2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Praising the Wilson 8802

1 hour ago, BraxtonFullerton said:

I just sold my 2014 Milled for $450 and moved into a Scotty Newport Classic. I've only hit 2 putts with it so far, but it's nowhere near as soft at the 8802 and I'm not sure if I'll regret this move or not...

I know that the Milled 8802s were going for mucho dollars on duh Bay--- A guy I know here works for PGASS and for some reason they did not sell well here. He bought 3 of them with his employment discount at around $80 or so each. He told me he sold two of them for around the same price as you did yours. His were unused still in the box with the headcover and all. The 3rd one he kept and you can not pull it from his cold dead fingers. I figured I would maybe regret benching my Rusty Scotty that has quite a reputation around these here parts. Of course I will never sell Rusty. funny thing is I have had that old Cleveland some 25 years. I used it quite a bit for a while in fact it shows wear on the leading edge of the sole. One of 4 putters in probably the 100 I own that will never go anywhere as long as I breathe.

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

I've thought about getting a Milled 8802, but with the prices in the stupid realm (IMHO), I think I'll be satisfied with my Cleveland, and my Golden Ram TW Custom.

The latter got a fair bit of use last year, I was putting better with it than with anything else.

Then there are my Wizard putters...

Edited by NRJyzr
  • Like 1

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

2 minutes ago, NRJyzr said:

I've thought about getting a Milled 8802, but with the prices in the stupid realm (IMHO), I think I'll be satisfied with my Cleveland, and my Golden Ram TW Custom.

The latter got a fair bit of use last year, I was putting better with it than with anything else.

I had not even considered one of the Milled 8802s when they were on the open market. But then again as habit I do not go to PGASS because nothing really appeals to me there. Everytime I find a real 8802 or 8813 I find it cheap like $5 or so I end up selling it for a huge profit. A while back I bought 2 seperate 8802s in two entirely different transactions. I think I gave $5 for one at a yard sale and gave $10 for one at the Salvation Army store. On Wednesdays I used to play at a Par 3 course in a money Shootout. Actually I worked there 2 days a week. Wednesday afternoons the Super and I were partners and we knocked off at 12 and played some practice rounds. I was playing one of the 8802s. This tourist group let us through and one of the guys asked if I had an 8802? I told him yes. He asked if I wanted to sell I said sure what you going to give me for it? He shot right off the hat $65 I said show me the money and he produced. I putted with the wedge the rest of the round. When we got to the club house I went to my truck and got the other one. We came in later after 9 more holes and the guy saw I had another one. He bought it for the same price. My partner asked now smart guy what are you putting with tonight? I told him what I planned to begin with My Zing 2. That same night was the night I had 2 HIOs in the same nine and we really cleaned up

I think I had told you before one of my scrap pile finds was a Gene Littler Ram which resembles an Ironmaster more than a 8802 still have it I think. 

• Like 3

With the similarity of the "AP Originals" to the 8802's I definitely prefer the AP version as the toe seems narrower to my eyes. I'm assuming the Wilson versions are the earliest back from when AP was Wilson Staff, followed by AP Original in the 60's made by FF (I think?). Then 90's Callaway version most recent. Always looking for these and I would appreciate it if someone could let me know if my guessed history above is correct? Thanks! 

I was also able to get a raw Cleveland Designed by Crenshaw head a few years ago. I had an old fluted shaft from another putter that I had installed on the raw Cleveland head along with a Cameron grip. Stephen8802 is right, that putter feels great.Very solid but the carbon steel head has a soft feel. I never was able to get a 1964 8802 but I do have the 1970 model. I also have the 8802 with the Original stamp on the sole. I know all of the catalogs I've seen say this model was from the early 1980's but I bought mine from a club pro who always seemed to have clubs that other pro shops couldn't get. I purchased that putter in 1974. I know it was that year because the next year I used that putter when I played in the 1975 USGA Public Links Championship in Hawaii. Several of the players in the tournament hit a few putts with it and commented they had never seen an 8802 with that stamping. The stamping is all black. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Stephen8802 said:

Legend has it that Arnie invented the putter by welding some extra flange on an Iron Master, so the style starts with him. The first was the Arnold Palmer in 1962, then the Designed By Arnold Palmer (DBAP) in 1963, which was re-named the 8802 in 1964, then replaced by the 8813 in 1965...all by Wilson. The putters through the 8802 had the Head Speed shaft with the Christmas Tree shaft band, a wand so magical that its feel is the stuff of legend.

