Chrome Soft X LS

phizzy30

12 hours ago, anth said:

Would love to hear more on your thoughts of the differences between TP5X and CSX LS

TP5x is 5 yards longer off the tee for me and spins maybe 200 rpm more off driver compared to the LS.  Iron distances are pretty similar.  TP5x spins a bit more on shots 130 yards and in.  The reason why I'm gaming the LS is because it holds it's line better especially on windy days.  I like the hard clicky feel as well. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

On 5/29/2021 at 5:47 AM, Honeybadger said:

Anyone compare the Chrome LS to the AVX?

I did a trial run with the AVX last year.  Launches lower than the LS and spins a hair less.  Had a hard time holding on firm greens and down wind.  Expect a little more roll out around the greens as well.  Feels like a marshmallow off driver as well whereas the LS is a lot firmer. 

• Thanks 1

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Played two rounds last week with the LS.....one of those days was quite windy.  I was pretty impressed with how the LS handled the wind.  Overall I'm really liking this ball.  I've never hit the the Chromesoft X.  I just may buy a sleeve and see if I notice anything different on the course.  I should have my ball picked by the end of the season or so 😄

Edited by ChadL
  • Haha 1

On 6/1/2021 at 11:01 AM, ChadL said:

Played two rounds last week with the LS.....one of those days was quite windy.  I was pretty impressed with how the LS handled the wind.  Overall I'm really liking this ball.  I've never hit the the Chromesoft X.  I just may buy a sleeve and see if I notice anything different on the course.  I should have my ball picked by the end of the season or so 😄

I was gifted a box of CSX last year and got a box of CSX LS from the Cally rep this year.  I was so impressed with the LS I bought another box.  The CSX launches just a touch higher.  There was a 200 rpm difference between the two.  Only got to hit my 7 iron as I was pressed for time on my buddy's trackman, but the spin was marginal.  The LS however, is a better ball when it gets windy IMO. 

• 2 weeks later...

I put these in play for the first time today. All I can say is wow and/or WTF. Every shot was at least a club longer than normal compared to the TP5X I usually play. This was great in some cases and troublesome in others. More thoughts by club type below:

Driver - This is somewhat complicated by the fact I made some changes to my set up that allow me to hit more up on the ball (e.g., positive angle of attack), but even with that, I have to say "OMG". Per my Arccos, I hit 5+ drives over 300+ yards, some over 320. I have never hit the ball that far. The ball just launched high and straight. I'm doubtful I can attribute all these gains to the ball, but the ball felt great off the face and the results were spectacular

Irons - I didn't have many irons given I was leaving myself wedges into most greens, but I was definitely a club longer and the ball felt pretty good. Little harder / more clicky than normal, but nothing I'm going to complain about. Spin was less than the TP5X, but was still stopping within a few / handful of feet, so manageable under most conditions

Wedges - This is where I had to scratch my head a bit. I was either hitting wedges in a way I have never hit before or this ball rockets off the wedge. I was long every freaking time I hit a wedge (and not just a little bit), even as I tried to dial it back throughout the round. If I were used to this ball and knew my distances with it it would probably be ok. That said, being closer to the green all the time and having to hit softer, less aggressive wedge shots is not a place I've been before (or want to be?)

Putting - This was a complete disaster. The course held its members "US Open" in the morning before I played, so the pins were set up in absurd locations. One inch from a ridge that sends the ball 20 feet past the hole, one small step from the fringe, you name it. Couple that with never having played the course, and putting was challenging to say the least. Even with the odd circumstances, I couldn't get used to the feel of the ball. Definitely hard, which I'm not used to. I don't think this is necessarily a fault, but it will require an adjustment period. 

Overall, I'm very intrigued by this ball. I love the thought of being able to hit it 300+ regularly and being longer throughout the bag. I also think the "issues" noted above will resolve themselves with some more use. I guess the biggest takeaway is how different this ball feels vs. the TP5X, which I would think would be its main comp. Anyone else feel the same way? 

• Thanks 1

On 5/21/2021 at 8:21 AM, phizzy30 said:

TP5x is 5 yards longer off the tee for me and spins maybe 200 rpm more off driver compared to the LS.  Iron distances are pretty similar.  TP5x spins a bit more on shots 130 yards and in.  The reason why I'm gaming the LS is because it holds it's line better especially on windy days.  I like the hard clicky feel as well. 

For my whole golf career I've played forged clubs and just this season am giving the cast i210 a try. I was shocked on how much I enjoyed the CSXLS off my irons. It was a really cool feedback. I couldn't get over the click of the chips/wedges.

For some reason when testing the 21' TP5X, CSXLS, and 21' ProV1X, the TP5X was pretty consistently longer off driver, and the the ProV1X consistently longer off mid-irons with the CSXLS more in the middle.

