Anyone using Nippon NS Pro 950GH Iron Shafts?

Joe Jordan

Just curious who out there is gaming these shafts? I was able to demo this shaft for the first time with my fitter in the Srixon ZX5. I could not believe how high the ball flight was (obviously I’m a low ball hitter). The dispersancy was great as well. Would love to hear the thoughts of some long term users out there.

• Like 1

I have them in regular flex in my 4-5 irons (Srixon 355’s). They are smooth and high launching which is ideal for long irons. Not sure how I’d like them in my shorter clubs (which have Modus 120 stiff). 

• Like 1

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

1 hour ago, Joe Jordan said:

Just curious who out there is gaming these shafts? I was able to demo this shaft for the first time with my fitter in the Srixon ZX5. I could not believe how high the ball flight was (obviously I’m a low ball hitter). The dispersancy was great as well. Would love to hear the thoughts of some long term users out there.

Were you able to compare the same heads with different shafts to see how the Nippons were helping launch comparatively?

d: Epic Max | f: Rogue 3HL, Apex UW | h1: Apex Super | i: 923 HM | w: MD4 | p: Chalk Spider X SB

1 hour ago, Joe Jordan said:

I've used NS Pro 950 in stiff in my irons for 20 years... So I definitely have the long term down lol...

May not be the best to help you for various reasons... 

1. My index is 3x what yours is. I suck.
  2. I'm tall so my shafts are +1.5" and I think my fitter chose 950gm shafts to keep my SW down... To E0 lol.
  3. Don't know your speed, or barely my own. Just did a lesson and saw my swing on Trackman for the first time, but only 7i. Average was 88-90 mph w/ 7i.
  4. These are the only clubs I've hit in the last 20 years so I have little to compare to.

All that said--when I was originally fit 20 years ago I felt like I was hitting low trajectory in other clubs, and this is absolutely not the case with my irons. The guys I play with feel like I hit the ball high, and I can't disagree. I think I hit a pretty high trajectory. Note that I also have a flip... Not a horrible one with my hands back on my right hip, but my hands are usually directly above the ball at impact rather than in front with shaft lean... So I'm not delofting the club as much as I should. Could contribute to higher dynamic loft than I should have.

But yeah, high trajectory has never been a problem with these shafts. Even down to my 3i when I flush it rather than hit it thin (a common miss for me), I have absolutely no trouble getting up to a pretty high ball flight and apex.

• Like 1

Ping G25 10.5* w/ Diamana 'ahina 70 x5ct stiff (set -0.5 to 10*)

Sub70 Pro Tour 5w w/ Aldila NV NXT 85 stiff

Wishon EQ1-NX 4h, 5i-GW single-length built to 37.5" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 286 52/10, 286 56/12, and JB 60/6 wedges, black, built to 36.75" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 Sycamore Mallet putter @ 36.5" with Winn midsize pistol grip

I have been playing these shafts for 5-6 years now. I self-fitted into them and then went for a fitting (at Club Champion) and they confirmed I had selected the best shaft for my swing, swing speed, and desired flight pattern. I love them as when I really go at it, they remain true to form and the ball just goes and goes. My distances are very consistent under normal swing conditions and I have great stopping power on the green. I have them installed in 2017 TaylorMade M1 heads at D3 swingweight through the set. Driver swing speed is 90-92 and I play the 950s in stiff flex.

• Like 1

TaylorMade Stealth2+ 9° - Fujikura Ventus Black VeloCore 5-S

TaylorMade M5 15° - Fujikura Ventus Black VeloCore 6-S
Callaway CF-18 18° - KBS Tour Prototype 85 S
Srixon ZX5 4-AW - Nippon Modus3 105 R
Cleveland ZipCore 54° Mid and 58° Mid - DG Spinner
Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2 35"
Titleist Pro V1
Arccos Gen 3 sensors

There's a reason they have been around for so long.  They are fantastic shafts if you swing with a smooth tempo.  They feel great.  By comparison, the Elevate 95 (non-tour) launch higher. XP 95 launch about the same but feel a bit more clicky (to me).  

• Like 2

Ping G410 Plus Driver, TaylorMade Aeroburner 3W, Cobra F6 Baffler 
Callaway 2015 XR 4, 5 hybrids

Titleist 2021 T300 6-P, 48W, 53W irons

Ping Zing Lob wedge
Axis1 Rose putter

2 hours ago, rondre3000 said:

Were you able to compare the same heads with different shafts to see how the Nippons were helping launch comparatively?