Starting the 8813, a fluted shaft was used; why they did this is unknown, but probably the same thinking that brought us New Coke. Wilson used the Head Speed name again later with a silver and black band, but this is not the Christmas Tree shaft, so don't be fooled. Wilson came back with a decent version of the 8802 in 1970 and 1971 in either black chrome (pro shop) or painted black (retail). The black versions are heavier, mine runs 5 swing weights more than my '64.  The 8813 was available throughout the '60s and also went black in 1970. The 8802 makes another appearance in 1975, then comes back in 1983 with the word Original on the sole, but it really was a different putter; a general rule in golf is any club that has the word "original" on it is not, and not as good.

For those of us lucky to have one, only the 1964 8802 is an 8802...the rest are re-issues or reproductions and not the same. The 8813, however, is pretty consistent through the '60s. The 80s 8813 are also in name also, not the same club as the '60s version; the '60s version of the 8813 are either the rare reverse stamp model (words read with flat side up) or the version with the length stamped on the sole, either 345 or 355.

I think you are early on the Palmer The Original putter, Maltby doesn't list it until 1980 by First Flight. My memory of the putter, having worked in a pro shop starting in 1981, that it was a relatively new offering and much closer to the original than Wilson's offering at the time. I bought one a few years ago and putted with it for a while, but ended up selling it. The grip was outstanding, the shape and weight were nice, but the feel wasn't there for me.

The FF Palmer Original opened the flood gates for knock offs. At that time, every decent player on in the country was hunting for a '64 8802 and they were very hard to find in the days before the internet. There are countless copies that were produced back then, by many differnt companies and you need to judge each for yourself. I personally think the satin finish Old Master W802 is very close to the '64. I also have a chrome W802 and that feels close to the Palmer I owned...nice putter but the feel isn't as soft. The Cleveland Crenshaw I just put together has fantabulous feel...just wonderful. But then again, I put a Christmas Tree Head Speed in it, so I'm not sure if your typical off the shelf Cleveland would have the same magic.

If you are looking for one, the only rational thing to do is buy one of each and form your own opinion.

There was also an ubstantuated rumor on the 64 8802s that some of them had a unique feel different from the rest. It has never per say been proven or dis proven. A Wilso rep told my old man one time there was no set in stone metal "reciepe" for forgings on those and the "feel" may be due to a mix of metals that was accidental. The best feeling "clones" of the 8802s IMHO were some of the Old Masters and some of the Shamrock brands. Our esteemed member Augie is a big Shamrock fan and is an expert on them along with 8802s and 8813s. The Cleveland I have had for over 20 years has a great feeling for me. I think part of it is the original shaft which has a small butt diameter. I just recently put it back into play after a 7 year hiatus. For me that thing gets a hot streak like it did last Saturday and then will get cold but I will never get rid of it. Right now it has the Rusty Scotty benched until it gets cold again. I know it is working great on our grainy fast greens and puts a good roll on the ball I suspect getting it on top of some of the grain. Funny thing is in the collector world is the plain old Designed By ones like mine sell cheap where the Crenshaw ones which is the same forging with different stampings sells much higher

• Like 1

Thanks especially to Stephen for the chronology. However, I gamed an AP putter in HS in 66-68 or thereabouts so I know they existed. Had a funky brown finish amd I moved on to a Bulls Eye flange eventually. But putter was definitely not a Wilson, assume it must have been FF or whoever else was building the AP product line way back then. Sorry but have to rely upon memory that is pretty frayed anymore!

• Like 1

On 12/23/2021 at 5:07 PM, WilliePPQ said:

Thanks especially to Stephen for the chronology. However, I gamed an AP putter in HS in 66-68 or thereabouts so I know they existed. Had a funky brown finish amd I moved on to a Bulls Eye flange eventually. But putter was definitely not a Wilson, assume it must have been FF or whoever else was building the AP product line way back then. Sorry but have to rely upon memory that is pretty frayed anymore!

I may be a little sketchy here but I think the putter you are talking about was when Palmer owned part of the first Flight Group or it could have been the AP group--- That funky brown finish was an anti glare kinda raw finish. I have a later model Ironmaster with that finish plus the one I have was in a house fire supposedly. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Figured I would show up to this post a little late. Being slightly obsessed with the 8802, I have recently acquired 2 of these putters. One is a remake from I believe the 70's. The other is possible a '64, but had been re-gripped but still has the green/red triangle head speed shaft.  When you analyze the two side by side, there are actually quite a few differences. 