• Like 1

TSR3 9° Tensei Black 65X
TSi2 15° ATX Green 75TX
917F 18° ATX Green 85X
ZX5 MkII 4-5 / ZX7 MkII 6-P  Modus 120X
ZipCore 50° Modus 120X

Vokey SM9 54S/60M Modus 125 Wedge
Nike Neo

ZStar

5 hours ago, Fairways_and_Greens said:

For my whole golf career I've played forged clubs and just this season am giving the cast i210 a try. I was shocked on how much I enjoyed the CSXLS off my irons. It was a really cool feedback. I couldn't get over the click of the chips/wedges.

For some reason when testing the 21' TP5X, CSXLS, and 21' ProV1X, the TP5X was pretty consistently longer off driver, and the the ProV1X consistently longer off mid-irons with the CSXLS more in the middle.

It's all about preference.  For some guys it's feel, other's numbers and for some it's about both.  I like a harder ball, BUT, ultimately in the end, I have to go with the numbers.  I don't like leaving anything on the table, if you feel me.  😉

• Like 1

20 hours ago, phizzy30 said:

I don't like leaving anything on the table, if you feel me.  😉

Me neither. But Callaways decision to keep delaying the date that us in the U.K. might potentially get them in Yellow: and me now not wanting to swap balls so late in the season /  just after getting comfortable with the 2021 TP5X - means I won’t be using these in earnest this year. I might trial a few, I might not. 
       Can’t blame Callaway. We’re obviously such a pathetically small market - we’re hardly worth worrying about in Yellow. Would have loved to have had a serious competitive shoot-out for the bag spot though.

I’m done in this thread. And jealous of you that got to try and loved these balls 👌

PING - G20 - 9.5  degree - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue - X
BRIDGESTONE J33 (15) - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue - X
MIZUNO Fli-Hi (17+20) - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue - X
PING  ZING2 Irons (4-PW) - Black Lie angle - JZ Stiff
CALLAWAY MD3 Black (52+58 deg) DG Pro: S300
RIFE Iconic Three Putter -  343g  / 34.5" / 68 Deg 

TAYLORMADE TP5-X Yellow << 2021 Version >>

Regards "Shuv" : sevenfourate's WITB LINK (Click right here):

I haven't been on a monitor but I've messed around with last gen TP5X and Chrome Soft X LS plenty on course.

I think I'm gaining distance when I hit fades with the CSXLS but losing a bit when I hit draws due to the reduction I'm seeing in spin. The draws with the TP5X are optimal and the fades are solid. With the CSXLS the fades I'm hitting are just silly. High as can be at Max carry and still bounding down the fairway The draws can knuckle out of the air a bit at times though.

G430 LST 9 Matrix 50M4 R Black Tie

BRNR Mini 11.5 Midr Proto 65R

Apex UW 2021 17 Smoke Black RDX 70 5.5

TSR2 21 & 24 AV Raw Blue 75R

T350 6-48 AMT Red R300

RTX Full Face Black 54 60 KBS Hi Rev 2 115

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 CH 34in SS Pistol 1.0

Srixon Q Star Tour 

Cally finally came out with the CSX LS in yellow triple track!!!  I got myself 2 boxes last week as a result.  Shout out to @sevenfouratefor mentioning them.  I know you UK guys haven't gotten them in yet.  I love the way these balls look. 

18 hours ago, phizzy30 said:

Cally finally came out with the CSX LS in yellow triple track!!!  I got myself 2 boxes last week as a result.  Shout out to @sevenfouratefor mentioning them.  I know you UK guys haven't gotten them in yet.  I love the way these balls look. 

Oh Wow - so you guys only had them in plain Yellow without Triple Track ?

****" We've" got neither plain or otherwise right now in Yellow. But i did buy myself a sleeve of ERC Soft in Yellow Triple-Track to have a mess around with and see if i can get my head around the lines in readiness of ever getting the CS-X LS version in the UK........

GOOD LUCK, ENJOY AND LET US KNOW YOUR THOUGHTS.

Edited by sevenfourate
  • Like 1

played 18 yesterday for the first time with this ball and i'm quite surprised how much i liked it based on summer conditions...with my course greens getting softer with the heat and watering, the ball was spot on for what i needed. low spin from 80-150 yards but still enough spin when hitting it 150yds +...no knuckle balls and was softer feeling than i anticipated. only missed a few greens so didn't really test the chip shot spin but it felt adequate...now i'm gonna try the left dash next and between the two i have a summer ball for softer greens...still gonna play prov1X in the winter when greens firm up. but this is a game changer for me because i've always struggled with too much backspin with short irons and wedges.

• Thanks 1

On 6/23/2021 at 12:50 AM, sevenfourate said:

Oh Wow - so you guys only had them in plain Yellow without Triple Track ?

