AV blue Xlink 75 S

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged 4 iron| N.S. Pro 980GH DST S

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged 5-GW| N.S. Pro 1050GH S

Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore 54* & 58*| N.S. Pro 1050GH S
Ping 2023 Anser
Srixon Z Star

Check the website, Callawaygolfpreowned.com. There are many good on sale.

Ping G430 Max 10K 9* as 10* HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX 60 S

Taylormade BRNR  UST ProForce 65 Retro Burner R

Callaway Apex 21 Hybrid 20*  UST MAMIYA RECOIL 75 DART S

Ping i525   5 - Gap  Ping AWT 2.0 S

Callaway PM Grind 19  Tour Grey 54*/10  KBS HI-REV 2.0 115 

Callaway PM Grind 19  Tour Grey 58* KBS HI-REV 2.0 115

Callaway PM Grind 19  Tour Grey 61* KBS HI-REV 2.0 115 

Odyssey Ai-ONE Rossie S Putter

Callaway 24'Chrome Tour Yellow/Titliest 24' AVX Yellow

16 hours ago, pjc said:

So, I am l looking to purchase the standard Mavrik 5 wood from TGW brand new for $199.  I play the original Evenflow Riptide 60 in 6.0 flex in my driver and love it!  The Mavrik that TGW is selling only has the HZRDUS (orange) T 800 65 shaft in 5.0, 5.5, or 6.0.  Not sure what flex to choose, never hit the shaft.  Can anybody weigh in on this shaft characteristics, weight/ flex please!  The site lists the 5.5 and 6.0 as mid/high torque and mid/high launch.  I really want to get one of these, but a little trigger shy on what the shaft is like.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The Riptide I play has 4.4 torque which feels right.

I would not be too quick to pull the trigger on a shaft profile you are not comfy with. EF and HZDRS are very different lines. I don't enjoy the latter, game the former. 

200 is an OK deal, not great. CPO has Rogue ST woods in the 200 range like new on sale. 

You can find a 5w head only with some patience in nice shape (Proclubs has sold them) and for $50 buy a new old stock EF Blue or Black shaft, 70 a riptide. 

Now you have your club for $200 ($30 for an install if you don't DIY)

I like a good deal as much as the next guy/gal, but finding the right 1) weight and 2) profile goes a long way.  If you like the EF profile, on paper you are better to get a EF Riptide 70 in the 5w. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, bvanlieu said:

I like a good deal as much as the next guy/gal, but finding the right 1) weight and 2) profile goes a long way.  If you like the EF profile, on paper you are better to get a EF Riptide 70 in the 5w. 

my maverick 5W from CPO came with the Black Riptide 70g but in 5.5 flex. I thought I would change it as all my clubs are stiff and driver swing is 105-108 and honestly this thing just goes straight, high and long without much effort. Want to get one for my hybrid now but not sure if I should get the regular Evenflow Black (5.5 or 6???) to keep the ball flight down. Any input would be appreciated on this.