I did...can’t remember all of them but I know it was Recoil and I believe Modus 105. Launch and distance seemed better with the 950GH. Ball just seem to get up and go, not ballooning. I have that smooth swing...hear that comment/compliment  a lot. But obviously not a fast swing swing speed lol.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, betarhoalphadelta said:

I've used NS Pro 950 in stiff in my irons for 20 years... So I definitely have the long term down lol...

May not be the best to help you for various reasons... 

1. My index is 3x what yours is. I suck.
  2. I'm tall so my shafts are +1.5" and I think my fitter chose 950gm shafts to keep my SW down... To E0 lol.
  3. Don't know your speed, or barely my own. Just did a lesson and saw my swing on Trackman for the first time, but only 7i. Average was 88-90 mph w/ 7i.
  4. These are the only clubs I've hit in the last 20 years so I have little to compare to.

All that said--when I was originally fit 20 years ago I felt like I was hitting low trajectory in other clubs, and this is absolutely not the case with my irons. The guys I play with feel like I hit the ball high, and I can't disagree. I think I hit a pretty high trajectory. Note that I also have a flip... Not a horrible one with my hands back on my right hip, but my hands are usually directly above the ball at impact rather than in front with shaft lean... So I'm not delofting the club as much as I should. Could contribute to higher dynamic loft than I should have.

But yeah, high trajectory has never been a problem with these shafts. Even down to my 3i when I flush it rather than hit it thin (a common miss for me), I have absolutely no trouble getting up to a pretty high ball flight and apex.

I appreciate the feedback!

The stock ZX5 Srixon shaft is the new 950GH Neo which is not the same as the 950GH.  They have a softer butt and stiffer middle which is designed to launch the ball higher.  The 950GH is a classic 20 year old shaft that basically started the lightweight shaft revolution.  Smooth feel as everyone says and definitely softer then other shaft lines.  Fast tempo swingers tend to over power theses.  I played them in SR (Firm) flex and S Flex.

I moved to the Modus 3 Tour 105 R which is stouter then the 950GH S.  Getting a Neo in a DI though, so I'll be interested to see if I really notice a difference.

• Like 1

I've been playing the 950's for probably 5 years.   Has been a great lighter weight shaft that's easy to launch without ballooning.  I'm 55 so my speed has been on the decline.

I look at it as the 'go to' shaft for us slower speed/older guys much like the Dynamic Gold is the 'go to' shaft for the faster guys. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 5 over said:

Anyone have an opinion of flex/feel versus KBS Tour 90 in the same flex?

Tour 90 feels marginally harsher than gh950, especially for stiff. For a lightweight shaft, gh950 feels much better and both flies very very high. There's a reason why gh950 is one of the most popular iron shafts in East Asia. But if you are a relatively faster swinger (like 105+ driver), it goes too high with too much spin. With many good graphite shaft options, i guess gh950 is less attractive than before. 

• Like 2

I have the 950s in regular flex in my first set of Miura baby blades, PW-3i.  I've had that set about 5 years.  My experiences are largely the same as others here.  You need to put a smooth swing on them.  I love the ball flight.  I don't hit the ball high naturally and these help.  They are not as stiff feeling as my RP Rifle 5.0s.  And they help with my distance since they are light.

And because I seek to improve my equipment by building on past success, for the last three years I've been playing the 850s in stiff flex in my second set of baby blades.  I basically wanted to go even lighter than my 950s but stay as stiff as possible in flex, so the 850s in stiff flex were my solution.  The end result is that I hit about half a club farther (~5 yds) with the 850s than the 950s.  Whether it's truly because of the weight or flex change I don't know.  I just know the 850s are my gamers and my trusty 950s are a great backup.  Point being, try out the 850s!

• Like 1

TEE CB2 13* 3w, 43.5", 57g Fujikura Motore F1 X-flex
TEE CB2 15* 3w, 43" 65g Fujikura Motore F1 S-flex
Miura Black Boron 1957 Small Blades 2i-PW, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
Miura Black Wedges 53* and 60*, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
GripMaster Club Maker's Stitchback Grips
34" Piretti Bosa, GripMaster Pistol Grip

Registered Bladeocrat
Outlaw Golf Association Member #7

I have played the 950s in two sets of irons and each time they work out really nicely for me. High but not ballooning

Like a little over mid high... i have a issue ballowing short irons and wedges but these really helped without making the over all flight super low. Feel is really great and they are underratedly nice looking shafts. Love that their is not a huge colored sticker on them just a nice small shaft colored print. Definetly a great shaft in the 90gram weights. I use stiff.