****" We've" got neither plain or otherwise right now in Yellow. But i did buy myself a sleeve of ERC Soft in Yellow Triple-Track to have a mess around with and see if i can get my head around the lines in readiness of ever getting the CS-X LS version in the UK........

GOOD LUCK, ENJOY AND LET US KNOW YOUR THOUGHTS.

When I went to the local store last week, they finally had both the optic yellow with and without triple track.  Before, it was just the white ones with and without triple track.

PXL_20210625_181240769.jpg

Could be the honeymoon phase but I put CSX LS in play this weekend and I was very impressed.    Nothing like any Chrome Soft that I have played in the past.    Will be keeping it in play to make sure it wasn't just a fluke round where my game was dialed in.    

These are not pros or cons just my observations.   Driver swing speed ~110.  Medium/low ball flight with higher spin.    

-Played similar to -ProV1x but with softer feel.   Ball flight was also much higher with CSX LS

-Driver was slightly longer with CSX LS (Probably due to higher flight for me)

-Sounded clicky off wedges but it wasn't the harsh, annoying clicky.  Feel was still very good.  Distance control was spot on with these and had plenty of spin once I figured out you need to be a little more aggressive through the ball.  Definitely prefer CSX LS over -ProV1x with wedges

-Only had 7 shots with my irons so not much to say here except they performed very well  (Not counting my 2 iron off the tee.)   

-Putting felt great with White Hot Pro 9.  

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym TD          9°   Mitsubishi Kai'li White 60

Callaway Paradym TD 3+     13.5°  Mitsubishi Kai'li White 70

Callaway Apex UW        19°   Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 75

Callaway Apex TCB       4-AW  Project X

Callaway Jaws Raw      54°S ,60°Z True Temper DG Spinner 

Odyssey Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide

Callaway Chrome Tour

On 6/28/2021 at 12:37 PM, DREWZER300 said:

Could be the honeymoon phase but I put CSX LS in play this weekend and I was very impressed.    Nothing like any Chrome Soft that I have played in the past.    Will be keeping it in play to make sure it wasn't just a fluke round where my game was dialed in.    

These are not pros or cons just my observations.   Driver swing speed ~110.  Medium/low ball flight with higher spin.    

-Played similar to -ProV1x but with softer feel.   Ball flight was also much higher with CSX LS

-Driver was slightly longer with CSX LS (Probably due to higher flight for me)

-Sounded clicky off wedges but it wasn't the harsh, annoying clicky.  Feel was still very good.  Distance control was spot on with these and had plenty of spin once I figured out you need to be a little more aggressive through the ball.  Definitely prefer CSX LS over -ProV1x with wedges

-Only had 7 shots with my irons so not much to say here except they performed very well  (Not counting my 2 iron off the tee.)   

-Putting felt great with White Hot Pro 9.  

I actually had a chance to try a sleeve of left dash as one of my buddies gave me a sleeve couple weeks back.  I did a trade with him for a sleeve of CSX LS.  Don't get me wrong, I like it, but it's very iffy on windy days.  CSX LS actually play better in the wind than any other tour ball maybe with the exception of the MTB-X.  They spin less than the MTB-X which is what I need.  It's been my gamer ever since it's release.  It pretty much checks all the boxes for me.  Great wind ball, optimal launch window.  Spins enough for me with irons and wedges and has that harder, clicky feel which is what I prefer over the marshmallow feel like the AVX. 

Edited by phizzy30

‘Eons’ after the rest of the World: Yellow Triple-Track X LS hit the shores of the U.K this week.

Despite me threatening to boycott even so much as trying them this late in the season - the lure of some extra added performance was too much: and I’ve purchased a dozen (With much excitement I should add) .

And will hopefully be doing an on-course comparison versus the much loved 2021 TP5X I’ve been using this year - very soon.

Will be penning a few comparison thoughts once I’ve had a fair chance to test…..

• Like 1

On 6/12/2021 at 9:23 PM, dvq9654 said:

I put these in play for the first time today. All I can say is wow and/or WTF. Every shot was at least a club longer than normal compared to the TP5X I usually play. This was great in some cases and troublesome in others. More thoughts by club type below:

Driver - This is somewhat complicated by the fact I made some changes to my set up that allow me to hit more up on the ball (e.g., positive angle of attack), but even with that, I have to say "OMG". Per my Arccos, I hit 5+ drives over 300+ yards, some over 320. I have never hit the ball that far. The ball just launched high and straight. I'm doubtful I can attribute all these gains to the ball, but the ball felt great off the face and the results were spectacular

Irons - I didn't have many irons given I was leaving myself wedges into most greens, but I was definitely a club longer and the ball felt pretty good. Little harder / more clicky than normal, but nothing I'm going to complain about. Spin was less than the TP5X, but was still stopping within a few / handful of feet, so manageable under most conditions

Wedges - This is where I had to scratch my head a bit. I was either hitting wedges in a way I have never hit before or this ball rockets off the wedge. I was long every freaking time I hit a wedge (and not just a little bit), even as I tried to dial it back throughout the round. If I were used to this ball and knew my distances with it it would probably be ok. That said, being closer to the green all the time and having to hit softer, less aggressive wedge shots is not a place I've been before (or want to be?)