1)The color on the older one is not nearly as shiny. 2) The older one has a longer blade length (about 1/3 or 3/16 longer). 3) The older one has a much larger radius on the grind at the toe, the newer one is much more abrupt. 4) the top flange is wider on the older one, and also slightly shorter. Also the back side of the head is thicker. 5) the hozel length on the older one is about 1/8 taller. 6)the older one has the slight undercut on the toe. 7) the older one has an offset of a full shaft. The newer one has only half a shaft of offset. 😎 the newer one has significantly more loft than the newer one. 

The newer one has the 6" first step, and the face height is just over the height of a nickel, but quite a bit shorter than the newer one. I have seen lots of 64's that are also slightly taller, most likely due to them being hand ground. 

I have one question for everyone, the head speed sticker, I have seen ones with one triangle, like mine, which is very broad and stretches almost all the way around the putter. The other sticker has two triangles, much more narrow and will also say "made in USA" to the upper right of the sticker. Anyone else noticed this and have any insight on it?

I very much welcome any comments or insight/questions to this post!

• 2 months later...
On 3/28/2022 at 12:38 PM, Neuf86 said:

Figured I would show up to this post a little late. Being slightly obsessed with the 8802, I have recently acquired 2 of these putters. One is a remake from I believe the 70's. The other is possible a '64, but had been re-gripped but still has the green/red triangle head speed shaft.  When you analyze the two side by side, there are actually quite a few differences. 

1)The color on the older one is not nearly as shiny. 2) The older one has a longer blade length (about 1/3 or 3/16 longer). 3) The older one has a much larger radius on the grind at the toe, the newer one is much more abrupt. 4) the top flange is wider on the older one, and also slightly shorter. Also the back side of the head is thicker. 5) the hozel length on the older one is about 1/8 taller. 6)the older one has the slight undercut on the toe. 7) the older one has an offset of a full shaft. The newer one has only half a shaft of offset. 😎 the newer one has significantly more loft than the newer one. 

The newer one has the 6" first step, and the face height is just over the height of a nickel, but quite a bit shorter than the newer one. I have seen lots of 64's that are also slightly taller, most likely due to them being hand ground. 

I have one question for everyone, the head speed sticker, I have seen ones with one triangle, like mine, which is very broad and stretches almost all the way around the putter. The other sticker has two triangles, much more narrow and will also say "made in USA" to the upper right of the sticker. Anyone else noticed this and have any insight on it?

I very much welcome any comments or insight/questions to this post!

Neuf86,

May be this is what you talked bout on the shaft label. I have a '64 or '65 8802. It up it only has about 60% of the original label remaining. So for about a year or so I wanted to find another '64 or '65, may be with a schmucked up head and better shaft label at a reasonable price. You know combine the two into one better version. 

So I found were a guy was selling just the Green Triangle Head Speed shaft decal, so I bought it.

Turns out that the beat up label on the putter I have does only have one triangle and not two. The decal I bought has two triangles. And they appear to be slightly smaller.

I my still put it on some day, but I believethat Wilson Staff had a few iron sets back in those days that used True Temper Head Speed shafts and the two triangle labels may have been for the iron set shafts. ??

IMG_5971.jpeg

IMG_5974.jpeg

IMG_5968.jpeg

IMG_5970.jpeg

I have three authentic 1964 putter shafts and one Head Speed sand wedge shaft. All four have two triangles.

The first of the three putter shafts is on my '64 8802, one came on a Billy Casper and I used for my designed by Crenshaw, and the last is on a Delta.

I know that authentic 1964 8802s can have one of two step patterns, so it is certainly a possibility that they made different shaft bands over the run between 1963 and 1964. But the shaft band patterns were not specific to type of club.

2 hours ago, weakputt said:

Neuf86,

May be this is what you talked bout on the shaft label. I have a '64 or '65 8802. It up it only has about 60% of the original label remaining. So for about a year or so I wanted to find another '64 or '65, may be with a schmucked up head and better shaft label at a reasonable price. You know combine the two into one better version. 

So I found were a guy was selling just the Green Triangle Head Speed shaft decal, so I bought it.

Turns out that the beat up label on the putter I have does only have one triangle and not two. The decal I bought has two triangles. And they appear to be slightly smaller.

I my still put it on some day, but I believethat Wilson Staff had a few iron sets back in those days that used True Temper Head Speed shafts and the two triangle labels may have been for the iron set shafts. ??

IMG_5971.jpeg

IMG_5974.jpeg

IMG_5968.jpeg

IMG_5970.jpeg

The Head Speed iron shaft labels I've seen had a flex designation. Since your label has none I would assume it's for a putter.

14 minutes ago, raggal62 said:

The Head Speed iron shaft labels I've seen had a flex designation. Since your label has none I would assume it's for a putter.

Yes, good point about the flex designation.