• Like 1

Played Dynamic Golds for years, but needed a lighter option as the years have caught up to me.  I got a great deal on a set of PXG 0211's last summer that I couldn't pass on, and the 950's came with them.  I wasn't 100% sure they'd be a fit, but I did want a lighter steel option.  I couldn't be happier with them.  I'm not a low ball hitter, and worried they might be too high launch for me, but what I've found is that I can get all of my irons airborne with a less effort, and the combo has done very well in the wind, despite a high ball flight (my ball may have something to do with that, too).  I've not seen any ballooning, and knocking shots down has been very easy, too. 

• Like 1

Srixon Zx5 MKII 9.5* Lin-Q Gunmetal 6

Callaway Paradym HL (set to 15.5*) Speeder Evolution V 661

Tour Edge Exotics E722 18* Ventus Blue 6

Cobra King Tec 4 Utility MMT 80
PXG 0311P Gen2 5-PW MMT 80

Ping Glide 4.0 50* SS, 54* WS KBS Tour
Callaway MD PM Grind Raw 58* KBS Tour
Toulon Garage Le Mans 
Titleist AVX/ProVI

16 hours ago, iNeedMoreGolf said:

I have played the 950s in two sets of irons and each time they work out really nicely for me. High but not ballooning

Like a little over mid high... i have a issue ballowing short irons and wedges but these really helped without making the over all flight super low. Feel is really great and they are underratedly nice looking shafts. Love that their is not a huge colored sticker on them just a nice small shaft colored print. Definetly a great shaft in the 90gram weights. I use stiff.

Thank you...great feedback 👍🏻

9 hours ago, lazyjc4 said:

Played Dynamic Golds for years, but needed a lighter option as the years have caught up to me.  I got a great deal on a set of PXG 0211's last summer that I couldn't pass on, and the 950's came with them.  I wasn't 100% sure they'd be a fit, but I did want a lighter steel option.  I couldn't be happier with them.  I'm not a low ball hitter, and worried they might be too high launch for me, but what I've found is that I can get all of my irons airborne with a less effort, and the combo has done very well in the wind, despite a high ball flight (my ball may have something to do with that, too).  I've not seen any ballooning, and knocking shots down has been very easy, too. 

This is great to hear! I like to play a knock down shot from time to time. You mentioned that your ball may help too, what ball do you game? Also do you feel like distance has stayed the same or did you gain some distance?

I've played these shafts (in stiff flex) for years in a couple different sets of TourStage's, and now a set of Honmas. I can't tell any difference from the Modus 105's I had in a set of Miura Baby Blades  and a set of PXG's. That said, I'm a fan: feel good, solid ball flight. Oddly enough, I had a set of Modus 120's (also in stiff flex) in my Epon AF302's, and those shafts launched significantly higher, which is not supposed to fit the profile. Go figure.

Oh, and you can definitely knock these down, easily.

Edited by Freeze

16 hours ago, Joe Jordan said:

This is great to hear! I like to play a knock down shot from time to time. You mentioned that your ball may help too, what ball do you game? Also do you feel like distance has stayed the same or did you gain some distance?

I play the Titleist AVX, and I probably gained a half club of carry distance with these irons.  I'm not sure how much of that you can attribute to the clubheads, the shafts, the ball, or the combination of the three.

• Like 1

Srixon Zx5 MKII 9.5* Lin-Q Gunmetal 6

Callaway Paradym HL (set to 15.5*) Speeder Evolution V 661

Tour Edge Exotics E722 18* Ventus Blue 6

Cobra King Tec 4 Utility MMT 80
PXG 0311P Gen2 5-PW MMT 80

Ping Glide 4.0 50* SS, 54* WS KBS Tour
Callaway MD PM Grind Raw 58* KBS Tour
Toulon Garage Le Mans 
Titleist AVX/ProVI

• 1 month later...

Late to the party, but I also play the Nippon NS Pro 950GH in my 919s and have enjoyed them. It works well for my tempo (smooth).

I was curious if you guys wouldn't mind providing some info on the shafts you use in your other clubs?

I'm in the process of replacing the shafts on my woods/hybrids and figured this might be a good starting point.

I currently use a Mitsubishi Diamana S+ Blue in my driver (came with my Titleist 915) and have had good success with that over the years.

Srixon ZX5 MKii 9*

Callaway Epic Flash 15*

Ping G410 19*

Srixon ZX5 Irons 5-P

Cleveland RTX6 Wedges 48*/54*/60* 

Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5

Titleist ProV1

• 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...