Putting - This was a complete disaster. The course held its members "US Open" in the morning before I played, so the pins were set up in absurd locations. One inch from a ridge that sends the ball 20 feet past the hole, one small step from the fringe, you name it. Couple that with never having played the course, and putting was challenging to say the least. Even with the odd circumstances, I couldn't get used to the feel of the ball. Definitely hard, which I'm not used to. I don't think this is necessarily a fault, but it will require an adjustment period. 

Overall, I'm very intrigued by this ball. I love the thought of being able to hit it 300+ regularly and being longer throughout the bag. I also think the "issues" noted above will resolve themselves with some more use. I guess the biggest takeaway is how different this ball feels vs. the TP5X, which I would think would be its main comp. Anyone else feel the same way? 

I've been playing the CSXLS for the last few weeks. Was generally pretty happy, but noticed my touch around the green wasn't as good as usual, so decided to put the new TP5X back into play this morning. The difference was clear immediately. The TP5X, for me at least, is a much much better feeling ball throughout the bag and gives me much more confidence around the green. That feel is more important than I realized, and I think the TP5X will remain in my bag going forward, especially cause any difference in distance was negligible.  

Going to put the LS in play tomorrow, might be a disaster or unicorn who knows. I have had very good rounds with the Bridgestone Tour B X so maybe.

• Like 1

Callaway Smoke Max 10.5 GD AD VF 6s

Titleist TSR 2 16.5 GD AD UB 7s

Titleist TSR 2 21 GD AD DI 8x

Callaway APEX Pro / CB  4-11 PX IO 5.5 

Callaway full toe 54* PX IO  6.5

Callaway full toe 58* PX IO 6.5

SLED # 1  35.5

1 hour ago, belh22 said:

Ball is growing in me. Long time tp5x user. Better every day. 

Wow - this is me exactly. I'm just getting into the CS X-LS. Why so good for you ?

Just my .02. I have played the Callaway Chrome Soft for years now. I played Titleist PV1X exclusively for 8 years or so. I have not found a ball that out performes the 2020 CSX, or the 2020 CS in the winter months. That being said, I do believe that my swing may fit these balls. I tried the CSLS and I noticed a lower trajectory off the driver, and I may not have the SS for that ball. I think most people that have not tried a CSX, would possibly switch to it if given a chance.

On 7/19/2021 at 10:31 AM, ajestrada3 said:

Anyone know if the CSX LS will ever be available in the truvis design?

Very possible.  I'm happy with the triple track but would be open to getting a box of the Truvis version.

13 hours ago, davidsloftin said:

Just my .02. I have played the Callaway Chrome Soft for years now. I played Titleist PV1X exclusively for 8 years or so. I have not found a ball that out performes the 2020 CSX, or the 2020 CS in the winter months. That being said, I do believe that my swing may fit these balls. I tried the CSLS and I noticed a lower trajectory off the driver, and I may not have the SS for that ball. I think most people that have not tried a CSX, would possibly switch to it if given a chance.

CSX is a very underrated ball.  Most of the Cally staff on tour play it for good reason.  The ball does everything you would expect it to in a tour ball then then some.  ProV1x is still the golden standard, but to me, the fact that Titleist is making them launch higher and spin more with the latest generations is just not appealing to me anymore.  I need a ball that flys lower and spins less.  CSX hit every mark for me except that it spun a little too much for me with irons.  CSX LS has solved that problem.  I also don't mind a little more roll out on greens as I have adjusted to that quickly. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, phizzy30 said:

CSX is a very underrated ball.  Most of the Cally staff on tour play it for good reason.  The ball does everything you would expect it to in a tour ball then then some.  ProV1x is still the golden standard, but to me, the fact that Titleist is making them launch higher and spin more with the latest generations is just not appealing to me anymore.  I need a ball that flys lower and spins less.  CSX hit every mark for me except that it spun a little too much for me with irons.  CSX LS has solved that problem.  I also don't mind a little more roll out on greens as I have adjusted to that quickly. 

the CSX LS has been my ball all season for this reason. 

• Like 2

Qi10 LS / 8* (dialed to 8.75*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Qi10 Tour / 3w / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

Been playing LS for couple months now. Can't play the low super spinny chip with it, but otherwise I'm a huge fan. Grew up playing 100+ compression, I like the clicky sound and hard feel, reminds me of the apex 100+ I played as a kid. If that's the feel and sound you are looking for, this is the ball for you. 

• Like 1