I think I am just going to keep the new shaft label and not place it on the putter.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone,

I purchased my 8802 probably 15 years ago from 2nd Swing Golf’s bargain section. I may have paid $25 for it. What a find!

I’m not sure about the age or pedigree of this putter, but I utilize the “open and close” method with this heel shafted marvel, and I’m a veritable lock from 3 feet or so. 

Young guys always give a little chuckle when they see it. I’ve beat a lot of guys with this old baby…a lot of guys. 

FAC76537-C76C-4052-8BED-F2026D07802A.jpeg

F6616549-5A08-4150-9879-74AFAED2606B.jpeg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I had a few 8802's. One I gave to a kid who was just taking up the game. There is still a late 70's 8802 around here I got at a pro shop at a golf course closed for a couple decades now.. I never was good with them, missed everything right. It was quickly replaced with a Ping Anser my son plays every round to this day.

Edited by Esox

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...
On 7/24/2022 at 9:15 PM, Oldmancranking said:

Hi everyone,

I purchased my 8802 probably 15 years ago from 2nd Swing Golf’s bargain section. I may have paid $25 for it. What a find!

I’m not sure about the age or pedigree of this putter, but I utilize the “open and close” method with this heel shafted marvel, and I’m a veritable lock from 3 feet or so. 

Young guys always give a little chuckle when they see it. I’ve beat a lot of guys with this old baby…a lot of guys. 

FAC76537-C76C-4052-8BED-F2026D07802A.jpeg

F6616549-5A08-4150-9879-74AFAED2606B.jpeg

It is funny with me I have always liked the looks and style of Ironmasters ( forgive me I am a Mac man) or 8802s. I have different versions from different companies. Never really could putt consistent with them. I have a couple of times for a short period caught lightning in a jar for a couple of weeks with one of my old Ironmasters or my Cleveland Designed by 8802. I mess with them now in my vintage rounds. Does my heart good to hear someone taking people's money with an old putter. I have my version of it but newer than yours as far as age goes but old enough in certain circles. That 1997 Sante Fe in my signature is that. It is rusty banged up and lead taped but it sure rolls them well. I drives the prim and proper shiny Scotty crowd wild. On this end of the beach it is known as that Rusty SOB Scotty.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, BIG STU said:

It is funny with me I have always liked the looks and style of Ironmasters ( forgive me I am a Mac man) or 8802s. I have different versions from different companies. Never really could putt consistent with them. I have a couple of times for a short period caught lightning in a jar for a couple of weeks with one of my old Ironmasters or my Cleveland Designed by 8802. I mess with them now in my vintage rounds. Does my heart good to hear someone taking people's money with an old putter. I have my version of it but newer than yours as far as age goes but old enough in certain circles. That 1997 Sante Fe in my signature is that. It is rusty banged up and lead taped but it sure rolls them well. I drives the prim and proper shiny Scotty crowd wild. On this end of the beach it is known as that Rusty SOB Scotty.

@BIG STU’s post = conjuring images in my mind… of Big Stu as a real-life Roy “Tin Cup” McAvoy… playing with tourists with shiny Scotty Camerons thinking they’re gonna hustle him (and then ends with Big Stu hustling them instead)

image.jpeg.10984cb98bb9008a45d38e32cb38a106.jpeg

Edited by JungleJimbo
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, JungleJimbo said:

@BIG STU’s post = conjuring images in my mind… of Big Stu as a real-life Roy “Tin Cup” McAvoy… playing with tourists with shiny Scotty Camerons thinking they’re gonna hustle him (and then ends with Big Stu hustling them instead)

image.jpeg.10984cb98bb9008a45d38e32cb38a106.jpeg

LOL wishful thinking lately----- My game has went to crap the last month and a half. I can hit the driver fairly straight but not far. Can not hit a GIR to save my life. Wedge game lately sucks. My putting was sucking but I finally got that back. I never had a real handicap but one time and that at its best was a 2. Since I joined the Men's League at my course it is at 15 right now which is embarrassing. But I am still trying to find my way with new equipment and since I am pretty much healed up I am swinging harder and trying to get things timed up. I realize in reality that I may never get back to 2 or 5 again but I would like to get back to single digit even if it is a 9. But in my league of 75 handicap keeping players I am 36 in the standings. Right now course conditions are not helping me or anyone else. Right now I am playing 5 to 6 days a week and I am erratic to say the least. One day I can shoot 77 and the next day shoot 90. LOL one day last week I had 4 birdies and still shot 82 but I won the birdie pool and our team finished 2nd on the team deal. I am still trying to come to the terms of that I am 66 years old with a busted back and shoulder. I also have to remind myself I am lucky to even be able to play. Now I did put the old blades in the bag last week and played 5 days straight. Friday I will admit I was dragging the last 4 holes. Not hurting but physically exhausted. But I did decide to put the lighter graphite shafted irons back in. Due to diet and exercise I have lost 10 lbs the last month. One of my well meaning friends thinks I am pushing too hard. I am taking 3 days straight off from golf did not play yesterday and I never play on Sunday and I am not playing Monday. This week it is Tuesday and Thursday league play. Wednesday I may play the small money game. Friday afternoon it is the 9 and dine with the wife. Saturday it may be fill in on a Shootout team if not I will stay home. I quit being a Captain and fielding a Shootout Team a month and a half ago. I will fill in if someone asks me to.

Sorry to ramble this early

• Like 3

3 hours ago, BIG STU said:

LOL wishful thinking lately----- My game has went to crap the last month and a half. I can hit the driver fairly straight but not far. Can not hit a GIR to save my life. Wedge game lately sucks. My putting was sucking but I finally got that back. I never had a real handicap but one time and that at its best was a 2. Since I joined the Men's League at my course it is at 15 right now which is embarrassing. But I am still trying to find my way with new equipment and since I am pretty much healed up I am swinging harder and trying to get things timed up. I realize in reality that I may never get back to 2 or 5 again but I would like to get back to single digit even if it is a 9. But in my league of 75 handicap keeping players I am 36 in the standings. Right now course conditions are not helping me or anyone else. Right now I am playing 5 to 6 days a week and I am erratic to say the least. One day I can shoot 77 and the next day shoot 90. LOL one day last week I had 4 birdies and still shot 82 but I won the birdie pool and our team finished 2nd on the team deal. I am still trying to come to the terms of that I am 66 years old with a busted back and shoulder. I also have to remind myself I am lucky to even be able to play. Now I did put the old blades in the bag last week and played 5 days straight. Friday I will admit I was dragging the last 4 holes. Not hurting but physically exhausted. But I did decide to put the lighter graphite shafted irons back in. Due to diet and exercise I have lost 10 lbs the last month. One of my well meaning friends thinks I am pushing too hard. I am taking 3 days straight off from golf did not play yesterday and I never play on Sunday and I am not playing Monday. This week it is Tuesday and Thursday league play. Wednesday I may play the small money game. Friday afternoon it is the 9 and dine with the wife. Saturday it may be fill in on a Shootout team if not I will stay home. I quit being a Captain and fielding a Shootout Team a month and a half ago. I will fill in if someone asks me to.

Hey we are the same age! lol

Good for you with the weight loss. That's big at our age.

Also, a thought on getting tired on the last few holes. Me, too. So about 12th hole, or earlier if I'm not feeling great, I pop a couple excedrins, not for pain but for the "good feeling". Has caffeine but is better than just that! I feel good closing out the round. Been doing it for years. Just a thought!

Sure enjoy your commentaries!

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, BIG STU said:

I am glad you are losing weight, it will be good for your health long term. I tend to agree with your well meaning friend and caution that pushing too hard can not only cause frustration, it can lead to injuries. Swinging harder at this stage is not the answer. Finding a swing that is sustainable is the key to old man (consistent) boring golf.

You are very fortunate to being able to play at all and that is in itself a blessing. I have learned that comparing myself to my prior self even twenty years ago is unfair and fruitless. 

Stu, I have a great respect for you since we have been introduced on this site. I encourage you to embrace the game that you have as a 66 year old and try and relax. Take it from this old geezer that has seen better days but loves to play.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MrFlipper said:

Hey we are the same age! lol

Good for you with the weight loss. That's big at our age.

Also, a thought on getting tired on the last few holes. Me, too. So about 12th hole, or earlier if I'm not feeling great, I pop a couple excedrins, not for pain but for the "good feeling". Has caffeine but is better than just that! I feel good closing out the round. Been doing it for years. Just a thought!

Sure enjoy your commentaries!

Thanks--- Not tooting my own horn but basically I have came a long way since joining the Men's League and playing 4 or 5 times a week. Back in March I could not get past like 14 holes in a scramble. I did switch to the graphites and it made a difference. One of my buds noted that a month and a half ago I would get tired after one day. Now I play 4 or 5 times a week on average. I think what got me was I got c0cky and put the steel shafted blades in the bag and then played 6 rounds in 7 days. I basically ran myself down plus for the first time in 3 years I am doing my yard work with a new Push mower. Now I did not hurt my back but as I said before I simply ran out of gas

• Like 2

• 1 month later...